Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 12 Dec 2007, 20:24 (Ref:2087457)   #1
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schedule

The FIA just listed CC as an international series with 12 races, no May-June Euro trip:

http://argent.fia.com/Web/fia-public.nsf/vcal/00.21/$File/2008INTSERIES.pdf

Now, on the OTHER calendar listing at the same site, it has the GP of Belgium F1 race listed on Tuesday, Sept. 16 and Assen's CC race on Sunday, Sept. 14.

Huh??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

The scuttlebutt has it that the ASNs for the May-June trip haven't signed off because promoters haven't been found. On the Assen, someone either made a mistake or a bunch of people are out of their minds.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 20:42 (Ref:2087466)   #2
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Spa is actually Sept 14th, the same day as Assen.

It would appear that these two events do not show up on FIA's schedule at this time.

May 30 - Jun 1: Champ Car Grand Prix of Belgium at Circuit Zolder
Circuit Zolder - Heusden-Zolder Belgium

Jun 6-8: Gran Premio Champ Car de España
Circuito de Jerez - Jerez Spain

Now as to what that means is purely speculative at this point.

Formula BMW Europe has 16 races scheduled, and only 3 on the FIA link.

LMS has 5 races scheduled, and only 4 on the FIA link....
Old 12 Dec 2007, 22:14 (Ref:2087518)   #3
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I oopsed. I was looking at the '07 F1 schedule and the '08 CC schedule. F1 is at Monza that weekend. Mark C. posted a rumor from Buddy Jobe, the formeer owner of Phoenix International Raceway, about the omission of the CC Euro swing for '08. He replied the FIA had requested some "minor information" and it's expected to be resolved soon. So much for "ironclad" schedules. The scuttlebutt tells me it ain't minor.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 22:14 (Ref:2087519)   #4
indycool
Veteran

I oopsed. I was looking at the '07 F1 schedule and the '08 CC schedule. F1 is at Monza that weekend. Mark C. posted a rumor from Buddy Jobe, the formeer owner of Phoenix International Raceway, about the omission of the CC Euro swing for '08. He replied the FIA had requested some "minor information" and it's expected to be resolved soon. So much for "ironclad" schedules. The scuttlebutt tells me it ain't minor.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 13:32 (Ref:2087956)   #5
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh dear. That feeling of deja vu strikes again. I think at this stage I'd settle for seeing any CCWS next season. Some entertaining races too would be nice, but I'll take anything.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 14:44 (Ref:2087995)   #6
indycool
Veteran

Confirmed -- FIA Turns Down 2 for Now

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/cham..._approval.html
Old 13 Dec 2007, 20:21 (Ref:2088180)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quite remarkable.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 21:59 (Ref:2090120)   #8
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
strange how the normal champ car crew havent posted on this but found plenty of time to post on the Scotty Sharp thread............hmmm, very odd!!

But I say, i really fear for this series next season, things are just all over the place

The top teams don't even have their drivers committed to 2008 never mind the mid grid foot soilders

another season of cancelled events? I can see it coming sadly
Old 16 Dec 2007, 22:03 (Ref:2090124)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, there will be a show for sure. They will make sure we have a grid of reasonably acceptable size and at least some events.

I just wish they could nail down some form of season-to-season consistency. Indycar is ridiculed, and very much in amongst the great AOWR decline and hardly succcessful, but it at least gives the impression of being organised. Champcar at the minute is seemingly knocked together a week before season start by a couple of monkeys in a pub corner.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 10:19 (Ref:2090408)   #10
jonesi
Rookie

jonesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradlin21
snip...The top teams don't even have their drivers committed to 2008 never mind the mid grid foot soilders snip...
I think there was a very obvious reason for that. Until recently there was a couple of top F1 talents up in the air as to where they were going next year. So Newman/Haas (which snatched up Nigel Mansell in a similar situation years ago) held off filling their top ride. Once they decide on a driver, I think 3 or 4 more deals will happen like dominoes. By mid Jan I think there will be about 12 announced rides, which is about normal now a days.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 14:22 (Ref:2090548)   #11
indycool
Veteran

That wasn't the case last year, jonesi. On topic, I understand the Jerez race has been approved and some are expecting Zolder to be approved today. I still have a feeling there's a problem with Zolder and Assen will be moved back to take over that date. Just IMO.

EDIT: Just checked FIA calendar. Jerez is on it. Zolder is not.

Last edited by indycool; 17 Dec 2007 at 14:28.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 16:09 (Ref:2090601)   #12
HCForums
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
HCForums should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
That wasn't the case last year, jonesi. On topic, I understand the Jerez race has been approved and some are expecting Zolder to be approved today. I still have a feeling there's a problem with Zolder and Assen will be moved back to take over that date. Just IMO.

EDIT: Just checked FIA calendar. Jerez is on it. Zolder is not.

That's from 14/12 and as you said they would look at the Euro races today (17/12).
Old 18 Dec 2007, 21:39 (Ref:2091561)   #13
indycool
Veteran

Tis the bewitching hour and no word from Europe on the Zolder date, the FIA reps that met Monday have peed on the fire and called in the dogs so we'll probably have a long wait now while CC tries to combine Assen and Jerez for one trip.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 22:44 (Ref:2091616)   #14
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Not being familiar with FIA procedures in this regard, do you mean IC that if the FIA has not approved the dates by now they won't be approved for 2008?

I did not realize there was a "drop-dead" date by which time approval must be obtained...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 09:10 (Ref:2091809)   #15
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't believe there is a final date by which time approval must be obtained although there are practical issues over when the World Motor Sports Council meet and can therefore approve this sort of thing, although fax votes and the like are far from unheard of.

My understanding to this is that a national series such as CC is not able to run more than 2 events outside of its jurisdiction except where consent has been given by the WMSC. I believe Canada is considered part of the same jurisdiction in this case, so historically the two races would have been Surfers and Mexico, leaving all European events requiring consent.

Unfortunately for us, the FIA will wish to protect their international series as being relatively unique so allowing a national series to become unofficially international might be seen as hurting their own brands. I can therefore easily see this being rejected. I have no idea as to what would be involved in applying for CC to become an international FIA sanctioned series nor the likelihood of any such request being granted.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 10:53 (Ref:2091849)   #16
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Thank you Mystery! That clears up my understanding of this a good bit.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 12:14 (Ref:2091907)   #17
indycool
Veteran

Good explanataion, Mystery.....heard this morning that CC was given a couple extra days and something will probably be announced today (Wednesday).
Old 19 Dec 2007, 12:39 (Ref:2091921)   #18
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
A good explanation but on reflection possibly a little misplaced because that FIA link a few posts up points out that CCWS is already an "international series".

Move along - nothing to see here.......
Old 19 Dec 2007, 16:46 (Ref:2092028)   #19
indycool
Veteran

http://www.pitstoptv.info/pitstop/?p=3651

It's in Belgian, but I saw a babelfish translation that the ASN was to be the original promoter but wanted CC to cut its 2.9 million demand by two-thirds and said no on Zolder, but CC reached agreement with Zolder to take the risk as promoter itself today, which was considered a drop-dead day, and the race will be announced (again) later today.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 18:39 (Ref:2092139)   #20
HCForums
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
HCForums should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Promoter RACE announced they quit on the project so now Zolder is the official promoter. Glad to hear we still have a race on.