Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 15 Nov 2000, 07:13 (Ref:48398)   #1
crash
Rookie

crash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

As most of us here would know, F1 used mainly 1.5 litre turbocharged motors in between 1977 and 1987, instead of the 3.0 litre noramlly aspirated engines of today.

The power output in that time went from 700-1200+ horsepower (or so I think).

My question is, how much power could F1 teams of today squeeze out of 1.5 litre turbo engine, assuming boost limits are the same as they were in the turbo era.

I'm not sure If what i have said has made sense. Please correct me if i have said something incorrect!
Old 15 Nov 2000, 15:06 (Ref:48439)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would be an amazing thing to see for sure. I would imagine somewhere in the 1400 to 1800hp range would be attainale before the heat became too much to transfer away. I remember the 2.0 liter fours used by Nissan in their GTP cars for IMSA being able to produce around 1800hp for qualifying.
Old 15 Nov 2000, 18:05 (Ref:48464)   #3
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it all depends on what fuel you use. If you used the good old Toluene fuels I suspect that they could top 2000bhp no problem.

If "supercharging" was still allowed I feel that someone would have properly developed the comprex system that combines super and turbo supercharging. It combines the thermodynamic efficiency of turbo super charging and the drivability of regular supercharging.
Old 15 Nov 2000, 20:49 (Ref:48484)   #4
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In response to Tris, Someone has already solved the super/turbo charging problem in motorsport. THey are called Lancia and they did it in 1985 in the Lancia Delta S4. Various rallycross cars also used similar systems in the late eighties but with the old technology at the time the cars could never run right.
I think that modern electronics and data could eradicate most of the problems of turbo lag and engine detonation that the old turbo's used to have.
Imagine an F1 engine with anti-lag technology used by the majority of four wheel drive rally cars.
Old 15 Nov 2000, 21:26 (Ref:48489)   #5
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi chunder!

It is not the problems of turbo supercharging that comprex over comes... it is just a better system, full stop. If you want be to divulge I will.

It was developed for commercial vehicles in the mid 70's and Ferrari had a brief flirtation with it in 1981 until they went to KKK turbo super chargers. (It’s only appearance was at long Beach in ’81.) The problem was that it was not competitive from the off and Ferrari abandoned it too soon!

Old 15 Nov 2000, 21:26 (Ref:48490)   #6
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Subaru has used and may still use a different way to eliminate turbo-lag associated with large displacement turbos. They use a small electric drive motor to pre-spool the turbo so that it is always ready and on the compress.