Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 May 2010, 06:31 (Ref:2701591)   #51
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyf14d View Post
After reading all the comments from the upper management of Red Bull I think it fair to say that they believe that Webber should have yielded to Vettel because Vettel was ahead at that moment. I also think that Vettel believed that his teamate was going to give him the room and the line otherwise he would not have continued to move right coming into the corner. If you subscibe to the "equality" camp than you have to assume team orders are to give each other racing room when dueling.

Now answer me this:

If Vettel gets by cleanly and later Webber gets a run on him in similar style, does Vettel yield the same as expected by Webber?

With Webber clearly ahead in the points how will Red Bull approach the rest of the year as there will be plenty of opportunity to direct more points to one driver over another?

Might we see Webber wearing Yellow this time next year?
If the team wants to achieve the best result, then YES, Vettel should yield to Webber, in that scenario.

i.e. if Webber did a Vettel, I would be taking Webber's side as clearly Vettel would be defending too aggressively, knowing full well that the passing opportunity was on.

There is no need to take out your teammate unless there are no team orders and it's every man for himself... which doesn't happen.
Old 31 May 2010, 08:05 (Ref:2701613)   #52
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is a key point - they were level on points going into the race, & both wanted to be ahead going into the back half of the season & thereby warrant the favourable treatment.
Old 31 May 2010, 09:31 (Ref:2701645)   #53
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
If Vettel is the favoured son, how come Mark had the new rear wing flown out this weekend?
Old 31 May 2010, 09:35 (Ref:2701646)   #54
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
If Vettel is the favoured son, how come Mark had the new rear wing flown out this weekend?
Because it was already on Mr Vettel's car...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 31 May 2010, 09:48 (Ref:2701649)   #55
Jacal
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Jacal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slightly off topic, and I'm only referring to the webber vettel battle.

Vettel 2 (Japan 2007, Turkey 2010)
Webber 0 (payback to come?)
Old 31 May 2010, 10:03 (Ref:2701657)   #56
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just watched the video several times and from in car with Webber he clearly makes a small move with the steering wheel towards Vettel just before they touch. Of course it may be that there has also been contact prior to that that is not visible from the available view. To be honest I do blame them both only because all contact should have been avoided, but there is clearly an undertone of distrust and perhaps dislike between them and maybe this was going to happen eventually.
Old 31 May 2010, 10:30 (Ref:2701665)   #57
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
but there is clearly an undertone of distrust and perhaps dislike between them and maybe this was going to happen eventually.
If they are simply two competitive drivers racing each other then any dislike or distrust wouldn't come into the equation - there would (or should) just be a healthy level of respect.

However, add a team structure and the possibility of team orders and distrust can be added to the equation..

When the BBC asked Whitmarsh who he blamed he simply said that he wouldn't have been cuddling Seb on the pit wall (or words to that effect) so he clearly saw that the driver attempting the pass was the one risking the one-two finish. I have to agree with that view and the fact that Horner was obviously angry with the drivers 'not giving each other enough room to race' was clearly a dig only at Webber - as Seb did not have any track to give room to Webber but Webber had track that he could give to Seb.

I think the body language from Horner says it all - what he had planned didn't come off and he was angry about it. I'm not sure who should learn most from this incident - the drivers or the team management........

Had Vettel slowed and continued on his very tight line into the corner Webber was poised for an immediate re-take as Vettel would have to run wide on the exit. IMHO both cars could have made the corner without incident had Seb not tried to force Webber over to the right at the last moment - and it wasn't a squeeze he did it was a very rapid movement, which I doubt Webber could have reacted to fast enough to avoid the collision which is why it happened.
Old 31 May 2010, 10:45 (Ref:2701670)   #58
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6
Webber has been clearly on top of GB the last few rounds and the only explanation for trying to put Vettel in front of the "journeyman" is that Knowesly is running the team.
I think all have the utmost respect for what Webber is doing.

His fans however...

If Webber continues in this vein life, will be very difficult for Vettel. He has had some bad luck this year but has let the frustration get to him. Not impressive at all.
Old 31 May 2010, 10:55 (Ref:2701677)   #59
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"If they are simply two competitive drivers racing each other then any dislike or distrust wouldn't come into the equation - there would (or should) just be a healthy level of respect.

However, add a team structure and the possibility of team orders and distrust can be added to the equation.."

I agree with that Phoenix. It was interesting to see the body language between Button and Hamilton at the end as they do seem to have a good relationship at the moment. Of course as the season goes on it's likely to come under more pressure especially if they are both in with a shout of the title. I think things at Red Bull could be very fraught from now on unless heads are banged together and issues sorted. Particularly because McLaren seem to be getting on the pace and could be serious title contenders.
Old 31 May 2010, 11:08 (Ref:2701681)   #60
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Horner gets a good nights sleep and takes another dig at Webber

Quote:
"It is right to let the drivers race - we saw McLaren letting their drivers race - but when drivers are in the same team it is important they give each other a bit more respect and concede if one has got a run on the other."
So they are blaming Webber

Thats it. I am off RBR. I liked their fresh faces and approach to racing. I am off to support Sauber and my boy Kobayashi With any luck RBR have a ****ful back half of the year and McLaren blow them away
Old 31 May 2010, 11:21 (Ref:2701688)   #61
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Politics. Meh!
Old 31 May 2010, 12:13 (Ref:2701709)   #62
Another Bob
Racer

Australia
The Land Of More Then One Crow
Another Bob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just went and had a look at the Red Bull Racing website.

