Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jun 2010, 11:54 (Ref:2711824)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What would you do to F1?

A homage to the threads in other forums (Sportscar, touring car). What technical and sporting regulations changes do you think would be good for F1 for 2011, 2012 and 2013? My ideas in a while.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 12:00 (Ref:2711829)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
*Fat rear tyres
*Drop the top 10 qualifying/tyre ruling
*Ban shark fin engine covers
*Simplify the front wings/make them less wide
*Ban those vanes in front of the air intakes on the side pods
*Make tyres marginal such as in Canada
*Ban DDD's

I'm not too fussed about a return to KERS, and i'm also not convinced the whole adjustable rear wing is the way forward, either.

Selby
Old 14 Jun 2010, 12:10 (Ref:2711842)   #3
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ban rules!
Old 14 Jun 2010, 12:14 (Ref:2711847)   #4
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Make them look like race cars, not caricatures on wheels.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 12:27 (Ref:2711864)   #5
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Make them look like race cars, not caricatures on wheels.
I actually think that getting rid of the shark fins, the vanes next to the side pods, reducing the front wing, and sticking some fat rears on it would make for a quite handsome modern day F1 car.

What's that I can hear....? Photoshop....??

Selby
Old 14 Jun 2010, 12:30 (Ref:2711866)   #6
Matador
Racer

Matador should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*ditch the stupid two compound tyre rule
*point for fastest lap/pole position
*Cap ridiculous driver salaries

*new engine formula, open regulations, development permitted (in regulated areas).
*wider rear wings

F1 is in a conundrum. It needs to remain cost controlled (Though I honestly think if you want to be at the top you should have to pay to play), but it still needs to be the pinnacle of racing technology and the fastest racing series there is (re:more technical innovation and not so much stifling regulations please). It should NOT become a spec series. At the same time, it needs to be more entertaining, with closer racing, more passing and be accessible to casual followers as well as us fanatics.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 13:09 (Ref:2711888)   #7
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Here's what the cars would look like with my little tinkers :P

Before

After
By ImageHousing.com

Selby
Old 14 Jun 2010, 13:12 (Ref:2711891)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
Ban rules!
There was a time when the only rule was engine size with or without a "compressor", but then people started getting clever.

An interesting history of F1 regs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...ne_regulations

Less downforce and well thought out tyre regs would be a good thing.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 13:19 (Ref:2711894)   #9
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post

An interesting history of F1 regs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...ne_regulations
Interesting indeed.

Quote:
Engine specs allowed amended to 500 cc compressed engine or 3000 cc normally aspirated engine, minimum weight set at 530 kg, safety bladder fuel cell tanks introduced, report published on track standards, recommends straw bales be banned, double guard rails in place, 3 metre grass verges, spectators to be kept a minimum of 3 metres behind guard railings, barrier between pit lane and track as well as track width, surface and gradient recommendations and mandatory FIA inspections of track facilities.[15]
I wonder how tight those regs were on the track design...? Especially in comparison to today's standards.

Selby
Old 14 Jun 2010, 13:40 (Ref:2711912)   #10
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Another interesting bit:

Quote:
27 corners identified as very high risk and as a result changes to circuit layouts implemented to remove or modify these parts of the track.
What were those 27 corners?

Selby
Old 14 Jun 2010, 13:57 (Ref:2711928)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post

What were those 27 corners?

Selby
Answers on a postcard to......

History of F1 tech regs in slightly more detail.

http://www.f1technical.net/topics/30

It's always interesting to know where you've come from so that you have a better idea of where you're going.

This is interesting.

http://www.f1technical.net/articles/20
Old 14 Jun 2010, 14:02 (Ref:2711929)   #12
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Also, sorry if i've blown this page up (not with explosives... just jpegs). I didn't mean to! *begs*

Selby
Old 14 Jun 2010, 14:06 (Ref:2711933)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Also, sorry if i've blown this page up (not with explosives... just jpegs). I didn't mean to! *begs*

Selby

Nice pics! But you seem to have left the wings on? *hint*
Old 14 Jun 2010, 16:15 (Ref:2712030)   #14
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Getting rid of wings is ridiculous for several reasons, just as ridiculous as suggesting American football should get rid of the past. Even though they haven't always been there F1 wouldn't be F1 without wings in the same way that American football wouldn't be American football without the forward pass.

I'd go for the following changes. They wouldn't all be able to be done for 2011, but some would be for 2012. The new powertrains could come in for 2013 if 2012 is too soon.

