Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 27 Jan 2020, 15:09 (Ref:3954034)   #351
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Political Correctness reaches Bingo! No longer ‘two fat ladies- eighty-eight’, but ‘Wills and Kate- eighty-eight’.......

And there’s more, if anyone can be remotely bothered to find out!
My favourite is "Seven and Six - was she worth it?"
Old 27 Jan 2020, 15:22 (Ref:3954036)   #352
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Ah, but I didn't read it in the Daily Express! I think it was something that was being touted around in the press generally three or four months ago.
I bet it stemmed from there. With 24 hour news to fill there's no unique stories anywhere.

I have quite a downer on the Express and its ilk with their sensationlist claims that they are never brought to account for. Be it good/bad weather, food scares, or even Princess Diana found cavorting with Elvis on the moon, they scare people and generally do what they want with no comeback.

Having said that I find the weather predictions particularly hilarious.
Old 27 Jan 2020, 15:27 (Ref:3954039)   #353
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
My favourite is "Seven and Six - was she worth it?"
Wouldn't translate to metric currency, though.......
Old 27 Jan 2020, 15:53 (Ref:3954046)   #354
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Wouldn't translate to metric currency, though.......
Thirty five pence, not well spent?

Where there's a will etc.
Old 28 Jan 2020, 09:53 (Ref:3954156)   #355
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just watching out the window, looking at the first snow fall this winter; usually see this late November/early December. I blame Brexit!
Old 28 Jan 2020, 11:07 (Ref:3954161)   #356
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Just watching out the window, looking at the first snow fall this winter; usually see this late November/early December. I blame Brexit!
Why not! So it’s you up North that the doom laden forecast was for, then. Blue sky / sun here, although wind taking edge off.....
Old 28 Jan 2020, 11:26 (Ref:3954165)   #357
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Well Mike we do have to import most of our weather from abroad, and Brexit is bound to have an effect, probably snow carries less duty than sunshine.

Maybe a deal with Australia would be a good idea?
Old 28 Jan 2020, 12:00 (Ref:3954169)   #358
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just heard Nicholas Parsons passed away .He was a keen race spectator I recall
Old 28 Jan 2020, 12:03 (Ref:3954171)   #359
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Just heard Nicholas Parsons passed away .He was a keen race spectator I recall
96! That’s a good innings. RIP Nicholas.....
Old 28 Jan 2020, 12:05 (Ref:3954172)   #360
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes just read that. RIP Nicholas.
Old 28 Jan 2020, 12:54 (Ref:3954186)   #361
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Motorsport gets off to a start in this part of the world at the weekend with the Le Touquet Enduro races taking place.

Always spectacular & well worth seeing if you can catch it on TV.
Old 28 Jan 2020, 13:17 (Ref:3954192)   #362
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Motorsport gets off to a start in this part of the world at the weekend with the Le Touquet Enduro races taking place.

Mmm, not sure I’ll find that- but there’s always Bathurst instead!
Old 28 Jan 2020, 17:10 (Ref:3954233)   #363
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
No match with Bathurst, 'f course! Interesting there's a race for vintage bikes on 30 January. John, you can catch it either on FR3, local one, or La chaîne l'Equipe:
https://www.enduropaledutouquet.fr/retransmission/
If not, usual social media.
There are many English in this area, some flying to Le Touquet with private planes…
Sorry, this time its totally OT!
Old 28 Jan 2020, 17:50 (Ref:3954239)   #364
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
No match with Bathurst, 'f course! Interesting there's a race for vintage bikes on 30 January. John, you can catch it either on FR3, local one, or La chaîne l'Equipe:
https://www.enduropaledutouquet.fr/retransmission/
If not, usual social media.
There are many English in this area, some flying to Le Touquet with private planes…
Sorry, this time its totally OT!
I think the Brits will probably still be partying from Friday night!!

Wot's social media?
Old 28 Jan 2020, 18:39 (Ref:3954258)   #365
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Official name is Enduropale: https://www.enduropaledutouquet.fr
I like the website presentation, clear, complete and very nice pics. They refer to FB, Tweety and some other too.

Around 350 000 spectators announced. Not bad for a french event. Maybe they count the seagulls and sea lions!
Old 28 Jan 2020, 18:53 (Ref:3954262)   #366
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Official name is Enduropale: https://www.enduropaledutouquet.fr
I like the website presentation, clear, complete and very nice pics. They refer to FB, Tweety and some other too.

Around 350 000 spectators announced. Not bad for a french event. Maybe they count the seagulls and sea lions!
Judging by the number of 'bikes that pass through here en route I think they probably under estimate! One day I will go, not really able to this year.

You're right, it's an excellent website, as was last years'.
Old 28 Jan 2020, 19:16 (Ref:3954266)   #367
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:

A couple of my mates have been doing this for years and one is the same age as me !!!!! I would love to have continued doing motocross into OAP territory but unfortunately a couple of dislodged vertebrae sodded that up
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 28 Jan 2020, 19:36 (Ref:3954272)   #368
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
If youth knew……… We have another version of this: on ne peut pas être at avoir été. In other words, we did right to make all those things when we could!
Old 28 Jan 2020, 20:21 (Ref:3954279)   #369
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mojacar 1 (2).jpg
Views:	12
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	56968
I even used to take my Motocross bike down to Spain in the early 80s, wow I haven't changed a bit in nearly 40years
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Jan 2020, 10:42 (Ref:3954365)   #370
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Max asked a very relevant question on Bauble's Picture Parade about what to do with old photos, and it was a conundrum that I had to deal with about 10 years ago. My mother was designated by both my maternal and paternal families to become the guardian of all the families' photographs, some going back as far as the very first days of photography. And as a lady of leisure, she faithfully promised all and sundry that she would ensure that all the photos would be marked with whom the subjects were, and location if possible.

