Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I want to be a marshall

I want to be a marshall,
its something i've always wanted to do,
i was wondering if anyone knows the minimum age limit, and where and how i can contact anyone or do my training in East Anglia,

i want to marshall at Snetterdon in Norfolk.

I would also be grateful of any information regarding commitments, e.g, how long it takes to train, any test taken, any training taken after qualifying.

If anyoone could help me it would make my life a lot better.
Old 6 Feb 2003, 09:46 (Ref:498193)   #2
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Hi Smokey, well surprisingly enuff you've come to the right place.

First suggestion would be check out www.marshalspost.com which has listings for most of the marshals' clubs in the UK.

Secondly, watch this space because sometime in the next 24 hours you are going to be mobbed!

Commitment
It does take commitment, but in terms of time, it's as much or as little as you can spare. Obviously, the more events you go to, the more experience you'll get - but if you can only make 1 day out of 4, you'll still be very welcome.

Minimum Age
Varies depending on insurance, but in general 16-18, with parental consent and after that you can sign your own forms!

Training
Depends on the Club, but with the exception of a couple of training days/classroom based evening training sessions, the majority of training is done on the bank. You learn as you go along basically

Tests/Qualifications
The majority of clubs have a grading system that you work towards, but it's what you might call "continuous assessment" rather than having a big exam at the end of it all. If you get enough signatures from people qualified to assess your performance on any given day, you can then put in for a grade.

Grades differ between clubs, but the basic ones that you'll be looking at in the first couple of years are:

Course: This is the entry level for most marshals - it covers behaviour around the track, dealing with minor incidents, understanding marshalling procedures etc.

Fire: Putting them out, not starting them!

Incident: Usually a combination of Course/Fire

Flag: Expect to work for at least 2-3 years on this one - looks easy when you see it done by experts but takes years to learn how to do properly!
Old 6 Feb 2003, 09:51 (Ref:498197)   #3
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
ive started when i was 17 and had a great year. looking forward to marshalling at long beach in april- shows what a great time you can have
Old 6 Feb 2003, 10:36 (Ref:498237)   #4
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
17, that would be perfect,
i've just turned 17.

I really am going to try,
My parents will give me full support so there is no problem there.

Last edited by Smokey 6 litre; 6 Feb 2003 at 10:37.
Old 6 Feb 2003, 11:08 (Ref:498258)   #5
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to the BMMC web page there is a training day at Snetterton on 16 February see EP's post for contact details.

Old 6 Feb 2003, 11:14 (Ref:498263)   #6
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't forget there are other disciplines, such as Pits, Startline and Paddock.
Old 6 Feb 2003, 12:26 (Ref:498342)   #7
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
smokey, if your enthusiastic,dont mind cold wet weather and like to get involved marshalling is definitely for you. youll get on fine with other marshals as i did this year.
Old 6 Feb 2003, 12:46 (Ref:498371)   #8
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by KayBee
According to the BMMC web page there is a training day at Snetterton on 16 February see EP's post for contact details.

That is the worst possible time, AHHHHHHHH, last night i promoised my gran i would go round hers to look after my sick grandad while she goes out.

Do you know of anymore dates, further in the future.

Old 6 Feb 2003, 12:54 (Ref:498381)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Just contact the guys at Snetterton (details on the website) or try www.marshals.co.uk which is the website for the British Motorsport Marshals Club (BMMC) or failing that try www.brscc.co.uk for help!
Old 6 Feb 2003, 13:13 (Ref:498394)   #10
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England

thanks! to everyone,
let hope it will work out

Old 6 Feb 2003, 13:29 (Ref:498418)   #11
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
All these flashing smilies - should this thread have a photosensitive epilepsy warning?
Old 6 Feb 2003, 15:27 (Ref:498552)   #12
Andy Metcalf
Racer

England
Kings Lynn, Norfolk UK
Andy Metcalf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Training day is THIS Sunday. The 9th . You must contact Peter Rodwell, the marshal if you want to join us. The website that Stephen mentioned in the earlier post will give you his contact details. If you cannot make training day, dont panic there are ways around it. You'd learn 'on the job' alongside others in a crew and then do the training day next year. Snetterton works in crews so you usually marshal with the same people. Your age might mean you cannot do some duties but am sure you'll soon reach 18. Pete is very helpful so dont worry about phoning him or emailing. He is quick to respond, but do ring before 9pm. Hope to see you on Sunday.

"Tomorrow, is what you make it"
Old 6 Feb 2003, 15:31 (Ref:498558)   #13
Andy Metcalf
Racer

England
Kings Lynn, Norfolk UK
Andy Metcalf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oops, Peter is the Chief marshal not just the marshal. Use the BRSCC site. It is easier.

"Tomorrow, is what you make it"
Old 6 Feb 2003, 15:34 (Ref:498562)   #14
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dont forget motorbike racing as well, we have a training day at brands in the near future. pm me if you want details
Old 6 Feb 2003, 21:03 (Ref:498847)   #15
Shinners
Racer

Shinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridShinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great to hear ! Good luck, enjoy and DONT GET DEAD !
Old 6 Feb 2003, 22:35 (Ref:498931)   #16
Guisbro Rod H
Racer

Guisbro Rod H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Shinners
Great to hear ! Good luck, enjoy and DONT GET DEAD !
I presume that means "Dead Drunk"
Enjoy yourself Smokey 6 litre, but beware of those on comedians on ten-tenths.

Remember, if you need help or don't understand, just ask.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 08:55 (Ref:499169)   #17
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
comedians? tsk tsk.

If he's going to be a marshal, can I be a tree? I've always wanted to be a tree...........
Old 7 Feb 2003, 12:05 (Ref:499317)   #18
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
i've filled in a form of the brscc site,
and im going to send this off very soon,
do i need a reply from that before i do anything like training.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 15:15 (Ref:499558)   #19
andrew_powell98
Racer

andrew_powell98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EvilPumpkin

Fire: Putting them out, not starting them!
Ah EP that has been where I have been going wrong. When I see the fire I am handed the bacon to cook

And S6L why become a marshal?
You stand out in the cold wind rain or for 2 weeks heat,
ware fashionable Orange overalls,
get to see good racing, have a good laugh,
and you can make it to Silverstone and marshal the GP- well there has to be a downside to marshalling.
I am sure like me and many others you will have fun as Snet is really nice and friendly track. If you dare to venture a little futher Brands is really friendly and do make it up North to Oulton Park. No matter what circuit you go to most people will welcome you, apart from the odd driver who has just written the car off doing a manouver not possible.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 16:04 (Ref:499605)   #20
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
If he's going to be a marshal, can I be a tree?
A bush, maybe.......
Old 7 Feb 2003, 16:38 (Ref:499637)   #21
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can i hide behind the, i shall get my coat, dont want to lower the tone.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 17:00 (Ref:499668)   #22
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
It's ok Dave, I blame your encroaching senility...
Old 7 Feb 2003, 17:13 (Ref:499689)   #23
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
It's ok Dave, I blame your encroaching senility...
Encroaching senility? I've been senile for years!
Old 7 Feb 2003, 17:16 (Ref:499696)   #24
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
see - you forget that you haven't been senile for years really - poor auld thing. Never mind, come and have some of your brain medicine
Old 7 Feb 2003, 17:19 (Ref:499708)   #25
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
see - you forget that you haven't been senile for years really - poor auld thing. Never mind, come and have some of your brain medicine
After trying to figure out that first sentence my brain hurts!