Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Aug 2021, 16:32 (Ref:4065640)   #1
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dunlop historics

We run these on our Marcos 1800 and I am looking for views as to how often they need changing as they seem to show minimal wear (unless v hot)

Is there a bit performance drop off over time or can you run them until the tread wears substantially

All comments much appreciated
Old 8 Aug 2021, 14:25 (Ref:4065801)   #2
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used them on a Lotus Cortina for many years and found them hugely enjoyable to race on.
They don't have that much grip to start with but the grip doesn't decline greatly as they wear and they still have some grip when the tread has almost gone, provided the track is dry.
Old 11 Aug 2021, 10:08 (Ref:4066294)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I have a few old ones, possibly 10 years old now!!! they take a few laps to warm up but still work.

If you're ultra competitive then new ones are obviously going to be better, and some get through sets per meeting! but for a part time racer, working class lad, one has to cut ones coat to suit the cloth.

I've never gone as far as the canvas, but have seen a few there before!
Old 12 Aug 2021, 11:39 (Ref:4066408)   #4
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the comments - as we tend to race more at the socially distanced end of the grid, I will keep using the tyres till they show serious wear
Old 12 Aug 2021, 14:08 (Ref:4066426)   #5
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure I wholly agree with the above comments

I drive two cars, both are about 1000kg inc fuel and driver, both 400 ish bhp.

The tyres most certainly go off before they are worn out. The difference is staggering in terms of the feel of the car. I have the tyres shaved and scrub in carefully. I am told that peak performance goes away after about 6 heat cycles. I can normally get a bit more than this but certainly over 10-12 heat cycles they are well past there best and the cars are not only slower, but also much less enjoyable to drive.

I have bought a shore rubber hardness tester from ebay for 20 quid. It works! You can measure the tyres and sure enough they do start to get harder

The only up side is there is a market for some tyre sizes that are part worn. I just sold a pair for £200
Old 12 Aug 2021, 19:18 (Ref:4066474)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Valid point GO . . . . Very car dependant, @ 730kg and 145 bhp the rears last ages . . . Years even! Fronts shred faster, but again it depends on circuit . . . . I took my old ******* tyres to Lydden last year knowing they were going in the bin . . . . I wouldn't waste new tyres there if I was sponsored by Dunlop!
Old 12 Aug 2021, 20:16 (Ref:4066479)   #7
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I should add I have a half share in the TR4. We have a set of tyres on that which have done at least two Spa 6 hours.....and there is plenty of life left in them still
Old 13 Aug 2021, 11:16 (Ref:4066548)   #8
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I need a new set of boots for my car . . . . they now cost more for a set of 4 than I paid for the car!!!
Old 19 Aug 2021, 18:36 (Ref:4067868)   #9
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
May be Max can tell about some products you can spray on the tires to resuscitate them. It smells like sh*t and may be worse and are not allowed in some categories.
Those Dunlops were mandatory for our championship but after a six hour race nobody asked to buy them! They dont appreciate the brake locks…
Old 19 Aug 2021, 18:48 (Ref:4067872)   #10
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
You can even find some crazy "solutions" typing tires soften treatment on the net. I dont recommend of course…
Old 19 Aug 2021, 19:49 (Ref:4067922)   #11
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There are certain classes in karting who allow softener. In MSUK racing it's strictly verboten so I couldn't possibly advise.

PM me and I can put you in touch with suitable people.

M

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk