Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Mar 2015, 13:15 (Ref:3516298)   #1
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[FIAF12015WCR2] Formula 1 Petronas Malaysia Grand Prix, Sepang International Circuit

So round two of the 2015 FIA Formula One World Championship sees the cars go to the Sepang International Circuit near Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

With the lacklustre that was the Australian Grand Prix, can the other teams pick up their game and take it to the dominating crew of Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team and the Mercedes F1 W06 Hybrid?

My predictions will be that Mercedes and Ferrari will continue to duke it out on the high downforce but high horsepower circuit as the lap from Lewis Hamilton demonstrates.

Lewis Hamilton's pole lap of 2014

Will we also see rain this season as it is the monsoon season over in Asia to spice up the racing? Who knows?
Old 18 Mar 2015, 12:01 (Ref:3516748)   #2
tigas
Racer

Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
tigas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Manor turn their wheels?
Will Alonso take a flight to Malaysia?
Will Valtteri Bottas show up as Bionic Man with some titanium scaffolding on the lower back?
Will Giedo VanDeGarde get Valtteri's seat?
Will Honda drop the revs on the engine even more because of the heat and leave McLaren with <200hp instead of <150hp of Melbourne?
Will Susie drive?
Will Horner just shut up and race?
Usually racing in the rain removes some engine advantage, which would be bad for Mercedes and good for everyone else (and us), but are they going to need rubber boats and paddles? (Or rubber duckies, for that matter...)
Old 18 Mar 2015, 13:26 (Ref:3516778)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Well Mercedes will just disappear into the distance again but hopefully this time there will be 2 Williams and 2 Ferraris scrapping to the end. At the front it's going to be dull but behind the Mercedes there should be plenty of scraps. If Manor get going then even McLaren will have someone to race assuming they make it to the grid
Old 18 Mar 2015, 14:26 (Ref:3516798)   #4
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i would like to see rain/wet race
Old 18 Mar 2015, 15:03 (Ref:3516821)   #5
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Rookies and rain. Should be interesting.

If we dont think that anoyone will match the good silver cars, then I'm at least hoping to see some good close Mercedes on Mercedes wheel to wheel racing at the front to stop some of the moaning.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 08:11 (Ref:3520199)   #6
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Malaysian Grand Prix 2015 (Round 2): Grand Prix Weekend Thread

Sepang, one of the older Tilke tracks is quite technical with some quick and tight corners. It's grown on me a little bit compared to some of his other tracks, at least in that its rather popular among the drivers and tends to produce some good races.

Hamilton was fastest in FP2 with Raikkonen 2nd.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 09:12 (Ref:3520225)   #7
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The BBC news report says that Hamilton suffered an engine failure, and they hoped to have him out for the second session.
Hopefully it's not too serious, and that he can avoid any further issues through the weekend.

And Alonso is already quicker than Button?
Old 27 Mar 2015, 15:36 (Ref:3520379)   #8
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
It is a good one, mainly for the fact it has some tricky corners, and drivers are actually PUNISHED for it, heavily!

Nice to see some changes in elevation, too.

Selby
Old 27 Mar 2015, 16:41 (Ref:3520441)   #9
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the earlier Tilke tracks and my favourite one. It is challenging, it has flow, and it has gravel traps. I wish Tilke would go back to the Sepang style with his newer tracks.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 19:45 (Ref:3520545)   #10
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope we get conditions where it's in that wet-but-not-wet stage where anything goes and it's practically down to pure ability. Or one with on-off showers because then it's down to luck.

But then again, those races barely come around...
Old 27 Mar 2015, 20:19 (Ref:3520564)   #11
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Malaysian GP can't be any worse than Melbourne and even though it's on a Tilkedrome it's one of his better creations.

The ones to watch are Alonso and Bottas, both having missed Melbourne and McLaren, after Button just failed to get in the points in what was an attritional Australian GP. I presume rather than assume, one of the Mercedes will win. Remember if you assume you make an ass out of you and me.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 20:30 (Ref:3520570)   #12
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
I hope we get conditions where it's in that wet-but-not-wet stage where anything goes and it's practically down to pure ability. Or one with on-off showers because then it's down to luck.

