Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Aug 2018, 10:05 (Ref:3845143)   #31
Simon Hadfield
Racer

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is nothing to do with the FIA, as described above, in their eyes nothing has changed. ASNs are completely sovereign in their own borders, and any cross recognition of licences etc is, providing it meets certain statutes, an issue only for those ASNs concerned.
They do still have a carnet department however!
Old 21 Aug 2018, 10:07 (Ref:3845145)   #32
bauble
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire almost in Pakistan
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Having no vested interest in the subject, not even owning a passport, I should not comment, however, one point that makes me wonder is how do the customs (whoever they are) value a forty odd year old car?

You pay several £10,000's for a 1965 F3 car for instance (figure plucked from the ether), but at the end of the day it is an obsolete model, and worth only scrap value like any old banger.

Is there a book value available for official use?
Surely the value of any object is what someone is willing to pay for it, and who wants an out-dated racing car?

Just wondering.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 10:12 (Ref:3845146)   #33
Simon Hadfield
Racer

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Auction results, any one of the internet race car sales sites, private ads, there is a huge resource available to HMC.
A mate of mine bought a used Cannondale bike frame in the States on one of our trips, bought it home hand baggage and HMC valued it to within £10 of the price he paid privately.
They do know their job.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 10:28 (Ref:3845148)   #34
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

England
Mallory Park
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As ever Simon is talking bucket loads of common sense, and as he says we are all mushrooms.

On a lighter note, in my day in the late 70's and early 80's we always bought packets of 100 Marlboro's in the Duty Free Shop on the boat out and always found Customs men to be very helpful, but that was when the world was sensible
Old 21 Aug 2018, 10:29 (Ref:3845149)   #35
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield View Post
Auction results, any one of the internet race car sales sites, private ads, there is a huge resource available to HMC.
A mate of mine bought a used Cannondale bike frame in the States on one of our trips, bought it home hand baggage and HMC valued it to within £10 of the price he paid privately.
They do know their job.
Thanks Simon, the HMC know how to extract money from any situation …. well not from multi-national conglomerates - of course.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 10:51 (Ref:3845153)   #36
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield View Post
They do know their job.
Before the interweb became so popular they apparently asked people like Coys.
I wonder if they still use them?

Nowadays they apparently use "market value", so even if you have been lucky enough to buy something cheap the costs are based on a "real-world" value.

It was different before - one time when I was importing a large French car the customs guy said "that wasn't very expensive", I replied that it was all I could afford!

Another time a friend had just negotiated the import of a classic car, that was surprisingly affordable, and the customs officer said "That was cheap, I've just finished restoring a T-type MG"!
Old 21 Aug 2018, 11:02 (Ref:3845155)   #37
coppice
Racer

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcoppice should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcoppice should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Didn't some of them blighters shoot down your uncle?

Too funny . They did , of course, but unlike some of Mr Johnson's more rabid fans , my sense of identity doesn't stop with a rose tinted D Day with a Vera Lynn soundtrack .
Old 21 Aug 2018, 12:25 (Ref:3845171)   #38
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Too funny . They did , of course, but unlike some of Mr Johnson's more rabid fans , my sense of identity doesn't stop with a rose tinted D Day with a Vera Lynn soundtrack .
The same blighters nearly killed me twice, with their bombs, and I spent a childhood in fear of Doodlebugs, so pardon me if I am less than enthusiastic about a united Eurpoe.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 13:02 (Ref:3845190)   #39
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
23/06/2016- that’s a long time ago, and where are we? Nowhere!

As has been said, the politicians involved in ongoing discussions will not be the slightest bit interested in how it affects motorsport around Europe, but if the eventual agreeement is for a ‘hard’ exit, then we have cause to be concerned. We are indeed mushrooms, and will likely be kept completely in the dark until the lights are suddenly turned on.....

I’m as far removed from being knowledgeable on the subject as anyone, but IMHO unless the unlikely happens and the agreement doesn’t affect borders and movement, then there is going to be a lot of scrambling around to sort out the detail- and it could be a very messy start to 2019...
Old 21 Aug 2018, 13:45 (Ref:3845200)   #40
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Switzerland is a member of EFTA. Additionally Switzerland has a number of seperate agreements with EU.

(EFTA) = European Free Trade Association

EFTA has deals in place with the EU, which make goods traffic easier.

UK is not a member of the EFTA

Consequence: what happens at the Swiss / EU border is different to what will happen at UK / EU border, should there be no exit treaty.
Then the UK is a 3rd party state and WTO terms apply

Personally I am very much in favor of applying WTO terms to EU / UK goods traffic in both ways after Brexit. But that is, of course, my own personal opinion

RuE
Old 21 Aug 2018, 14:13 (Ref:3845205)   #41
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
Consequence: what happens at the Swiss / EU border is different to what will happen at UK / EU border, should there be no exit treaty.
Then the UK is a 3rd party state and WTO terms apply

Personally I am very much in favor of applying WTO terms to EU / UK goods traffic in both ways after Brexit. But that is, of course, my own personal opinion

RuE
That of course is the "no deal" Brexit which as you can see is not "no deal".
Old 21 Aug 2018, 15:07 (Ref:3845212)   #42
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!
Click image for larger version

Name:	THIS ONE.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	51789 Come on down and join me Delta
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Aug 2018, 18:18 (Ref:3845241)   #43
zefarelly
Veteran

England
zefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have you got a Spanish Passport Gordon?
Old 21 Aug 2018, 18:25 (Ref:3845242)   #44
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Have you got a Spanish Passport Gordon?
No but the guy on the passport control at Almeria airport always give me a wave when we are queuing up
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Aug 2018, 18:25 (Ref:3845243)   #45
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He doesn't and won't need one. Where is this bullshit coming from? He had a UK passport when he bought the place.