Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Jul 2008, 19:17 (Ref:2254042)   #1
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW M1 Procar Series Returns - Niki Lauda Wins !

Sorry if this thread is a duplicate or in the wrong place, i wasn't sure where to put it. Feel free to move if neccesary.

Anyway this awesome series that used to support Grand Prix's returned as a one off special at Hockenheim. These cars look absolutely awesome, and it would be good to see them or something similar (like that speedcar series) supporting Grand Prix's. Danner and Klien are the other drivers i am aware of who took part, not sure who else, i can't find much about it online. I think theres a second race tomorrow, anyone know if theres any tv coverage ?

Little bit more about it here:

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/69269

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 19 Jul 2008, 19:24 (Ref:2254047)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Lauda wins. Class remains class, no matter what, it would seem.
Old 19 Jul 2008, 19:28 (Ref:2254051)   #3
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Theres an ad at the top of the page

links to BMW Sauber.

there isn't much there though

Last edited by mattt; 19 Jul 2008 at 19:30.
Old 19 Jul 2008, 22:14 (Ref:2254139)   #4
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
I ran a 'retrospective'story on speedhunters.com earlier in the week on the M1. Found some cool pics on the BMW media site.

I'll post some more pics up from the races, but it wont be until Monday.
Old 20 Jul 2008, 01:35 (Ref:2254194)   #5
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
if anyone finds out who was in which car, post it here. Strangely the BMW site doesnt carry this basic info!
Old 20 Jul 2008, 08:12 (Ref:2254315)   #6
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, it is great to see the fast little Austrian back behind the wheel, I am sure that his commentatorrole at the German RTL broadcaaster, did not miss any of it - three time worldchampion

Seriously, I am also sad to discover the total lack of coverage, of this magnificient event. Those M1 Procar racers are really good stuff for the crowd, and I am sure the old hands are happy to be back in that firebreathing M1

Please feel free to upload any information or pictures, guy
Old 20 Jul 2008, 10:54 (Ref:2254389)   #7
Sarthe82
Racer

United Kingdom
Surrey
Sarthe82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was privileged to watch the M1 Procar series twice in period....at Monaco and Brands GP circuit!
Old 20 Jul 2008, 11:12 (Ref:2254395)   #8
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Here is a bit of info

"Television commentator Christian Danner was scuffling with Lauda at the front of the field - "But in the end I deferred to the World Champion," joked the ex-Formula One driver, "partly because I was being distracted by my co-driver Tim Malzer, who wouldn't stop talking about cooking.""

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/7/8115.html

Last edited by Aslak Vind; 20 Jul 2008 at 11:15.
Old 20 Jul 2008, 18:41 (Ref:2254731)   #9
chocmonster7
Racer

United Kingdom
Darlington
chocmonster7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I've read Danner was driving the car with Regazzoni on the windscreen, Lauda was obviously in the one with his name on it.

There are some photos on motorsport.com
http://www.motorsport.com/photos/sel...Tribute&Y=2008
Old 20 Jul 2008, 18:51 (Ref:2254738)   #10
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Thank you for the link, chocmonster7

God I love those cars, and God I love the idea of this revival. The M1 Procar is a monster of a car, would love to see it manhandled by those legends - Jochen Neerpasch is 72 !!

I used to cover GP Masters, and loved every minute of it. This is more or less the same

And then there is the history of the car; designed in a hurry by Lamborghini, who then went bust. BMW had to break in and get the tools, before it was sold as scrap metal. Then they had to build it in GRP, and by the time it came out, there was an oilcrisis..

But it is here, and its gorgous

Last edited by Aslak Vind; 20 Jul 2008 at 18:53.
Old 21 Jul 2008, 02:02 (Ref:2254968)   #11
ravaglia
Rookie

ravaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone knows the result for 2nd race?
Old 21 Jul 2008, 05:09 (Ref:2255019)   #12
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Nothing release yet, although one shot I've seen suggests Neopach might have won it.

