Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 20 Mar 2019, 14:16 (Ref:3892150)   #1
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Round 2: IndyCar Classic, Circuit of The Americas. Austin, Texas. March 22-24.

Round 2: IndyCar Classic, Circuit of The Americas. Austin, Texas. March 22-24.

This will be IndyCar's first and much anticipated visit to the Circuit of The Americas (COTA) and replaces Phoenix, after it was announced on June 22 last year that the Arizona venue would be dropped from the 2019 calendar, having only returned in 2016 after an 11 year hiatus.

The Circuit of The Americas, was created with the sole intention of reviving the USA's hopes of hosting an F1 Grand Prix. The initial plans were first proposed in a news conference on July 27, 2010 by Promoter and former Formula 3 racing driver Tavo Hellmund, who had competed in the 1990s. Hellmund announced plans to build a new race track on an 890 acre site (3.6 km2) of undeveloped land in southeastern Travis County, having secured a deal with Bernie Ecclestone for a US GP from 2012 onwards.

The final plan of the circuit was released on September 1, 2010 and building began on December 31, 2010 and was due to be completed by June 2012. The circuit's final master plan, was developed by US architects HKS Inc. and Hermann Tilke, with Austin architects Miró Rivera, designing the main grandstand, the observation tower and amphitheatre. At a press conference on April 12, 2011, the track's name was announced as "Circuit of the Americas" .

Problems arose with securing funding from the Major Events Trust Fund (METF), a state sporting fund designed to attract major sporting events to Texas, that would be used to pay the Formula One sanctioning fee. Opponents of the race filed a lawsuit against Texas State comptroller Susan Combs, claiming she had promised the funding to the circuit, without having been legally authorized to do so, though the promoters responded stating that all necessary guidelines had been followed.

On July 1, 2011, a state district court judge declined to enter a temporary restraining order against Combs, preventing payments from the METF. However, Combs reconsidered and chose not to make the July 31 advance payment to FOMC/Bernie Ecclestone as previously agreed for the first year's sanctioning fee. In November 2011, Ecclestone issued an ultimatum to the owners and promoters to find a solution by the following month or be dropped from the calendar.

This led to a dispute between the circuit owners, Helmund's Full Throttle Productions, and Formula One Management. Construction was temporarily stopped. However, on December 7, 2011, the World Motorsport Council released the final calendar for the 2012 season, with COTA retaining its November 18 date. It emerged that two investors, Bobby Epstein and Red McCombs, had reached a new arrangement with Ecclestone, ensuring payment up front and cutting Hellmund's company from promoting the event. Hellmund announced plans to sue Epstein and McCombs, with Hellmund claiming that he was still a part of the management company and had not been paid since September. In June 2012, the dispute was reported to have been settled out of court.

The inaugural race, the 2012 United States GP, was held on November 18 and was won by Lewis Hamilton, driving for Vodafone McLaren Mercedes in a McLaren MP4 27-Merecedes FO 108Z.

Lap Record:
Lewis Hamilton, 19 September, 2018. 1:37.392, 126.624 Mph (203.782 Km/h). Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+ - Mercedes-AMG F1 M09 EQ Power+

Layout:
The initial track layout was conceived by Tavo Hellmund and 1993 FIM 500cc world champion Kevin Schwantz, with assistance from renowned F1 circuit designer and architect Hermann Tilke. Inspiration was taken from other F1 circuits, with the first section taking its cue from Silverstone's, Maggots-Becketts-Chapel complex. Other sections mimicked the stadium section at Hockenheim and Istanbul Park's Turn 8.

Originally the circuit was to be 3.4 miles (5.5 km) long, though the actual length is 3.427 miles (5.515 km), with 20 turns. There is also a considerable elevation change, with a steep rise of 133 feet (41 m) to Turn 1. The circuit runs anti-clockwise.

Length:
3.427 Miles (5.515 km)

Turns:

Race Broadcast:
NBCSN. March 24, 1:00pm ET.
Old 20 Mar 2019, 17:35 (Ref:3892215)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well let’s see if this trip is worth it. I think Phoenix would have been better. It settled in nicely, having been out too long.

