Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Feb 2018, 05:22 (Ref:3799773)   #101
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
F1's days are numbered anyway with all the heavy weight manufacturers off to Formula Scalectrix the end is nigh.
Old 9 Feb 2018, 08:22 (Ref:3799794)   #102
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing I find most depressing about it is the fact that too many people think F1=motor racing. All the things I hear people complain about when talking about F1 in pubs etc are things that other series already do and do very well but they are only interested in watching F1.

F1's two biggest assets IMO are it's tv slots (which they are giving up to go behind paywalls) and the celebrity status of it's drivers.
Old 9 Feb 2018, 11:08 (Ref:3799823)   #103
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I always thought it was doomed when they gave them paddle gears and clutches.
Give them back the 3rd pedal and a long left hand gear stick. Watch 'em all cock up.
Old 9 Feb 2018, 11:14 (Ref:3799826)   #104
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I must admit that the HALO doesn't offend me, as Sodemo said above they need to get the aero off the cars and bring back racing, every rule change they ever come up with just compounds the problem, the OWG, last year's wider cars with more aero, pointless. KERS, ERS, big fat heavy cars, all terrible.

Oh well, we still have MotoGP, and they were bright enough to concrete over the aero rabbit hole and preserve the integrity of the racing.

P.S. The circuits with miles and miles of run off are just beyond awful, may as well just pave a huge square and put a couple of squiggly lines in the centre. Screw up the braking go straight across a couple of corners and set a faster time while not gaining an advantage.

F1 is just so broken, you have to wonder if actual racing will ever come back. Giving up on it seems the only logical answer.

There is no hope!

Whilst I fully appreciate it’s a simplistic view, less aero and more mechanical grip has to be the answer.
They need to;

- Severely limit the upper surface aero
- Restrict the size and complexity of the front wings
- Restrict the size of the rear wings
- Enable teams to gain aero back lost from upper surfaces, to underbody aero
- Widen the cars to 2200mm

For me there is nothing wrong with the width of the cars, id make them even wider to 2200mm, it will help through slower corners. I would also like a maximum wheelbase rule as the cars now are so long, I much prefer shorter cars from an aesthetics point of view, it would also make them twitchier and harder to drive.
Old 9 Feb 2018, 11:41 (Ref:3799840)   #105
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Imola, May 1994 was the weekend when the very DNA of motorsport, and F1 in particular,changed forever.

That utterly tragic GP, witnessed by millions on TV, was so profoundly numbing that nothing like it was ever going to be allowed to happen again.

Safety became paramount, cars, and circuits in particular were reinvented, but something along the way has been lost.

F1 will never be the same again, and maybe rightly so.We've traded a raw, hardcore human adrenaline rush for something similar, but much safer and sterile.

On balance, maybe that's a good thing. Me, well I certainly won't pay to watch modern F1 and have found MotoGP to be the perfect alternative.
Old 9 Feb 2018, 13:27 (Ref:3799872)   #106
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
You’re all so silly and behind the times. I realised in 2002 that it had got boring and sold my telly. Never watched a race since. It took me nearly half a decade to realise, but I wasn’t that slow. You lot, 2018 before you realised?!
I fell asleep during the 2002 Hungarian GP, and woke up to find it was 2027 and Lewis Hamilton had just won his 10th consecutive title. I don't even know who Lewis Hamilton is.
Old 9 Feb 2018, 13:42 (Ref:3799880)   #107
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well if someone went to kip in 2002 and woke up again in 2018, they'd probably be amazed to see no refuelling, slick tyres, Paul Ricard and Mexico City (albeit in a slightly sanitised form) back on the calendar and Ferrari, McLaren, Williams, Renault and Sauber the only teams to have kept the same name, although the latter two after a short lived name change. They'd also be interested to hear how Mercedes became so successful
Old 9 Feb 2018, 14:26 (Ref:3799902)   #108
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
thats a big part of the problem right there...over the past several seasons we have had a truly excellent grid in F1. multiple title and race winners, some incredible young talent, future superstars emerging.

