Old 13 Aug 2007, 23:06 (Ref:1988014)   #26
chemhead1
Racer

United States
Buying H-doujins in Los Angeles, CA
chemhead1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
In a merged environment I just can't see how you could run the dp 01 and Dallara together because they are such different.
Well, first and foremost, you'd have to use the 2004 test/2005 race spec Dallara GP2. And maybe remove a few aerodynamic devices here and there, and possibly different front and rear wings.

Then either you can remove the airbox from the Dallara or add one to the DP01 (It's not that hard, we already know it's possible from the sp-I mean what pictures?)
Old 14 Aug 2007, 00:04 (Ref:1988037)   #27
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemhead1
Well, first and foremost, you'd have to use the 2004 test/2005 race spec Dallara GP2. And maybe remove a few aerodynamic devices here and there, and possibly different front and rear wings.

Then either you can remove the airbox from the Dallara or add one to the DP01 (It's not that hard, we already know it's possible from the sp-I mean what pictures?)
But the point is..at least from a Purist Champcar pov...A champcar does not HAVE an airbox. That is for low-tech irl engines. And adding a silhouette just to look like a GP2 car? Which package costs more btw? My guess would be the GP2 car would cost more, but I haven't a clue.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 08:08 (Ref:1988108)   #28
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GP2 aint vastly expensive.

Regards Lola people at Panoz, yes there are - loads of them - its like Braseltonshire, it seems pretty much everyone there is a Brit apart from Mike Fuller and a guy with a deep south drawl...
Old 14 Aug 2007, 18:01 (Ref:1988771)   #29
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Every time we get new members, "unification" becomes the battle cry.

O.K. consider this: with unification comes, a loss of nearly half the races, nearly half the drivers and nearly the cars, no competition= higher prices (no ticket give aways)

Now tell me a the pluses.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 00:10 (Ref:1989237)   #30
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
back on topic...

track record broken at TT Circuit Assen in Assen, Holland by Andreas Wirth in PKV's Lola

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...e.asp?ID=12074

(not all of Hollland is The Netherlands)

will the DP01 get the record?
Old 23 Aug 2007, 08:07 (Ref:1994910)   #31
chemhead1
Racer

United States
Buying H-doujins in Los Angeles, CA
chemhead1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bil588
Not if CC throws in a chicane at the last minute.
Old 23 Aug 2007, 19:19 (Ref:1995334)   #32
davehenrie
Racer

United States
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bil588
back on topic...

track record broken at TT Circuit Assen in Assen, Holland by Andreas Wirth in PKV's Lola

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...e.asp?ID=12074

(not all of Hollland is The Netherlands)

According to Wirth the Dp will. This was a situation Similar to the statement/question in post 16, why would they send the car just for publicity if they didn't want to do it right? Well they didn't NEED to do much to surpass an A1gp lap so why spend all that extra money?
That car was there to sell tickets, not to crush a lap record...if they really wanted to do that, they would have shown up with a 1998ish Lola and a Honda Powerplant.

Well, clearly the Champcar demo was just that, a skeleton crew and no real setup. Obviously Toyota was convinced that an F1 car was so much faster than other cars that use Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, that they saw no need to bring the 100 or so people that would normally accompany the car to an F1 weekend. Similarly, people were underwhelmed by the times set by the Sauber BMW when it made it's 3 or 4 laps around the Nordschleiffe.
High ride-heights, and Engine Limits prevented a true 'assault' on the course record. The cost of such an effort, just as Toyota at Laguna, far outweighs the publicity benefits.

I still say the car that Sebastien drove to eclipse the time set by the Toyota, would probably not pass race scrutineering. And they only reason they made the effort was because the bulk of the two day test was over, and Kelkoven probably paid for the extra effort. Certainly they would not have transported to Laguna the entire Y-N-H-L team just for an attempt to beat the F1 lap record. They were there, they were done, and somebody offered them them opportunity. A few tweeks from Cosworth, Red tires...who knows how much weight was removed and POOF! A lap record.

dave henrie

Last edited by davehenrie; 23 Aug 2007 at 19:22.
Old 25 Aug 2007, 16:31 (Ref:1996354)   #33
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seb Bourdais DP01: 1:12.821

A1 gp record: 1:32.824 + 0:20.003

Writh/Lola: 1:28.276 + 0:15.455
Old 25 Aug 2007, 18:34 (Ref:1996409)   #34
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, obviously A1GP and the Old Lola would be slower on Assen then the DP01 would be on Zolder.

might be better to compare it to the 1.17.122 Christian Montanari set on the track last year, in qualifying for the Formula Renault 3.5 race

on that: the demo-laps the Renault R25 did that weekend, were not timed
Old 25 Aug 2007, 18:36 (Ref:1996411)   #35
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Didn't the DP-01 reset the lap record at Mont Tremblant during the CC event this year?
Old 25 Aug 2007, 19:21 (Ref:1996428)   #36
davehenrie
Racer

United States
When was Mt T last raced? I would assume the track may have been re-configured somewhat...chicane added to T1 etc..

dave henrie
Old 26 Aug 2007, 08:45 (Ref:1996666)   #37
Bernard Bram
Racer

Bernard Bram has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehenrie
Similarly, people were underwhelmed by the times set by the Sauber BMW when it made it's 3 or 4 laps around the Nordschleife.

