Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 25 Feb 2018, 07:16 (Ref:3803737)   #576
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
You know where my roots are, John. With the announced temps and the heavy wind its gonna be hard to make a decent barbecue for a while in your neiborhood! The landscape, red bricks houses reminds one of Brel's song "Le plat pays qui est le mien".
Old 25 Feb 2018, 07:20 (Ref:3803739)   #577
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
You know where my roots are, John. With the announced temps and the heavy wind its gonna be hard to make a decent barbecue for a while in your neiborhood! The landscape, red bricks houses reminds one of Brel's song "Le plat pays qui est le mien".
I do indeed know your roots, Gerard, you should come back!

There's no wind this morning, just cold & sunny. At least I should not have to break into my car when I go out shortly. A couple of times this week the door seals have been frozen.

...and funnily enough we were planning a BBQ last night, but not just yet! It's to be a charity event in the summer.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 12:16 (Ref:3803784)   #578
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Not a regular on here, but I’m sure with us in spirit- it’s young Mr Turner’s birthday today. (Kevin, alias krt917, Autosport editor and son of our John T..)

Happy birthday Kevin!
Old 25 Feb 2018, 13:34 (Ref:3803799)   #579
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Not a regular on here, but I’m sure with us in spirit- it’s young Mr Turner’s birthday today. (Kevin, alias krt917, Autosport editor and son of our John T..)

Happy birthday Kevin!
And also a particular good commentator at Goodwood these days!
Old 25 Feb 2018, 14:05 (Ref:3803810)   #580
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
And also a particular good commentator at Goodwood these days!
A very nice young man, makes you wonder about his d..... OOPS!
Old 25 Feb 2018, 15:59 (Ref:3803824)   #581
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Please allow me to join for the birthday, his English is so perfect that I can understand almost every word. Not mentioning the huge knowledge.
Happy birthday and thank you for the comments.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 20:00 (Ref:3803866)   #582
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yes happy birthday Kev . I’m now in Frank and Benny’s at home after four very long days at Race Retro and Donington . More beer and pizza 😀😀😀
Old 25 Feb 2018, 20:49 (Ref:3803879)   #583
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Wish I was back in South Africa . Hope to test at Mallory this Wednesday and then straight on to Zandvoort not holding up much hope for any of this happening .
Old 25 Feb 2018, 22:37 (Ref:3803904)   #584
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I find Meteo France generally to be pretty accurate, or at least they are locally around here. If they say it is going to rain at 3 o'clock it usually does.
BBC obviously agree since they've switched their weather source to Meteo!
Old 26 Feb 2018, 09:06 (Ref:3803978)   #585
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
BBC obviously agree since they've switched their weather source to Meteo!
Over simplification, and possibly not correct. ( By the way, most of our weather seems to be sourced from the Americas via the Jet Stream! )

The BBC has contracted Meteo to provide the daily forecasts, but I think that it was purely due to The Met Office asking for more money than Meteo at contract renewal time.

However, all weather warnings will continue to be issued to the BBC by The Met Office, not by Meteo. Whether (pun intended) that is because The Met Office are more accurate has not been explained!
Old 26 Feb 2018, 09:37 (Ref:3803984)   #586
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Over simplification, and possibly not correct. ( By the way, most of our weather seems to be sourced from the Americas via the Jet Stream! )

The BBC has contracted Meteo to provide the daily forecasts, but I think that it was purely due to The Met Office asking for more money than Meteo at contract renewal time.

However, all weather warnings will continue to be issued to the BBC by The Met Office, not by Meteo. Whether (pun intended) that is because The Met Office are more accurate has not been explained!
That sounds confusing!

So Meteo will give good news and the Met Office bad news?
Old 26 Feb 2018, 10:13 (Ref:3803990)   #587
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
That sounds confusing!

So Meteo will give good news and the Met Office bad news?
Yes, and both sides make sure that the right organisation will get the blame for when it all goes horribly wrong, like an unexpected hurricane!

