Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > Predictions Competitions

Old 24 Feb 2007, 09:15 (Ref:1850381)   #1
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2007 Predictions Competition - Yes or no?

I've been giving this some thought recently............

If enough of you guys (and gals) are in favour, I'd like to put some sort of 'predictions' competition in place for 2007 based on all the ACO related Series and Le Mans (apart from JLMC). The format needs to be simple and easily administered, so please bear this in mind.

These are my initial thoughts:

The competition would cover all ALMS races, the LMS races and Le Mans.

1) Predict the car on pole at each race - 1 point for each class pole guessed correctly.

2) Predict the winner in each class - 3 points for each class winner guessed correctly.

3) Sebring and PLM double points, Le Mans triple points.

4) We could add a top three (in any order) prediction in each class for Sebring/PLM/Le Mans with 2 bonus points for each car correctly predicted to be amongst the top three.

5) We would have a number of winners covering various categories:
Pole, ALMS, LMS and Overall are definite categories which would have individual winners. Perhaps we should add some more (less serious) awards.

6) I will explore the possibility of having a few prizes, but as things stand, it would all be just for fun. I really don't want this to become too serious.

So, please post your thoughts on here with any suggestions you may have. Even if it's just a 'yes' or 'no' one word reply, it helps us to guage interest. If there's enough interest it's worth doing, if not, we'll just do Le Mans as we did last year.

Thanks!

Last edited by Bentley03; 24 Feb 2007 at 09:26.
Old 24 Feb 2007, 15:40 (Ref:1850586)   #2
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I'd play, but I think, that the system with just guessing the winners is to much of just hit or miss.

How about awarding points for the picked cars finishing position in the race, according to the FIA points scheme? (winner 10pts, 2nd 8pts...)
I know that would be a little more complicated, but esp. in LMS it will be so hard this year to pick single cars for the win.
Old 24 Feb 2007, 17:22 (Ref:1850628)   #3
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think that would be complicated awarding the cars for their position, it would become a mess and get very confusing.

im all for it so go ahead its a good idea, i would personally like to have a thing like the V8 supercars fantasy championship but with LM cars instead were you can make your own livery and all.

that would be good but bloody complicated to say the least.
Old 24 Feb 2007, 17:24 (Ref:1850629)   #4
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Im all for it, any predictions competition. One thing though, if its started please see it through to the finish! In recent years other forum members have started a predictions competition and failed to see it through to the finish, often not even posting the results.

How about a predictions competition for FIA GT too? It would certainly be a lot easier to play and run.
Old 26 Feb 2007, 17:13 (Ref:1852134)   #5
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Im up for it too .
Old 27 Feb 2007, 16:59 (Ref:1852992)   #6
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm up for it. You might take a look at Schummy's Moto GP competition in the Bikes forum. It's simple and fun and could be adapted for sportscars.
Old 28 Feb 2007, 01:42 (Ref:1853421)   #7
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
I will join in.
Old 28 Feb 2007, 09:34 (Ref:1853581)   #8
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I would suggest either going with Schummy's system or the more popular format here on ten-tenths of predicting the pole sitter for each class and then the top 3 for each class and perhaps the top 6 overall postitions. If you predict for example Zytek to come 2nd in LMP1 and they come 1st you get 1 point, if you guess the correct postition too though you get 2 points, there would also be 1 point available for guessing the fastest lap in each class and the class pole. Just a idea..
Old 28 Feb 2007, 11:01 (Ref:1853668)   #9
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Personally I would suggest either going with Schummy's system or the more popular format here on ten-tenths of predicting the pole sitter for each class and then the top 3 for each class and perhaps the top 6 overall postitions. If you predict for example Zytek to come 2nd in LMP1 and they come 1st you get 1 point, if you guess the correct postition too though you get 2 points, there would also be 1 point available for guessing the fastest lap in each class and the class pole. Just a idea..
I just don't have the time to operate a system with so many variables. The simplicity of my proposal makes it easy to administrate which is ultimately the determining factor as to whether or not we go ahead. I'm also very conscious of the small LMP1 and GT1 grids in the ALMS. The format of the competition must allow for this.

