Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 14 Apr 2010, 15:26 (Ref:2672683)   #51
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by herowassenna View Post
Smedley had to talk Massa through a poor period in the race. It's not the first time during their time together. Fair play to Massa, he always responds, but ...
When Hamilton is given pep talks on the radio, he's told the sector which he's losing time in, not about how to drive the car.
i dont see why this is a criticism of Massa or of any athlete for that matter. all athletes have coaches and trainers who give them advice when they are struggling. and really you said it yourself, he gets told something and he uses that advice to his advantage. but despite the positive results from it you are trying to turn it into a negative.
Old 14 Apr 2010, 21:38 (Ref:2672865)   #52
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Since when is Massa doing "as well as his team mate"? Have people been watching different races to me? He is only leading the championship by default. He was beaten by Alonso in Bahrain, he was untidy and erratic in Melbourne and struggled in Malaysia as well. Meanwhile, Alonso has been outstanding in all 3 races and is only not leading the championship because of his engine failure.
I agree that he's not driving as well as Alonso (who was unbelievable in Malaysia considering his gearbox problems), but you can't really argue with the consistency of the guy who's leading the championship without winning a race yet. I don't think he'll stay where he is, but if he keeps up a similar level of consistency throughout the season he'll be on for a decent championship result against very tough competition.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 14 Apr 2010, 22:00 (Ref:2672873)   #53
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We've had 3 races, though. You always get weird championship standings after the first couple of races, especially with this new system. It's just not representative so far - Hamilton has been better than Button but is behind, Alonso has been better than Massa but is behind, and Red Bull have the quickest car but are behind
Old 14 Apr 2010, 23:54 (Ref:2672909)   #54
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
It's just not representative so far - Hamilton has been better than Button but is behind, Alonso has been better than Massa but is behind, and Red Bull have the quickest car but are behind
I think that the whole point of having championships is to see who comes out as "better" or "quicker" over an entire season. But even then, there will be arguments.
Old 15 Apr 2010, 10:17 (Ref:2673056)   #55
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The points system is not a good method at seeing who is best. The only thing the points system is a good method of working out is to see who the champion is going to be. The champion is not always the best driver

Normal service will be resumed shortly
Old 15 Apr 2010, 10:58 (Ref:2673073)   #56
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
The points system is not a good method at seeing who is best.
I don't think that there is any system for finding the best driver, which is why we have so many driver threads I think.
Old 15 Apr 2010, 11:48 (Ref:2673093)   #57
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Super Hans made the point last year, which is a very good one I think, that the WDC goes to the best combination of car and driver.

That's why Button won last year and why, in my opinion, Vettel and Red Bull will win this year.
Old 15 Apr 2010, 12:33 (Ref:2673114)   #58
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
But the best driver and car rarely wins the WDC, it's normally the best car and driver......
Old 15 Apr 2010, 12:37 (Ref:2673115)   #59
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
If you're saying that the car is a bigger factor than the driver, then I would have to agree.
Old 15 Apr 2010, 12:37 (Ref:2673117)   #60
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Super Hans made the point last year, which is a very good one I think, that the WDC goes to the best combination of car and driver.

That's why Button won last year and why, in my opinion, Vettel and Red Bull will win this year.
Red Bull will look quite good if they find some extra percentage in their reliability
Old 15 Apr 2010, 13:45 (Ref:2673144)   #61
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
If you're saying that the car is a bigger factor than the driver, then I would have to agree.
Basically yes, although there have been a handful of ocassions when either best driver and best car won it (i'm thinking Alonso with Renault in 05/06), or even less ocassionally, the best driver won without the best car...... i'm thinking possibly Schu in 03 and Senna in '91 but i'm taking this waaaaay OT now apologies everyone!
Old 15 Apr 2010, 14:48 (Ref:2673169)   #62
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77 View Post
Red Bull will look quite good if they find some extra percentage in their reliability
I think they will. I think what we saw were 2 freak mechanical issues that very rarely crop up. I don't think it'll stop them

