Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jun 2010, 18:16 (Ref:2716456)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
WMSC meeting tomorrow, tyre deal up for grabs + rule changes

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84678

So, Autosport are reporting

• A tyre deal that could be done, or failing that a tender - we'll see
  • Junking the movable front wings and going to movable rear wings - a good move that maybe should have been done for 2009.
  • Finally banning F-Ducts for 2011 - hooray!
  • Tweaking the safety car regs over Schumi's incident - presumably meaning clarifying that it isn't legal.
  • Possible punishment for USF1 - don't know if they could get any, but I'd like it to be Pain Train levels.
Old 22 Jun 2010, 21:36 (Ref:2716576)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why should USF1 be punished and why should F-Ducts being banned be celebratory?
Old 22 Jun 2010, 22:20 (Ref:2716600)   #3
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
I hope the rumour about banning moveable front wings, DDDs and f-ducts is correct!

I don't think they should have moveable rear wings either.
Single element spec wings with a full length plank would be a good start.
Take a hammer to all the trim tabs on the bodywork

The less aero the better the racing!
Old 22 Jun 2010, 22:45 (Ref:2716611)   #4
Racer

6157 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Punishing USF1 only serves to increase the ego and self-importance of the FIA.

Who are they going to punish? The two janitors and secretary that work there now? If that.

Unless they're bound by the contract, this is one time I'd like to see Windsor and Anderson tell the FIA to stick it.
Old 22 Jun 2010, 22:51 (Ref:2716617)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Why should USF1 be punished and why should F-Ducts being banned be celebratory?
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6157 View Post
Punishing USF1 only serves to increase the ego and self-importance of the FIA.

Who are they going to punish? The two janitors and secretary that work there now? If that.

Unless they're bound by the contract, this is one time I'd like to see Windsor and Anderson tell the FIA to stick it.
Someone has to kick Windsor and Anderson for that mess...
Old 23 Jun 2010, 00:10 (Ref:2716632)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
According to this article: http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns22356.html, KERS will not be compulsary or of any more benefit than it was previously, plus it will also still disadvantage heavier drivers.. There will be more reinforcement to the chassis and a doubling up of wheel tethers.

If that isn't a recipe for more exciting races, then I don't know what is!
Old 23 Jun 2010, 00:19 (Ref:2716634)   #7
neiltb
Racer

Scotland
toronto
neiltb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if right marbot, wow, they're really pushing the envelope there.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 00:27 (Ref:2716637)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltb View Post
if right marbot, wow, they're really pushing the envelope there.
To be fair, they are technical regs. But I don't hold out too much hope for the 'sporting' side of things either.

I certainly hope that the WMSC can come up with something that's a bit radical. Particularly as Valencia isn't going to be anywhere near as good as Montreal was, regardless of what compound tyres they use.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 04:34 (Ref:2716695)   #9
Racer

6157 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Agreed.

Someone has to kick Windsor and Anderson for that mess...
They're shut down, out of business, no assets to speak of.

What would be the purpose of punishing them?
Old 23 Jun 2010, 07:03 (Ref:2716720)   #10
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Surely there is a crossover between sporting and technical regs though?

If they think banning double diffusers is going to be some "miracle cure" for the racing they are sorely mistaken. It will be a total drop in the ocean, and the cars will still probably have more overall downforce next year.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 10:06 (Ref:2716773)   #11
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I agree Sodemo. That's not to say "oh well what's the point in doing anything at all", but I think this double diffuser thing will make little to no difference. Teams will be already be finding ways of salvaging that lost grip that was produced by the extreme diffusers.

Selby
Old 23 Jun 2010, 12:11 (Ref:2716814)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Deffo adjustable rear wing for 2011.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84682
Old 23 Jun 2010, 12:14 (Ref:2716816)   #13
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm waiting for details on the implementation of the movable rear wing.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 12:27 (Ref:2716820)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
I'm waiting for details on the implementation of the movable rear wing.
It seems quite clear cut from the Autosport article what they are, but I guess it won't hurt to wait for the WMSC hearing to conclude.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 12:37 (Ref:2716827)   #15
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The rules allowing adjustable rear wings are very artificial and far from what's needed.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 13:00 (Ref:2716836)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
The rules allowing adjustable rear wings are very artificial and far from what's needed.
Agreed. A clear reduction of overall downforce is what's needed, but then you'll have the complaints that F1 is only fractionally faster than GP2 despite all the technology.

