Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 13 Apr 2003, 09:53 (Ref:567965)   #1
keller
Rookie

keller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fran-Am or Barber Dodge Pro Series.

What benefits do each of these series have for drivers, do you do Fran-Am if your ambition is F1 and Barber Dodge if its Champ Cars.
What are the approximate cost differences ?
What are the differences in machinery ?
I appreciate that in Fran-Am its a team orientated series where as Barber Dodge is arrive and drive.What are the benefits or disadvantages of each?
Old 13 Apr 2003, 21:09 (Ref:568489)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Either one can lead you to F1 or CART. Right now, Barber Dodge Pro Series has a TV package and gets you right in front of the CART fraternity.

Fran-Am... I think the winter series down in Florida is the only one worth watching, because European and South American drivers come other to chase prize money. So if you can beat them, you'll look pretty impressive.
Old 14 Apr 2003, 03:49 (Ref:568728)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fran-Am has yet to produced anyone in Cart or F1 because it's still in its infancy (about a year old) and trying to build a name for itself. It was designed as a 'first open-wheeler' after Karting series. The winter series was obviously an attempt to gain some much needed exposure for the new series and hopefully attract some guys for the full series. There are different levels of Fran-Am, and regional series starting up as well. The top level, Fran-Am 2000 Pro series is the top level and probably the one you'll hear abotu the most (The champion gets a fully funded ride in the Euro-cup V6 FRenault! - huge!). www.fran-am.com has a ton of info on the series (check out the downloads section). I'm not sure about costs, but a 2003 car costs $44,000 if that's any indication. Anyone here raced in the series?

Barber Dodge costs around $200,000 US a year, and I think it can be considered a level above Fran-Am, with drivers being in their late teens, early 20s if that means anything. It's a really good series to learn some racecraft, setting up a racecar, and learn the Cart circuits if you're heading in that direction. It's extremely competitive, and the cars are heavy and built to take abuse from rookies. The series is really an extension of the Skip Barber Racing school so each driver is provided with their own coaches and (supposedly) given lots of support through the season. But, they're not equal by any means. (I have a feeling the organizers sometimes play favorites, but don't quote me on that) One driver I know had a difference of about 10 spots between two cars, and that was pretty consistent session to session.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 14 Apr 2003, 21:44 (Ref:569505)   #4
keller
Rookie

keller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Russfeld how about your veiws as you seem to have an opinion on most series and their merits.