Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Nov 2020, 22:36 (Ref:4016715)   #126
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I see the battery indicator shows much more than 3%, did you meet an electric squirrel en route?

No Gerard, but I did meet a pure white deer in the darkness, probably accounts for one of the rapid u-turns The pic of the phone was taken some days later (only way I could work out how to get a screen shot) once we had both recovered.
Old 15 Nov 2020, 10:29 (Ref:4016837)   #127
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Fine Colin, very nice spaghetti style travel. May be you can have it tattooed on your back, Ă* la façon de Prison Break! In this case dont forget it will be inverted in a mirror…*
Old 15 Nov 2020, 13:10 (Ref:4016913)   #128
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
No Gerard, but I did meet a pure white deer in the darkness, probably accounts for one of the rapid u-turns The pic of the phone was taken some days later (only way I could work out how to get a screen shot) once we had both recovered.
You should never trust GPS to provide an accurate trace Colin.

I'm sure you really managed to go directly to the route you needed and were home in minutes. That the GPS trace is erratic is simply a technical glitch. Probably Elon's fault.
Old 15 Nov 2020, 13:17 (Ref:4016921)   #129
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper View Post
I was just adapting. Tomorrow I will McLarenise the appearance of my gorgeous French lady

I think the rear tyre being set to "Cobbled road" pressure is a good idea.
Old 15 Nov 2020, 18:38 (Ref:4017019)   #130
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I think the rear tyre being set to "Cobbled road" pressure is a good idea.
Specially when you're tracked by an alien, good send him on a wrong track. Brilliant idea…
Old 15 Nov 2020, 20:35 (Ref:4017084)   #131
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Still struggling to bend my knee, thought it was ok. Hoping it'll be sorted soon.
Besides your "can't get my foot off quick enough" moment, how are the cleats coming on Peter? Have you got the hang of pulling on the upstroke yet?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 15 Nov 2020, 21:05 (Ref:4017090)   #132
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yup pulling up is fine.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 17:53 (Ref:4017303)   #133
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I never really realised how effective it was until on the turbo over the weekend. Just pushing down I could hear the wheel going "whoosh, whoosh", by pulling as well there was a constant "whirrrrrrrrrr".

I have to admit sound effects don't work in print

Old 16 Nov 2020, 20:07 (Ref:4017321)   #134
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Well I got wet . Very wet tonight . In fact that rounds my day off . TIG welder broke this morning . Managed to burn out ignition system on a car and got soaked coming home . Never mind tomorrow is another day .👍
Old 16 Nov 2020, 20:13 (Ref:4017322)   #135
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Well I got wet . Very wet tonight . In fact that rounds my day off . TIG welder broke this morning . Managed to burn out ignition system on a car and got soaked coming home . Never mind tomorrow is another day .👍
Happy Days.
Old 22 Nov 2020, 17:52 (Ref:4018313)   #136
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thought I should get this thread back onto front page. I finally went out on my Bianchi " supplied by Cirrus Cycles " today and also first time using cling on pedals. Having been worried by some of the comments on here about using them I found it was like a duck to water experience.Me and Stewart left Reading around 8.30 this morning and headed out to Virginia Water.Weather was not good very foggy and damp. By the time we got to the other side of Ascot the sun had broken through. We then went through Windsor Great Park along to Windsor and had a cup of chocolate down by the river.We had a race back home with Master Stewart winning as he took a short cut. Have to say the bike was superb in every aspect so thank you Alan Morgan.
Anyone else out today ?
Old 22 Nov 2020, 18:02 (Ref:4018315)   #137
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The cleats definitely make the ride better but I just can't unclip unless I'm leaning against something. Don't know why and I've slackened off the tension on the pedals.
Old 22 Nov 2020, 18:25 (Ref:4018319)   #138
midgetman
Veteran

I had a fixing screw fall out of a cleat once. Stuck on the bike as I toppled gracefully over - thankfully the other foot came away just on time