It is a curious place to host a GP. It seemed out of place and not quite what we were expecting. Certainly the funding issue didn’t help. Ecclestone probably was looking at other issues. Those in charge could have delayed it being on the F1 calendar. The promoter being replaced after trouble didn’t help either. Then more issues happened with lawsuits here and there threatened it’s future. Thankfully for F1 it’s return to America was confirmed. Hamilton won after Vettel was held up by a backmarker

It has some interesting corners here and there, but not quite what they could be and not quite a classic circuit either. Like most US circuits it’s anti clockwise. It’s designed as best as it could be for now. Can anyone beat the lap record?

Certainly it ain’t the worst circuit, but not the best either. Hopefully the coverage of Indycars will continue to be top notch
Old 20 Mar 2019, 18:29 (Ref:3892242)   #3
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Apparently spectators can't enter coolers of food...
Old 20 Mar 2019, 18:31 (Ref:3892243)   #4
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wonder if there is a good reason for that? There must be one, they wouldn’t do it otherwise
Old 20 Mar 2019, 18:43 (Ref:3892249)   #5
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The track owners obviously want spectators to buy food and drink that's at the venue.
Old 20 Mar 2019, 18:50 (Ref:3892250)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

Ah, now it makes sense. Seems a bit extreme though
Old 20 Mar 2019, 22:19 (Ref:3892309)   #7
S griffin
Veteran

I guess they want to make more money, but it seems a bit dictorial
Old 20 Mar 2019, 23:01 (Ref:3892331)   #8
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indycar.com will have a live stream of the race - free to residents of 20 Central and South American countries. The stream will be available in Argentina, Belize, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay and Venezuela.

https://www.indycar.com/News/2019/03...ut-COTA-Carlin
Old 21 Mar 2019, 03:49 (Ref:3892361)   #9
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Apparently spectators can't enter coolers of food...
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I wonder if there is a good reason for that? There must be one, they wouldn’t do it otherwise
Quote:
Ah, now it makes sense. Seems a bit extreme though
It's supposedly very restrictive, believe you can carry a single 12oz/500mL bottle of water in with you but that may have changed since last year's GP. And as with most (MB Dome in Atlanta being an exception) venues in the US the price gouging is astounding. I'd live to see the track but that's a non-starter for me. Yes, I'm spoiled with Road Atlanta allowing a lot, as long as they can't see it, but it's what I'd want in a venue.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 21 Mar 2019, 08:28 (Ref:3892397)   #10
S griffin
Veteran

Well they are bringing in this new policy for the circuit to make more money. Although bringing in water is a no brainer. I wonder what the GP has to do with it. Of course you can only go to what you can go to. Something like Road Atlanta has it right, no restrictions there
Old 21 Mar 2019, 14:42 (Ref:3892478)   #11
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah, I'm afraid it won't be packed. COTA may be the worst run track in the country.
Old 21 Mar 2019, 16:50 (Ref:3892493)   #12
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About the food situation, when I visit COTA I always like to stick it to the organizers by stopping at an IHOP, Denny's, or some other place just before entering and stuffing myself with a hearty breakfast knowing that this time it's ok to do it (LOL). When I enter, I carry an apple in one pocket and a bag of nuts in another pocket (it's not like they will search pockets), bottle of water in backpack, and that should keep me fed for the day. I leave a few bananas, drinks, and chips in the car to munch something on the way back home.
Old 21 Mar 2019, 19:50 (Ref:3892522)   #13
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
I may be a bit spoiled with Road America, however I have no idea how one makes it through a day of sports car racing without 2-3 beers and 2-3 brats
COTA sounds terrible to me (except for the track itself).
Old 21 Mar 2019, 20:45 (Ref:3892532)   #14
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Ed Jones has been cleared to race this weekend, after breaking a bone in his hand in the season opener at St Pete.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/142269
Old 21 Mar 2019, 22:39 (Ref:3892562)   #15
S griffin
Veteran

Well they have struggled with injuries in the past the drivers and they will again
Old 23 Mar 2019, 06:46 (Ref:3892888)   #16
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
As CoTa's a Tilkedrome (though not the worst of Tilke) they have European restriction policies despite the location in mid-Southern Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDSM View Post
I may be a bit spoiled with Road America, however I have no idea how one makes it through a day of sports car racing without 2-3 beers and 2-3 brats
I've watched a 4 hour touring car race in Zandvoort with only a single 500 ml beer. That was tough experience

Last edited by BudLightJaguar; 23 Mar 2019 at 06:52.
Old 23 Mar 2019, 16:30 (Ref:3892960)   #17
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post
As CoTa's a Tilkedrome (though not the worst of Tilke) they have European restriction policies despite the location
That has nothing to do with it, he was consulted in construction, his firm did not build the track nor do they manage it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 23 Mar 2019, 19:14 (Ref:3892978)   #18
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why is the timing line just before turn 19 rather than the traditional start/finish line?
Old 23 Mar 2019, 19:55 (Ref:3892983)   #19
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Why is the timing line just before turn 19 rather than the traditional start/finish line?
Haven't a clue. I presume F1 uses the start/finish line?

