Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 22 Jul 2003, 20:28 (Ref:668763)   #26
kevf
Rookie

kevf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a bad place to start whats your local track...
thruxton maybe get in touch with them and ask if you can come along you don't need all the gear to start but a good pair of gloves (welders ideal) and some strong boots and clothees you don't mind getting mucky will do to start..
Old 23 Jul 2003, 08:01 (Ref:669108)   #27
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Ian Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[
The biggest thing is to try to make sure people have a good time. As long as that is happening, the rest sort of takes care of itself. However, working out how that happens is not always an easy thing to do!

QUOTE]

Dear EP-Taken on board!!
Thanks to this thread
We have a new marshal starting on Saturday.
Yipee!!
Only another 80 to go!!

He will have a good time
Ian

Old 23 Jul 2003, 08:36 (Ref:669130)   #28
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
don't celebrate too quickly if it's garcon.......
Old 23 Jul 2003, 09:28 (Ref:669166)   #29
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old 23 Jul 2003, 09:35 (Ref:669171)   #30
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Awww poor baby - you've been maligned! I'm sure you'll do fine and it's not addictive at all or bad for your health. Ignore all those government health warnings....
Old 23 Jul 2003, 09:38 (Ref:669174)   #31
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've just read the timetable in the other thread.

Xr2s/XR3s! I guess we're gonna be busy, then!
Old 23 Jul 2003, 11:20 (Ref:669294)   #32
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quoted by Spudgun:

Quote:
I've been thinking trying to become a marshal for a while now. How do you go about it?
It looks like Thruxton may be your nearest circuit, so you could try the BARC as they are based there. Also, you can marshal through the BARC without actually joining them. I'm not sure if this is the case with other clubs.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 12:59 (Ref:669375)   #33
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is there a lower age limit for becoming a marshall?
Old 23 Jul 2003, 14:07 (Ref:669430)   #34
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Quote:
Originally posted by Cynic
Quoted by Spudgun:

It looks like Thruxton may be your nearest circuit, so you could try the BARC as they are based there. Also, you can marshal through the BARC without actually joining them. I'm not sure if this is the case with other clubs.
I will take advice on this as it may be easier to join the B.M.M.C . From here you can grade up and be insured!!

Ian
Old 23 Jul 2003, 14:14 (Ref:669435)   #35
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
Is there a lower age limit for becoming a marshall?
You can safely marshal trackside at 18.
If you arrive with a indemnity from your parents you can marshal tracksude at 16

There are younger marshals who run the paddock area
but I do not know what age they have to be to start.
Someone said it was Nine but I will take advice on this.

Regards
Ian
Old 23 Jul 2003, 14:16 (Ref:669439)   #36
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Hi Guys and Girls,

I will be offline for a couple of days so If you have any questions I'm sure someone will help out.

Cheers
Ian
Old 24 Jul 2003, 19:24 (Ref:670533)   #37
John Francis
Rookie

John Francis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Sorry Ian, on Saturday we are off to Loton Park charity day with the Coco Mobile, we are going to have a go at the hill with the 2CV!

We may not get the fastest time of the day, but it should be a good laugh!

Very saddened to hear numbers are so low, can't we get the motor clubs to give us a one page advert in every event programme? At the end of the day, if we run out of marshals then its thier meetings that will suffer.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 19:33 (Ref:670539)   #38
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Good point John!
I'm obviously back in the country now-Just nipped over to the Czech Republic for a meeting.
Drinking Bud at 22p a pint!! Nearly didn't come back!
Good luck for the hillclimb. Remember to put some new flints in the engine.

Ian
Old 24 Jul 2003, 19:37 (Ref:670543)   #39
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd suggest somebody gets in touch with Autosport and ask them to highlight the potential "crisis" if that isn't too strong a word. Maybe one of their hacks, oops sorry I meant writers could spend a day, from sign in to going home, with a team..run in conjunction with lots of contact info and tips on getting started? (or maybe one of us/you could provide a freelance piece hmmmmmm)
Maybe existing marshals could contact their local rag and speak to sports editor..maybe accompanied with an exciting picture of marshals at work...leaving contact details and the offer to bring potential recruits to try their hand out?
Old 25 Jul 2003, 08:41 (Ref:670903)   #40
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by John Francis
Sorry Ian, on Saturday we are off to Loton Park charity day with the Coco Mobile, we are going to have a go at the hill with the 2CV!

We may not get the fastest time of the day, but it should be a good laugh!
Is that the Coco mobile or Warwick/John's 2cv?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Hey Ian we'll be there and we'll being looking out for garcon and any other nonregulars.

PS Derek should have his book(s) with him - only a 1,000 to sell.

Last edited by KayBee; 25 Jul 2003 at 08:44.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 12:37 (Ref:671060)   #41
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I'd suggest somebody gets in touch with Autosport and ask them to highlight the potential "crisis" if that isn't too strong a word. Maybe one of their hacks, oops sorry I meant writers could spend a day, from sign in to going home
One of the BMMC's Vice presidents is actually an Autosports employee......!!! Hmmmm!!

