Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jun 2010, 12:46 (Ref:2711011)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BBC's Andrew Benson on Twitter : KERS and adjustable rear wings next year

Quote:
Looks like adjustable rear wings to help overtaking and more powerful than 2009 Kers will be in for 2011, Ross Brawn confirmed today
We don't have the proposed implementations, but ... thoughts? I hope rather than as a gimmick, the rear wings are just done like the current movable front wings.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 13:19 (Ref:2711041)   #2
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
We don't have the proposed implementations, but ... thoughts? I hope rather than as a gimmick, the rear wings are just done like the current movable front wings.
Just a little bit more of the same?
Old 13 Jun 2010, 13:40 (Ref:2711059)   #3
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, that rather than any proximity based system which there was some talk about.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 14:58 (Ref:2711135)   #4
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Yeah, that rather than any proximity based system which there was some talk about.
What about getting rid of a flawed concept?
For some inspiration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZX63o64mo

Old 13 Jun 2010, 18:22 (Ref:2711306)   #5
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
KERS is allowed this year, it is just FOTA agreed not to use it. So, in other words, FOTA have agreed it is cool to use it again.

Or am I confused, and KERS is in fact not allowed by the current regs?
Old 13 Jun 2010, 18:31 (Ref:2711318)   #6
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
KERS is allowed this year, it is just FOTA agreed not to use it. So, in other words, FOTA have agreed it is cool to use it again.

Or am I confused, and KERS is in fact not allowed by the current regs?
Yeah, it's a FOTA agreement not to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
What about getting rid of a flawed concept?
For some inspiration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZX63o64mo

It's not a sensible idea to look at Formula Ford - the motorsport version of Heartbeat* - for aero ideas. Do we really want to see F1 cars that are slower than F3 machinery? Formula Ford races are generally so exciting due to the closely matched machinery, not the aero regs. The selection of circuits doesn't help, the problem in Bahrain was Bahrain.

* The TV series that needs pensioning off where it's been the 1960s for eighteen years
Old 13 Jun 2010, 20:09 (Ref:2711421)   #7
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
It's not a sensible idea to look at Formula Ford - the motorsport version of Heartbeat* - for aero ideas. Do we really want to see F1 cars that are slower than F3 machinery? Formula Ford races are generally so exciting due to the closely matched machinery, not the aero regs. The selection of circuits doesn't help, the problem in Bahrain was Bahrain.

* The TV series that needs pensioning off where it's been the 1960s for eighteen years
Rory Byrne once said that the GP2-cars would be faster if Formula 1 would get rid of downforce, as if Formula 1 would keep a very little it might still be faster. Any way, GP2 and Formula 3 are feeder series. If Formula 1 decides to get rid of a flawed concept, it would be very illogical for the feeder series to follow suit.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 08:23 (Ref:2711717)   #8
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
So, what do we rekon on this guys? Anyone got any more info?

It sounded gimmicky at first, but i'd really want to see it demonstrated between 2 evenly matched cars. I had a dream Lewis did this last night with a Ferrari

Selby
Old 14 Jun 2010, 09:36 (Ref:2711750)   #9
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
I am totally with Pinguest on this one!
I do not car what the ultimate lap speed is, but care desperately how good the wheel to whel racing is.

This is just the aerodynamicists of the OWG and taking the p again!
Old 14 Jun 2010, 11:49 (Ref:2711821)   #10
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
So, what do we rekon on this guys? Anyone got any more info?

It sounded gimmicky at first, but i'd really want to see it demonstrated between 2 evenly matched cars. I had a dream Lewis did this last night with a Ferrari

Selby
A while ago I heard that next year's KERS might have double the output energy, meaning it would be more time but not necessarily more power.

The adjustable rear wing could help, but I'm not so sure about the rest of the package. I'd like to see these outwash front wings dealt with, they are supposedly a problem. We don't need to over-dramatise this, it's nowhere near as dull as Bahrain was.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 11:43 (Ref:2712513)   #11
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Birddog07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anything mentioned on the banning of double diffusers and less aero?
Old 15 Jun 2010, 11:58 (Ref:2712521)   #12
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
DDDs will be banned next year, and the diffuser height reduced significantly.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 13:00 (Ref:2712552)   #13
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Sadly, I havn't heard any developments on aero cuts. I don't think there will be any.

Selby
Old 15 Jun 2010, 13:08 (Ref:2712559)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
DDDs are definitely for the chop next season and the diffuser height will also be reduced by 25mm.

