Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Mar 2005, 19:38 (Ref:1252780)   #51
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
I think this thread could be easely merged with the main "possible P2s" one

I'll let it here one days or two.

Last edited by Fab; 15 Mar 2005 at 19:39.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 19:39 (Ref:1252781)   #52
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Will the Radical accept a range of different engines?
Old 15 Mar 2005, 19:45 (Ref:1252788)   #53
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yes it will definatley accept the Judd and the Nick-Mac. Full story and spec will be in the June issue of Racecar Engineering

Last edited by ss_collins; 15 Mar 2005 at 19:45.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 21:26 (Ref:1252883)   #54
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cool. I don't know if it will be super competitive being so cheap, unless they're going to cover the extra cost of building a good LMP2 car with their other sales or something along those lines.
Still, if they design it simply enough in terms of its construction, we may see owners modifying their own cars, with the money they save. If nothing else, it will help the customer teams enter more races, which is good for the sport, and the class of racing.

I wonder if the powers-that-be had this kind of announcement in mind when they formulated the new rules?
Old 15 Mar 2005, 22:15 (Ref:1252942)   #55
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
All information about the project is available on http://www.radicalmotorsport.com/new.../sr9/index.php. Extremely high resolution rendering of the car: here

The chassis will be designed by Peter Elleray (remember the Bentley GTP ) and their own Chief Engineer Nick Walford.

Engine options: Judd V8, Nicholson-McLaren and Radical's one engine (3 liter Powertec V8)

Price info:
Quote:
A key feature of the SR9 will be its price.

“Our philosophy is to expend as much effort on engineering a car to a price as we do on the car’s performance,” continues Mick Hyde. “The rolling chassis will cost £120,000 ($228,000) to £130,000 ($247,000), with the engine and ancillaries costing another £30,000 ($57,000). We believe this will bring a lot more racers into prototype racing - people who previously considered it too expensive.”

Last edited by gwyllion; 15 Mar 2005 at 22:20.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 22:43 (Ref:1252975)   #56
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
Engine options: Judd V8, Nicholson-McLaren and Radical's one engine (3 liter Powertec V8)
This Powertec V8 looks very nice: 2 Suzuki GSXR1300 in a 72º V When enlarged to 3 liter, this engine should produce 525 bhp @ 11350 rpm and 370 Nm (273 lbs/ft) @ 7950rpm.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 22:56 (Ref:1252984)   #57
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where is the rule allowing less than 3 liter engines a restrictor break in P2? It was mentionned, if I got it straight, in the dsc news. I know the ALMS just did that for its older SR2-V6 entrants, but is there such a rule from the ACO? The very high peak power engine speed is indeed in a territory where P2 restrictors would choke it down...
Old 15 Mar 2005, 23:12 (Ref:1252993)   #58
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Félix
Where is the rule allowing less than 3 liter engines a restrictor break in P2? It was mentionned, if I got it straight, in the dsc news. I know the ALMS just did that for its older SR2-V6 entrants, but is there such a rule from the ACO? The very high peak power engine speed is indeed in a territory where P2 restrictors would choke it down...
The numbers given on the Radical website for their engine are in case of a 44.7 mm resistor (specified in ACO regulation for LMP2 engines up to 3.0 liter).
Old 16 Mar 2005, 10:11 (Ref:1253214)   #59
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The car will be competitive - I have no doubt.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 10:24 (Ref:1253229)   #60
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
This Powertec V8 looks very nice: 2 Suzuki GSXR1300 in a 72º V When enlarged to 3 liter, this engine should produce 525 bhp @ 11350 rpm and 370 Nm (273 lbs/ft) @ 7950rpm.
Does Suzuki know about this? Are they involved?
Old 16 Mar 2005, 10:48 (Ref:1253244)   #61
Audi R8R
Racer

Audi R8R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the V8 is pretty much a Radical/Powertec motor now anyway. I think the Hayabusa units were the basis for the design, but don't think there is much else left.

Could be wrong though. Would be a great PR coup for them though, winning its class at Le Mans... Have Honda done that before?
Old 16 Mar 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1253352)   #62
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi R8R
I think the V8 is pretty much a Radical/Powertec motor now anyway. I think the Hayabusa units were the basis for the design, but don't think there is much else left.
The original 2.8 V8 Powertec uses the cilinder head of Suzuki engine.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 13:24 (Ref:1253358)   #63
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this is great news, though i do say about time! I've always wondered why they never created one to any prototype regs, as they've looked the part since they started making them, though some of the later ones do look like there could be raced straight off.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 14:56 (Ref:1253439)   #64
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Where's Tim when you need him?
Sebring?

... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 Mar 2005, 19:56 (Ref:1254511)   #65
Radical Mick
Rookie

United Kingdom
Uk near Rockingham
Radical Mick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Radical SR9

I said we would never do it, but I changed my mind. The current SR8 is so quick and our engine designer is certain we can get over 525 bhp out of our V8, we just have to give it a crack. We were at the Britsport test at Silverstone on Friday and one of our customers was getting into the high 52`s. I risk life and limb doing a 60 in our SR4! And of course we have captured Peter Ellery who designed all 3 Bentley`s. He is a very smart guy and is real excited about the engineering challenge of winning on a small budget, rather than the £25M Bently threw at him. And then we have Nick (not Mark as they call him in Autosport) Walford who is our chief engineer and a master at making sportscars fast on a budget, ala SR8. We know what we have to do. Lap Snetterton in under 60 secs, build a reliable car and stay solvent. We must be mad!
Old 17 Mar 2005, 19:58 (Ref:1254518)   #66
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Go Mick!
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 Mar 2005, 20:02 (Ref:1254525)   #67
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Keep on moving this way Mick ! Roll on !
Old 17 Mar 2005, 20:15 (Ref:1254538)   #68
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mick, how many cars have Radical sold since you started?
Old 17 Mar 2005, 20:23 (Ref:1254545)   #69
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Mick
We know what we have to do. Lap Snetterton in under 60 secs, build a reliable car and stay solvent. We must be mad!
Indeed, u must be mad. I wish u every sucess with the project though, ive got every faith in Radical being able to do a good job, sure ur car might not be quite up there with the Lolas and Courages of this world, but certainly I would imagine be ahead of cars such as the WR and Dabora's etc, lets hope so anyway!
Old 18 Mar 2005, 09:39 (Ref:1255041)   #70
Radical Mick
Rookie

United Kingdom
Uk near Rockingham
Sr9

Weve made going 450 cars to date. Our aim is to be on the pace with the front runners. Time will tell.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 10:25 (Ref:1255064)   #71
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This may be somewhat off the given topic but, ho much substance is there to the concept of a RPA-powered, open chassis sportscar series as it is mentioned in the Marcus Pye article that you quote on your site: http://www.radicalmotorsport.com/new...0205/index.php
"What's more exciting is that, at £ plus VAT, it could power a new open chassis European Sportscar Championship, an update of the classic Group 6 series of the 70's."

It COULD, as in it OUGHT TO, or it MIGHT, or it MAY? Is this Mr. Pye's suggestion, a long term plan of yours, or something we may hear more of in the near future?
Old 18 Mar 2005, 11:03 (Ref:1255094)   #72
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
....... Our aim is to be on the pace with the front runners.Time will tell.
So the next chapter in the Radical success story is about to be written!

And I reckon you're timing is perfect. There will be many teams looking at the resurgence of prototypes in the upper echelons of sportscar racing with a desire take the next step up and go play with the big boys. Not least amongst your existing customer base. And whilst the costs involved in taking the Lola/Courage route may be prohibitive, the very considerable savings you offer, I am sure, will convince many to take the leap.

With Peter Ellery on board I have little doubt the car will be competetive, although Lola do seem to have set the bar rather high! When you say you expect the car to be on the pace with the front runners, to what extent do you anticipate the base spec car would need to be upgraded for that to become reality, and at what cost?

And lastly, what chance of a factory effort both sides of the Atlantic, Mick, in your inaugural season?
Old 18 Mar 2005, 13:37 (Ref:1255193)   #73
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
could/might/may

none are certain
Old 18 Mar 2005, 19:32 (Ref:1255425)   #74
Radical Mick
Rookie

United Kingdom
Uk near Rockingham
Sr9

We already have several potential customers both side of the pond ready to run SR9`s. We will definately have factory supported teams running in ALMS and LMES. As to how competetive we wil be, I`m confident, but who would have put money on Red Bull doing well and Schumacher cocking up big time. Nothing is certain. Re the Marcus Pye comment, I think it`s a great idea, but it won`t happen unless someone picks the idea up and runs with it. I don`t have the time, so I guess it won`t happen.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 21:00 (Ref:1255481)   #75
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Re the Marcus Pye comment, I think it`s a great idea, but it won`t happen unless someone picks the idea up and runs with it. I don`t have the time, so I guess it won`t happen.
So "could" simply implies wishful thinking on Mr. Pye's behalf (Pye in the sky so to speak)? - That's what I wanted to know. Thank you.