some of the best grids in decades have been hidden behind overly expensive and inaccessible pay walls.
On paper the grids may have looked good but the reality is the racing has been dire.
Old 9 Feb 2018, 14:29 (Ref:3799904)   #109
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
F1 always seems to prefer the complicated route rather than the simple option
Exactly. How many tyre compounds do they now have and the racing is no better?
Old 9 Feb 2018, 16:06 (Ref:3799954)   #110
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I’d rather have more tyre manufacturers than more tyre compounds. I felt the five types of slicks we’ve had the past few seasons are enough
Old 10 Feb 2018, 10:28 (Ref:3800209)   #111
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where is Formula 1 heading? Fans around the globe have voiced there anger at these ridiculous grid penalties which have destroyed races. How do the rule makers react? By restricting teams to three power units per car per season. This could make teams decide to turn there engines down rather than risking chasing a car for a few points. Teams could adopt a strategy of what is the slowest way to win a race. What a time to make Formula 1 PPV. Massive brands like Hugo Boss have dumped F1 and switched to Formula E. Surely that has to be a warning sign when a long term sponsor decides to invest it's money in another race series. Then there was Audi, when they announced there departure from the WEC series some arrogant folks automatically thought that Audi would enter F1 WRONG instead they choose Formula E, another warning sign. I think Formula 1 at the moment is a mess. The racing is boring and predictable and with the restrictions on testing, we will probably find out the championship order in a few weeks at pre season testing. As I say, what a time to make F1 PPV. Completely mad.
Old 10 Feb 2018, 11:16 (Ref:3800227)   #112
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pole2pole View Post
........ Teams could adopt a strategy of what is the slowest way to win a race. ........
Could??
thought they'd been doing that for a few years now....
Old 10 Feb 2018, 17:16 (Ref:3800325)   #113
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Could??
thought they'd been doing that for a few years now....
Totally agree. I think it will be much more evident this year and not only in the races but also in qualifying. Teams who find themselves into the next round of qualifying and expect to be the slowest in that group will remain in the pits to protect the power unit. Basically means less bang for your buck for the fans.
Old 10 Feb 2018, 17:54 (Ref:3800329)   #114
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think of more concern to me is how Renault, RB, and Mclaren will approach it.

perhaps of small concern, but if they either collectively or independently some how find themselves 'intentionally' taking penalties on the same race weekends i think i am going to have a problem with that.
Old 10 Feb 2018, 18:39 (Ref:3800335)   #115
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i think of more concern to me is how Renault, RB, and Mclaren will approach it.

perhaps of small concern, but if they either collectively or independently some how find themselves 'intentionally' taking penalties on the same race weekends i think i am going to have a problem with that.
Very good point.
Old 10 Feb 2018, 19:38 (Ref:3800343)   #116
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I’d rather have more tyre manufacturers than more tyre compounds. I felt the five types of slicks we’ve had the past few seasons are enough
there's pretty much only one other tyre manufacturer who has the money to invest in f1. it's a bit of a poison chalice, especially when the current sole supplier has years of experience with these cars.

the total number of slick compounds available to pirelli and the teams over the year is totally irrelevant to the less obsessive fan. all they need to know is which is the softer one, which is the harder one and what colour they are. it's not like theres every single compound available at every single race...
Old 10 Feb 2018, 21:51 (Ref:3800355)   #117
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
there's pretty much only one other tyre manufacturer who has the money to invest in f1. it's a bit of a poison chalice, especially when the current sole supplier has years of experience with these cars.

the total number of slick compounds available to pirelli and the teams over the year is totally irrelevant to the less obsessive fan. all they need to know is which is the softer one, which is the harder one and what colour they are. it's not like theres every single compound available at every single race...
It can't have been cheap for Pirelli to develop all these different slick compounds and it hasn't improved the racing any. One option tyre would have sufficed.