Unfortunately, she passed away in the mid 80s without even starting the laborious task she had undertaken, and the hundreds, maybe thousands, of photos lay in their large boxes untouched until my father passed away in 2003 when I, de facto, became the guardian of the photos. The problem was that I only recognised about 12 individuals included in the photos, so I arranged with my sister a family reunion to go through the pictures to try to identify the faces and/or places. Having met up three time over the late summer of '03, we came to the sad conclusion that we didn't have a clue who the vast majority of faces belonged to, apart from one that we discovered belonged to a very distant cousin to whom I handed the photo.

Shortly after, I moved to Spain after settling my affairs in the UK, taking the photos with me. It was apparent that none of my extended families' off-springs, including both my sister's and mine, had any interest in the photos as they meant absolutely nothing to them and they seem to have no interest in their families' history. So, when I had to return back to the UK ten years ago, I took the decision to just dump the photos in the bin rather than have to send them back to the UK (I sold virtually everything I had in Spain to make a fresh start back in Blighty).

I still regret that action, but the photos would have stayed in those big, and I do mean big, boxes untouched for ever, so what was the point of keeping them just to gather dust?
Old 29 Jan 2020, 11:01 (Ref:3954370)   #371
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In respect to the value of 'old photos', we have recently found them very valuable in our family.

My M-in-law is suffering with Dementia and Alzheimers, and we have noticed that she regularly seems to find old photographs around the house and they will appear in random areas. We have transferred a lot of these into a photo album that she regularly sits and browses.

It has become a comfort to her as her memory worsens - in that the photos are her current 'here and now', as opposed to being a memory. She will talk about things in the photos as if they happened yesterday, not many years ago. It allows her to have meaningful conversations with people and avoids the confusion of what is happening in 2020, which she struggles to recall.

I would therefore recommend to anyone that they keep a certain quantity of photos from various eras (if they have a suitable storage space), in the hope they may never have future value, but sadly can provide support to some in older age.
Old 29 Jan 2020, 11:16 (Ref:3954373)   #372
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
My late Dad had dementia, and as you say, although he wouldn’t be able to remember what he’d just eaten, he could look at old photos and have total recall. Horrible disease....
Old 29 Jan 2020, 11:20 (Ref:3954376)   #373
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few years ago someone locally posted on the Freecycle site that they had hundreds of colour slides taken by her late aunt & uncle who were avid travellers / hikers around the UK and Europe many years ago. The slides were to be thrown away unless anyone wanted them for free.

I and two other people replied that we would like them (for fear of such a historical record being lost) and we each got a selection of them. Although some of them are of the couple and their family / friends, a lot are of landscape views, towns and villages from the UK & Europe. Luckily most of the slides are annotated with the location. In time I'm hoping to digitise them all - I made a start but need a better process.

Would eventually like to put them on the 'net' for anyone interested. They make for a fascinating glimpse 'back in time'. Some classic car scenes as well!
Old 29 Jan 2020, 11:33 (Ref:3954381)   #374
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The thing about family is that you never know when, if ever, they might suddenly become interested in family history.

Once photos have been removed from annotated albums and 'collected' elsewhere links to the past and names and places are very likely lost.

I prefer to leave things as they in the context of the albums they came in when family members passed away. Management prefers to manage these things until she loses interest and moves on to "keeping things tidy by throwing stuff away".

The trouble is that a photo, out of context, can lose all value. (Memory value rather than any residual fiscal value.)

Or, as crmalcolm points out so clearly, a photo can have value to someone without meaning anything at all to anyone else.

There are one or two images taken over the years that I can no longer find (or I have mis-remembered them). It niggles me from time to time.

My management, many years ago, took some favourite prints to a local photographer to have them made into a collage. Some weeks (months) later when asked about the results he admitted that they had been lying around and somehow were soaked in water or became damp and were ruined. They were no more. That was a great disappointment for her at the time but does not seem to have dampened an enthusiasm for 'de-cluttering' on a regular basis.
Old 29 Jan 2020, 11:39 (Ref:3954384)   #375
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
In respect to the value of 'old photos', we have recently found them very valuable in our family.

My M-in-law is suffering with Dementia and Alzheimers, and we have noticed that she regularly seems to find old photographs around the house and they will appear in random areas. We have transferred a lot of these into a photo album that she regularly sits and browses.

It has become a comfort to her as her memory worsens - in that the photos are her current 'here and now', as opposed to being a memory. She will talk about things in the photos as if they happened yesterday, not many years ago. It allows her to have meaningful conversations with people and avoids the confusion of what is happening in 2020, which she struggles to recall.

I would therefore recommend to anyone that they keep a certain quantity of photos from various eras (if they have a suitable storage space), in the hope they may never have future value, but sadly can provide support to some in older age.
I sympathise with your Mother in law's Dementia etc, sadly my Mum went the same way, thinking she was living in the past & not the present, old photographs did help her for a while, but we do wonder if they reinforced her 'living in the past' feelings later on. The saddest moment was when she asked me one day "Who is the gentleman in this photograph?" It was my Dad, her devoted husband of 40+years...