Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jun 2010, 18:26 (Ref:2710098)   #51
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
heh... I don't think I could come up with simpler circuit - hairpin, chicane, chicane, chicane, chicane, hairpin, chicane. For the most part, all of those corners are determined by the unnatural layout of the island (it's man made). The environment means the tarmac requires regular resurfacing, and is still probably the worst of any GP circuits. There is very little run off, and mistakes are usually punished. Yet it usually seems to produce some of most exciting racing of the season. Perhaps Tilke tries to hard...

Amazing qualifying... great lap for Lewis. It was hilarious seeing him hop out of his moving car and push it down the back straight. I can only imagine what the FIA official told him when they arrived - "get the ^%#$ in the car!"... I hope he doesn't get any kind of punishment for not following protocol. If F1 needs anything, it's fewer people following their protocols.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 12 Jun 2010, 18:33 (Ref:2710102)   #52
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That was exciting stuff. I've always liked this track; Tilke could learn a thing or two. It's good to see it's back; why did it go away last year?
I think it's a great track, nothing fancy but it has four great things going for it:

1. It's got bumps
2. Mistakes are punished
3. It's different in character to most of the others
4. It's instantly recognisable on the telly

Any track with 1 to 3 will always be interesting, granted number four doesn't actually affect the racing but it's great to be reminded of all the races and incidents over the years as soon as you see the track and the cars start to circulate.

Sorry didn't answer the question think it has something to do with politics, Bernie and money but not necessarily in that order but it sure is good to see it back.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 18:36 (Ref:2710106)   #53
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
Sorry didn't answer the question think it has something to do with politics, Bernie and money but not necessarily in that order but it sure is good to see it back.
It was the last two mainly...and in that order.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 12 Jun 2010, 18:41 (Ref:2710110)   #54
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
It was the last two mainly...and in that order.
Typical.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 19:51 (Ref:2710168)   #55
blaffer
Racer

Belgium
Antwerp
blaffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Awful performance by Mercedes GP. Beaten by all its customer teams. I wonder what the German press will say about that.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 20:31 (Ref:2710186)   #56
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Easier to get temp into the soft tyres than the hards - the warmup lap is going to be critical.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 20:38 (Ref:2710197)   #57
ukaskew
Racer

ukaskew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I worry we've not heard the last of Quali yet, but really hope the result stands. Ironically the 'situation' has been caused by McLaren being super cautious...but surely even if they risked letting him completely run out they could still find more than enough in the tank for a sample?

Nice moment with him coasting then pushing the car anyhow, probably 'frowned upon' by the FIA, but in my opinion it's the sort of thing F1 needs more of.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 20:56 (Ref:2710222)   #58
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Amazing qualifying... great lap for Lewis. It was hilarious seeing him hop out of his moving car and push it down the back straight. I can only imagine what the FIA official told him when they arrived - "get the ^%#$ in the car!"... I hope he doesn't get any kind of punishment for not following protocol. If F1 needs anything, it's fewer people following their protocols.
'F1' themed supermarket launched with realistic trolleys.

Old 12 Jun 2010, 21:09 (Ref:2710230)   #59
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is that the new beer cart for labbatt? oh yeah, how hamilton do that.
?
Old 12 Jun 2010, 21:09 (Ref:2710231)   #60
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukaskew View Post
I worry we've not heard the last of Quali yet, but really hope the result stands. Ironically the 'situation' has been caused by McLaren being super cautious...but surely even if they risked letting him completely run out they could still find more than enough in the tank for a sample?

Nice moment with him coasting then pushing the car anyhow, probably 'frowned upon' by the FIA, but in my opinion it's the sort of thing F1 needs more of.
I was worried about that, too, but nothing has been said so I think it must be OK.

Hamilton's on-board lap was spectacular to watch.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 21:30 (Ref:2710263)   #61
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I was worried about that, too, but nothing has been said so I think it must be OK.

