Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Mar 2003, 19:28 (Ref:544347)   #1
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Peter S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this a fix?

A couple of people pointed this out to me today, in relation to Fernando Alonso's pole position.

Last week, Spains television coverage plu was pulled by there broadcaster to show Formula 1 on national television. Renault conveniantly stepped in to save it and paid around £3 million for TVE to show every race starting this weekend.

Spain claimed that formula is dead in there country and no tickets for the grand prix has been sold hardly, claiming they need a spanish superstar in order to attract people back to formula 1 in Spain. Suddenly up pops Alonso and puts the Renault on pole, which some are claiming is a fix due to an agreement between organizers and teams. Is this just a coincidence or a fix we may ask ourselves? This isnt the first time claims similar to this have come up.
Old 22 Mar 2003, 19:35 (Ref:544355)   #2
Adrian Randle
Rookie

Adrian Randle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure all of this adds up to a fix. More simply it maybe that Renault desided to run their cars on very low fuel in order to gain pole and some much needed publicity.

It will be interesting to see if the Renaults have to pit in the first few laps. If so all looks in order, if not...

...better ask Bernie.
Old 22 Mar 2003, 19:38 (Ref:544360)   #3
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And so it begins. Sounds fishy to me.
Old 22 Mar 2003, 19:40 (Ref:544364)   #4
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
So F1s been borrowing ideas from the World Wrestling Federation marketing department then?
Old 22 Mar 2003, 19:41 (Ref:544366)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe they just told them to run a light fuel load...

...or perhaps Renault decided that if it rains early in the race (as it may very well) they maye have to pit early anyway.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 22 Mar 2003, 19:49 (Ref:544373)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not going to make any decisive comment on this until after the race. Of course, if the Renaults pit in the first 5 laps, it's an obvious fix, and I'm sure the Spanish people won't be dumb enough to fall for it. If they are 3 stopping and everyone else is two stopping, then my comment elsewhere holds: that the non-racing aspects of the decision, like the extra publicity, have affected their choice of strategy.
Old 22 Mar 2003, 19:59 (Ref:544385)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably is a light fuel load.

It seems to me the Catalunya track is the reason the race doesn't sell well, consistently _the_ most boring racing of the year!

Move the damn thing to Jerez already!

Montjuich Park was a great street course, though... El Angulo's still one of the best hairpins ever.
Old 22 Mar 2003, 20:15 (Ref:544408)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Is this a fix?

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter S

Last week, Spains television coverage plu was pulled by there broadcaster to show Formula 1 on national television. Renault conveniantly stepped in to save it and paid around £3 million for TVE to show every race starting this weekend.......................

............ Suddenly up pops Alonso and puts the Renault on pole, which some are claiming is a fix due to an agreement between organizers and teams. Is this just a coincidence or a fix we may ask ourselves? This isnt the first time claims similar to this have come up.
I don't think it's a fix, after all, Renault and the organisers would need the backing of the other teams and i don't see that happening.BUT the reason for Renault going on a "light fuel load" is proberbly because of the coverage they will get as oppossed to the possible result at the end of the race.
Old 22 Mar 2003, 21:03 (Ref:544468)   #9
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not to use the term lightly but I think there's a lot of "shock and awe" after the Renault tour de force in qualifying.

There's no fix but the fact that they probably ran low fuel loads and they have one of the top 3 qualifiers (Jarno) and a future Mega Star that's starting to shine (Fernando)in the cars.

I fail to get excited when the pole goes to the more powerful engine or the best package. However Fernando and Jarno taught the rest of the grid a lesson in "brain over brawn". I cannot believe the Ferraris, Macs and Williamses are all on radical heavy loads. This was truly impressive for Renault.

Old 22 Mar 2003, 21:05 (Ref:544470)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it's just a choice isn't it? the column inches they've got from this pole far surpasses what they'd get for a couple of laps up front tomorrow due to running a different pit strategy tomorrow if the rules were the same as last year.

i think people are mistaking 'a fix' for the new rules and a new dimension of strategy. it's interesting and brings a couple of new faces to the top of the order. which is all what everyone was criticising it for not having in the first place right?
Old 22 Mar 2003, 21:09 (Ref:544472)   #11
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bella
it's just a choice isn't it? the column inches they've got from this pole far surpasses what they'd get for a couple of laps up front tomorrow due to running a different pit strategy tomorrow if the rules were the same as last year.

i think people are mistaking 'a fix' for the new rules and a new dimension of strategy. it's interesting and brings a couple of new faces to the top of the order. which is all what everyone was criticising it for not having in the first place right?
I think you're right Bella. Besides, what's Renault going to do if they're down on power. They cannot simply accept they're going to be following the others all the time. They had to try something radical and I'g glad it's worked at least in qualifying. It has livened up things a bit hasn't it?

