Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 23 Jun 2019, 14:07 (Ref:3913707)   #1851
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
What did the #911 have a penalty for again? Those Audi's were putting in some blistering times in the few hours after the sun came up; not surprised the winning Audi caught up
Old 23 Jun 2019, 14:13 (Ref:3913709)   #1852
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Greatly enjoyed the parts I was able to view. Just an awesome event at an awesome place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari333SP View Post
What did the #911 have a penalty for again? Those Audi's were putting in some blistering times in the few hours after the sun came up; not surprised the winning Audi caught up
Ignoring local yellows, for the 911.
Old 23 Jun 2019, 14:13 (Ref:3913710)   #1853
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
What did the #911 have a penalty for again?
It was for speeding in a slow zone - to be precise, Estre was clocked at 172 km/h in a 120 km/h zone. I haven't verified this, but it seems that the penalty was the requisite 32 seconds pit lane traversal time + 1 minute for every 10 km/h over the limit the car was, hence 5 minutes 32 seconds.

The #911 did have a slight edge over the Audis all race, but the #4 picked up enough pace at the end to keep the gap.
Old 23 Jun 2019, 14:34 (Ref:3913712)   #1854
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
Ahhhh gotcha; for leading for so long, to then make a dumb move like that to ruin your race....that must suck, haha.

Hoping next year we can see some top line Astons, Bentleys, Ferraris, and McLarens, to spice up the race even more. Get some of those Blancpain teams to do some VLN races and then the 24H. In reality, they should make the N24 a race of the Blancpain series; combine it with the VLN or something.
Old 23 Jun 2019, 16:39 (Ref:3913738)   #1855
August
Rookie

Finland
August should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hoping next year we can see some top line Astons, Bentleys, Ferraris, and McLarens, to spice up the race even more. Get some of those Blancpain teams to do some VLN races and then the 24H. In reality, they should make the N24 a race of the Blancpain series; combine it with the VLN or something.
Unfortunately doesn't seem like the manufacturers outside Germany had that much interest to compete at the N24h. Bentley's been missing for a few years, which seems to coincide with the lack of a Bentley team in the ADAC GT Masters as it was a German team, not M-Sport running cars at the N24h. And the presence of other non-German brands seems to depend on local customer teams. Kinda strangely, Aston has a factory-backed team but they're running a GT4 car.

Inclusion into an SRO championship would surely help in attracting more OEMs, though I don't see the inclusion happening. Another 24h race would add to the cost of running the Blancpain season. More realistically, if N24h was over to be added to an SRO championsip, I'd see it in the Interconti GT. I mean, the manufacturers are partnering with different local customers in each race of the season so an OEM could partner with a VLN/ADAC GT team instead of doing the N24h with the Blancpain team. But anyway, don't really see any of above happening.
Old 23 Jun 2019, 16:41 (Ref:3913740)   #1856
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I understand why the race has moved back to the post LM slot, but it'd be nice to have a longer gap from Le Mans. Like, 2-3 weeks. I know it needs a gap to the Spa 24 hours too, but less than a week between 2 major 24H events is a bit tight.

You will not seen a large amount of Astons, Bentley, Ferrari or McLaren. You may get 2-3 of each if you're REALLY lucky. And no the N24 should not be a Blancpain event. It should remain a stand-alone, kinda half VLN event.
Old 23 Jun 2019, 17:12 (Ref:3913749)   #1857
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I understand why the race has moved back to the post LM slot, but it'd be nice to have a longer gap from Le Mans. Like, 2-3 weeks. I know it needs a gap to the Spa 24 hours too, but less than a week between 2 major 24H events is a bit tight.
It’s 23-24 May next year, which I personally think is the ideal weekend. Last year they published a six-year plan:

10 - 13 May 2018
20 - 23 June 2019
21 - 24 May 2020
3 - 6 June 2021
16 - 19 June 2022
8 - 11 June 2023

2022 clashes with Le Mans and will surely thus be changed, 2023 is the week before. No more post-Le Mans dates.

The dates are co-ordinated with Rock Am Ring music festival and are all German national holidays I believe.

This is an incredible, amazing event. By far my annual highlight.
Old 23 Jun 2019, 17:18 (Ref:3913750)   #1858
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
It’s 23-24 May next year, which I personally think is the ideal weekend. Last year they published a six-year plan:

10 - 13 May 2018
20 - 23 June 2019
21 - 24 May 2020
3 - 6 June 2021
16 - 19 June 2022
8 - 11 June 2023

2022 clashes with Le Mans and will surely thus be changed, 2023 is the week before. No more post-Le Mans dates.

