Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Oct 2021, 12:30 (Ref:4078426)   #5076
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Thanks Bob.... I got the Bugattis and the Astons ERA's and things but the Cognac Special I did not have a clue. Talbots I am getting better with as they feature a bit here. Im getting better at them all generally now though. Sandown Historics in a few weeks time so I will be making a point of looking closely at the early machinery then, camera in hand.
Ten hours ahead here so not bedtime yet, and I tend to be a night owl these days. Dont have dinner much before 10. Anyway I digress. Back to pictures. I'll dig out some F5000's for you
Oh and love the Maserati. (250F?)
Chris, re the Cognac Special, not sure when it was built or who built it but it uses a GN Chassis with an AC engine all ffrom the 1920's. I remember Ron Footitt winning many VSCC races in the 1970's.
Looking forward to seeing your F5000 pictures particularly the more unusal ones ie Begg and Matich. We do have a McRae GM entered at Silverstone this weekend.
20F's were great looking cars then and now.
Old 14 Oct 2021, 13:01 (Ref:4078428)   #5077
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What a great name for a car! Unfortunately though Cognac’s nomenclature has no direct link to the French appellation. It is an acronym composed from the maker’s name – Mr S. A. Cohen, the fact that it had a GN chassis and an AC engine. All together that gives CO-GN-AC!
The car dates from 1925 and has a 1991cc engine. It has been raced all its life, most notably by Ron Foottit. Now in the hands of Tony Lees.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0020.JPG  
Old 14 Oct 2021, 13:19 (Ref:4078429)   #5078
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Where were you spectating? We might have been rubbing shoulders?

I was at Copse.

Bottom end of the circuit between Stowe and Club. Don't remember too much about it as I wasn't feeling too good and we went to Silverstone on our way down to London to see my sister and then on to Dorset where I spent most of the holiday in hospital at Poole with pneumonia.
Old 14 Oct 2021, 18:56 (Ref:4078490)   #5079
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Now there’s a great spectating spot at Silverstone, whatever the era. Hope you got through the weekend alright and your illness didn’t get you too down
Old 14 Oct 2021, 21:35 (Ref:4078510)   #5080
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
What a great name for a car! Unfortunately though Cognac’s nomenclature has no direct link to the French appellation. It is an acronym composed from the maker’s name – Mr S. A. Cohen, the fact that it had a GN chassis and an AC engine. All together that gives CO-GN-AC!
The car dates from 1925 and has a 1991cc engine. It has been raced all its life, most notably by Ron Foottit. Now in the hands of Tony Lees.
Love the little leather armrests! A bit lacking in rollover protection, but at least a padded spot for your arms.... priorities!

Thanks Bob.... I now feel edumacated.
Great to see it has been used hard all its nigh on 100 year life

Last edited by E.B; 14 Oct 2021 at 21:50.
Old 15 Oct 2021, 06:41 (Ref:4078543)   #5081
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What does today bring?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1496.JPG   IMG_1498.JPG   IMG_1500.JPG  

IMG_1504.JPG   IMG_1512.JPG   IMG_1517.JPG  

Old 15 Oct 2021, 06:44 (Ref:4078544)   #5082
bauble
Veteran

England
These for one!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1609.JPG   IMG_1616.JPG   IMG_1618.JPG  

IMG_1619.JPG   IMG_1633.JPG   IMG_1637.JPG  

Old 15 Oct 2021, 07:07 (Ref:4078546)   #5083
bauble
Veteran

England
Did someone mention 1950's Ferraris? (Well they did race the original Lancia first.)
Attached Thumbnails
FGP 01.jpg   FGP 05.JPG   FGP 04.jpg  

FGP 02.JPG   FGP 06.JPG   FGP 07.jpg  

Old 15 Oct 2021, 08:02 (Ref:4078549)   #5084
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have always loved the D50 with the sidepods, be it called Lancia or Ferrari, dependant on year.
Old 15 Oct 2021, 09:38 (Ref:4078555)   #5085
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Did someone mention 1950's Ferraris? (Well they did race the original Lancia first.)
Do not think so Bob Vittorio designed it for Lancia and they used them in 54 & 55. Ferraari did enter some late in 55 but 6 was the 1st season as a Ferrari. Castelotti was one that was entered in a Ferrari D50 at Monza but he finished 3rd in a Ferrari 555.
Old 15 Oct 2021, 10:28 (Ref:4078557)   #5086
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Do not think so Bob Vittorio designed it for Lancia and they used them in 54 & 55. Ferraari did enter some late in 55 but 6 was the 1st season as a Ferrari. Castelotti was one that was entered in a Ferrari D50 at Monza but he finished 3rd in a Ferrari 555.
I was worried about you! I do not remember Ferrari actually racing a 'pure' Lancia, but had an idea they had, but happy to be put right, we would not want to lead EB astray
Old 15 Oct 2021, 10:34 (Ref:4078558)   #5087
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's ok, memories can play tricks on you. Definitely Ferrari took over the Lancias when the Lancia team pulled out
Old 15 Oct 2021, 12:21 (Ref:4078583)   #5088
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It's ok, memories can play tricks on you. Definitely Ferrari took over the Lancias when the Lancia team pulled out
Wasn't Enzo running the Lancia team before setting up on his own? I'm sure there have been 'catch you out' pictures in a quiz asking for the make of the racing car pictured (showing a Lancia with the Prancing Horse on the side)?
Old 15 Oct 2021, 13:37 (Ref:4078591)   #5089
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Wasn't Enzo running the Lancia team before setting up on his own? I'm sure there have been 'catch you out' pictures in a quiz asking for the make of the racing car pictured (showing a Lancia with the Prancing Horse on the side)?
I am pretty sure that Ferrari had nothing to do with Lancia prior to their collapse, I seem to remember that the Italian government had a hand in the take over.
At the time Ferrari tried a number of variations mixing engines and chassis to try and fine the best package.
Old 15 Oct 2021, 14:19 (Ref:4078597)   #5090
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
I am pretty sure that Ferrari had nothing to do with Lancia prior to their collapse, I seem to remember that the Italian government had a hand in the take over.
At the time Ferrari tried a number of variations mixing engines and chassis to try and fine the best package.
And Fiat had a hand in brokering the deal.