The new BBC weather website pages clearly state that it's the BBC Weather in association with Meteo, whilst the warnings are clearly marked as being issued by The Met Office.

You couldn't make it up! I am becoming more convinced that the "satirical" programme on the BBC called W1A is actually a fly on the wall documentary!
Old 26 Feb 2018, 10:23 (Ref:3803994)   #588
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Yes, and both sides make sure that the right organisation will get the blame for when it all goes horribly wrong, like an unexpected hurricane!

The new BBC weather website pages clearly state that it's the BBC Weather in association with Meteo, whilst the warnings are clearly marked as being issued by The Met Office.

You couldn't make it up! I am becoming more convinced that the "satirical" programme on the BBC called W1A is actually a fly on the wall documentary!
Isn't the BBC in the habit of putting out it's own version of everything these days, rather than simply reporting the facts?

Certainly can't be trusted on the news!
Old 26 Feb 2018, 11:34 (Ref:3804013)   #589
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Since the beeb changed their weather website I've started using Met Office instead....
Old 26 Feb 2018, 13:00 (Ref:3804031)   #590
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Surely it's only Norfolk Meteo that matters? A piece of seaweed and a stone.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 26 Feb 2018, 13:13 (Ref:3804035)   #591
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Surely it's only Norfolk Meteo that matters? A piece of seaweed and a stone.
Certainly common sense and a bit of understanding of how our weather works helps! Those and seaweed

Few years ago the local university offered farmers an internet weather service. May still do. Some of my acquaintance found it unreliable and changed to using RAF or Civil aircraft information, as suggested many posts ago......
Old 27 Feb 2018, 13:07 (Ref:3804262)   #592
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
So why did our regional train operator cancel several routes before we’d even had any snow? The cynic in me thinks there must be some financial incentive for them to do so, rather than it being a case of looking after customers best interests!

Mercedes have announced that there will be a ‘hot’ version of the next generation A Class designated ‘A35’..... Perhaps there’s no one at Merc who remembers what an A35 actually is / was......
Old 27 Feb 2018, 13:14 (Ref:3804264)   #593
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
So why did our regional train operator cancel several routes before we’d even had any snow? The cynic in me thinks there must be some financial incentive for them to do so, rather than it being a case of looking after customers best interests!

Mercedes have announced that there will be a ‘hot’ version of the next generation A Class designated ‘A35’..... Perhaps there’s no one at Merc who remembers what an A35 actually is / was......

Perhaps they've got an eye to a one-make race at Goodwood in about 40 years time?
Old 27 Feb 2018, 13:16 (Ref:3804265)   #594
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Another tenthers birthday today according to the list- young Will Nuthall, he who both prepares and drives historic machinery beautifully, but is far too quick for my liking.....

Old 27 Feb 2018, 13:16 (Ref:3804266)   #595
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Perhaps they've got an eye to a one-make race at Goodwood in about 40 years time?

Just thought, would A35 by any chance be a badge owned by BMW?
Old 27 Feb 2018, 13:18 (Ref:3804267)   #596
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Just thought, would A35 by any chance be a badge owned by BMW?
Now there’s a thought! Would BMW admit to owning it though.......
Old 27 Feb 2018, 13:28 (Ref:3804269)   #597
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Austin brand is owned by the Chinese SAIC group which owns MG and I believe Rover and Wolseley.

BMW own Triumph (new Stag anyone) and of course Mini.

Last edited by gary396; 27 Feb 2018 at 13:29. Reason: Add info
Old 27 Feb 2018, 15:33 (Ref:3804313)   #598
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Mallory here we come. Guess we can have a "all day breakfast" if nothing else "
Old 27 Feb 2018, 15:33 (Ref:3804314)   #599
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Another tenthers birthday today according to the list- young Will Nuthall, he who both prepares and drives historic machinery beautifully, but is far too quick for my liking.....

Yes Mike he must be all of 12.Happy Birthday Will.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 15:57 (Ref:3804329)   #600
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Happy birthday Will.
Closed Thread