The inconvenient truth here is that aero is the Holy Grail of F1 and the biggest differentiator between it and other similarly powered open wheeled series.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 13:22 (Ref:2716850)   #17
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre...sc_230610.aspx

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84688

We have decisions

• Pirelli boots next year
  • Considering requiring all competitors have licences
  • Uneccessarily slow driving banned
  • 107% rule next year, based on fastest Q1 time
  • Movable rear wings next year, frozen out for first two laps, after that can be used if a driver is within 1 second. It will be disabled when a driver hits the brakes, but I'm not exactly sure how this will work. I'll have a look and see if the full rules are up
  • No F-ducts next year
  • 640kg minimum weight
  • Cars have to get pack to the pit lane under their own steam in qualifying.
  • Ho-Pin Tung being given a superlicence. That will get its own thread shortly.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 13:53 (Ref:2716863)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
[*]Unecessarily slow driving banned.
Once again a completely over the top reaction from this so called governing body.

Schumacher must feel the world is against him.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 14:14 (Ref:2716871)   #19
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Agreed. A clear reduction of overall downforce is what's needed, but then you'll have the complaints that F1 is only fractionally faster than GP2 despite all the technology.

The inconvenient truth here is that aero is the Holy Grail of F1 and the biggest differentiator between it and other similarly powered open wheeled series.
A massive reduction of downforce is indeed necessary. Formula 1 would become ceteris paribus marginally faster or even slower compared to its feeder series. But why wouldn't the feeder series follow suit?
Old 23 Jun 2010, 14:46 (Ref:2716884)   #20
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post

We have decisions
[*]Uneccessarily slow driving banned
[*]Ho-Pin Tung being given a superlicence
Who said the FIA didn't have a sense of humour!
Old 23 Jun 2010, 16:36 (Ref:2716940)   #21
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post

I disagree totally.

If you changed the chassis rules you could have cars that were easily faster than GP2 cars with minimal downforce.

Say if F1 cars had; 2200mm wide wheel track, much wider rear tyres, slightly wider fronts, with "Monza" spec downforce levels, I think the cars would be faster than GP2 at every track.

What really gets me when I watch old footage of F1 cars say from 1990-1993, its how quick the cars are in slow corners, its not the fast stuff, but the slow - medium speed corners where the speed is.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 16:54 (Ref:2716948)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I disagree totally.

If you changed the chassis rules you could have cars that were easily faster than GP2 cars with minimal downforce.

Say if F1 cars had; 2200mm wide wheel track, much wider rear tyres, slightly wider fronts, with "Monza" spec downforce levels, I think the cars would be faster than GP2 at every track.

What really gets me when I watch old footage of F1 cars say from 1990-1993, its how quick the cars are in slow corners, its not the fast stuff, but the slow - medium speed corners where the speed is.
High cornering speeds are a big no-no in F1 these days, and I still think that aero would make more of a difference to grip, regardless of the 'size' of the tyres.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 19:09 (Ref:2717010)   #23
neiltb
Racer

Scotland
toronto
neiltb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
moveable rear wings are laughable, how many cars have lost so much rear grip while following a car that the back end has gone? I thought the drivers complained of a lack of front grip when in the tow! more rear grip will put the centre of pressure further to the rear, away from where it's needed.

they'e so blind to the issues it's unbelievable.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 19:32 (Ref:2717019)   #24
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Yep, I remember Ross Brawn came out and said (probably a year or more now) that there really is no need for the vast downforce levels in F1.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 19:37 (Ref:2717024)   #25
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Saward also reported that an Extraordinary Meeting of the World Motor Sport Council has been called for Sept. last line.

any ideas what thats about?