Who was? Nick was flooring it. Were it not for the camera crew on track driving in front of him for some 30 seconds each lap he could have broken the lap record. We took the time of the second run with under 7:30.
Old 26 Aug 2007, 15:03 (Ref:1996862)   #38
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Bram
Who was? Nick was flooring it. Were it not for the camera crew on track driving in front of him for some 30 seconds each lap he could have broken the lap record. We took the time of the second run with under 7:30.
These were the first quotes I saw after the event. Two items to note, 'most' of the sim racing world will base time comparisions on the 1967 layout featured in Grand Prix Legends(GPL). Most of the current sim tracks at least start with GPL and then try and modernize.

So SImmers like me will be non-plussed by 8 minute laps. (not that I ever could achieve the Sub 8 times...lol!!!!)

but these were the first responses I read by some sim guys who are race fans as well. If I were Porsche, I'd copy the Rallye trick of super-imposing the two cars and show the Altzen Porsche(which at least LOOKS like a road car) vs the Sauber...

J

Post #7 So what was the time... i bet he was slower then Alzen

Post #8 8:34, on a 20.8 km track. Laaaaaaaaaaaame.
He was told several times on each of his 3 laps to slow down for photograps.
Top speed 275 km/h, Monaco setup eh?

Post #9 lololol... LAME!!! VERY LAME!

Post #10 It was a PR event, not a test to see how far he could shatter the Nordschleife laptimes.
BMW gave him an F1 car with a super-close transmission, "demonstration" (read: extremely, extremely hard) tires, and the ride height was maxed to avoid damaging the car on Nordschleife's bumpy-ass track.
Old 2 Sep 2007, 04:48 (Ref:2001663)   #39
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if you are to bring a 98 era champ car... with honda?

try the reynard honda, wasn't that Zanardi's 1000hp weapon of choice? then he went to williams in 99..and montoya came in to the 99 lola honda then it went to lola-toyota.
fricken hell- CART was a magnificent sounding and wickedly fast series....
Old 8 Sep 2007, 23:35 (Ref:2007182)   #40
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
So, I take it the Champcars took the lap records at Zolder and Assen? I was doing some checking, and the DP01 reset the qualifying lap record at Edmonton.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 03:00 (Ref:2007258)   #41
bil588
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehenrie
According to Wirth the Dp will. This was a situation Similar to the statement/question in post 16, why would they send the car just for publicity if they didn't want to do it right? Well they didn't NEED to do much to surpass an A1gp lap so why spend all that extra money?
That car was there to sell tickets, not to crush a lap record...if they really wanted to do that, they would have shown up with a 1998ish Lola and a Honda Powerplant.

Well, clearly the Champcar demo was just that, a skeleton crew and no real setup. Obviously Toyota was convinced that an F1 car was so much faster than other cars that use Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, that they saw no need to bring the 100 or so people that would normally accompany the car to an F1 weekend. Similarly, people were underwhelmed by the times set by the Sauber BMW when it made it's 3 or 4 laps around the Nordschleiffe.
High ride-heights, and Engine Limits prevented a true 'assault' on the course record. The cost of such an effort, just as Toyota at Laguna, far outweighs the publicity benefits.

I still say the car that Sebastien drove to eclipse the time set by the Toyota, would probably not pass race scrutineering. And they only reason they made the effort was because the bulk of the two day test was over, and Kelkoven probably paid for the extra effort. Certainly they would not have transported to Laguna the entire Y-N-H-L team just for an attempt to beat the F1 lap record. They were there, they were done, and somebody offered them them opportunity. A few tweeks from Cosworth, Red tires...who knows how much weight was removed and POOF! A lap record.

dave henrie
thanks for the official statement.

the Y part of Y/N/H/L will be no more.
Old 11 Nov 2007, 23:21 (Ref:2065266)   #42
bil588
Veteran

United States
Will Power sets track record at Surfers Paradise
(CART was there in 1991 and the previous track record was set in 2002)

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...e.asp?ID=12297

http://www.indy.com.au/

http://www.teamaustraliamotorsport.com/

---

Day-old track record broken by Will Power in Mexico City

http://champcarworldseries.com/News/...e.asp?ID=12366