Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Nov 2002, 21:58 (Ref:439056)   #1
Guy Goddard2
Racer

Guy Goddard2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Luca Badoer

Why has this driver been a test driver for so long and not produced a full time drive and why are Ferrari keeping hold of him for such a lengthy period when other teams change test drivers almost every season.
Most test drivers hold out for their chance of stepping in to a top drive if one of the regular drivers is injured however Ferrari have shown they are not prepared to give Badoer a chance when Salo was given the "stand in postion" in 99.
What im saying is if he is "highly rated" then why is he still a test driver and why stay with a team who do not have the believe he can handle it in a race or is it that Badoer simply thinks he's a lucky man to have any sort of drive in F1 all be it a lacky for ....sorry forgotten his name, uuummm German, fixes races and has a contract preventing others from racing him ..oh you know!!

Regards

Guy
Old 28 Nov 2002, 22:21 (Ref:439074)   #2
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Luca Badoer is God, without a doubt the most underrated driver of all time. IF....if the Ferraris were allowed to race and Luca was in the 2nd seat it would be like Senna and Prost in the McLarens. Instead Micheals teammate is always some half-cocked dolt who might challenge him every now and again but nothing serious. Its a shame hes never gotten a competitive ride even though he took some of the biggest trashpiles on the grid into point scoring positions although he never has scored a point. Remember the 99 Euro gp where he went from 19th to 4th but then his transmission crapped out on him? Luca never got a single break in his career.
Old 29 Nov 2002, 03:14 (Ref:439167)   #3
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by JonesF1
Luca Badoer is God, without a doubt the most underrated driver of all time.
Your kidding, right?
Old 29 Nov 2002, 08:15 (Ref:439221)   #4
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Remember the 99 Euro gp where he went from 19th to 4th but then his transmission crapped out on him? Luca never got a single break in his career.
I cried that day.

I think the main reason Luca has never been given a ride at Ferrari is the 'Ivan Capelli curse'. Ferrari don't want an Italian race driver.
Old 29 Nov 2002, 13:09 (Ref:439380)   #5
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And he outpaced Marc Gene all year, but at the end of it Gene was hailed as a rare talent and Badoer was back on the scrapheap.

If he'd kept going Badoer would have been second or third-if only...
Old 29 Nov 2002, 13:35 (Ref:439398)   #6
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
JonesF1, is it sunny on planet delusion?

Please tell me, if Ferrari have Michael's equal signed up (at a massively discounted price) why are'nt they using him?

Back to the serious question. LB is good, not great. Ferrari probably keep him around because he's a bloody good tester. It's not like he's helped develope poor cars.

How have those red cars gone recently?
Old 29 Nov 2002, 13:35 (Ref:439399)   #7
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
Your kidding, right?

You dare to question God?!

Old 29 Nov 2002, 20:00 (Ref:439589)   #8
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
JonesF1, is it sunny on planet delusion?

Please tell me, if Ferrari have Michael's equal signed up (at a massively discounted price) why are'nt they using him?

Back to the serious question. LB is good, not great. Ferrari probably keep him around because he's a bloody good tester. It's not like he's helped develope poor cars.

How have those red cars gone recently?
So I like Luca, shoot me. And why havent they used him the 5 or so times he shouldve have been racing (he is the back up driver after all)? Thats what I would like to know.
Old 29 Nov 2002, 20:19 (Ref:439594)   #9
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I really don't know what di Montezemolo, Toad or Brawn have been smoking when they chose Mika instead of Luca...

Must be the heavy stuff...

I like Luca, but to say that he is God is a bit of an overstatement to say the least.

Last edited by ASCII Man; 29 Nov 2002 at 20:20.
Old 29 Nov 2002, 23:39 (Ref:439722)   #10
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I'm Italian, and I'd love to say Luca is the greatest, but he's not... he's a darn fine test driver though!

Now, if you wanna talk talented Italian drivers that never got a chance at Ferrari, look no further than (IMHO), the second best driver in F1 - Fisichella!
Old 29 Nov 2002, 23:50 (Ref:439731)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

IMO

1 JV (no doubt about it)
2 TGF
3 Kimi
4 JPM (very close to Kimi)
5 Jos
6 DC
7 Webber
8 Barichello
9 Fisi
10 Massa

Sorry to be off-topic here!

Last edited by ASCII Man; 29 Nov 2002 at 23:59.
Old 30 Nov 2002, 00:01 (Ref:439739)   #12
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Trying to bait me... nice try, no dice
Old 30 Nov 2002, 02:11 (Ref:439815)   #13
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Well he loses credability from line 1
Old 30 Nov 2002, 02:34 (Ref:439826)   #14
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:"
IMO

1 JV (no doubt about it)
2 TGF
3 Kimi
4 JPM (very close to Kimi)
5 Jos..."

JV...1st?!!!

Luca is a wonderful test driver. I'm sure he's rather happy to be where he is, and i wish him all the best in his career. But to say he's the best driver?

Perhaps the reason why they chose Mika over Luca is because Ferrari is scared that Luca may perform well and hence be snatched by a rival team...
Old 30 Nov 2002, 02:47 (Ref:439838)   #15
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He's a good tester and seems to really dialed into what TGF likes in his cars. Badoer has been described as one of the rare drivers who can adopt another driver's style and understand waht the other driver wants.
Clearly, he's still at Ferrari because Schumacher values his contribution highly.

For Badoer, its a steady gig; he speaks the language and he has the pride of being an indespensible part of the equation which equals success. I can fully understand the relationship form both sides.
Old 30 Nov 2002, 06:50 (Ref:439901)   #16
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Felt sorry for the guy when his Minardi broke at the european GP in 99; standing there at the side of the track wondering what might have been... Still at least Gene scored points for them
Old 30 Nov 2002, 10:53 (Ref:439998)   #17
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Luca never got a single break in his career.
It wasn't him who won the F3000 title when he was the only guy with the monoshock car then??