Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 6 Jul 2019, 15:03 (Ref:3916147)   #1
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
CTMP Mosport IMSA Round

Since there's no race thread yet and the action got started yesterday, I'll start a thread for Mosport's IMSA event.

Weekend race hub from IMSA:

https://sportscarchampionship.imsa.c...car-grand-prix

Any moderator or admin who has elements that they'd like to add, feel free to do so.

One noteworthy piece of news is that the #48 Paul Miller Lamborghini has been withdrawn after it was damaged beyond immediate repair after a heavy crash in FP3 this morning.
Old 6 Jul 2019, 16:49 (Ref:3916156)   #2
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Live quali on IMSA.tv. Started at 11:35 a.m. Eastern
Old 6 Jul 2019, 17:24 (Ref:3916161)   #3
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
-Wow the GTD grid has taken a beating in the past week. Hopefully we can get as many as possible to be there for Lime Rock. Important since that is an all GT race.

-Trent Hindmans' Acura did not win the pole this time! But we have seen the BMW M6 does well at these middle of the season tracks. This driver Robbie Foley, don't know much about him. But he ain't no slouch though.

-And also BMW M8 wins a rare pole in GTLM. I don't think they have ever gone 1-2 in qualifying but they did so. I feel Porsche's win streak ends on Sunday. Don't know by whom, but advantage team R.L.L for now.

-Glad to see Porsche going back to factory livery at Lime Rock. Like the white/black/red look ever since it came in 2017. Worried about that going away with the RSR debuting in 2020.
Old 6 Jul 2019, 17:47 (Ref:3916166)   #4
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I feel bad for Bryan Sellers. Still one of the top drivers in IMSA and we have not even heard much of him at all this year. He goes from having the best co driver in Madison Snow to the worst in Ryan Hardwick. Everytime Sellers gets the wheel the car is already out of contention. Did Sellers even drive at Watkins Glen during the race? I think the #48 Lambo was out by the 4th hour. And now they are out due to Hardwick's practice crash.
Old 6 Jul 2019, 17:47 (Ref:3916167)   #5
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Paul Miller has a spare chassis at the shop in Braselton so I'd expect they're going to be at the race. It sounds like they aren't happy with the P2 car that punted them off track though.
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 6 Jul 2019, 17:48 (Ref:3916168)   #6
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
On the Porsche color schemes it probably will be like the car run at Goodwood. Porsche motorsport has said that the WEC cars at least will be mostly white and greyish silver. Daily Sports Car has an article about the color schemes.
Old 6 Jul 2019, 17:49 (Ref:3916169)   #7
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Yeah, I'm hoping GTD is a little more back together for the next round.

It's good to see the M8 having a strong showing in GTLM.

I can see why the Nissan sin't getting the race results. Holy hell! The way Colin is having the fling that thing around and hang on for dear life over the curbs like that to get the lap time, jeez; it's little wonder that car's been going off the rails at some point during the races.
Old 6 Jul 2019, 18:06 (Ref:3916172)   #8
HighParker
Rookie

Canada
Toronto
HighParker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For many years now, going back to at least to the time of ALMS, there's been a promo event on the Wednesday before the race, usually at Yonge-Dundas Square in downtown Toronto, though once it was at a big box store complex in Bowmanville. I don't think there was one this year, unless they somehow failed to mention it on their website.
To get a little off-topic, I didn't realize the likes of Roger Penske and Bob Holbert had been racing here in Ontario even before Mosport existed.
http://www.canadianracer.com/harewood.asp
Harewood Acres became an oil refinery, while Edenvale is still an airfield and was in the news last week as the location of a cancelled classic rock festival.

Last edited by HighParker; 6 Jul 2019 at 18:15.
Old 6 Jul 2019, 18:49 (Ref:3916177)   #9
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Braun sets the lap record on way to pole for Core Nissan

http://results.imsa.com/Results/19_2...Qualifying.PDF

The other Japanese cars make up the top 5 before you get the the contingent of Caddys

Edit: I wonder if Core will elect to start with Bennett instead of Braun like they did last season and start from the rear of the proto field?

Last edited by joeb; 6 Jul 2019 at 18:58.
Old 6 Jul 2019, 19:16 (Ref:3916186)   #10
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Undoubtedly a record for the DPI era, but Dindo is still fastest man around Mosport. How long, though, is a question.
Old 6 Jul 2019, 21:09 (Ref:3916201)   #11
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Undoubtedly a record for the DPI era, but Dindo is still fastest man around Mosport. How long, though, is a question.
That's like arguing a GTLM record shouldn't count because Dindo was faster. It's a different class and the lap record for the cars on track was reset and improved from last year. They didn't say anything about fastest ever lap time which would be a different class of car.
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 6 Jul 2019, 22:31 (Ref:3916208)   #12
MaskedRacer
Veteran

I don't see why CORE still tries to win poles then. Are there bonus points for that? Well if IMSA really wants to discourage the qualifying/starting driver change, then have them start in the back of the overall field behind the GT cars rather than just the prototypes.

Also I think they should do away with having all of the DPI's start in front of the other classes automatically at the restart after the safety car.....

or something better.....

institute Code 60/FCY for any situations involving stalled cars or debris.
Old 6 Jul 2019, 22:52 (Ref:3916212)   #13
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
I don't see why CORE still tries to win poles then. Are there bonus points for that? Well if IMSA really wants to discourage the qualifying/starting driver change, then have them start in the back of the overall field behind the GT cars rather than just the prototypes.

Also I think they should do away with having all of the DPI's start in front of the other classes automatically at the restart after the safety car.....

or something better.....

institute Code 60/FCY for any situations involving stalled cars or debris.
The Code 60 bit will never fly with either IMSA or their insurance. They just aren't going to let people on track without a SC style bunching. That ship and ability has sailed away and it's not coming back and time soon.

As for them running for pole, they like it so why knock it? They're here, they've spent millions of his money to play so let them play. What does it hurt the series, the race or other teams if they want to go fast and throw down a lap time? It keeps their pro driver happy in the car.
Old 6 Jul 2019, 23:36 (Ref:3916221)   #14
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
In keeping with their usual habit, according to everyone's favorite "reporter:"

The No. 54 Nissan DPi, however, will start from the rear of the DPi field on Sunday following a decision to switch starting drivers to team owner/driver Jon Bennett, as well as changing tires. Braun said in the post-qualifying press conference that he would be “surprised” if he were to start the race. From S365 notes for the weekend.

Including a few comments about next season with some unrest in the GTD ranks with a couple teams looking at new manufacturers for 2020.
Old 7 Jul 2019, 00:07 (Ref:3916227)   #15
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Well, if we're comparing top class to top class, then the Core Nissan DPI is still over .5 of a second slower than the old Audi R10 was. I do suspect that with some development that a DPI will be faster around Mosport in a year, two at the very extreme most.

It's just like comparing GTE/GTLM to GT1 They're basically as fast as GT1 cars now. And with their aero packages, they're only 1100kg minimum weight, 600-650bhp and carbon brakes away from doing what a GT1 could do now.

Big reason for this, of course, is tires. GTLMs also have less rubber on the road than the GT1s did, same with LMP1 vs DPI. But that's been erased by what Michelin have done.