Aerodynamics

• No outwash front wings, front wing adjustability scrapped. Front wing to be generally simplified
  • No shark fins, no sidepod vanes.
  • Wider bodywork between front and rear axles.

Powertrain and electronics

• Four or six cylinder 1800cc turbo engine with engine speed and turbo pressure limits - if these don't keep power to reasonable, we'll just have to start playing around with intake restrictions. Three year engine freeze as per current rules. Five engines per season in the first year, then four thereafter.
  • KERS as an integral part of the powertrain rather than just a bolted on kit, at a higher level than now.
  • Standard telemetry system, with the FOM TV crew having full access to it.

Wheels and tyres

• Overall front wheel size to remain at 660mm diameter and 355m wide, but on 15 inch rims. Rear wheels to become 748mm diameter 380mm wide, 17 inch rims. This means slightly lower profile tyres (but not paint-on types like Michelin whinged for), the same overall size at the front and larger rear wheels.

Sporting regulations

• Return to 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 points system,
  • Give the bottom three teams on a three year WCC average extra testing.
  • Remove two types of tyre rule, but generally make the tyres quite soft, like they were in Canada.
  • No car may be refuelled during a qualifying component.
  • Scrap the same set of tyres in Q3 rule.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2712046)   #15
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
Getting rid of wings is ridiculous for several reasons, just as ridiculous as suggesting American football should get rid of the past. Even though they haven't always been there F1 wouldn't be F1 without wings in the same way that American football wouldn't be American football without the forward pass.
Quite agree with this wings are here to stay although we don't necessarily need current downforce levels.

As to the rest of your list duke_toaster I agree with every word, this is as well thought out a plan for the technical future of F1 as I have seen anywhere
Old 14 Jun 2010, 17:06 (Ref:2712060)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Like your ideas Duke with the exception of your support of the world engine formula.

We surely don't want top level single seater racing to sound like either F2 or GP3?

We want serious engine sounds and ideally a selection of different ones even though I know it's probably not eco friendly!
Old 14 Jun 2010, 17:26 (Ref:2712071)   #17
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Like your ideas Duke with the exception of your support of the world engine formula.

We surely don't want top level single seater racing to sound like either F2 or GP3?

We want serious engine sounds and ideally a selection of different ones even though I know it's probably not eco friendly!
It's not the world engine formula - I've gone for larger engines (1800cc, as 1600cc is too small for something to realistically push out 750hp or so), and allowing six cylinder engines. Obviously, if a manufacturer goes down the inline four option they have the option to share a number of parts from that engine, which isn't a bad thing.

Even so, a V6 1800cc engine pushing out these power levels at these RPMs will sound far different from that god-awful lawnmower motor in that god-awful GP3 Series machinery.

The World Engine Formula as a concept isn't a bad one, I'm just not sure about the reliability of 1600cc motors under high stresses.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 17:40 (Ref:2712084)   #18
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What would I do to F1?

Get rid of it and start again
Old 14 Jun 2010, 18:46 (Ref:2712118)   #19
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
More Tilke tracks.
More durable tires.
No Tire war.
More standardized components.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 19:16 (Ref:2712148)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have every race at Montreal.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 19:59 (Ref:2712178)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Put it on a minority satellite channel and make it HD.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 20:04 (Ref:2712182)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And widescreen. Which is hand in hand with HD anyways, but I just wanted to get that dig in.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 20:25 (Ref:2712192)   #23
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
No need for minority satellite channels, BBC HD is perfectly good enough.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 21:09 (Ref:2712220)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nah, I would like it to be on a channel that not everyone watches. Of course this is subject to the quality being as good (which may not follow).
Old 14 Jun 2010, 21:17 (Ref:2712225)   #25
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IF I were to change it, F1 would end up witht hese new bits:

> Simple aerodynamic devices, ground effect reintroduced to aid back-to-back racing;
> More open engine rules, give them a certain amount of fuel and see what they come up with;
> Move the USGP to a proper venue (the Glen) and get rid of Bahrain;
> Marginal tyres (inc. tyre war) and dump that stupid forced tyre for the top 10 rule;
> At least 1 oval race for the hell of it ;
> Re-introduction of chosing your own number, every other major sport has this so why not F1?
> Open up testing, we saw with Badoer last year how crazy it is without it;

AND

> Give us HD so the coverage is no longer more lo-tech than NASCAR coverage!