Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Aug 2009, 16:50 (Ref:2522404)   #1
mk1mart
Rookie

England
Reading
mk1mart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MG Magnette touring car info

Hello all.

I was hoping some of you clever kind people could help me out with some information rules specs etc on mg magnettes.
My dad pased away a fiew months ago and left us with 3 magnettes in various states but after alot of thourt i have decided that i want to duild the zb veritone my dad had started to restore as a classic touring.
The car was fitted with a 1622 engine and twin carbs some time ago and i no my dad wanted to keep it this style of modification. Keeps the cars charictor from back in the days it was modified and enjoied by the previous owner.

I was hoping for tome pictures of cars in period i could replicate and also find out what alterations if any thay eould of done to the cars.

Any other information would also be very appriciated. Thank you.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 07:34 (Ref:2522780)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Contact Andy Meesham at the CTCRC here is the contact page http://www.classictouringcars.com/pages/contact.asp The car would be at home in the clubs Pre 66 Classics and was originally formed around cars like the Magnette. I am sure he could put you on to someone who maybe able to help, all i know about them is they somewhat sadly used to make a fine banger racer which is where a lot of them went!
Old 17 Aug 2009, 10:00 (Ref:2522850)   #3
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
I have to ask what you mean by 'classic touring'?
- road runs (non-competitive)
- road rallies / regularity runs in UK
- FIA-type Regularity rallies (i.e. international)
- circuit racing with clubs like CTCRC
each will need a completely different specification....
Old 17 Aug 2009, 10:01 (Ref:2522851)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I loved those Magnettes; my Dad had one. It would be good to see another in historic racing, and I think that this might be better in the Historic Racing Today forum, so I'm moving it there.

The 1622cc was a later engine (albeit only an increase on the capacity of the 1489cc), although I think it always had twin carbs, but I'm pretty sure the Masters 'Oldies but Goldies' series would also accommodate it.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 10:45 (Ref:2522872)   #5
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks guys Martin is a Delta race mechanic you might of guessed that with his spelling.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 12:33 (Ref:2522946)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Which begs the question, Iain, why aren't you helping him? Doesn't he trust you to give sound advice?
Old 17 Aug 2009, 13:16 (Ref:2522974)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
there are a few racers about, at a guess they're MGB's underneath, but the CTCRC and ObG regs would be the first reference point, spec the car to maximise its eligibility would be my advice, in doing that you'll inadvertantly be historically correct, and most likely uncompetitive . . . but you'll have a nice car!
Old 17 Aug 2009, 13:40 (Ref:2522997)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Which begs the question, Iain, why aren't you helping him? Doesn't he trust you to give sound advice?
My phone often ring's John
Iain,were you given those jet settings I phoned through?
Martin,cut out the middle man,Iain has my number.
As Zef just said,it is an earlier version of the B and most of the Mods for the B work on the Magnette.Dont try doing what the works did for Nancy Mitchell and bolt on all ally panels!.You will need to loose as much weight as possible,then you could start on the car. 1622 will respond to a 60thou bore,decent Burgess Head/Cam but you are stuck with twin 1 3/4 SUs.
1.5 Deg Neg on the front along with 660lb lowered springs,3/4in ARB,decent uprated shockers with some Rock Oil in them.
Rear end will need springs re-tempered with the same treatment to the shockers. See you in it at the Six Hour?
Not really sure but I think there was one works car with an MGA twink in it,I doubt as to it ever being homologated though. Welcome to the 'Empty Pocket Club'.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 14:05 (Ref:2523020)   #9
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Of corse i am John. First he has to finnish off a Delta FF2000 that he will race next year.Im letting him out in my car at Brands next month. Im sure Gordon will be on hand for advice.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 14:13 (Ref:2523032)   #10
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Welcome to the 'Empty Pocket Club'. Thanks Terrance should of asked you first. Funny you should say that, Martin had a run at mallory a couple of weeks ago and we were having a bit of banter at signing on and Mr Hadfield said the same thing to him.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 15:07 (Ref:2523053)   #11
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
As Al said there's been a few in CTCRC over the years - browse here
http://www.classictouringcars.com/pages/rolhon.asp
and plenty of names to follow up...
Old 17 Aug 2009, 18:30 (Ref:2523159)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Zef,

If its got a 1622 it won't be historically correct. That engine was used by BMC to get rid of the final batch of MGA twinks in 1959 (ish), they called them the De Luxe, so certainly never fitted as OE in a Magnette.