As you said yourself "....if its started please see it through to the finish!". And I agree with you absolutely, it's imperative that the competition is seen through to the end. I can assure you, if a different (and obviously better), but equally straightforward format is proposed, due consideration will certainly be given.
Old 28 Feb 2007, 18:32 (Ref:1853961)   #10
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
how about FIA points and everybody's scoring for him/herself?
Seriously, who is going to cheat in such a thing??
It's just for fun after all and if someone believes that someone else is cheating, he can still check if the score is correct! If someone's caught cheating he's out, anyway! (little miscalculations should be tollerated and corrected, though!)

alternatively we could make a competitor list and everyone scores his "neighbour" on the list. Delegate responsibilties! So we could also continue the competition even if our "game-master" Bentley03 got to busy with work or something else...
Old 28 Feb 2007, 19:20 (Ref:1854003)   #11
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
I just don't have the time to operate a system with so many variables. The simplicity of my proposal makes it easy to administrate which is ultimately the determining factor as to whether or not we go ahead. I'm also very conscious of the small LMP1 and GT1 grids in the ALMS. The format of the competition must allow for this.

As you said yourself "....if its started please see it through to the finish!". And I agree with you absolutely, it's imperative that the competition is seen through to the end. I can assure you, if a different (and obviously better), but equally straightforward format is proposed, due consideration will certainly be given.
The system we use in the bikes forum for Moto GP is pretty simple. The idea is to pick the winner of the race. You are allowed to select one to four riders. If you select one rider and he wins, you get four points. If you select two riders, and one wins, you get three points. If you select three riders and one wins you get two points, and if you select four riders and one wins, you get one point. Obviously, no matter how many you pick, if you don't pick the winner you get zero points. The number of riders picked is a risk and reward choice. Ten Tenths member Schummy gets the credit for this system.

This contest could easily be adapted to the sportscar forum. Chris, help me out if I have described it wrong.

I'd just keep it simple and include Sebring, the LMS races, Le Mans, Spa 24h, Petit and Laguna.

Last edited by jhansen; 28 Feb 2007 at 19:22.
Old 28 Feb 2007, 20:23 (Ref:1854054)   #12
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suggest we score like this:

1 Point for predicting most laps led
10 points for guessing average race speed to the nearest tennth
5 points for the first abandon
2 points for predicting each class winner
1 point for predicting 2nd through 10th place in each class
3 points for predicting overall top 3
5 points for predicting overall top 5
2 points for predicitng correcnt number of pit stops
2x multiplier for 24hrs Spa, Sebring, and PLM
5x multiplier for Le Mans

Bentley can you keep track of this for us?

Easier the better.
Old 28 Feb 2007, 20:27 (Ref:1854055)   #13
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
The system we use in the bikes forum for Moto GP is pretty simple. The idea is to pick the winner of the race. You are allowed to select one to four riders. If you select one rider and he wins, you get four points. If you select two riders, and one wins, you get three points. If you select three riders and one wins you get two points, and if you select four riders and one wins, you get one point. Obviously, no matter how many you pick, if you don't pick the winner you get zero points. The number of riders picked is a risk and reward choice. Ten Tenths member Schummy gets the credit for this system.

This contest could easily be adapted to the sportscar forum. Chris, help me out if I have described it wrong.

I'd just keep it simple and include Sebring, the LMS races, Le Mans, Spa 24h, Petit and Laguna.
I beleive you have it pretty much correct only that the scoring goes 4, 3, 2.5 and then 2 points if I remember correctly on the Moto GP competition, not 100% sure myself though Jeremy.
Old 28 Feb 2007, 20:36 (Ref:1854060)   #14
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype
I suggest we score like this:

1 Point for predicting most laps led
10 points for guessing average race speed to the nearest tennth
5 points for the first abandon
2 points for predicting each class winner
1 point for predicting 2nd through 10th place in each class
3 points for predicting overall top 3
5 points for predicting overall top 5
2 points for predicitng correcnt number of pit stops
2x multiplier for 24hrs Spa, Sebring, and PLM
5x multiplier for Le Mans

Bentley can you keep track of this for us?

