Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 7 Feb 2017, 13:58 (Ref:3710710)   #91
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Why slow them down by a whole lot?

GT500 for the past like, 20 years has always been about the fastest GT/Touring cars in the world over a single lap.
Old 7 Feb 2017, 16:04 (Ref:3710734)   #92
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Why slow them down by a whole lot?

GT500 for the past like, 20 years has always been about the fastest GT/Touring cars in the world over a single lap.
With 100 HP more and the arrival of the new extreme cars I have the sensation that GTE/GTLM will have a much better pace the next years.
I also prefer a global vision than a local vision.
Old 7 Feb 2017, 16:10 (Ref:3710735)   #93
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
With 100 HP more and the arrival of the new extreme cars I have the sensation that GTE/GTLM will have a much better pace the next years.
GT500 cars are close to LMP1 pace. GTE/GTLM will never be allowed to climb to that level as long as LMP2 exists.
Old 7 Feb 2017, 16:18 (Ref:3710738)   #94
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
If you de-restricted the GTLM cars, the heads up racing between GTLM and GT500 would be out of control... like..probably some of the best racing on earth. Ever.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 7 Feb 2017, 20:16 (Ref:3710803)   #95
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!
GTE weighs a lot more, over 200kg more. And their aero isn't as extreme, so they would need more freedom and work done to them to be competitive with current GT500's. But if they aligned rules and GTE does drop weight + gain power, I would be in favor of that.
Old 8 Feb 2017, 09:17 (Ref:3710925)   #96
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!
At points in the season you could see a GT500 NSX running at 1149kg, theoretically anyways. The Aston Martins were at 1183kg last time they raced.

I would not say Class 1 aero is more extreme than new GTE

Class 1 has more freedom to use certain devices (GTE is limited to two diveplanes mounted on the front per side while Class 1 can go nuts, and they get fender louvers), and can cut away bodywork along the sides where GTE can't, but for the most part it's much more restrictive in where and how much you can modify bodywork, and with the 2017 rules in particular the underbody is almost pathetic in comparison.

Plus GT500 cars are narrower and have to run a skid block.

Take the back of the rear fender, GTE cars all cut that away entirely up to the 350mm free area for the rear bumper while Class 1 can only have a 200x250mm rear facing duct that the tire can't be seen through. The front bumper modification area for Class 1 is only 275mm tall with heavily controlled ducting while for GTE it's 350mm and pretty free. The GTE car can in theory run a longer front splitter if the production car has a long enough overhang (the Ford at least presumably manages this), plus the contour of the Class 1 splitter is spec while GTE cars have very developed 3D shapes. GTE car has a 250mm tall, 1400mm wide more or less free diffuser up to 1150mm (maybe on the Porsche) while the GT500 is another (presumably still) spec contoured part 105mm tall, 1160mm wide, and 1050mm long. (it used to be 205mm tall)

When you put it against a Ford GT it completely loses any advantage having a "prototype" chassis might have given it in internal layout or car setup too.
Old 8 Feb 2017, 15:43 (Ref:3710991)   #97
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
At points in the season you could see a GT500 NSX running at 1149kg, theoretically anyways. The Aston Martins were at 1183kg last time they raced.

I would not say Class 1 aero is more extreme than new GTE

Class 1 has more freedom to use certain devices (GTE is limited to two diveplanes mounted on the front per side while Class 1 can go nuts, and they get fender louvers), and can cut away bodywork along the sides where GTE can't, but for the most part it's much more restrictive in where and how much you can modify bodywork, and with the 2017 rules in particular the underbody is almost pathetic in comparison.

Plus GT500 cars are narrower and have to run a skid block.

