Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 17 Jun 2003, 21:04 (Ref:634888)   #1
the_tsar
Racer

the_tsar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC on TV

There was a post the other day about the BTCC questionnaire which I took and it got me thinking. I contacted them commenting on the show on TV.
My own opinion is that it is good that ITV have the broadcasting rights now but the show lacking slightly.
It's great to get all the background information but I think that maybe too much time is spent on this and not so much time on the racing. When watching the reviews of pre 2002 the quality seems a bit better with more onboard views which increases the action. There was more switching back and forth from onboard to outside whereas now we rarely see this and most of the action is only caught on replays. The BBC was better at this in my opinion.
It seemed faster and more intense before.
What does everyone else think?
Old 18 Jun 2003, 06:23 (Ref:635176)   #2
RiZLa
Rookie

RiZLa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree to a large extent, but by giving the background info it'll maybe encourage people to watch it more if they understand it a little better.

The obvious answer is to give it a 1.5 Hr slot with 30 mins or so on the background etc (as is now) and 1hr on the raceing(30 mins more than now), but the extra 1/2 hr of racing may force itv to sacrafice the 'prime' slot on a saturday afternoon on itv to a less poular time, would this help encourage people to watch the sport?
Old 18 Jun 2003, 06:38 (Ref:635184)   #3
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with the tsar. I've been thinking for a long while that watching the Touring Cars on ITV there is definitely something missing although been unable to put my finger on what. Wasn't sure if it was the TV coverage or the series itself that is lacking - but there definitely isn't the excitement there used to be. It's all a bit bland.
P'raps it's because Murray used to do the BBC coverage whereas now you have Vicki and Ben, etc and although what they say is OK, I think they just have pretty boring voices (sorry!)
Old 18 Jun 2003, 14:54 (Ref:635593)   #4
the_tsar
Racer

Charlie Cox helped make it interesting too. I suppose having commercial breaks shortens the action a bit. I hour programmes are really just 45 minutes, roughly, with breaks.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 16:05 (Ref:635649)   #5
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Actually, I think when ITV took over, a timing showed that the actual ITV coverage was the same length as the BBC coverage.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 16:30 (Ref:635664)   #6
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that ITV are showing more on boards this year, Brands was very good for them, however there still needs to be more. I also think just little things like when an on board is being shown to have in the corner of the screen for a few seconds the drivers name and a picture of the car?

Personally i thought the BBC coverage was good. However i am giving the BBC no praises for their 2001 coverage as that was total and utter **** and i now see that they are doing the same to the BSB
Old 18 Jun 2003, 17:41 (Ref:635732)   #7
the_tsar
Racer

It is the little things that make the difference, Looking back at the latter rounds at BH in 2000 it was great. The racing perhaps wasn't as exciting but that you didn't notice with the way that it was edited.
ITV does lose time on adverts so it's not quite an hour.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 17:50 (Ref:635742)   #8
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After what the bbc did with the btcc I was glad to see it move over to itv. One idea I did have for the bbc was a late night `Sunday Grandstand re-run` because how many times did the bbc cut the btcc meetings short due to other sports, with a late night re-run they can fit in all the bits they would had missed out...sadly the bbc rejected my idea, but I thought it was a good one at the time.

With itv im impressed that the btcc has its own show, it looks alot better! But i agree they need to have more racing and less talking. Maybe if they had a later night program (around 10 in the evening when everyone is home from work) about 2 hrs long, there is enough time for racing and off track info, plus with all the breaks it makes it a 1.45hr program...anyone agree with me or am I on my own?

(sorry for any spelling mistakes, im half asleep)
Old 18 Jun 2003, 17:57 (Ref:635751)   #9
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally i'm afraid some people wouldn't like their evening taken up with motorsport, same as i don't like the time ITV put the premiership on.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 19:16 (Ref:635865)   #10
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
true, but atlest then you will be at home and not at work recording it....maybe even if it was shown on a sunday evening or mayb a weekday evening?
Old 18 Jun 2003, 19:18 (Ref:635868)   #11
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1.Bring Back Charlie Cox or BTCC coverage will never be up to standard.

2.Remember that ITV is always on time, and you can set your video to it, if your out at another race.