Old 22 Nov 2020, 22:12 (Ref:4018337)   #139
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Are shoe plates still used by those not converted to cleats yet?
Old 23 Nov 2020, 08:31 (Ref:4018366)   #140
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Thought I should get this thread back onto front page. I finally went out on my Bianchi " supplied by Cirrus Cycles " today and also first time using cling on pedals. Having been worried by some of the comments on here about using them I found it was like a duck to water experience.Me and Stewart left Reading around 8.30 this morning and headed out to Virginia Water.Weather was not good very foggy and damp. By the time we got to the other side of Ascot the sun had broken through. We then went through Windsor Great Park along to Windsor and had a cup of chocolate down by the river.We had a race back home with Master Stewart winning as he took a short cut. Have to say the bike was superb in every aspect so thank you Alan Morgan.
Anyone else out today ?
Did about 50km yesterday. Loads of cyclists at Cinnamon Cafe in Windsor. Just got to average 19km a day between now and the end of December to hit my target of 8047km (5000 miles) for the year.
Old 23 Nov 2020, 09:42 (Ref:4018368)   #141
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
How do you feel after doing that length? Seems like you chose a popular cycle route if you saw that many cyclists about. Keep going mate, no reason you won't hit your target, just make sure you find the right time of day to cover the 19km each day
Old 23 Nov 2020, 11:38 (Ref:4018388)   #142
Alan Morgan
Veteran

50km is not difficult once you've got used to it, providing there are no horrendous hills. 100km is more demanding - the club I belong to has a 100K challenge (suspended during lockdown) where you have to do at least one 100k ride per month.

In fairness, I've included km I've ridden on the smart trainer - it's possible to ride all sorts of famous routes by video with all the hills simulated. The only problem is you can't freewheel downhill!
Old 23 Nov 2020, 11:42 (Ref:4018389)   #143
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
50km is not difficult once you've got used to it, providing there are no horrendous hills. 100km is more demanding - the club I belong to has a 100K challenge (suspended during lockdown) where you have to do at least one 100k ride per month.

In fairness, I've included km I've ridden on the smart trainer - it's possible to ride all sorts of famous routes by video with all the hills simulated. The only problem is you can't freewheel downhill!
One day I'll show you my medals for some proper hardman stuff.
February, 90 MILES on Saturday, and 100 MILES on Sunday around the Chiltern Hills. We was proper cyclists back then.

Biker Bob.
Old 23 Nov 2020, 14:08 (Ref:4018404)   #144
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
One day I'll show you my medals for some proper hardman stuff.
February, 90 MILES on Saturday, and 100 MILES on Sunday around the Chiltern Hills. We was proper cyclists back then.

Biker Bob.
Fortunately Bob, for us young 'uns (I'm only just a Senior Citizen) they have now invented cars..... wonderful things that take all the hard work out of going places.
Old 23 Nov 2020, 20:17 (Ref:4018450)   #145
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s probably just as well. Cars are pretty much a necessity now. But we knew that anyway
Old 24 Nov 2020, 08:26 (Ref:4018478)   #146
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
The cleats definitely make the ride better but I just can't unclip unless I'm leaning against something. Don't know why and I've slackened off the tension on the pedals.
Peter, what cleats do you use? One of the easiest to use are Shimano mountain bike type or Look pedals as with a twist of your ankle you can just uncleat. Also check the back of them, there is usually a screw to adjust how hard you are fixed to the pedals.
Old 24 Nov 2020, 08:31 (Ref:4018479)   #147
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
Peter, what cleats do you use? One of the easiest to use are Shimano mountain bike type or Look pedals as with a twist of your ankle you can just uncleat. Also check the back of them, there is usually a screw to adjust how hard you are fixed to the pedals.
Yes, I'm using Shimano SPD Cleats and pedals and I've loosened the screw. I'll just have to concentrate.
Old 24 Nov 2020, 09:00 (Ref:4018486)   #148
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Are you sure you're not using SPD-SL cleats Peter? The bike I lent you for Mike's bike ride had SPD pedals and your cleats didn't fit. SPD cleats are a lot smaller and are recessed into the sole of the shoe.
Old 24 Nov 2020, 09:05 (Ref:4018488)   #149
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
These are they. https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-r55...sl-road-pedals
Old 24 Nov 2020, 09:36 (Ref:4018490)   #150
Alan Morgan
Veteran

These are the type of pedals Louis is talking about

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m520-pedals

They also have the benefit of being double sided, making clipping in easier as well. Unfortunately, the relevant cleats have 2 bolts, meaning most standard road shoes aren't suitable.