The dates are co-ordinated with Rock Am Ring music festival and are all German national holidays I believe.

Excellent, I missed this info - thanks for that.
Old 23 Jun 2019, 17:37 (Ref:3913754)   #1859
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
It’s 23-24 May next year, which I personally think is the ideal weekend.

Even just watching the stream or at other times listening via RLM, I found it almost mesmerising.....
Old 23 Jun 2019, 17:51 (Ref:3913757)   #1860
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Even just watching the stream or at other times listening via RLM, I found it almost mesmerising.....
Imagine what it is like trackside!

Taking pictures along Hatzenbach last night I had a massive techno system behind me and monster GT3s roaring past about 20ft in front.

There is absolutely no track like Nürburgring in the world and no better atmosphere than the N24.

I think that for a first-timer it is even more overwhelming than Le Mans, but it rewards exploration and repeat visits like nowhere else. I’m already thinking ahead to next year (partly because I am bored waiting for a flight!) and wondering if I can walk an entire circuit.

I so strongly urge you to try this race. It can be done very cheaply and I will happily share all I have learned with anyone interested.
Old 23 Jun 2019, 19:54 (Ref:3913781)   #1861
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Watching on the inside of Schwalbenschwanz last night with a DJ playing house music over the other side of the track, fireworks up the hill and cars whizzing by; flipping magic. Less magic for the 1 car who clipped/got clipped a lapped car and went hard into the barrier. One of the bigger smashes I’ve seen live.

Then getting up to blues skies and seeing Laurens Vanthoor on a charge; flipping magic.

I love this event, the cars are brilliant, the variety is brilliant, the fans are brilliant (mostly) and the track is just fantastic. Love having the ability to ride a bike round, we watched multiple spots between below the Karussel right up to Hatzenbach at various points of the weekend. The whole race just feels special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 Jun 2019, 01:50 (Ref:3913818)   #1862
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

You will not seen a large amount of Astons, Bentley, Ferrari or McLaren. You may get 2-3 of each if you're REALLY lucky. And no the N24 should not be a Blancpain event. It should remain a stand-alone, kinda half VLN event.

Couldn’t agree more. It would never be included in Blancpain anyway. I couldn’t imagine the politics involved with that.

It’s a big national race. And to just focus on the GT3 cars is missing the point of the race and it’s history. Sure you have the fast cars up the pointy end but then you have a myriad of classes of everyone and everything else and that’s what makes the race great. It’s not just for the elite and the professionals it’s also for the amateur racers and teams with modified production cars.
Old 24 Jun 2019, 10:01 (Ref:3913893)   #1863
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Couldn’t agree more. It would never be included in Blancpain anyway. I couldn’t imagine the politics involved with that.

It’s a big national race. And to just focus on the GT3 cars is missing the point of the race and it’s history. Sure you have the fast cars up the pointy end but then you have a myriad of classes of everyone and everything else and that’s what makes the race great. It’s not just for the elite and the professionals it’s also for the amateur racers and teams with modified production cars.
Agreed - whilst the GT3 cars are mightily impressive the event wouldn't be what it is without the myriad of other cars. From the BMW running an engine they bought on ebay to the N24 legend that is the Foxtail Manta - there is plenty to enjoy outside the GT3 class.
Old 24 Jun 2019, 11:02 (Ref:3913901)   #1864
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
...the N24 legend that is the Foxtail Manta...
Memorably described by the RLM commentary as an automotive "Trigger's Broom" (look it up kids...).

Or, if you prefer more classical references, an example of the Theseus Paradox (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus).

TL;DR There's not much of the original car left in that Manta :-)
Old 24 Jun 2019, 11:07 (Ref:3913902)   #1865
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Memorably described by the RLM commentary as an automotive "Trigger's Broom" (look it up kids...).
Old 24 Jun 2019, 11:19 (Ref:3913904)   #1866
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Maybe the flappy bit on top?
Old 24 Jun 2019, 19:17 (Ref:3914004)   #1867
Silhuette
Racer

Silhuette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, so in hindsight I think that was a great race but what I remember best was Manthay not pushing for another lap. They got stung by that speeding penalty and fought hard and fair to the bitter end, and then had the decency to accept how the race turned out.