Quote:
[i]
Maybe existing marshals could contact their local rag and speak to sports editor..maybe accompanied with an exciting picture of marshals at work...leaving contact details and the offer to bring potential recruits to try their hand out? [/B]
Needs to go through the proper channels!!
Old 25 Jul 2003, 16:11 (Ref:671235)   #42
flying muppet
Veteran

England
Deepest Shropshire
flying muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And I thought 'Observer' had retired from this forum! Obviously couldn't stay away!
Old 25 Jul 2003, 16:58 (Ref:671272)   #43
Scallywag
Rookie

Scallywag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
[i]
PS Derek should have his book(s) with him - only a 1,000 to sell. [/B]
Has someone written a book?
Old 26 Jul 2003, 08:41 (Ref:671714)   #44
pinki
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent, England
pinki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'd suggest somebody gets in touch with Autosport and ask them to highlight the potential "crisis" if that isn't too strong a word. Maybe one of their hacks, oops sorry I meant writers could spend a day, from sign in to going home, with a team..run in conjunction with lots of contact info and tips on getting started? (or maybe one of us/you could provide a freelance piece hmmmmmm)
Maybe existing marshals could contact their local rag and speak to sports editor..maybe accompanied with an exciting picture of marshals at work...leaving contact details and the offer to bring potential recruits to try their hand out?
It's been tried before by many people, myself included, I've even written to VBH when she was still doing Top Gear. It seems that nobody apart from the marshals themselves are concerned about dropping numbers and that includes the organising clubs or something would have been done by now.

I made the decision three weeks ago to take a break from the bank, I'm going to give it until the end of the season and then see how I feel then but at this moment in time I just haven't got any enthusiasm for it
Old 27 Jul 2003, 00:51 (Ref:672250)   #45
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pinki, I decided to take a break from marshalling for a year, and to be honest I have not missed it. I still get Autosport and Motoring News so am fairly upto date on motorsport matters and I read this forum on a regular basis, but as far as standing out on the bank and in the pitlane go I have not missed it one bit, and will be surprised if I do return.
Old 27 Jul 2003, 08:02 (Ref:672365)   #46
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mark_l
Mark, I too decided to take a break from marshalling for "dunno yet", and to be honest I have not missed it. I read this forum on a regular basis, but as far as standing out on the bank and in the pitlane go I have not missed it one bit, and will be surprised if I do return.
Mark, I've edited your quote as it seemed a lot easier than writing it all out again!! Maybe we might even have to start a new group within ten-tenths,

The I've packed-in/had enough of/got sick of/taken a break from (delete as applicable) Marshalling Group.

By the looks of thing so far, we could have quite a number of members.
Old 27 Jul 2003, 20:30 (Ref:672650)   #47
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cancled going to DTM,s at Donno to spend 3 days with St John at Brands for WSB,s. Us and all the Racesafe marshals recieved each day A voucher for free brekkies and a free lunch. I do not know what else the marshals got. (they also get there overalls and I believe waterproofs supplied.)
Having seen the numbers on post around us and the fact the circuit was busier than any TOCA or Champ car meeting there and this was at 06:30 Paddock viewing area was 3 deep all the way at this time. I see why spectators are drawn to this . The racing was very good as well. Car Clubs/ serieses/ packages please go to a mirror take a good hard look in it and see what you can chage to improve the whole thing. WSB seem to have it right on all sides. the 4 wheel world just seem to not give a S**T at all to anyone.
As I do not do the GP anymore do you all get provided with 2 free meals each day?.
Before I am shot down again I love this sport and devote a very large amount of time to it and do not expect any rewards, But appreciation and the odd thing go a long way. Congrats to Mercedes at the DTM for making a decent effort to us marshals.
RS
Old 28 Jul 2003, 06:44 (Ref:672961)   #48
PaulPerkins
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester, UK
PaulPerkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
Oulton's fairly local for me and I don't have much on this weekend, so if you're allowed to put a complete and utter novice in an orange suit, I could be persuaded!
Good to see you on Saturday, Garcon, and congratulations on your first day as a new marshal!

Well, I hope the day gave you a good intro into the world of marshalling, although please don't think it's like that all the time (For those that were not there, the post Garcon was at had a red-flagged, three car incident with one car on it's roof half way up Clay Hill!! Plus the racing was as expected from the XRs!)

So, do you think you'll be persuaded to pull on some Oranges in the future?
Old 28 Jul 2003, 06:56 (Ref:672966)   #49
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
How did the DTM treat you guys/gals? Over the tannoy it seemed to be suggested they threw a party for you on Saturday night!
Old 28 Jul 2003, 07:23 (Ref:672989)   #50
woody148uk
Rookie

woody148uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good start from him paul
i was on fosters and we heard the bang there
has u can say his day went with a bang
glad to here the drivers are ok
i did the new era meeting at oulton the other saturday
which was the cheshire marshals and they supplied free breakfast to all aswell
not bad for a small club