Easier the better.
Too much work in my opinion...unless you are volunteering?
Old 28 Feb 2007, 20:39 (Ref:1854064)   #15
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to be in it too, but I'd like to just do LMES and LM24 because I don't follow ALMS as much.

Surely we can knock up a a spreadsheet that calculates all this stuff automatically. We'll make sure that everybody posts up their predictions in a copy-pasteable format! If I get some spare time at work I'll see what I can come up with.
Old 28 Feb 2007, 20:41 (Ref:1854067)   #16
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree jhansen, that system seems very complicated, and i dont know were you would find out were pit stops are counted.

here is how i think it should be

1 point for each pole time in each class

2 points for each winner in each class

1 point for the first retirement in each class

5 points for each pole time at sebring, PLM and spa 24 hours

10 points for each class winner at spa 24 hours, sebring, PLM

5 points for the first retirement in each class for PLM, spa 24 hours and sebring

10 points for each pole time at lemans

20 points for the winner of each class at lemans

good system, i think we should have a separate prediction for ALMS and LMS, and, then jumble them together for lemans as such.
Old 28 Feb 2007, 21:01 (Ref:1854075)   #17
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was joking everyone, I like Bentley's original idea.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 15:34 (Ref:1854665)   #18
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't want to put a "downer" on this thread as it gains momentum - but i won't have the time to participate, although I do like to have a punt on the usual LM pole & results threads each year.
Enjoy if it does go ahead though.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 16:04 (Ref:1854696)   #19
Nick49
Racer

England
Hampshire, UK
Nick49 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello

I've been giving this some thought and I suggest that as its seems to be the first year for sportscars why don't we keep it really simple and just do "Bentleys" first three points...........

1) Predict the car on pole at each race - 1 point for each class pole guessed correctly.

2) Predict the winner in each class - 3 points for each class winner guessed correctly.

3) Sebring and PLM double points, Le Mans triple points.

If its a success it could be expanded for the following years.

Nick
Old 3 Mar 2007, 09:42 (Ref:1856785)   #20
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
There is news and an announcement on the way, bear with us.........
Old 3 Mar 2007, 16:50 (Ref:1857242)   #21
jaysalv
Veteran

England
romford essex
jaysalv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can anyone join in quite fancy a go of this
Old 3 Mar 2007, 18:14 (Ref:1857278)   #22
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysalv
can anyone join in quite fancy a go of this
Absolutely, everyone's welcome!!

.......and shame on those who don't!
Old 3 Mar 2007, 18:46 (Ref:1857295)   #23
jaysalv
Veteran

England
romford essex
jaysalv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
let me know when you would like my predictions then and what the scoring is.. ive got my top three lmp1 for the lmes already
pesca,cherouz,peugeot
Old 3 Mar 2007, 23:02 (Ref:1857450)   #24
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Absolutely, everyone's welcome!!

.......and shame on those who don't!
ever watched al murrays happy hour?

SHAME ON YOU!!!, SHAME ON YOU!!! lol
Old 4 Mar 2007, 12:47 (Ref:1857906)   #25
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
So Mr.B ...... is it happening ?

Hope so , but I can imagine it being a pain sometimes . i used to run one at work , based on the Autosport F1 game where you got x amount of millionpoints to spend .
You had to pick from a list of drivers , test drivers , tyres , chassis and engines .

The prices were devided into how good the various items were , so to have a Ferreri-Ferrari engine with 2 top drivers and a test driver on michelin was ourside your budget .

But you did end up with some very interesting fictious teams for example .

Ypu might have had a Arrows chassis with a Toyota engine with Panis-Herbert and Monteiro on Michelin .

It was a pain in the arse sitting down every monday morning to work out the points , but I did it for about 3 years . Was always wondering what that format would work out like in sportscars ?

You could end up with a Audi R10 chassis with a Mader engine , Tinseau-Policand-Kane as drivers on Dunlop rubber .

Anyone remember the Autosport game ?

The rules came with the mag , and the various prices were fixed by the mag too , ive always thought what a pain it would be to have to fix those price groups yourself . Maybe could be done with a forum vote .

Hope you decide to run a compotition , i would enjoy it anyway . Thanks

Last edited by The Badger; 4 Mar 2007 at 12:50.