Manthay has (yet) another fan.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk
Old 24 Jun 2019, 20:23 (Ref:3914012)   #1868
ChrisB10
Rookie

ChrisB10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silhuette View Post
Ok, so in hindsight I think that was a great race but what I remember best was Manthay not pushing for another lap. They got stung by that speeding penalty and fought hard and fair to the bitter end, and then had the decency to accept how the race turned out.

Manthay has (yet) another fan.

Whilst it sounds very decent, I am not convinced that they purposefully stopped pushing. Had they managed to close the gap to 5s rather than being over 30s behind I doubt they would have conceded.

I'm no Audi fan, I wanted to see the 911 win, but Estre shot himself in the foot with that speeding mistake and if he didn't manage to make up the lost time then so be it, the Audi drivers fought hard but clean so earned the win.
However I still feel that, had Manthey had a sniff of the win, they would not have conceded. But Estre didn't manage to close the gap enough in his last stint, and that rather than the romantic idea of sportsmanship is the reason (in my view) why they stopped pushing so hard in the last lap.
Old 25 Jun 2019, 06:22 (Ref:3914058)   #1869
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Indeed. They weren't going to make up the gap unless the Audi had a problem so you might as well take the chequered flag 'early' and hope the Audi trips over a backmarker.

There was also a suggestion that the 911 had a puncture or other tyre issues.
Old 25 Jun 2019, 10:12 (Ref:3914080)   #1870
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB10 View Post
I wanted to see the 911 win, but Estre shot himself in the foot with that speeding mistake
There seems to have been some confusion, but most are now reporting it was Vanthoor and not Estre who made that mistake.
Old 25 Jun 2019, 11:04 (Ref:3914098)   #1871
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
Indeed. They weren't going to make up the gap unless the Audi had a problem so you might as well take the chequered flag 'early' and hope the Audi trips over a backmarker.
That’s how I read it. As the race runs for 24hrs exactly, and not 24hrs plus the first place car to cross the finish line, strategically it was better to slow and save yourself a lap- on which you could suffer a problem, lose places or not be classified....

Agree that the race has its own identity and doesn’t need to become part of a series, although a Bentley or Corvette entry would be nice, if only for the noise.... I think the whole atmosphere of the event was summed up by the standing ovation the repaired Manta received when going out at the end for a final lap. Respect from all the other teams....
Old 25 Jun 2019, 18:00 (Ref:3914172)   #1872
Silhuette
Racer

Silhuette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
There seems to have been some confusion, but most are now reporting it was Vanthoor and not Estre who made that mistake.
What, you're saying Vanthoor was caught at 172kph and Estre was penalized?

Manthay did everything they could to catch up with Vanthoor, but we should recognize that even though Estre pushed pretty hard the Audi was going just as fast within a few tenths. Pretty impressive given the comfortable lead.

Old 25 Jun 2019, 18:14 (Ref:3914173)   #1873
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silhuette View Post
What, you're saying Vanthoor was caught at 172kph and Estre was penalized?
It's the car which is penalised. So if the offence is committed by one driver but they change driver before the penalty is assessed, it has to be served by whoever is driving. It's the same in all multi-driver sportscar series I believe.
Old 26 Jun 2019, 08:36 (Ref:3914242)   #1874
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwh38/...57709251729106

First snaps from last weekend now loaded from Top Qualifying. For the first time, I ventured down the GP track and was surprised by the gradient and the tightness of the Ford Kurve which the TV doesn't show (just like at Monaco). Watched from Dunlop Kehre but somewhat compromised by a huge Hyundai marquee just where I wanted to take my photos from. Have to say, that even with the benefit of Hindy et al on commentary, it left me a little cold. I think that sort of stuff is probably better on TV unless you are the driver setting the time.

We'd watched the first WTCR race from the Mercedes Tribune and, for the first time this year at a motor race I have been at, the crowd cheered as they watched Rob Huff on the big screen come from nowhere to draft past the two guys battling ahead of him.

More photos will follow.
Old 26 Jun 2019, 11:27 (Ref:3914254)   #1875
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We’ve watched the TQ at Hatzenbach both times we’ve been and I love seeing them on a charge through there. Last year was particularly good. I reckon Wipperman would be a good spot for it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk