Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 6 Mar 2021, 08:53 (Ref:4039143)   #1301
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Of course if you go off at Island, you are looking at a long slide on the grass at best and at worst heading for the tyre wall. It's certainly a harder corner than it looks. It's not just a mere kink
Old 6 Mar 2021, 09:59 (Ref:4039159)   #1302
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didnt a historic racer put a F2 March half way up
a tree at the Shell hairpin a few years ago?
Old 6 Mar 2021, 12:07 (Ref:4039182)   #1303
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
That's the circuit that for some reason BTCC use - I guess its just because it shortens the circuit so spectators can see the cars more times....
Officially - The BTCC’s annual visit to the picturesque Cheshire venue has always proved hugely popular with drivers, teams and fans alike, and this change [for 2014] is sure to further spice up the show next summer. [...]

The International layout has been used before in the BTCC and will again see Britain’s best tin top machines blasting down to Shell Oils Corner rather than taking on the tighter Island Bend.

then - The [2015] calendar is similar to the 2013 calendar with June's visit to Oulton Park in Cheshire using the Island layout rather than the Shell layout used this season. That change came after criticism that the longer circuit formation produced dull races with drivers unable to overtake.

Autosport reported - The full Oulton International configuration was used for the first time since 1996 this [2014] season, but came in for criticism after relatively sedate races.

As a result, the series will return to the shorter Island circuit in 2015.

This opinion was backed up by some in the 2014 BTCC thread:
well I think I speak for everyone when I say that this race was BORING , almost F1 levels of pathetic, almost no passing
hope they return to the original layout , this long one sucks !!

a bad choice of track configuration quite easily produced the most boring btcc races I've witnessed in a very very long time

Was almost as if the only real place these guys could pass would have been island hairpin and knickerbrook, Island obviously wasn't used and Shell Oils is a hard place to pass
Old 6 Mar 2021, 12:17 (Ref:4039185)   #1304
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
As for Paul's comment - we really ought to run a book on "how many corners I haven't spun at" My friend is a very quick driver, but never knowingly travels in a straight line
I'll have you know there are lots of corners I haven't spun at!

For example, I never spun at... err... well, what about... err... hmmm...

Hang on! Got it! I never spun at... oh, hang on... err... oh, damn it!
Old 6 Mar 2021, 13:17 (Ref:4039203)   #1305
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
You obviously aren’t trying enough if you haven’t spun off at every corner you’ve been on. Unless it’s a corner with no name or just one with a nnumber
Old 6 Mar 2021, 15:47 (Ref:4039237)   #1306
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
I'll have you know there are lots of corners I haven't spun at!
You need to spin to know for sure where the limits are… That's why we have FP and Q.
Old 6 Mar 2021, 16:03 (Ref:4039242)   #1307
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
You obviously aren’t trying enough if you haven’t spun off at every corner you’ve been on. Unless it’s a corner with no name or just one with a nnumber
I've spun off at the corner with no name - testing at Goodwood in the early 80's in a FF2000
Old 6 Mar 2021, 20:02 (Ref:4039270)   #1308
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On The M Bell calendar, who is the driver in the March picture. I'm sure that I should know who it is, but can't think of a name.
Old 6 Mar 2021, 20:38 (Ref:4039275)   #1309
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
On The M Bell calendar, who is the driver in the March picture. I'm sure that I should know who it is, but can't think of a name.
Funny you should say that - had me puzzling too.
Old 7 Mar 2021, 15:57 (Ref:4039434)   #1310
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Predictions Contest & Fun. What a thread, a lot of work, a lot of fun. Brilliant idea. Looking forward seeing more battles. Merci encore Malcolm, bien joué.
Old 7 Mar 2021, 17:12 (Ref:4039461)   #1311
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I remember you and Michèle had the first jab, John. How do you feel?
Old 7 Mar 2021, 17:25 (Ref:4039465)   #1312
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I remember you and Michèle had the first jab, John. How do you feel?
Eh?

We're in France - not a hope of getting a jab here, thanks to the bungling incompetent EU & that prat Macron!!
Old 7 Mar 2021, 17:46 (Ref:4039468)   #1313
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Eh?
At least you look splendid!
I went to my doc' an asked about what kind of vaccine, when, what he recommends and so on… Got only one answer: dont worry too much, they've just change the rules, now you're too old and too young! So may be May, may be not, lets say ummmm June if you're still around! In a whisper he confessed having lost more that ten "clients". The more stupid story he told me was about a broken leg, the guy goes to the hospital and never went out!! Ho good doctor…
Old 7 Mar 2021, 17:54 (Ref:4039469)   #1314
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
The way we go, we'll have had Beaujolais Nouveau far before any vaccine! Si ça tue les puces peut être le virus aura la trouille! Vas savoir, Charles comme ils disent… At least, with Beaujolais, we know how to inject it!
Old 7 Mar 2021, 17:56 (Ref:4039471)   #1315
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
At least you look splendid!
I went to my doc' an asked about what kind of vaccine, when, what he recommends and so on… Got only one answer: dont worry too much, they've just change the rules, now you're too old and too young! So may be May, may be not, lets say ummmm June if you're still around! In a whisper he confessed having lost more that ten "clients". The more stupid story he told me was about a broken leg, the guy goes to the hospital and never went out!! Ho good doctor…
I recently signed-up with a local Dr - primarily because he is a car guy & speaks English! I hopefully won't be needing him too often, I last used a doctor in 1966.