Hopefully the adjustable wings and KERS will also come in, but both systems need to make more of a difference than the previous KERS and moveable aero systems have done.

Maybe also some form of equivellance formula. So, for instance if you don't have KERS you can have more engine rpm instead.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 13:22 (Ref:2712572)   #15
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
That'd be interesting.

I still think Mosley's idea the other year was decent - the whole budget cap/limited work on car comprimise was really interesting.

Selby
Old 15 Jun 2010, 13:49 (Ref:2712586)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
That'd be interesting.

I still think Mosley's idea the other year was decent - the whole budget cap/limited work on car comprimise was really interesting.

Selby
It was, and what a lot of people didn't understand about the budget cap was that the cap itself only restricted the spending on the cars. McLaren, Ferrari etc could still spend millions and millions on everything else (drivers, hospitality, watches etc) if they wanted to, and we could now be watching cars with much more innovative thinking behind them. Oh well, it's not too bad as it is I suppose.
Old 16 Jun 2010, 10:45 (Ref:2713086)   #17
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
A budget cap on the cars would be nice, 10,000 Euros for a tenth is rediculous. And what ever happened to smooth body work of 2009? We're starting to see shark gills, shark fins, winglets, side mirror posts (where most of the cars had them mounted before the ban, yet the ugly aero pieces still remain), and wing sizes need to return to normal, perhaps a wider tire next too.
Old 16 Jun 2010, 11:07 (Ref:2713101)   #18
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog07 View Post
A budget cap on the cars would be nice, 10,000 Euros for a tenth is rediculous. And what ever happened to smooth body work of 2009? We're starting to see shark gills, shark fins, winglets, side mirror posts (where most of the cars had them mounted before the ban, yet the ugly aero pieces still remain), and wing sizes need to return to normal, perhaps a wider tire next too.
Check out my 'What would you do to F1?' reply 1st page

Selby
Old 16 Jun 2010, 12:15 (Ref:2713132)   #19
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Read and noted. I've copy pastaed my ideas in aswell as posted some about the tracks.
Old 16 Jun 2010, 12:58 (Ref:2713147)   #20
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
If F1 is losing the DDD, then the adjustable rear wing is just a way of clawing back the downforce they have lost and shedding drag on the straight. Also code for: we managed to get more downforce than we can use from the front wing and want an extra aero device to balance the car so we can use it.
This will actually make the front wing more sensitive to wake turbulence as it will be expected to generate more downforce in clean air!

Time to make the front wing single element, constant chord, only as wide as the width between the front wheels, and hopefully spec!
Old 17 Jun 2010, 01:09 (Ref:2713474)   #21
neiltb
Racer

Scotland
toronto
neiltb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
If F1 is losing the DDD, then the adjustable rear wing is just a way of clawing back the downforce they have lost and shedding drag on the straight. Also code for: we managed to get more downforce than we can use from the front wing and want an extra aero device to balance the car so we can use it.
This will actually make the front wing more sensitive to wake turbulence as it will be expected to generate more downforce in clean air!

Time to make the front wing single element, constant chord, only as wide as the width between the front wheels, and hopefully spec!
and then rear dforce will be sized to balance, moveable doesn't work if both drivers can use it.
Old 17 Jun 2010, 13:16 (Ref:2713696)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
KERS to make bigger difference next year.

But not as much as hoped, and some are not happy.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84543
Old 17 Jun 2010, 13:37 (Ref:2713709)   #23
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Hmm so judging by that, it'll last longer, but no more powerful. I suppose its a variable for next season. We saw some interesting battles between the KERS and non-KERS cars. Be interesting to see what teams try and build their car around the system, or which decide that KERS isn't for them. I'd be surprised to see anybody try and juggle to two.

Selby
Old 17 Jun 2010, 16:18 (Ref:2713788)   #24
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe it has been mentioned but what about discrepancy between the 1 million KERS system that the private teams can buy and the 5 mill cap that the bigger teams will be working with. I can only see this exacerbating the speed differential that we currently have.

Am I missing something?
Old 17 Jun 2010, 21:26 (Ref:2713979)   #25
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
Maybe it has been mentioned but what about discrepancy between the 1 million KERS system that the private teams can buy and the 5 mill cap that the bigger teams will be working with. I can only see this exacerbating the speed differential that we currently have.

Am I missing something?
Thats something I thought of too.

I hope KERS makes a successful comback - I still feel it was never showed its full potential.

(Plus, what is essentially a nitrous boost fits in with my idea of a more videogamey F1 hehe )