Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 8 Aug 2018, 03:06 (Ref:3842226)   #26
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvincent View Post
Sorry. So the SCCA Runoffs is just not important at all and it means nothing. It's some rinky dink event that brings in nobody. Thanks for bringing that up and please let all SCCA people know that, They will be happy to hear that.
thanks for continuing with your posting style which was complained about. Everyone is happy to hear that.
Old 8 Aug 2018, 12:31 (Ref:3842307)   #27
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I must have missed the threads on here discussing SSCA runoffs, the articles discussing the on track action, the reviews after?? Or is that you not understanding a relative scale of things. I did not say the SCCA runoffs don't matter, to me they don't and I could not possibly care any less, but that would take you actually reading what I wrote. Instead what I said what in relation to fan impact, show me proof that an appreciable number of fans are sitting at home now deciding between attending the runoffs and Petit, oh wait, is that because you can't because even those post here couldn't tell you a single thing about the run-offs, what's racing or even how it is formatted. Just because something else is bigger doesn't mean the other is useless. It can mean it's not as important to the other's management and frankly I don't think IMSA gives a rat's behind about SCCA nor should they. But if you feel offended that oh no, someone doesn't think your thing is as important, well I can't help you with that at all.
Old 8 Aug 2018, 13:04 (Ref:3842311)   #28
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvincent View Post
Sorry. So the SCCA Runoffs is just not important at all and it means nothing. It's some rinky dink event that brings in nobody. Thanks for bringing that up and please let all SCCA people know that, They will be happy to hear that.
Why should IMSA have any considerations for the SCCA Runoffs when deciding their schedule? Club racers? Those with pro ambitions will already be in one of their support series. Corner workers? Been on the bottom of their priority list for quite a while now. Spectators? No one outside SCCA members and racing regulars (crew members, officials, etc.) know such a thing as the Runoffs even exist let alone consider attending.

As much as I like club racing, the 'clash' is a non-issue for IMSA.

Time to get over it and move on.
Old 8 Aug 2018, 15:37 (Ref:3842357)   #29
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Why should IMSA have any considerations for the SCCA Runoffs when deciding their schedule? Club racers? Those with pro ambitions will already be in one of their support series. Corner workers? Been on the bottom of their priority list for quite a while now. Spectators? No one outside SCCA members and racing regulars (crew members, officials, etc.) know such a thing as the Runoffs even exist let alone consider attending.

As much as I like club racing, the 'clash' is a non-issue for IMSA.

Time to get over it and move on.
It is an issue as IMSA is going to have problems finding people to man all of the positions needed to run the race. This wouldn't be an issue if IMSA got rid of the stance of not allowing the workers to respond to incidents on track. From working Daytona a couple years I can say they use to get a lot of workers from overseas (heck who wouldn't want to get out of Europe for a week during the winter) to work stations but since IMSA has started this policy we are lucky to get 1 or 2 workers from overseas. As I said in another post this policy leads to manufactured racing taking the endurance aspect out of the races. The way Daytona ran this year was one of the best race in a long time because of the lack of cautions.

As for the support series that could be an issue too. I see some drivers being out of contention for any of the support series titles who also run in SCCA and are Runoffs eligible running the Runoffs over the PLM support races. I can bet they would love to have a shot at a title and also save some money while going for that title.
Old 8 Aug 2018, 17:31 (Ref:3842376)   #30
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Forgive my ignorance on this subject - but the US has so many series and there are clashes every week. Why is it only an issue with SCCA runoffs and IMSA?

The UK found enough corner workers (just) to run ELMS/WEC, British GT and British SuperBikes on the same weekend. In the thousands of miles between SCCA Runoffs and Petit Le Mans, there aren't enough available corner workers to man both?

And whilst I understand the issue IMSA has with allowing corner works on tracks, I don't see why this reduces the number of available workers? Would allowing them on tracks increase worker numbers?

Not arguing - literally do not understand why this is a problem we're discussing.
Old 8 Aug 2018, 20:46 (Ref:3842405)   #31
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Forgive my ignorance on this subject - but the US has so many series and there are clashes every week. Why is it only an issue with SCCA runoffs and IMSA?

The UK found enough corner workers (just) to run ELMS/WEC, British GT and British SuperBikes on the same weekend. In the thousands of miles between SCCA Runoffs and Petit Le Mans, there aren't enough available corner workers to man both?

And whilst I understand the issue IMSA has with allowing corner works on tracks, I don't see why this reduces the number of available workers? Would allowing them on tracks increase worker numbers?