My advice is go oldies but Goldies and run it as Terry suggests. Although I think there may also be some latitude with Carb size as well.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 19:48 (Ref:2523189)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Speak with Andy I am sure it would be allowed to run at 1622, we are not FIA Apps K and try to be a bit more accomadating while keeping with the spirit of historic racing for example 1500cc Angleboxes allowed as racing them as a 1200 would be pointless.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 11:46 (Ref:2523627)   #14
mk1mart
Rookie

England
Reading
mk1mart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks everybody.

So the MGB suspension is similar then terrance? That should make life easy for me.
What about brakes? Will MGB discs fit on the front if rules allow this?

Im realy looking forward to racing the ff2000 at brans and fingers crossed i dont make myself loook silly. HAHA

Thanks again.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 12:45 (Ref:2523681)   #15
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1mart View Post
thanks everybody.

So the MGB suspension is similar then terrance? That should make life easy for me.

Im realy looking forward to racing the ff2000 at brans and fingers crossed i dont make myself loook silly. HAHA

Thanks again.
HRSR, who race with the HSCC, would also welcome this car. If it was available in period with a 1622 cc engine you would be allowed to increase the engine size by, I think, 10.5%. We are considering allowing 50's cars to increase capacity by 12.5% which would nicely allow the 1798cc MGB engine plus a small overbore. We are also considering a season's end trophy for the best 50s car running with the normal HRSR classes.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 13:08 (Ref:2523698)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was built with a 1498 (ish) cc B series engine. So 12.5% would be 1685.

The blocks are, I believe, the same all through the range.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 14:17 (Ref:2523734)   #17
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Did'nt the B engine grow a couple of extra main bearings?
Old 18 Aug 2009, 15:09 (Ref:2523754)   #18
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1mart View Post
thanks everybody.

Thanks again.
You would need to be looking at MGA [Late] for disc brakes.Slightly different from B.The same suspension mods do apply though.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 15:24 (Ref:2523759)   #19
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yes I though the later engines were 5 bearing, here is quite an interesting article about putting a 'B' 5 bearing unit into a Magnette, it is of course a different block from original so doubt it would be eligible for much with the B unit fitted. http://www.mgcars.org.uk/mgccz/Artic...800upgrade.pdf
Old 18 Aug 2009, 18:27 (Ref:2523860)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Yes I though the later engines were 5 bearing, here is quite an interesting article about putting a 'B' 5 bearing unit into a Magnette, it is of course a different block from original so doubt it would be eligible for much with the B unit fitted. http://www.mgcars.org.uk/mgccz/Artic...800upgrade.pdf
Yes Al, but that was 1966 and waaay past the B series we are discussing.

The original 3 bearing ran fron 1200cc (in the A40 Devon I think) through 1498, in which form it was put into the Z, MGA, Farina Magnettes and of course the Cambridge/Oxford range, then to 1798cc in the MGB.

Worth checking but I think it also appeared in the Riley 15/50 and the Wolsely 1500.

Later they built the five bearing which went on to power (I use the term loosely) the MGB to 1981 and the Morris Marina.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 19:12 (Ref:2523883)   #21
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
so an 1800TC Marina is the ideal donor vehicle

although you'd want to break it before taking it home for fear of the neighbours getting onto the environmental health dept
Old 18 Aug 2009, 19:16 (Ref:2523885)   #22
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Also Clarkson and co may drop a piano on it from a large height.

This car in the link below (Wolseley 1500 essentially the same vehicle) is currently running with CTCRC and may well be out at Brands this Saturday, why not come down for a look and chat with the owner. http://www.snappyracers.com/album/25.../IMG_0045.html

BTW Peter knows where a Marina TC is and the man has threatened to make it into a race car!
Old 18 Aug 2009, 20:10 (Ref:2523922)   #23
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Why not? The works built one for rallying and pretty quick as well,once they'd dialed out the Americanesque cornering attitude.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 20:12 (Ref:2523924)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes Al, but that was 1966 and waaay past the B series we are discussing.

Try Oct 1964.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 02:18 (Ref:2524090)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ta, I'm away from my Books. But the point is still valid.