If you need a different Doctor you have a very nice one in your town - Michele's cousin. She's lovely!
Old 7 Mar 2021, 18:00 (Ref:4039473)   #1316
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
The way we go, we'll have had Beaujolais Nouveau far before any vaccine! Si ça tue les puces peut être le virus aura la trouille! Vas savoir, Charles comme ils disent… At least, with Beaujolais, we know how to inject it!
Michele's 90 year-old father is still waiting, although I believe he now has a date.

I don't really care whetherb or not I have one, it's just the prospect of not being able to go anywhere without one that concerns me. I've just been ploughing through several years of Essen pics looking for something that reminded me just how much I have missed things.
Old 7 Mar 2021, 18:22 (Ref:4039477)   #1317
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The more stupid story he told me was about a broken leg, the guy goes to the hospital and never went out!! Ho good doctor…

I'm afraid, Gerard, it is not uncommon in some hospitals in the UK, where patients go in with one complaint and catch the virus whilst be treated. This is why I am so grateful to all the staff, both medics and others, in the hospital where I was imprisoned last year because they went to extraordinary lengths to try to ensure that there was no cross-contamination. When I was discharged in August, I was told that they had been successful in not having one cross-contamination case, unlike some of the other hospitals that I read about whilst I was still there.

The most tragic recently was the UK's Captain Sir Tom Moore, 100 years young, who last year by walking around his fairly large garden, raised nearly £33 million for the NHS Staff Charity who went into hospital with a chest infection, but caught the virus in the hospital and passed away shortly after.

Quote:
I don't really care whetherb or not I have one, ..................

John, I really think you ought to care, if not for yourself, but for others.
Old 7 Mar 2021, 18:56 (Ref:4039482)   #1318
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Michele's 90 year-old father is still waiting, although I believe he now has a date.
With the lovely doctor, you mean? Ha, les Français sont des coquins quand il s'agit de jolies femmes!

Yes Mike, heard about Captain Sir Tom Moore, he looked great in his garden. What a fantastic story fo a good willed person, always smiling. Really touchy. He left not only a great example of empathy but making another intention worthy.
Old 7 Mar 2021, 19:07 (Ref:4039484)   #1319
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Now they are talking about a kind of "jab passport" but no-one can explain how it could be done, printed and/or handled. Silly situation. May be you've been watching in TV an interview of the boss of a french company located in the US? The guy explained he had developed a very good "product" but that France didn't order any dose when it was time to do…
And all the predictions made dont take the second jab in count! Banana republic here?
Old 7 Mar 2021, 19:51 (Ref:4039493)   #1320
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
With the lovely doctor, you mean? Ha, les Français sont des coquins quand il s'agit de jolies femmes!

Yes Mike, heard about Captain Sir Tom Moore, he looked great in his garden. What a fantastic story fo a good willed person, always smiling. Really touchy. He left not only a great example of empathy but making another intention worthy.
Maybe with his own doctor - she's young, blonde & glamorous! He's quite a character too & you'd never guess he was 90.
Old 8 Mar 2021, 10:11 (Ref:4039588)   #1321
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anyone looking for a 'sizeable' property with a view.... and a great address?

448 Conrod Straight Mount Panorama Bathurst is on the market.
the listing reads.

Quote:
Lochinvar boasts the largest Circuit frontage of any properties on Mount Panorama with 288m of track frontage for primal viewing during major track events throughout the year.

The 89.5-acre property encompasses four lodgings, totalling 10 bedrooms and eight bathrooms. The three listed cottages come fully furnished.

The property has dual access via Conrod Straight and College Road, the latter ensuring it is accessible on race weekends.
More info and pics: https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/03/08...ts-the-market/
Old 8 Mar 2021, 10:15 (Ref:4039591)   #1322
S griffin
Veteran

Now that would be epic. Whoever gets that will be one of the luckiest people alive. Get to see races for free. Problem is there might be plenty knocking on the door come race time. But yeah, what a place to live
Old 8 Mar 2021, 10:48 (Ref:4039602)   #1323
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post

the listing reads.

Happy Commonwealth Day, E.B.!
Old 8 Mar 2021, 11:41 (Ref:4039617)   #1324
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post

the listing reads.

I remember that from the last time it was advertised.

Did it sell then? Presumably not ... and then the pandemic got in the way?
Old 8 Mar 2021, 11:54 (Ref:4039621)   #1325
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I remember that from the last time it was advertised.

Did it sell then? Presumably not ... and then the pandemic got in the way?
I knew it was on the market at the end of 2019 just prior to our learning the new Covid word.... so I guess given that here in Aus part of our lengthy lockdown ensured there were no open for inspections other than viewing a video, even viewing from outside limited to a 5klm travel from home allowance other thn for work, and all sales were by online auction/verbal phone negotiations so not a lot of property sold. So no surprise an almost $6 million property did not sell.
No surprise either it is back on again.... now apparently we are having a mini housing boom after a bad last year.... with open for inspections ok now and the normal selling protocols available again it seems there are more buyers than sellers, so the old supply and demand factor rears its head.
Judging by the number of notes from Real Estate agents suggesting now is a great time to sell in my mail box the agents are scratching for stuff to meet their demand.
Closed Thread