And for my money, the last driver to win the title without having the best car over the course of the whole season was Hamilton in 2008. Other than that, it's Prost in 86
Old 15 Apr 2010, 14:59 (Ref:2673172)   #63
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The WDC is a matter of consistency, being always at the top 4. It can change a little with the new system, but it will still be fundamental.
Old 15 Apr 2010, 22:33 (Ref:2673379)   #64
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
The champion is not always the best driver
Nice little dig at Jen's there

Lets look at the 4 champions before that, Michael, Fernando, Kimi and Lewis, which one wasn't part of the best driver brigade there?
Old 15 Apr 2010, 23:20 (Ref:2673398)   #65
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Uhn... let me see. Michael ? Nah, too cliche.
Old 15 Apr 2010, 23:48 (Ref:2673403)   #66
edu
Rookie

Brazil
São Paulo - BR
edu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Massa said goodbye to Villeneuve.
After to Schumacher.
After to Raikkonen.

Now Alonso's time. Goodbye Teflonso
Old 16 Apr 2010, 00:13 (Ref:2673409)   #67
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
It's interesting how Kubica is now being 'bigged up' as a replacement for Massa at the moment. This is Kubica that was where last season? And now finds himself out-pacing his team mate to a greater degree than Alonso out-paced his at Renault.

Williams are also said to be chuffed to bits with Barrichello, using phrases like "extremely fast" to describe him and Rosberg is currently 'sticking it' to a seven time WDC.

If there is a 'better' driver in F1, then it's not by very much.
Old 16 Apr 2010, 15:17 (Ref:2673706)   #68
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If this happens and Kubica leaves it will only further fuel the Webber to Renault rumors. Hence I am all for it.
Old 16 Apr 2010, 15:35 (Ref:2673720)   #69
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Basically yes, although there have been a handful of ocassions when either best driver and best car won it (i'm thinking Alonso with Renault in 05/06), or even less ocassionally, the best driver won without the best car...... i'm thinking possibly Schu in 03 and Senna in '91 but i'm taking this waaaaay OT now apologies everyone!
I can think of four ocaissions in the '70s when best driver and best car won it by a considerable margin. '71 Stewart and Tyrrell, '72 Fittipaldi and Lotus, '75 and '77 Lauda and Ferrari,
Old 16 Apr 2010, 17:23 (Ref:2673783)   #70
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I can think of four ocaissions in the '70s when best driver and best car won it by a considerable margin. '71 Stewart and Tyrrell, '72 Fittipaldi and Lotus, '75 and '77 Lauda and Ferrari,
Yes, I agree, but even accounting for them, it's still not all that often!!
Old 16 Apr 2010, 17:53 (Ref:2673797)   #71
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yes, I agree, but even accounting for them, it's still not all that often!!
True but then again I'm rather glad it's not that often, that's what makes one season stand out from another.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 16 Apr 2010 at 17:59.
Old 16 Apr 2010, 17:54 (Ref:2673798)   #72
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

So, basically we're doubting the credibility of the WDC... I think this is very subjective.

BUT

Why are we talking about this in a thread called "Massa losing Ferrari drive????????"

Oh, I think that won't happen, at least for the next 2 years. Have I already said that ?
Old 16 Apr 2010, 18:00 (Ref:2673804)   #73
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

I know, I know Bon, my fault. I couldn't resist the bait once we were off at a tangent!!

I suppose we could link back to the point by arguing that if Massa won the title in the Ferrari this year, he arguably would fall under that bracket of not best driver but in best car...

Oh dear, i'll get my coat.

Old 17 Apr 2010, 09:33 (Ref:2674102)   #74
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
if Massa won the title in the Ferrari this year, he arguably would fall under that bracket of not best driver but in best car...

Oh dear, i'll get my coat.

If Felipe wins the WDC this year, beating Fernando in equal equipment (and for the record, i very much doubt that he will) then he'd have to be put in the best driver catagory!
Old 17 Apr 2010, 10:23 (Ref:2674125)   #75
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
If Felipe wins the WDC this year, beating Fernando in equal equipment (and for the record, i very much doubt that he will) then he'd have to be put in the best driver catagory!
Hmmmm, but I would venture if he did win it, it would in all likelihood be because Alonso had had some problems preventing him doing so.

Massa is finding it very difficult to beat Alonso on pace over a race distance. To date he has only 'beaten' him when the Spaniard has had issues.