Not arguing - literally do not understand why this is a problem we're discussing.
The issue for the 2019 race is the distance between the two and having to rely on the same pool of workers for both races. This usually isn't an issue but for 2019 it is.

For 2018 they are on different coasts and not a big issue getting workers for both. For 2019 the distance between the tracks is only 347 miles.

As for working on track, yes if we were allowed to respond on track there would be more workers willing to work IMSA races. This is a known problem as both PLM and Daytona have seen a decrease in workers (especially international workers) since they started the policy of not being able to respond. It should be pretty clear that when a worker that is less than an hour from Road Atlanta doesn't want to work PLM but would rather work the Runoffs at VIR that their is an issue (for information that same worker has worked PLM for the last couple of years straight).
Old 8 Aug 2018, 23:48 (Ref:3842418)   #32
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
I find this entire line of discussion kind of ridiculous in light of all the consternation about F1/WEC/IMSA schedule conflicts, as if the people those decisions were being made for have ever heard of something called "Petit Le Mans" either.
Old 9 Aug 2018, 08:23 (Ref:3842448)   #33
btracing82
Rookie

btracing82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im half sleep and been following this thread for awhile and im sorry about punctuation and spelling but Im a former circle track racer and trying to get into sports car racing and have been to PLM the last 4 years. I adore road atlanta and that race I go to Sebring and VIR and PLM every year but as of this moment im leaning towards going to VIR for the runoffs as a spectator its only a hour and half down the road versus 7 and god knows I feel for the corner workers but I have a group of seven people and all but one of us are leaning toward VIR granted things could change
Old 9 Aug 2018, 13:52 (Ref:3842531)   #34
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

This whole (non) discussion about the 'clash' between Petit and Runoffs 2019 being an issue as far as corner workers are concerned should be done in the Marshals section of this forum. Apologies for the contributions I made to drag it on in this thread.

Let's move it there.
Old 9 Aug 2018, 14:45 (Ref:3842545)   #35
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I heard nothing from Scott about how they're going to improve and unclutter their website. I'm highly disappointed.
Old 10 Aug 2018, 01:35 (Ref:3842670)   #36
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It really is a shitshow, can't even look at it these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I heard nothing from Scott about how they're going to improve and unclutter their website. I'm highly disappointed.
Old 10 Aug 2018, 13:15 (Ref:3842782)   #37
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
It really is a shitshow, can't even look at it these days.
The web site does stink. Bad design for sure. Other than the live in car streaming during the race I only go there because sometimes the entry list is posted there before any of the media sites like sportscar365 post it. VIR entry list is up. No Risi Ferrari :-(
Old 10 Aug 2018, 13:22 (Ref:3842786)   #38
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
The web site does stink. Bad design for sure. Other than the live in car streaming during the race I only go there because sometimes the entry list is posted there before any of the media sites like sportscar365 post it. VIR entry list is up. No Risi Ferrari :-(
Too bad on the Risi car. I guess this shows how hard it is for a private team to field a pro GTE car.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 04:37 (Ref:3843514)   #39
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Akrapovic, UK population density is ~700/sq-mi, while for the US it's ~85. Also, travel distances there will be less.

On the topic, I wouldn't mind Portland, though I'd prefer a return to the 2.52-mile layout at Sears Point myself. The GT events are nice, but part of me definitely wants to see the Prototypes back at VIR; I'd be curious to see a GT-only race at Barber.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 06:17 (Ref:3843518)   #40
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Akrapovic, UK population density is ~700/sq-mi, while for the US it's ~85. Also, travel distances there will be less..
I'm not sure I'm following. It seems from these posts that US marshals will travel further, but also that the US relies on external marshal support. I don't understand quite how it's in that situation.

How can the US have a MUCH larger population, and not enough marshals to run two events together?
Old 14 Aug 2018, 08:11 (Ref:3843527)   #41
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The overall population doesn't really matter; it's how many people there are within the localized region who are willing to travel the given distance. In the UK, there simply are more people within the relevant radius of the circuit(s) in question.

And as was also pointed out, it wouldn't be an issue if, like this year, the two events are on opposite sides of the country (generally quoted as 3,000 miles across), but next year, VIR and Road Atlanta are only ~350 miles apart.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 11:10 (Ref:3843545)   #42
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
I get that, but we were talking about the US having to pull marshals from overseas as well? So there aren't enough marshals to travel within a sensible distance in the US, but there are enough who'll fly around the world to do it? Seems a bit weird.

