Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Sep 2020, 16:30 (Ref:4000547)   #126
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
This is the first time since Canada 2007 that the podium has been filled by drivers who hadn’t won a GP prior to the race

(I almost said Hungary 2006, b4 I remembered Canada)
Old 6 Sep 2020, 16:34 (Ref:4000551)   #127
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Yep, I stood corrected. I've watched it umpteen times and I still don't think it's clear at all, but I'll take the correction on the chin.

I was with you - on the replays I've seen it still doesn't seem clear, and in the split-second available I'm sure you'd see in your peripheral vision what you expected to see - ie "SC".

I'd love to know how much time there was between the team being advised that pit lane was closed and Lewis turning in....
Old 6 Sep 2020, 16:45 (Ref:4000552)   #128
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In more confusing news, Autosport now have an article published which has a conversation with Toto Wolff where they repeatedly describe the crosses as yellow!
Old 6 Sep 2020, 16:55 (Ref:4000555)   #129
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yep, I stood corrected. I've watched it umpteen times and I still don't think it's clear at all, but I'll take the correction on the chin.
I thought the same, but when they showed it again.

It’s actually a good position for the signs. Better than on the actual pit entry, it really would be useless there. Which is why they don’t have it there!

I guess none of us are familiar with this as it is very unusual. I don’t recall a time when they closed the pits with the SC. Most times they don’t need to.
Old 6 Sep 2020, 16:56 (Ref:4000556)   #130
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
In more confusing news, Autosport now have an article published which has a conversation with Toto Wolff where they repeatedly describe the crosses as yellow!
I thought they looked orange!
Old 6 Sep 2020, 17:58 (Ref:4000563)   #131
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It must be clear in the rules, so difficult for Mercedes or Hamilton to complain (not that Lewis has).

Typical Mercedes in that situation though. Their weakness is on the pitwall (not that they are at all bad, but it is their weakpoint).
Old 6 Sep 2020, 18:06 (Ref:4000564)   #132
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well that was different, Horrid day for Ferrari, almost as bad for Red bull and not a good day for mercedes. It was a pity hamilton managed to get in the points otherwise williams would have scored there first point. Would have been a better way to say goodbye to Frank and claire. Anyway a great day for the midfield teams and congratulations to Gasly.
Old 6 Sep 2020, 18:36 (Ref:4000578)   #133
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Currently watching the highlights on C4, funny how they interviewed Gasly in the build up and Steve Jones asked him to do his Brazil celebration again!
Old 6 Sep 2020, 19:06 (Ref:4000587)   #134
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
When was the last time we had a team other than Mercedes, Red Bull or Ferrari win a race?

(I mean, they have a pretty good chance to do it today.)
Kimi Raikkonen in a Lotus Australia 2013

How about the last time none of the above were on the podium?

Hungary 2012 ....
Lewis McLaren
Kimi Lotus
Grosjean Lotus

Another was Canada 2012
Lewis McLaren
Grosjean Lotus
Perez Sauber

Before that in 2009 we had two consecutive races without them ... although that was the predecessor to Mercedes.

Australia 2009
Button Brawn
Barrichello Brawn
Trulli in a Toyota

Malaysia 2009
Button Brawn
Heidfeld BMW Sauber
Glock in a Toyota.

Singapore 2009
Lewis, McLaren
Glock Toyota
Alonso Renault.
Old 6 Sep 2020, 19:18 (Ref:4000590)   #135
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
It must be clear in the rules, so difficult for Mercedes or Hamilton to complain (not that Lewis has).

Typical Mercedes in that situation though. Their weakness is on the pitwall (not that they are at all bad, but it is their weakpoint).
Pretty sure it was him we saw on the box, running straight up to the stewards office after they all parked up in the pitlane when race was stopped? There was also some 'confusion' on the pit to car just before they left the pits for the restart where he queried whether 'we' should risk not coming in for the stop go after the mandatory 2 laps and 'risk it.' At least 2 team members quickly informed him that wasn't a good idea!

Other strange things happened to Lewis today which clearly meant he was having a mare:

1/ He missed his regular BLM slot pre race but apparently it was the team's fault?!

2/ He said to an interviewer in the pen that he didn't know who the other podium finishers were. Bizarrely he was clearly seen back slapping or fist pumping them in parc ferme. Maybe he thought he was just congratulating other finishers automatically thinking he he had won the race as usual!

However, twilight zone craziness aside, what a great result for Gasly, Alpha Tauri, Sainz & McLaren, Team Stroll (I guess...) and for F1 in general!
Old 6 Sep 2020, 19:21 (Ref:4000592)   #136
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I would love to see a link to the commentary in Gazetta Della Sport tomorrow.Proud for Italy and yet unlikely to say anything kind about the primary Italian team.
Old 6 Sep 2020, 19:31 (Ref:4000596)   #137
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
When was the last time we had a team other than Mercedes, Red Bull or Ferrari win a race?

(I mean, they have a pretty good chance to do it today.)
Melbourne 2013, Lotus-Renault driven by Kimi Räikkönen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_A...nd_Prix#Race_2
Old 6 Sep 2020, 19:46 (Ref:4000598)   #138
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Pretty sure it was him we saw on the box, running straight up to the stewards office after they all parked up in the pitlane when race was stopped? There was also some 'confusion' on the pit to car just before they left the pits for the restart where he queried whether 'we' should risk not coming in for the stop go after the mandatory 2 laps and 'risk it.' At least 2 team members quickly informed him that wasn't a good idea!

Other strange things happened to Lewis today which clearly meant he was having a mare:

1/ He missed his regular BLM slot pre race but apparently it was the team's fault?!

2/ He said to an interviewer in the pen that he didn't know who the other podium finishers were. Bizarrely he was clearly seen back slapping or fist pumping them in parc ferme. Maybe he thought he was just congratulating other finishers automatically thinking he he had won the race as usual!

However, twilight zone craziness aside, what a great result for Gasly, Alpha Tauri, Sainz & McLaren, Team Stroll (I guess...) and for F1 in general!
Clearly having a mare?

I was running away up front for the first half of the race and turned a 30 second deficit for the back of the pack into a 7th place finish, overtaking more cars than anyone else in the field while his teammate overtook 1 car.....

....that’s having a mare?
Old 6 Sep 2020, 20:06 (Ref:4000601)   #139
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Clearly having a mare?

I was running away up front for the first half of the race and turned a 30 second deficit for the back of the pack into a 7th place finish, overtaking more cars than anyone else in the field while his teammate overtook 1 car.....

Depends on the filter you view things through before making your judgement......
Old 6 Sep 2020, 20:29 (Ref:4000604)   #140
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Depends on the filter you view things through before making your judgement......
Please explain?

By what ever filter, dominating a race and then getting it all together after a penalty to overtake half the field after a 30 second deficit and maintain your points gap is hardly having a mare....

....it’s not even like he spun off, crashed etc.
Old 6 Sep 2020, 20:35 (Ref:4000605)   #141
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Please explain?

By what ever filter, dominating a race and then getting it all together after a penalty to overtake half the field after a 30 second deficit and maintain your points gap is hardly having a mare....

....it’s not even like he spun off, crashed etc.
If you view things through your filter, you'll see things differently and not see the full picture.

If the filter you choose is one that masks the positives of a driver, and highlights the negatives, then you might see him as having a mare.

It helps to remove the filter sometimes. Some people seem to struggle with doing so.
Old 6 Sep 2020, 20:43 (Ref:4000607)   #142
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There will always be filters. We all have them. We don't generally call them 'filters' though.

Hamilton's run through to 7th was terrific. What did he end up, 8-9 seconds behind Bottas? Filtered or not, that's a comparison which does Bottas no favours at all.

I've only just watched the highlights. That, I did not expect....... After so many sterile GPs, what a breath of fresh air.
Old 6 Sep 2020, 20:48 (Ref:4000611)   #143
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
If you view things through your filter, you'll see things differently and not see the full picture.

If the filter you choose is one that masks the positives of a driver, and highlights the negatives, then you might see him as having a mare.

It helps to remove the filter sometimes. Some people seem to struggle with doing so.
I’m fully aware that we all have biases.....

....but again, objectively filter or no filter, Which part of leading for half the race, then overtaking half the field is ‘having a mare’?

I’d class slipping back from the front row, sitting in 6th for the entire Grand Prix while your teammate does the above, having a mare....

Last edited by ascarracinguk; 6 Sep 2020 at 20:54.
Old 6 Sep 2020, 20:54 (Ref:4000613)   #144
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Agreed. A 'mare of a result perhaps, but other than not seeing (or being told about) the pit closed decision, he was actually as perfect as usual. I mwonder if he actually felt the experience of being able to race and overtake other cars as a competitor and not just a lapping leader was just that little bit exhilarating....?
Old 6 Sep 2020, 20:59 (Ref:4000614)   #145
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Agreed. A 'mare of a result perhaps, but other than not seeing (or being told about) the pit closed decision, he was actually as perfect as usual. I mwonder if he actually felt the experience of being able to race and overtake other cars as a competitor and not just a lapping leader was just that little bit exhilarating....?
Yup. Listen to his post race interview, no wobbly lip and sounded like he enjoyed the race. I suppose it helps knowing your main competitors weren’t doing so well either
Old 6 Sep 2020, 21:08 (Ref:4000620)   #146
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To my mind the call for Mercedes and Hamilton was very tight but all have taken it in good grace. Toto Wolff could see that the result was good for F1 even if it was not good for his team in the C4 interview afterwards. I suspect that's the last time Mercedes will fall foul of that rule. To me the light boards in question looked a bit like a change of surface warning but then TV does not always show these things clearly.
Old 6 Sep 2020, 21:59 (Ref:4000629)   #147
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Clearly having a mare?

You've not seen the irony in most of my post then?!!
Old 6 Sep 2020, 22:00 (Ref:4000630)   #148
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Loved that - had goosebumps as Gasly crossed the line, remembering the Minardi team of old, Giancarlo himself, the best damn coffee in the paddock - that linkage makes this win special.

What a bloody race - incredible outcome really and it shows how competitive F1 is behind the "big 3" of MB, Fezza & RB, all of which had not great days.

Re the pit lane closed, was interesting that the commentators seemed to be onto it before the teams concerned - must be something different in the screens they're looking at.

The Bottas situation was interesting I thought, we've seen it before too - only needs something not quite right and a driver who is very, very close to Hamilton on pace (sometimes even quicker) is struggling - these cars really are too sensitive generally.

No such problems for Gasly though & nor for Sainz - not sure why Sainz wasn't able to close the gap sooner given the pace of the orange cars generally but really pleased for Gasly that he performed so well and of course, totally rapt for the little team from Faenza!
Old 7 Sep 2020, 03:14 (Ref:4000662)   #149
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Melbourne 2013, Lotus-Renault driven by Kimi Räikkönen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_A...nd_Prix#Race_2
Answer to that question in more detail (when was the last time we had a podium without Mercedes,Red Bull or Ferrari) on the previous page, post #134:

https://tentenths.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=134
Old 7 Sep 2020, 03:42 (Ref:4000663)   #150
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was an exciting race however I was a bit confused by the red flag rules. I knew teams could repair damage to the cars "for safety" but I thought it was parc ferme conditions such as after qualifying meaning repairs had to be like for like and subject to approval by FIA officials.

Didn't realise they could change to the other tyre compounds and it was also mentioned on Sky that the Mercs were allowed to remove some blanking to help cool their cars for safety reasons.

Has it always been like this or am I getting confused with rules from a different series?