-

They were saying in the commentary that there aren't any track limits, which may have something to do with it?

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 23 Mar 2019 at 20:10. Reason: Edit
Old 23 Mar 2019, 22:20 (Ref:3892995)   #20
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I love how COTA race threads turn into trashing the joint
Old 24 Mar 2019, 01:04 (Ref:3893003)   #21
HighParker
Racer

Canada
Toronto
HighParker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
I'm reasonably sure IndyCar habitually uses a timing line at road/street courses during qualifying that is one or two turns before the pit entrance, as it means the cars can avoid having to do most of another ("cool down") lap before entering the pit lane.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 02:06 (Ref:3893008)   #22
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighParker View Post
I'm reasonably sure IndyCar habitually uses a timing line at road/street courses during qualifying that is one or two turns before the pit entrance, as it means the cars can avoid having to do most of another ("cool down") lap before entering the pit lane.
That makes a lot of sense.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 15:10 (Ref:3893072)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Qualifying

Power took his 56th IndyCar pole win and had the only Chevrolet powered car in the fast 6. Josef Newgarden's, was the next Chevrolet powered car in 7th. Rookie Felix Rosenqvist was 5th with another good performance.

Two red flag incidents caused by Jack Harvey and Tony Kanaan means they will start 23rd and 24th on the grid. Harvey's red flag prevented team mate James Hinchcliffe from improving, as qualifying was stopped and he will start 15th.

1. Will Power, Team Penske. Dallara-Chevrolet. 01:46.0177.

2. Alexander Rossi, Andretti Autosport. Dallara-Honda. 01:46.1761

3. Ryan Hunter-Reay, Andretti Autosport. Dallara-Honda. 01:46.3228

4. Colton Herta, Harding Steinbrenner Racing. Dallara-Honda. 01:46.3594

5. Felix Rosenqvist, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara-Honda. 01:46.5680

6. Scott Dixon, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara-Honda. 01:46.9375

7. Josef Newgarden, Team Penske. Dallara-Chevrolet. 01:46.3438

8. Patrico O’Ward, Carlin Racing. Dallara-Chevrolet. 01:46.3807

9. Zach Veach, Andretti Autosport, Dallara-Honda. 01:46.5421

10. Graham Rahal, Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing. Dallara-Honda. 01:46.9676

11. Santino Ferrucci, Dale Coyne Racing. Dallara-Honda. 01:47.3956

12. Matheus Leist, AJ Foyt Racing, Dallara-Chevrolet. 01:48.0634

13. Max Chilton, Carling Racing. Dallara-Chevrolet. 01:46.8253

14. Takuma Sato, Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing. Dallara-Honda. 01:47.7109

15. James Hinchcliffe, Arrow Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Dallara-Honda. 01:46.8670

16. Marcus Ericsson, Arrow Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Dallara-Honda. 01:48.4259

17. Sebastien Bourdais, Dale Coyne with Vasser Sullivan. Dallara-Honda. 01:47.0702

18. Ed Jones, Ed Carpenter Racing with Scuderia Corsa. Dallara-Chevrolet. 01:48.4523

19. Spencer Pigot, Ed Carpenter Racing. Dallara-Chevrolet. 01:47.0702

20. Marco Andretti, Andretti Herta Autosport - Marco Andretti & Curb-Agajanian. Dallara-Honda. 01:48.6521

21. Kyle Kaiser, Juncos Racing. Dallara-Chevrolet. 01:48.6343

22. Simon Pagenaud, Team Penske. Dallara-Chevrolet. 01:48.9030

23. Jack Harvey, Meyer Shank Racing. Dallara-Honda. *

24. Tony Kanaan, AJ Foyt Racing. Dallara-Chevrolet. *

*Red flag incident - lap times eliminated.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 17:46 (Ref:3893088)   #24
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
That was a very clean start. Veach goes off between Turns 2 and 3 but rejoins.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 17:55 (Ref:3893091)   #25
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
First commercial break but they've split the screen, so no loss of track action.