Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Mar 2022, 21:11 (Ref:4102496)   #1
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
SHOCK! LEWIS HAMILTON GONE FROM F1!!! (confirmed)

It has been confirmed that Lewis Hamilton will only compete in the first few rounds of 2022!!!!

Lewis Hamilton will change his name to honour his mother Carmen Larbalestier, he revealed as he prepares to challenge for a record eighth world title.

The 37-year-old said he would add his mother’s surname to his — most likely racing as Lewis Hamilton-Larbalestier — in a move that would take place “soon”.

" I really want her name to continue on with the Hamilton name" Lewis said

Hamilton said he was “working on” the name change but that it would not take effect for this week’s season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/motors...2f89ef9bb58afa

(yeh ima stirrer)
Old 14 Mar 2022, 21:26 (Ref:4102501)   #2
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The only person to who can stop Lewis Hamilton from getting his eighth WDC is apparently Lewis Hamilton.

I appreciate what he is trying to do. I do think in the end it may generate more negativity than good.

Richard
Old 14 Mar 2022, 21:34 (Ref:4102502)   #3
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I do think in the end it may generate more negativity than good.
There are plenty of people who find something to criticise in everthing he does.
He could literally cure world hunger and end all wars and some would say 'he's just doing it for attention and to stick to driving'.
Old 14 Mar 2022, 21:38 (Ref:4102503)   #4
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
There are plenty of people who find something to criticise in everthing he does.
He could literally cure world hunger and end all wars and some would say 'he's just doing it for attention and to stick to driving'.
Agree. And that is my point. But he is pulling his mother into the drama. It's a noble move, but it will just be fodder for the critics. And I am not being critical, just pointing out where this is likely to go. Apologies for pointing out the negatives.

Richard
Old 14 Mar 2022, 21:40 (Ref:4102504)   #5
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
And thus confirming Lewis Hamilton will never have more titles than Michael Schumacher.
Old 14 Mar 2022, 22:03 (Ref:4102508)   #6
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
But he is pulling his mother into the drama. It's a noble move, but it will just be fodder for the critics. And I am not being critical...
But you are, if you frame this as "pulling his mother into the drama".
Old 14 Mar 2022, 22:31 (Ref:4102517)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Sorry but I think some might be missing Richard's point.

Also I really do think people have every right to their opinion about whoever or whatever as long as it is done in an inoffensive way or is not distasteful and is relavant to a given post.
Old 14 Mar 2022, 23:16 (Ref:4102521)   #8
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
But you are, if you frame this as "pulling his mother into the drama".
To be fair, yes you are right. But see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Sorry but I think some might be missing Richard's point.

Also I really do think people have every right to their opinion about whoever or whatever as long as it is done in an inoffensive way or is not distasteful and is relavant to a given post.
Thanks. Yes, that is it. I will add that given how polarized topics such as Lewis, Max, Toto, Christian, Masi, and any number of others, it's hard to be critical without being labeled a "hater" at worst (Anyopenroad, I am not saying you are saying this, but making a broader observation) or at best viewed as trying to wind other up.

Richard
Old 15 Mar 2022, 01:41 (Ref:4102527)   #9
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
honestly cant think of another athlete amending their name to pay homage to their mom.

not as cool as changing your name to a symbol but worthy of much more respect.
Old 15 Mar 2022, 01:43 (Ref:4102528)   #10
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Anyone is entitled to change their name (unless for criminal deception)
This is a personal thing to for him to mark his mother and her family in his story.
And he wants any kids to be part of that. I can dig that im 50% my mothers family heritage and 50% the milkman.. oops sorry im 50% my dads family.

This is not "making a statement" or "entering into a drama" not everything he does is for show. Its hi respecting his mum coz she is in his heart. Its very sweet and personal of him, for him, by him.

Basically nobody elses business, if he had of done it before he was famous nobody would have known or cared
Old 15 Mar 2022, 04:17 (Ref:4102539)   #11
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Old 15 Mar 2022, 04:35 (Ref:4102542)   #12
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Thanks. Yes, that is it. I will add that given how polarized topics such as Lewis, Max, Toto, Christian, Masi, and any number of others, it's hard to be critical without being labeled a "hater" at worst (Anyopenroad, I am not saying you are saying this, but making a broader observation) or at best viewed as trying to wind other up.