It's just very odd. Given the size of America's motorsport world, I'm amazed marshal numbers are an issue.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 16:13 (Ref:3843595)   #43
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
It wouldn't surprise me if the percentage of the population in central and western Europe that is aware of F1 is higher than the percentage of the US population that is aware of NASCAR.

As for marshals, I'd be willing to bet that European marshals find the atmosphere of the tracks and the experience of marshaling here to be more pleasant, especially when compared to events like F1 or the WEC.

The SCCA does an awful lot of the total marshal training over here, but the entity has a long history of regionalism, so participants often don't like to go very far afield. And frankly, given the default proximity of other countries, languages, and cultures in Europe relative to the US, Americans, in general, can tend to be more insular in their thinking.

Having said all that, the closest IMSA race to me is Road America, and that's nearly 800 miles away. That distance would just about cover going from the far north of Scotland to the far south of England, wouldn't it?
Old 14 Aug 2018, 16:51 (Ref:3843604)   #44
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if the percentage of the population in central and western Europe that is aware of F1 is higher than the percentage of the US population that is aware of NASCAR.

As for marshals, I'd be willing to bet that European marshals find the atmosphere of the tracks and the experience of marshaling here to be more pleasant, especially when compared to events like F1 or the WEC.

The SCCA does an awful lot of the total marshal training over here, but the entity has a long history of regionalism, so participants often don't like to go very far afield. And frankly, given the default proximity of other countries, languages, and cultures in Europe relative to the US, Americans, in general, can tend to be more insular in their thinking.

Having said all that, the closest IMSA race to me is Road America, and that's nearly 800 miles away. That distance would just about cover going from the far north of Scotland to the far south of England, wouldn't it?
Totally get the size thing, and your comparison is about right for sure. I just think it's a bizarre situation where American can't get enough of its own marshalls (from lets say, 1000 mile radius), and relies on people from 5000 miles away in a different country.

That's a bizarre situation to be in. Although, to be blunt, I don't think IMSA needs to care what anyone outside of IndyCar and NASCAR are doing. As harsh as it sounds, WEC doesn't move dates to suit BTCC (they move dates to suit Fernando...)
Old 14 Aug 2018, 19:23 (Ref:3843642)   #45
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Totally get the size thing, and your comparison is about right for sure. I just think it's a bizarre situation where American can't get enough of its own marshalls (from lets say, 1000 mile radius), and relies on people from 5000 miles away in a different country.

That's a bizarre situation to be in. Although, to be blunt, I don't think IMSA needs to care what anyone outside of IndyCar and NASCAR are doing. As harsh as it sounds, WEC doesn't move dates to suit BTCC (they move dates to suit Fernando...)
People in other countries want to hit some of the Big Races here: Sebring, PLM and Daytona and see courses that have hosted F1 events in the past like Watkins Glen, Mosport, etc. (it works both ways, too I would think).

Reliance? I can't answer that, but that's interesting. Don't think it would be complete reliance, but I've been wrong 20x already today... And flying from the west coast to the east coast, renting a vehicle, getting a hotel etc. won't be much less than coming from overseas I would think; it all seems like a great pain in the ass, but I'm no traveler....

The amount of marshalls deciding going to the Runoffs on the complete opposite side of the country from PLM should be few and far between. Both have been happening around the same time of the year for years and would have been difficult to attend both for sometime now. I personally think it's a none issue.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 05:56 (Ref:3843709)   #46
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a scca grid worker in San Francisco i see the concern. We are volunteers. I am a 48 yr old self employed guy who just loves cars, especially race cars. That being said, I dont go out of my region to volunteer unless it is something special. In our region, it would be real tough if we had the runoffs at say Sonoma, while a big imsa race was at laguna seca. We certainly dont have enough local people to handle both events in this case. But, I imagine we could get a bunch of northwest and so cal folks to come help. Still a big 'ask'. I love volunteering, but the cost of attending the weekends is pretty steep, especially if you had to fly. you really need to love it. Hope it all works out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 15 Aug 2018, 14:39 (Ref:3843786)   #47
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidder View Post
As a scca grid worker in San Francisco i see the concern. We are volunteers.

I love volunteering, but the cost of attending the weekends is pretty steep, especially if you had to fly.
IMSA could easily solve that by paying the crew.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 16:29 (Ref:3844039)   #48
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
AFS/PR1 has switched to an Oreca