Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Jun 2010, 21:07 (Ref:2717079)   #26
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltb View Post
moveable rear wings are laughable, how many cars have lost so much rear grip while following a car that the back end has gone? I thought the drivers complained of a lack of front grip when in the tow! more rear grip will put the centre of pressure further to the rear, away from where it's needed.

they'e so blind to the issues it's unbelievable.
Not an issue in a straight line, which I presume is where it is meant to be used in order to reduce drag whilst following another car, giving an acceleration and top speed advantage. It should at least help cars stuck in the 'turbulent air' get through or at least closer on the straights.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 21:54 (Ref:2717112)   #27
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
Not an issue in a straight line, which I presume is where it is meant to be used in order to reduce drag whilst following another car, giving an acceleration and top speed advantage. It should at least help cars stuck in the 'turbulent air' get through or at least closer on the straights.
Exactly its trying to work-around the problem, rather than actually dealing with the issue of turbulant wake and the dominance of aero, which no one in F1 seems to have any desire to tackle with any sense of purpose.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 22:50 (Ref:2717133)   #28
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Exactly its trying to work-around the problem, rather than actually dealing with the issue of turbulant wake and the dominance of aero, which no one in F1 seems to have any desire to tackle with any sense of purpose.
Don't get me wrong, I agree there are more fundamental issues that need to be addressed. But until somebody does something about it, I'll happily accept a work around if it manages to improve the show a bit.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 00:08 (Ref:2717156)   #29
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Yes, it would seem that once again the WMSC/FOTA have failed to notice the 'Elephant in the room'.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 02:10 (Ref:2717180)   #30
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Yes, it would seem that once again the WMSC/FOTA have failed to notice the 'Elephant in the room'.
Fiddling while Rome burns!

What the hell does this following piece mean? (Probably more meaningful in the original
Greek!)

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/...picks-pirelli/
With immediate effect, it has been ruled that if a sample of fuel is required after a practice session the car concerned must have first been driven back to the pits under its own power.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 02:14 (Ref:2717181)   #31
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Saward also reported that an Extraordinary Meeting of the World Motor Sport Council has been called for Sept. last line.

any ideas what thats about?

Beginning of the Ski season?
Old 24 Jun 2010, 02:35 (Ref:2717186)   #32
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
I disagree totally.

If you changed the chassis rules you could have cars that were easily faster than GP2 cars with minimal downforce.

Say if F1 cars had; 2200mm wide wheel track, much wider rear tyres, slightly wider fronts, with "Monza" spec downforce levels, I think the cars would be faster than GP2 at every track.

What really gets me when I watch old footage of F1 cars say from 1990-1993, its how quick the cars are in slow corners, its not the fast stuff, but the slow - medium speed corners where the speed is.

You are absolutely right!
Pingguest's prediction that GP2 etc. would follow is also correct. With the rule changes proposed above actual racing and interest and spectators would return to the sport.

However the present order is determined to ruin GP racing, and only once they have milked it to death will they be forced to acknowledge that interest has indeed dropped and the sponsors have all walked.

Who will the next manufacturer to walk away be?
They only go when their involvement is no longer rewarding!
Old 24 Jun 2010, 07:23 (Ref:2717241)   #33
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yep, I remember Ross Brawn came out and said (probably a year or more now) that there really is no need for the vast downforce levels in F1.
Ross Brawn once called downforce the 'bane' of Formula 1.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 07:41 (Ref:2717250)   #34
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Saward also reported that an Extraordinary Meeting of the World Motor Sport Council has been called for Sept. last line.

any ideas what thats about?
Korea
Old 24 Jun 2010, 08:06 (Ref:2717265)   #35
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, it may well be to do with the Korean GP or potential lack of one.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 11:06 (Ref:2717342)   #36
neiltb
Racer

Scotland
toronto
neiltb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
So drivers get a couple of seconds of benefit after they are out of the tow. Pointless.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 12:13 (Ref:2717373)   #37
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltb View Post
So drivers get a couple of seconds of benefit after they are out of the tow. Pointless.
It'll also help them get INTO the tow. Not pointless at all, could well be the difference between a passing opportunity and simply being stuck in the dirty air.
Old 25 Jun 2010, 03:07 (Ref:2717652)   #38
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut
What the hell does this following piece mean? (Probably more meaningful in the original
Greek!)

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/...picks-pirelli/
With immediate effect, it has been ruled that if a sample of fuel is required after a practice session the car concerned must have first been driven back to the pits under its own power.
I am assuming it is a reaction to Lewis' car pushing escapades. Shame, really. I like it when that kind of thing happens, but, well, we can't have something unexpected and quite entertaining happen occasionally, .
Old 26 Jun 2010, 03:47 (Ref:2718054)   #39
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re USF1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6157 View Post
They're shut down, out of business, no assets to speak of.

What would be the purpose of punishing them?
The purpose is to ensure that FIA gets to block any legal challenge that can be mounted to get the entry money refunded.
Now we wouldn't want that money going towards unpaid employee wages or to unpaid suppliers would we?
Old 26 Jun 2010, 12:24 (Ref:2718190)   #40
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why should it even be considered that a team that enters a competition and fails to appear through their own incompetence should get its entry fee refunded?
Old 27 Jun 2010, 17:07 (Ref:2718734)   #41
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Agreed.

Someone has to kick Windsor and Anderson for that mess...
I don't see how the FIA can punish USF1, they've gone bust.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 22:28 (Ref:2718975)   #42
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I don't see how the FIA can punish USF1, they've gone bust.
Yeah, but anyway, they should do like they do in any other business...
Old 27 Jun 2010, 22:38 (Ref:2718981)   #43
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Yeah, but anyway, they should do like they do in any other business...
I suppose they could go after Anderson and Windsor.