You should see the hammering the comments section is giving Vettel, Horner and Red Bull over the bias against Webber!!!!

Talk about a marketing tool coming back to bite you on the ass.
Old 31 May 2010, 12:39 (Ref:2701716)   #63
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Mostly from Australians i'd imagine
Old 31 May 2010, 12:45 (Ref:2701718)   #64
pannenmann
Racer

Germany
Bavaria
pannenmann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRabbit View Post
Austrian owner with a German driver who is costing him at least 3 times what the old has-been does...but is losing...

Vettel's old car was broken? No it wasn't - they just wanted him in a new one and that was a convenient excuse as to why the Golden Child was getting one and the old boy wasn't.

Vettel went out last in quali when Webber was supposed to, prompting Webber to say at the press conference he'd be asking why that happened.

Vettel got to pit first in the race from third place.

Vettel gets to keep engine revs whilst Mark is told to turn it down. The whole 'fuel-consumption' argument may have retained some element of believability....if Horner didn't lie about it first.

It's as blatant a case of favouritism as you'd ever want - and Webbo is prevailing...loving it!
Agreed except for the first part. Germans and Austrians usually don't get along that well in general. So playing the Nation / ethnic card is too simple. Especially as no sane and successful business man would rely his decisions on such matters I hope.

But I do think the ability to communicate in each other's mother tongue will give you an advantage. It has psychological issues, you probably feel more comfortable around him and you can communicate in more efficient and also informal, emotion driven way. Sipping a beer and just chit chatting along is more easy in the mother tongue and things like this creates bonds, on a subconcious level. Why do you think Michael learned Italian when he joined Ferrari?

But the reason might also be another one: How long will Webber stay at RBR and how long will Vettel stay? How big is the market in Germany for F1 and compared to Australia? From a racing point of view, Webber should be treated equally or even given advantage. But we don't really know what the plans of RBR are when it comes to business and mid/long term strategy.
Old 31 May 2010, 12:55 (Ref:2701727)   #65
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that its not about Vettel speaking the same language as the team owner, its about selling energydrinks in the most populous country in Europe.
Old 31 May 2010, 13:39 (Ref:2701748)   #66
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australia should boycott and ban imports of Redbull lol
Old 31 May 2010, 14:59 (Ref:2701841)   #67
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF_Racer View Post
Australia should boycott and ban imports of Redbull lol
And start driving more Renault's or smoking more Marlboro's.
Old 31 May 2010, 15:01 (Ref:2701842)   #68
neiltb
Racer

Scotland
toronto
neiltb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if RBR really wants to favour SV, expect a mid 90's Beneton structure at the next race. Teams can make you as slow as they want.
Old 31 May 2010, 15:06 (Ref:2701847)   #69
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Well, they can, but Benetton weren't terribly interested in winning the constructors championship back then. Not sure if that holds true for a soft drinks company as much as it did for a clothing manufacturer ?
Old 31 May 2010, 15:25 (Ref:2701854)   #70
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltb View Post
if RBR really wants to favour SV, expect a mid 90's Beneton structure at the next race. Teams can make you as slow as they want.
And they can certainly give you the boot if you're quick enough to match the star German, as Brundle found out
Old 31 May 2010, 16:38 (Ref:2701886)   #71
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Mostly from Australians i'd imagine
Not necessarily, surely? I'm a Brit and I have no doubts at all where I stand on this one - as I suspect, do the majority of those who viewed the incident.
Old 31 May 2010, 18:14 (Ref:2701918)   #72
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh they are getting slammed on the comments sections on the Red Bull Racing site, even talk of a Red Bull boycott. I think i will as it will be no problem for me as i wouldn't thank you for the stuff.
Old 31 May 2010, 19:24 (Ref:2701968)   #73
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways View Post
Oh they are getting slammed on the comments sections on the Red Bull Racing site, even talk of a Red Bull boycott. I think i will as it will be no problem for me as i wouldn't thank you for the stuff.
Fo' sho! Tastes like the ceiling in a dentist's waiting room. Cha'mone.
Old 31 May 2010, 20:20 (Ref:2702017)   #74
Venom XR
Racer

Australia
Venom XR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Red Bull's marketing department had any sense, they'd support Mark this season. What better way to hammer home the concept of Red Bull 'giving you wings' than to have a 'old guy' win his first WDC in their cars?

Vettel is young, and has years ahead of him to win multiple WDCs.
Old 31 May 2010, 20:24 (Ref:2702022)   #75
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!

Red Bull Gives You Wins!