Hamilton's on-board lap was spectacular to watch.
looks like the big bad FIA got him on something in the end

$10k and a whack on the knuckles for 'being too slow'

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84404
Old 12 Jun 2010, 21:46 (Ref:2710276)   #62
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
jonboy1066 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Good grief

Perry McCarthy
Old 12 Jun 2010, 21:52 (Ref:2710279)   #63
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolddustMini View Post
looks like the big bad FIA got him on something in the end

$10k and a whack on the knuckles for 'being too slow'

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84404
That's a lot better than I feared it might be.

As an aside, I didn't see P3, because I was watching Le Mans, but apparently Lewis damaged the car quite badly when he "lightly brushed the wall" according to autosport.com. Apparently the front and rear suspension on the right-hand side had to be replaced, which is why he quite rightly gave a mention to the team afterwards.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 22:01 (Ref:2710289)   #64
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i didnt see lewis hit the wall, i saw webber give it a fair whack
Old 12 Jun 2010, 22:31 (Ref:2710330)   #65
ukaskew
Racer

ukaskew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Madness, they want to 'improve the show', but will punish anyone who does anything remotely interesting. Sure if he was a danger to marshals, spectators or himself then come down on him hard, but compared to, say, Barrichello and his steering wheel incident at Monaco, this seems very trivial.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 22:37 (Ref:2710346)   #66
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!

That's one way getting heat into the tyres.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 22:50 (Ref:2710364)   #67
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sorry, didn't got all the way through qually, watched to see the fastest laps and then switched back to LM ( have to catch up on the last 10 hours of the race). What happened to LH, did he break on the cool-down lap and will have to start in pitlane or was it not that bad?
Old 12 Jun 2010, 22:52 (Ref:2710366)   #68
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Sorry, didn't got all the way through qually, watched to see the fastest laps and then switched back to LM ( have to catch up on the last 10 hours of the race). What happened to LH, did he break on the cool-down lap and will have to start in pitlane or was it not that bad?
What are you watching LM on?
Old 13 Jun 2010, 00:38 (Ref:2710424)   #69
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What happened to LH, did he break on the cool-down lap and will have to start in pitlane or was it not that bad?
He's fine, just ran out of fuel. He'll still be on pole.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 00:59 (Ref:2710439)   #70
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The greatest invention ever, the HD/DVR. Slowly gettin caught up but im gonna miss the 6 hours that were online though.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 01:35 (Ref:2710448)   #71
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
The greatest invention ever, the HD/DVR. Slowly gettin caught up but im gonna miss the 6 hours that were online though.
I've never heard of HD/DVR, do they stream LM?
Old 13 Jun 2010, 08:53 (Ref:2710739)   #72
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm just realising that as Fisi and Gene are doing Le Mans this weekend who is Ferrari's reserve? Is it Badoer?! Bianchi possibly?
Old 13 Jun 2010, 09:48 (Ref:2710815)   #73
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
Quote:
I've never heard of HD/DVR, do they stream LM?
He means he's recorded it on his hard drive recorder... bit like my screen grab above of Lewis in Tesco. Not sure who's showing LeMans.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 10:08 (Ref:2710839)   #74
stark
Rookie

stark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukaskew View Post
Totally agree - it added an 'extra story' to qualifying. Come Monday everyone (not obsessed with the football) will be asking each other "Did you see Hamilton on the F1 pushing his car" = more exposure for F1. Plus it didn't take that long for him to get back so whats the problem? I bet before yesterday a lot of viewers probably didnt realise that the teams need to carry out fuel samples and now know a bit more about the sport because of the incident...
Old 13 Jun 2010, 12:12 (Ref:2710983)   #75
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo View Post
He means he's recorded it on his hard drive recorder... bit like my screen grab above of Lewis in Tesco. Not sure who's showing LeMans.
LM is being shown on Eurosport. Less than one hour to go.