I think you're right, the total number of slick compounds available isn't relevant to the less obsessive or casual fan. Unfortunately, if F1 goes completely behind a pay wall, that will be it for the less obsessive or casual fan and it won't matter how many compounds Pirelli produce.
Old 11 Feb 2018, 05:56 (Ref:3800422)   #118
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It can't have been cheap for Pirelli to develop all these different slick compounds and it hasn't improved the racing any. One option tyre would have sufficed.
they can’t win can they? we saw what happened when there were only a couple of compounds when they first took on the f1 thing. failures and whinging everywhere. now they have a selection to cover every eventuality and protect both themselves and the sport, and people are criticising them for that?

good grief.
Old 11 Feb 2018, 08:42 (Ref:3800434)   #119
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
good grief.
+1 from me.

When Pirelli followed the FIA, teams and FOM's instructions they got moaned at (these tyres don't last long enough).
When they attempted something a bit different, they got moaned at (they're not following the contract).
When they added compounds that were more durable, they got moaned at (the tyres last way too long!).
When they made an extra couple of steps in durability, they got moaned at (we only need two types of tyre).
When they added the ultra-stupendo-soft, they got moaned at (because a couple of teams could run them twice as far as some of the others).

If I were a tyre manufacturer I'd stay well clear of F1. Nothing is good enough for the fans, nothing at all.
Old 11 Feb 2018, 10:43 (Ref:3800460)   #120
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Going back a few decades, wasn't there 3 compounds, (an A, B and C tyre) which were taken to all tracks?

What is so different now?
Old 11 Feb 2018, 11:25 (Ref:3800467)   #121
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Going back a few decades, wasn't there 3 compounds, (an A, B and C tyre) which were taken to all tracks?

What's changed is the tyre manufacturers' attitude towards motor racing (along with some other trade suppliers). They now no longer view this as a marketing exercise, and treat is as just another business opportunity. Gone are the days when a tyre manufacturer would provide free tyres to the teams, and also gone are the days where the vast majority of the races are in Europe.

This latter is important because the cost of transporting and servicing such components as tyres is far greater than in days past.
Old 11 Feb 2018, 11:32 (Ref:3800470)   #122
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post

The teams had freedom to choose which compound they wished to use to suit their car and track. At pit stops where they changed tyres they could use new tyres of the same compounds. Now they get to choose from a compromised choice where nothing is ideal and they HAVE to use two of the choices during the course of the race.
Old 11 Feb 2018, 15:31 (Ref:3800509)   #123
S griffin
Veteran

I have never really liked this idea of having to choose which compound to use, they should have the freedom. It would make drivers think more about how to set up the car and how to make their strategy work. Imagine a driver trying to get to the end of one set of tyres, that would be fun
Old 11 Feb 2018, 18:42 (Ref:3800528)   #124
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
One regulation in formula one at the moment that I would so like to see abolished is this stupid ridiculous restriction they have on in season testing. I miss the days when we would hear that the team or teams chasing the leaders have major upgrades coming for the next race and according to recent testing times, it's looks like we are going to get a fight which provided the fans with something to tune in and look forward to. In this era of formula one that hope is gone. The season can be predicted from pre season testing times. Nothing changes during the season. If this testing restriction would have been kicked out a few years back then maybe the McLaren Honda partnership may have worked.
Old 11 Feb 2018, 23:06 (Ref:3800581)   #125
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
+1 from me.

When Pirelli followed the FIA, teams and FOM's instructions they got moaned at (these tyres don't last long enough).
When they attempted something a bit different, they got moaned at (they're not following the contract).
When they added compounds that were more durable, they got moaned at (the tyres last way too long!).
When they made an extra couple of steps in durability, they got moaned at (we only need two types of tyre).
When they added the ultra-stupendo-soft, they got moaned at (because a couple of teams could run them twice as far as some of the others).

If I were a tyre manufacturer I'd stay well clear of F1. Nothing is good enough for the fans, nothing at all.
IndyCar haven't had the issues with Firestone, that F1 have had with Pirelli. They race on a greater variety of surfaces than F1, using only one prime and one option tyre, not the plethora of tyres made by Pirelli and the racing is better. That's not to say it's been plain sailing.

At Texas last year, IndyCar and Firestone officials decided on competition caution periods and mandatory tyre stops, every 30 green flag laps because of tyre blistering but that's the first time in a long time since there has been a major issue with tyres.