But then again, those races barely come around...
Agreed.

Any real rain now is an automatic safety car.

Selby
Old 27 Mar 2015, 21:23 (Ref:3520610)   #13
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Is it just me..or was practice completely boring?.
I actually fell asleep for 1/2 an hour,which could also have been 1/2 a bottle of Merlot,but nothing much happened when I was awake..
The commentator said at the end Lewis Hamilton had only done 16 laps in an hour and a half.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 02:19 (Ref:3520695)   #14
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And Kyvat was within half a second of Hamilton in P2 - are Renault still poo?
Old 28 Mar 2015, 09:37 (Ref:3520805)   #15
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just watching qualifying, Q2 to be exact and rain has stopped play and it looks like a 15+ minute delay until Q3.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 28 Mar 2015 at 09:52.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 09:44 (Ref:3520809)   #16
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so, the guy who is "too young for F1" is in P7 and in Q3 while much more experienced drivers aren't
Old 28 Mar 2015, 09:57 (Ref:3520812)   #17
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After the flak Ericsson at times has had to endure on this forum it's nice to see him in Q3.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 10:03 (Ref:3520815)   #18
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How the hell does a bike racer get on the stewards panel at a car race!!!!!!!!!!
Old 28 Mar 2015, 10:06 (Ref:3520817)   #19
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
How the hell does a bike racer get on the stewards panel at a car race!!!!!!!!!!
A fat pay cheque.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 10:07 (Ref:3520818)   #20
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
<p>Well with the extra delay, we'll almost certainly see slicks getting pole today.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Thanks Charlie.</p>
Old 28 Mar 2015, 10:18 (Ref:3520823)   #21
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
<p>Well with the extra delay, we'll almost certainly see slicks getting pole today.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Thanks Charlie.</p>
They've gone out on full wets and inters.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 10:32 (Ref:3520830)   #22
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Q3

1 Hamilton
2 Vettel
3 Rosberg
4 Ricciardo
5 Kvyat
6 Verstappen
7 Massa
8 Grosjean
9 Bottas
10 Ericsson

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 28 Mar 2015 at 10:43.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 11:09 (Ref:3520855)   #23
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Q3

1 Hamilton
2 Vettel
3 Rosberg
4 Ricciardo
5 Kvyat
6 Verstappen
7 Massa
8 Grosjean
9 Bottas
10 Ericsson
just read Max is the first teenager in the top 6 of qualifying since 1961
Old 28 Mar 2015, 11:34 (Ref:3520865)   #24
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It looks like full wets are pretty well redundant these days. The cars were throwing up a lot of spray and there were some small amounts of standing water, yet the inters were 1 or 1.5 seconds faster than wets. Any wetter and they wouldn't run anyway, so the wets are pointless.

I know a lot people think the red flags and safety cars are getting excessive in wet conditions, but I really think spray and (lack of) visibility preclude racing in seriously wet conditions. I've been there myself, and it's seriously scary. Even if there was a radical plan to reduce spray (super-narrow tyres, no rear wings, no diffusers), I think the spray would be too much. And obviously the powers-that-be would never go as far as that anyway.

On the other hand, I think the use of the so-called safety car to control wet conditions is a nonsense. It just stems from BE's obsession with the time schedule. For me it's far better to run a whole race an hour late than to be on time and fore-shorten the actual racing by an hour. I wonder what the brilliant minds of F1 designers would come up with if they were challenged to design and build a track-dryer.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 11:51 (Ref:3520875)   #25
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quoted post removed as spam

Thanks, but I never trust a site telling me to disable my ad-blocker. It's there for a reason

Can you confirm this is a legit site?

Selby
---
Just realised it's probably a spambot, so ignore these links, people.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 28 Mar 2015 at 12:27. Reason: Removing Spam -ScotsBrutesFan