3. Some of the insider stuff adds depth, but sometimes it just goes too OK magazine.

But overall I can live with ITV's coverage where as the Beebs juggling was rather annoying.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 19:25 (Ref:635881)   #12
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
I agree with you on all 3 points reido, BEING BACK COX ITV!
Old 18 Jun 2003, 19:31 (Ref:635890)   #13
McKay
Racer

McKay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If they got rid of Ben Edwards and brought in Charlie Cox it would be so much better. Sorry Ben, but your are a very dull comentator. Charlies character and racing insight was unique. plus hell be with Tim Harvey, and the fact they've raced against each other before would be interesting
Old 18 Jun 2003, 20:09 (Ref:635928)   #14
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Ben Edwards is a very good commentator live, just not so good with the scripted stuff and dosent have the charecter Cox had, unfortunately though i think the BBC know how valuable Cox is and won't be selling him off to ITV...
Old 18 Jun 2003, 20:34 (Ref:635956)   #15
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Reido Rules
1.Bring Back Charlie Cox or BTCC coverage will never be up to standard.
......and that would improve the BBC's bike coverage!
Old 21 Jun 2003, 15:09 (Ref:638493)   #16
the_tsar
Racer

I don't know how to word it but Ben Edwards comes off as a bit weedy. Martin Haven would provide better entertainment even if his style is to waffle on and occasionly glance at the race
Old 22 Jun 2003, 13:00 (Ref:639126)   #17
FABIADOZA
Rookie

FABIADOZA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To all the critics of Ben edwards. Put your money where your mouth is and can you do any better.
Old 22 Jun 2003, 13:51 (Ref:639148)   #18
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Ben Edwards should be doing F1 on ITV.
Old 22 Jun 2003, 16:24 (Ref:639233)   #19
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Lets face it.......F1 needs him cos the comentary since Murray Walker left has been ****!
Old 23 Jun 2003, 15:37 (Ref:640311)   #20
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about as SPARK Msport suggested a re-run of the race in full on ITV2 as most of what is on there, save the odd film, is not that good. Even if it was on at 2am at least people could record it and watch it later. Sure you may have to buy a freeview box but it's one solution. Hope they decide to put the live race on freeview or at least NTL one day.

As for commentators no one will replace Murry and I hope Ben covers CART again as it is to dull at the moment, move Cox to BTCC and leave Vicky in BTCC as I like her commentery/interviews. One thing I would say about Ben and Vicky (not seen Cox) is they always seem to have a smile on there face and genuinely enjoy the sport as a hobby not just as a job.
Old 23 Jun 2003, 17:35 (Ref:640465)   #21
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
They both have raced cars though, so it is basically a hobbey
Old 23 Jun 2003, 20:12 (Ref:640678)   #22
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix1
How about as SPARK Msport suggested a re-run of the race in full on ITV2 as most of what is on there, save the odd film, is not that good. Even if it was on at 2am at least people could record it and watch it later.
Is there any point when you can see it live on Motors TV already?
Old 23 Jun 2003, 20:20 (Ref:640687)   #23
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sceptic
Is there any point when you can see it live on Motors TV already?
Yes, when you are at a circuit every weekend so don't get the chance to see any televised motorsport at the weekends apart from lengthy taped replays or late night repeats when you are shattered.
Old 23 Jun 2003, 20:21 (Ref:640689)   #24
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The BBC used to be good, no doubt about it, but in the last few years they were covering the BTCC they were doing it a huge injustice with their coverage. At least we know when it's going to be on now and that the coverage won't be cut short for live golf or something.
Am I the only one around here who doesn't want Charlie Cox back. I didn't mind him at first, but just found him more and more annoying as time went on.
Old 23 Jun 2003, 20:31 (Ref:640700)   #25
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie
The BBC used to be good, no doubt about it, but in the last few years they were covering the BTCC they were doing it a huge injustice with their coverage. At least we know when it's going to be on now and that the coverage won't be cut short for live golf or something.
Am I the only one around here who doesn't want Charlie Cox back. I didn't mind him at first, but just found him more and more annoying as time went on.
No you're not the only one. It seems that being on TV went to his head. He thought he was much more important than he really was, and apparently when ITV got the coverage from the BBC he contacted them and said he was willing to move from the BBC - but he demanded a ridiculous amount of money (I've heard that the figure he asked for per weekend was close to the total commentary budget for the whole season).