Cheers,

RT
Old 22 Mar 2003, 21:10 (Ref:544473)   #12
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
think people are mistaking 'a fix' for the new rules and a new dimension of strategy
Thats right, this is the brave new era of F1,people just arent used to seeing a car on pole that isn't painted red.
But when the lights go green the Renaults will will quickly be overwhelmed by the feild behind them.
Old 22 Mar 2003, 21:13 (Ref:544476)   #13
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that Renault did run on low fuel in a blatant attempt to get the front. However they'll say they took a punt on it raining inside five laps like it did a couple of years back, and all hell broke loose...
Old 22 Mar 2003, 21:39 (Ref:544512)   #14
Jellybabe
Racer

Jellybabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely if it was a fix to get coverage in Spain then only Alonso would have had the quick time? With Trulli up there as well you have to assume it was a strategic decision, and not one made to appese the Spanish TV audience...
Old 22 Mar 2003, 22:27 (Ref:544551)   #15
Fluffster
Rookie

Fluffster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
It seems to me the Catalunya track is the reason the race doesn't sell well, consistently _the_ most boring racing of the year!

Amen! The races there hold all the excitement of a 2-hour swedish state-sponsored program on mastication. It's downright depressing.
Old 22 Mar 2003, 22:38 (Ref:544565)   #16
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recently watched an old VHS of Mansell when he was with Ferrari. 1990, that's all. It brought into VERY sharp relief how boring all F1 has been over the last few years.
Old 22 Mar 2003, 22:39 (Ref:544566)   #17
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've got a feeling that something fishy is afoot. Its all just too convienient.
Old 22 Mar 2003, 23:26 (Ref:544601)   #18
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari was about 2 seconds faster than the third placed team on friday. Then all of a sudden not be able to beat Renault who in Australia was no faster than the Toyotas or BAR's. I am not going for the "track being suited for them" story. Yes, I think they did really well, but in no way are they the fastest cars on the track.

To use Ebonics... "It aint finna happen"
Old 22 Mar 2003, 23:51 (Ref:544614)   #19
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta

Why don't you shut up? Just joking, Lee, but if they move it I will not be able to go, dammit!
Old 23 Mar 2003, 02:36 (Ref:544740)   #20
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It says ALOT for the perceived reputation of f1 that people would believe this kind of stuff......
Old 23 Mar 2003, 02:54 (Ref:544752)   #21
Thorstone
Veteran

Thorstone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on it is not boxing in USA
Old 23 Mar 2003, 03:03 (Ref:544756)   #22
Fluffster
Rookie

Fluffster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Er það ekki bara stigsmunur núorðið?
Old 23 Mar 2003, 03:19 (Ref:544765)   #23
Thorstone
Veteran

Thorstone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fluffster
Er það ekki bara stigsmunur núorðið?
Is some variance in it today? Fluffster
it is very few here in this forum who understand icelandic Fluffster

Yes I do still believe so
Old 23 Mar 2003, 03:30 (Ref:544767)   #24
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
And maybe the Indian bookmakers decided that todays One Day Cricket World Cup Final couldn't be fixed, so they telephoned every F1 driver to make sure Alonso got pole.
Geez. There are some ridigilis posts coming forth here.

Old 23 Mar 2003, 04:34 (Ref:544775)   #25
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordi
Why don't you shut up? Just joking, Lee, but if they move it I will not be able to go, dammit!
I figured you might protest that, Jordi.

I'd really love to see it in Montjuich Park, but that hasn't been a race track in a _long_ time, and had a very dangerous reputation in it's day (both for drivers and spectactors).

I actually missed the race , so what happened on the podium at Jerez in '97 that got Mosely so incredibly PO'd at the city and venue?