Richard
Agree, it is really disappointing that some people treat every comment as hate speech and wind themselves up into a rabid fury over the mildest query.
Old 15 Mar 2022, 06:26 (Ref:4102544)   #13
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
I’m struggling to find the rabid fury in my comment to Richard. I get his point, which is characterstically thoughtful and nuanced. Nonetheless it is an example of how the weirdly extreme reactions to anything Hamilton does are framed in terms of his actions rather than the choices made by the mob who go for him on social media.
Old 15 Mar 2022, 07:14 (Ref:4102549)   #14
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I may be missing something here (and I'm sure it's probably just a stretch of the truth for the sake of a thread title) - but the reports I have read suggest that he is still going to be Lewis Hamilton.

I mean - I can't recall commentators and TV graphics listing him as 'Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton' previously, and I'm sure they won't start listing him as 'Lewis Carl Davidson Larbalestier Hamilton'.

'The 37-year-old Briton will include 'Larbalestier' as a middle name rather than adding it to his surname.

"I am really proud of my family's name. My mum's name is Larbalestier and I'm just about to put that in my name," said Hamilton.'
Old 15 Mar 2022, 09:57 (Ref:4102565)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
not as cool as changing your name to a symbol but worthy of much more respect.
Is that actually 'cool'? If so, why? It doesn't make you a bit of a prat then?
Old 15 Mar 2022, 10:39 (Ref:4102567)   #16
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just imagine, someone involved in sport changing their name. How controversial! What did all those people who got married and adopted a new moniker think they were doing?

Laura Trott -> Laura Kenny
Jessica Ennis -> Jessica Ennis-Hill
Suzie Stoddart -> Suzie Wolff (to keep an F1 angle on things!)

...to name but three British examples.

There are far more important things to get exercised about, really.
Old 15 Mar 2022, 12:49 (Ref:4102579)   #17
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
And the most Clickbaity Title Thread in the history of 10 Tenths goes to......

I know the off season is long, but are we really reduced to discussing this?

Me thinks the Aussie contingent have either been drinking too much Fosters of late or have insomnia
Old 15 Mar 2022, 13:54 (Ref:4102583)   #18
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Exactly that. This is a story and open thread why? Other than to fire up the anti-Lewis contingent over a nothing.
Old 15 Mar 2022, 14:23 (Ref:4102589)   #19
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's Ten Tenths Jim, but not as we knew it.
Old 15 Mar 2022, 14:40 (Ref:4102600)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post

Me thinks the Aussie contingent have either been drinking too much Fosters of late or have insomnia
I guess there has to be away to deflect attention away from Danny Ric......
Old 15 Mar 2022, 14:47 (Ref:4102605)   #21
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I guess there has to be away to deflect attention away from Danny Ric......
Pfff Just be glad that Ferdinand Habsburg never made it into F1........

....or rather

Ferdinand Zvonimir Maria Balthus Keith Michael Otto Antal Bahnam Leonhard von Habsburg-Lothringen

As hes known to his family
Old 15 Mar 2022, 14:50 (Ref:4102606)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
My lad just called him Ferdy at APR......
Old 15 Mar 2022, 14:54 (Ref:4102608)   #23
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Is that actually 'cool'? If so, why? It doesn't make you a bit of a prat then?
no doubt it is an usual thing to do that can come across as pretentious.

i suppose i like that it can also be a non conformist, anti establishment, and/or creative form of expression.

as we move towards more and more online communications, forums, gamer tags, email names etc i think we all already tacitly support the idea that made up names, symbols, images can all effectively be representations of ourselves and our interests.

probably means we are all prats now...so strength in numbers i guess!
Old 15 Mar 2022, 14:57 (Ref:4102609)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I suppose those of us who use 'devices' as forum names are just as guilty, but using a symbol seems seriously prattish to me..... Prince always comes to mind when I think of pretentious symbols.....
Old 15 Mar 2022, 15:24 (Ref:4102616)   #25
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
I suppose those of us who use 'devices' as forum names are just as guilty, but using a symbol seems seriously prattish to me..... Prince always comes to mind when I think of pretentious symbols.....
his change was apparently inspired by issues he was having with his record label who had trademarked his name. he never bothered to explain this to anyone at the time and the (possibly false but maybe true) narrative that he was an absolute loon filled its place.

another musician, Grimes recently changed her legal name Claire to 'c' as the symbol for the speed of light. her son with Elon Musk has a far more unique name comprised of numbers and symbols perhaps to protect his identity or just because they wanted to be different. both her and Musk are considered out there individuals.

in the sporting world Cassius Clay dropping his last name and temporarily replacing it with the mathematic symbol 'X' for the unknown massively divided people during those far more contentious times.

for sure it doesnt help that when we see it happen it is usually being done by celebrities who typically inspired controversy well before they changed their names.