In 1955 AFAIK they were entered by Scuderia Lancia for all but the Italian race where they were entered as Lancia DS50s (with Lancia engines) but with Scuderia Ferrari as the entrant. I believe that is the first race they ran the DS50 with the Ferrari logo. Monza that year is also I think the first time they ran Englebert tyres.... Lancia ran them on Pirelli

Re the engines I have seen pics of them in 1955 with Lancia on the cam covers,
From the start of 1956 they were entered as Ferraris with Ferrari engines by Scuderia Ferrari.

And finally @Griff, I think you will find Vittorio Jano designed the D50 for Lancia.... he is also credited as the designer of the Ferrari D50. He moved to Ferrari from Lancia as part of the deal.

Edit, just re read Griff's post and realised I got confused at the "Bob Vittorio" as the designer knowing it was Jano. I then realised the Bob was actually 'our' Bob and the Vittorio..... I must admit I had never heard of a Bob Vittorio designer in F1!

Last edited by E.B; 15 Oct 2021 at 14:42. Reason: Explaining my momentary confusion
Old 15 Oct 2021, 14:56 (Ref:4078600)   #5091
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Forgot to add that in fact at Monza 1955 the Lancia D50's were withdrawn by Ferrari after qualifying due to tyre fears on the banking and they never actually started the race.
Old 16 Oct 2021, 08:13 (Ref:4078682)   #5092
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm down at the local sprint today and in among the usual modified road car hordes are some real gems

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 16 Oct 2021, 08:36 (Ref:4078683)   #5093
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I'm down at the local sprint today and in among the usual modified road car hordes are some real gems

So why did you not take pictures of the 'Gems'?
Old 16 Oct 2021, 08:56 (Ref:4078684)   #5094
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I put these up because they're are a thing of beauty not the odd things you insist on posting. The Osella is being driven by ex-F1 driver Mike Wilds.

Old 16 Oct 2021, 09:17 (Ref:4078685)   #5095
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
The Osella Abarth certainly is a thing of beauty Max..... An Osella PA2 from 1974 in the 2 litre European Sports Car Championship. Escuderia Montjuic had two PA2's one BMW powered and the other Osella. The Osella powered one was likely driven by Jorge de Bagration, a man of some wealth who competed in anything from motorcycles, rallying (Spanish Champion in the seventies) through to almost starting a couple of Spanish GP's. (He was/is on the entry list in 1968 and 1974, in a Lola and Surtees respectively, and I know 1974 was a paperwork bungle that made him a DNS).
Blah blah blah, a fabulous looking car. Bet it sounds sweet too.
Old 16 Oct 2021, 10:49 (Ref:4078687)   #5096
bauble
Veteran

England
A thing of beauty? That oddella looks as if an elephant sat on it. I know they say 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder', so I suppose you have very funny eyes.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_0294.JPG   _MG_0299.JPG   _MG_0312.JPG  

_MG_0331.JPG   _MG_0329.JPG   _MG_0341.JPG  

Old 16 Oct 2021, 10:55 (Ref:4078689)   #5097
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
A thing of beauty? That oddella looks as if an elephant sat on it. I know they say 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder', so I suppose you have very funny eyes.
Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes is what I was told.
Old 16 Oct 2021, 10:56 (Ref:4078690)   #5098
bauble
Veteran

England
I must apologise to all of our viewers for the gross invasion of this hallowed space by certain Philistines. To make amends I give you these treasures;
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_0421.JPG   _MG_0454.JPG   _MG_0430.JPG  

_MG_0465.JPG   _MG_0472.JPG   088.jpg  

Old 16 Oct 2021, 12:05 (Ref:4078706)   #5099
S griffin
Veteran

That's ok, we always appreciate your photos Baub. We all love the historics
Old 16 Oct 2021, 14:12 (Ref:4078721)   #5100
midgetman
Veteran

The Osella has Bagration on the side so that's the car.