Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jun 2010, 17:12 (Ref:2714408)   #76
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
But it surely increases chances of blowouts?

Selby
Maybe we are getting confused here between grip and structural integrity.

Anyway, Bridgestone reckon that Canada was a bit of a 'one-off' and that normal service will be resumed in Valencia.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 17:16 (Ref:2714410)   #77
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, but from Germany onwards they're taking softer tyres including the super-soft where appropriate.
Old 19 Jun 2010, 11:52 (Ref:2714675)   #78
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
What would I do?

If I had a free hand I would take back the 100year rights Bernie got from Max.

I would redistribute the earnings allocating maybe 20% to Bernies managment operations.
5% may go to an FIA trust for the development of other aspects of the sport and the balance 75% would go to the teams in a ratio of about 45% start/appearance/travel money and 30% as prize money spread amongst the top 10 teams at the end of the season.

I'd continue with the present tyre arrangements regarding the spread of compounds but make them all a little harder.

My third object would be to reduce aerodynamic grip. Basically a mandated front and rear wing producing about 50% of current downforce figures along with as much reduced drag as possible.
Maybe a standard underbody as well.
This would all tend to emphasise mechanical grip over aerodynamic grip. The object is to reduce grip, a reduction in corner speeds and to extend braking areas. investment into minute aerodynamic advantage would become more fruitless and systems involving increased mechanical grip through suspension design and equipment would be more useful.

We are enjoying a particularly great battle at the top of grand prix racing at present but I dont think it is down to the present regulations, its in spite of them.

Last edited by Teretonga; 19 Jun 2010 at 12:08.
Old 19 Jun 2010, 12:01 (Ref:2714679)   #79
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
What would I do?

if I had a free hand I would take back the 100year rights Bernie got from Max.

I would redistribute the earnings allocating maybe 20% to Bernies managment operations.
55 may go to an FIA trust for the development of other aspects of the sport and the balance 75% would go to the teams in a ratio of about 45% start/appearance/travel money and 30% as prize money spread amongst the top 10 teams at the end of the season.
If I had such a free hand, I'd abolish FOM/CVC/Bernie entirely. FOTA should take control of TV rights and production (under the proviso that the rights must be sold to FTA broadcasters where possible), the calendar (on the condition that the maintain races in traditional venues, not sure on exact phrasing). 15% of the revenues to go to the FIA for their road safety work, 70% to the teams as appearance fees (in equal shares), 15% to a fund for the development of motorsport.

But that isn't going to happen.
Old 19 Jun 2010, 13:29 (Ref:2714713)   #80
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would rewrite the chassis rules along the lines of the Delta Wing concept.

Obviously the open source aspect of the Delta Wing idea would be dropped and each team would have to build their own cars otherwise it wouldn't be F1.

Secondly I would widen the front track so it doesn't look phallic. This would necessitate increasing the required amount of horsepower to match current F1 speeds, i'm guessing 350-400bhp.

With regard to engines, I would have a fuel flow limit to keep them at the level of power mentioned above while encouraging a diversity of engines. Energy recovery systems would be permitted but for fuel efficiency purposes only (no push to pass).

Tyres would be non-spec and tyre changes would be banned during the race with the exception of a change of wether or a puncture.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 19 Jun 2010, 23:17 (Ref:2714891)   #81
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post
Tyres would be non-spec and tyre changes would be banned during the race with the exception of a change of wether or a puncture.
Could you explain what you mean by non spec please?
Old 20 Jun 2010, 02:34 (Ref:2714915)   #82
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Could you explain what you mean by non spec please?
I presume he means not a control tyre as we have now
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 20 Jun 2010, 08:44 (Ref:2714974)   #83
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Birddog07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AKA spec, I'm assuminbg that's what he means.
Old 20 Jun 2010, 11:00 (Ref:2715012)   #84
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The previously "banned" aero sproutings have now re-appeared on the front wings and behind the front wheels.

-Take a hammer to the lot of 'em, introduce rules stating you cannot have any aero pieces other than the front and rear wings, and even those have strict rules of surface area placements.

-Wider track - 2200mm

-Heavier cars - 700Kg min weight

-Smaller brake discs

-Remove "start map" from ecu, - to get cars spinning wheels at the start

-Wider rear tyres - 60mm wider than the fronts (whatever they may be)
Old 20 Jun 2010, 13:58 (Ref:2715076)   #85
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
The previously "banned" aero sproutings have now re-appeared on the front wings and behind the front wheels.

-Take a hammer to the lot of 'em, introduce rules stating you cannot have any aero pieces other than the front and rear wings, and even those have strict rules of surface area placements.

-Wider track - 2200mm

-Heavier cars - 700Kg min weight

-Smaller brake discs

-Remove "start map" from ecu, - to get cars spinning wheels at the start

-Wider rear tyres - 60mm wider than the fronts (whatever they may be)
The problem is though that spec is getting close to the IndyCar specification. The reason why the start map is there I guess is that the torque would cause the rears to spin for ages (see Monaco where cars can spin up to 3rd in the dry) which means race starts would be awfully cautious and/or wheelspin central, especially in the wet.

Could we add a mandatory American style burnout etc celebration? Always good to watch those, like when Kurt Busch does the whole lap in reverse!
Old 20 Jun 2010, 16:08 (Ref:2715120)   #86
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTeK View Post
The problem is though that spec is getting close to the IndyCar specification. The reason why the start map is there I guess is that the torque would cause the rears to spin for ages (see Monaco where cars can spin up to 3rd in the dry) which means race starts would be awfully cautious and/or wheelspin central, especially in the wet.

Could we add a mandatory American style burnout etc celebration? Always good to watch those, like when Kurt Busch does the whole lap in reverse!
I dont believe they had start maps back in 1996, remember @ Suzuka Villeneuve fluffing his start from 1st to be around 6th by turn 1?

Anyway, they wouldnt be spinning wheels for ages and ages, not unless they were really bad drivers.

Years ago at every start we used to see at least 1 or 2 cars getting too many revs and getting blue smoke from the tyres. When was the last time we saw a car light up its tyres and get smoke from them at the start?
Old 24 Jun 2010, 11:21 (Ref:2717350)   #87
S.Moss
Racer

England
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
S.Moss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Moss View Post
  • Diffuser simplified to only 4 tunnels. Similar to a sportscar so less dirty air.
Taking the underside of an Indy Car, how much more complex is an F1 car than an indy car. Also if F1 went to a similar concept would there be less dirty air? Indy cars seem to manage 200mph bumper to bumper without much aero push, why not F1?

Old 24 Jun 2010, 11:36 (Ref:2717358)   #88
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Taking the underside of an Indy Car, how much more complex is an F1 car than an indy car.
An F1 car is flat bottomed, no venturi tunnels, until you get to the diffusers which do the same job.

Old 24 Jun 2010, 14:08 (Ref:2717428)   #89
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Taking the underside of an Indy Car, how much more complex is an F1 car than an indy car. Also if F1 went to a similar concept would there be less dirty air? Indy cars seem to manage 200mph bumper to bumper without much aero push, why not F1?

Small single element front wing is not as badly effected by wake turbulence and loss of downforce as the mega complex multi element moveable front wing of an F1 car.
Old 25 Jun 2010, 08:53 (Ref:2717716)   #90
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Those pictures were taken at the Indy 500... A somewhat different aero set up to say, Monaco!

How about a ban on aero changes under the floor over a season? So you have to compromise the diffuser etc as it will be the same one at either Monaco, and Spa...