Anyway, as promised, quite a few images added to a gallery piece I did for another site. HERE. (link to more pics in a retrospective post at the end). Enjoy
Old 21 Jul 2008, 06:12 (Ref:2255033)   #13
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frank Stella (who painted the BMW 320 Turbo Art Car) was the passenger in Neerpasch's Warhol Art Car accord to this.

They also mention Marc Surer, Lacques Laffite, Dieter Quester, Harald Grohs, and Prince Leopold as drivers.

Last edited by The359; 21 Jul 2008 at 06:17.
Old 21 Jul 2008, 10:30 (Ref:2255194)   #14
chocmonster7
Racer

United Kingdom
Darlington
chocmonster7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the photos Andy!
Old 21 Jul 2008, 10:56 (Ref:2255207)   #15
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Brilliant pics , thanks . Shame Lauda won though !!!
Old 21 Jul 2008, 13:09 (Ref:2255287)   #16
Sarthe82
Racer

United Kingdom
Surrey
Love the pics, whatever happened to truly great racing liveries like that?
Old 21 Jul 2008, 13:30 (Ref:2255304)   #17
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Yes, I know

Btw: I do not believe Lafitte took part in the end
Old 22 Jul 2008, 08:43 (Ref:2255740)   #18
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Fantastic!

Niki Lauda and Marc Surer ran did they?

I saw the ad link on front page and thought eh??? Is it going to be some silly stunt where the F1 car starts half a lap behind the M1 to see who gets across the line first??!!

Heard the cars on that link to the website for first time, lovely sound. They look pretty rapid.

I also hope something similar comes back very soon, it's been rumoured many times and despite Speedcar getting some name drivers in I'm not sure it will be that series.

Needs to be a supercar or derivative of it with old pro against some of the current guys (if their bloody contracts allow it!)
Old 22 Jul 2008, 22:49 (Ref:2256238)   #19
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarthe82
Love the pics, whatever happened to truly great racing liveries like that?
I remember seeing a "POOH" jeans livery .... that was cool , I saw a race at Brands but im not sure which year it was ..... Alan Jones was in it and Reutaman I think , the Denim car too ..... brilliant idea !!!

Be nice to see something like this follow the LMS around as a support race ..... was going to mention a Porsche cup type thing but fear has pointed me away , by the Fiat mafia !!!
Old 22 Jul 2008, 23:14 (Ref:2256248)   #20
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why not put them in some new M6's? or M3s?
of course not nearly as cool but...
Old 22 Jul 2008, 23:19 (Ref:2256251)   #21
The Badger
Veteran

How about a Spyker cup !!!
Old 22 Jul 2008, 23:20 (Ref:2256253)   #22
Sarthe82
Racer

United Kingdom
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
I saw a race at Brands but im not sure which year it was ..... Alan Jones was in it and Reutaman I think , the Denim car too ..... brilliant idea !!!
That would have been 1980, the race was on the Saturday along with qualifying (Pironi in the Ligier was stunning!) and I watched the race from the outside of Hawthorns. The sight of a 25+ field of those beauties steaming into the braking area on the first lap was certainly a "Oh, so THAT'S why I'm on this side of the fence!" type of moment!
Old 24 Jul 2008, 14:16 (Ref:2257210)   #23
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
How about a Spyker cup !!!
I'm all in favour of that!

Great to see them M1's at speed again. Some folks made the M1 procar available for the GTR2 sim game too,lately. It drives great and sounds stunning.
I only ever saw one of these cars in real anger when it passed us on the long straight at the Nordschleife. What a beautifull beast it is...
Old 26 Jul 2008, 13:37 (Ref:2258136)   #24
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Has anyone managed to find the full results from both 'races' yet?

Article and some more pics here: http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/maga...0.asp?id=13848
Old 26 Jul 2008, 16:09 (Ref:2258189)   #25
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
nothing on the press site, which is a shame. Just the press release from race one (without results) which many sites used