Take the back of the rear fender, GTE cars all cut that away entirely up to the 350mm free area for the rear bumper while Class 1 can only have a 200x250mm rear facing duct that the tire can't be seen through. The front bumper modification area for Class 1 is only 275mm tall with heavily controlled ducting while for GTE it's 350mm and pretty free. The GTE car can in theory run a longer front splitter if the production car has a long enough overhang (the Ford at least presumably manages this), plus the contour of the Class 1 splitter is spec while GTE cars have very developed 3D shapes. GTE car has a 250mm tall, 1400mm wide more or less free diffuser up to 1150mm (maybe on the Porsche) while the GT500 is another (presumably still) spec contoured part 105mm tall, 1160mm wide, and 1050mm long. (it used to be 205mm tall)

When you put it against a Ford GT it completely loses any advantage having a "prototype" chassis might have given it in internal layout or car setup too.
Very good info carbsmith!!!
Old 8 Feb 2017, 16:28 (Ref:3710993)   #98
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!
GTE would have to lose about 200kg to equal the minimum weight of the GT500's. That's the biggest disparity between them. The Ford is probably the best car but it's hovering around 1270kg. I'm sure it's weight without ballast is less, but 1000kg like the FR GT500's? I don't think so. The Aston Martin was 1180kg at one point but only equal to cars weighing 90kg more than it.
Old 8 Feb 2017, 16:58 (Ref:3710995)   #99
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
GTE would have to lose about 200kg to equal the minimum weight of the GT500's. That's the biggest disparity between them. The Ford is probably the best car but it's hovering around 1270kg. I'm sure it's weight without ballast is less, but 1000kg like the FR GT500's? I don't think so. The Aston Martin was 1180kg at one point but only equal to cars weighing 90kg more than it.
You could just ballast the GT500 up some, and bring the GTE down some...
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 8 Feb 2017, 19:29 (Ref:3711028)   #100
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
You could just ballast the GT500 up some, and bring the GTE down some...
I just think its time to allow GTLM's to have more horsepower. The ability to have typical lap times to be 1 min 40 - 1 min 41 at Daytona and about 3 min 45 at Le Mans would be ideal.
Old 8 Feb 2017, 20:02 (Ref:3711038)   #101
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!
Even with everything in their favour the gap to the current GT500 cars is probably a bit too much to bridge without large changes to weight and/or power that may or may not be possible for all the cars as is (we'll see how fast this year's GT500s and GTEs are compared to last year though) but I think they could easily lap around as fast as the old JAF regulations cars.
Old 9 Feb 2017, 12:37 (Ref:3711216)   #102
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's an article on Motorsport today with Zak Brown suggesting McLaren want to take on Le Mans again, most likely in GTE, but he didn't say outright no to P1 (doubt it!!!)

I don't usually trust Motorsport, especially McLaren posts on it, seeing as Zak has a hand on both sides, but this interview highlights rumours that have been running a while.

I'd love to see McLaren take on GTE, I'd be curious if the car choice, although they have a 650s replacement soon!

Interesting suggest the Strakka link for Blancpain is a possible precursor to Mr Warmsley leading a GTE attack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 Feb 2017, 13:10 (Ref:3711224)   #103
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes the rumors has been floating for a year or so that McLaren and Lamborghini are entering GTE for 2019. None of them seem to be willing to neither confirm or deny, so only time will tell.
Old 9 Feb 2017, 22:05 (Ref:3711306)   #104
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
Yes the rumors has been floating for a year or so that McLaren and Lamborghini are entering GTE for 2019. None of them seem to be willing to neither confirm or deny, so only time will tell.
Not hard to see why the rumours float. If the money is right and someone put together a proposal, the program will be greenlit swiftly. The decision could happen any day now. It just depends on how hard certain people are willing to work for sponsors, appealing to Mclaren CEO/ COO etc.

With that said, it goes to show that Mclaren, and even Lamborghini aren't really doing that great of a job because they have not been able to put together GTE programs for the Gallardo or the 12C (and qite delayed for the Huracan and the 650S). Ford, Porsche, Aston, Corvette, Ferrari, etc all figured out how to do it... I think it's a bit cheeky for Zak Brown to say that its up to Mclaren Auto COO as if Mclaren COO is going to do all of the work to secure the budget for it. If Zak Brown comes back to the office one day with a folder full of partners/ financial sponsors for the GTE program, no one is going to stop him from developing a GTE car...Not a criticism but sounds like he's done none of the work to secure any budget outside of Mclaren.
Old 10 Feb 2017, 20:46 (Ref:3711458)   #105
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
One has a car built, albeit old spec, the other is well in process.