Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 16 Aug 2018, 16:05 (Ref:3844033)   #1626
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh right. So we lose a valuable motorsport arena (I know it is relative) to build something where cars can be stored instead of used.

Irony is in full flow here.

The contaminated land thing is ******** since it is easily solved these days.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 16:11 (Ref:3844035)   #1627
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Oh right. So we lose a valuable motorsport arena (I know it is relative) to build something where cars can be stored instead of used.

Irony is in full flow here.

The contaminated land thing is ******** since it is easily solved these days.
The trouble is Peter, most of Corby is contaminated in one way or another. I think the race circuit was just another 'scheme' built to theoretically bring more work & people into the area when it was a government funded 'Enterprise Zone' when the steel works closed.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 16:26 (Ref:3844038)   #1628
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, I know and cadmium is nasty stuff, but it can be dealt with it's just expensive.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 16:33 (Ref:3844041)   #1629
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
The trouble is Peter, most of Corby is contaminated in one way or another. I think the race circuit was just another 'scheme' built to theoretically bring more work & people into the area when it was a government funded 'Enterprise Zone' when the steel works closed.

Indeed.

I seem to recall that the Rockingham site was considered almost unsalvageable at the time - even for further "industrial" use.

And in any case - why would any developer want to cover the cost of what might turn out to be unlimited rectification for an unlimited time (given our modern propensity for retrospective action) when they can just buy up a few greenfield farms and build on those?

The new development next to East Midlands Airport is so visually intrusive, especially being right on the skyline and visible for miles around, that they are trying to disguise it with different coloured greyish cladding as is sometime the case for the onshore wind turbine masts.

Not long ago it was a farm. Now its industry. Or will be when the first plots are ready which is an event scheduled for early in the new year. Maybe sooner though. Apparently the roadworks on the M1/A50/A453 etc., are ahead of schedule. Presumably due to the good weather. Perhaps the warehouse construction is also ahead.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 18:33 (Ref:3844072)   #1630
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Which kind of eliminates 'affordable' housing. Virtually everything can be dealt with, at a price.

We have a derelict blue circle cement works north of Shoreham, BC moved out and left the whole lot to the council, acres of asbestos. It's potentially a centre parcs site IMO, or something like, on the edge of the South Downs national park and river adur near Bramber, but clearly the profits/margins that big developers demand are not quite there once the clean up is factored in. Oh and dealing with the local twunt MP and council probably accounts for a chunk! We're used to the eye soar after 20+ years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes, I know and cadmium is nasty stuff, but it can be dealt with it's just expensive.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 21:32 (Ref:3844108)   #1631
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I notice that several villages around my area in the UK have started to get new developments being built on the outskirts, I thought that they might be possibly "affordable" however I looked in the local rag and saw that on one site they started at 1.5 million !!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Aug 2018, 23:12 (Ref:3844118)   #1632
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I notice that several villages around my area in the UK have started to get new developments being built on the outskirts, I thought that they might be possibly "affordable" however I looked in the local rag and saw that on one site they started at 1.5 million !!!!

I do wonder if the alleged housing shortage is a scam in the making.

The problem, however, is there could be so many scams of one sort or another being perpetrated by the many parties involved that it is difficult to pin any of them down to try and predict the long term outcome.
Old 18 Aug 2018, 13:46 (Ref:3844452)   #1633
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
An historic photo from the archives;

Young Melanie with her idol.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180818_0001 - Copy.jpg  
Old 18 Aug 2018, 13:48 (Ref:3844453)   #1634
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Another idol with a famous racing driver
Attached Thumbnails
003 (3).jpg  
Old 18 Aug 2018, 15:29 (Ref:3844473)   #1635
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Another idol with a famous racing driver
Spelling Baub! Should be 'idle' surely?
Old 18 Aug 2018, 17:54 (Ref:3844507)   #1636
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Which kind of eliminates 'affordable' housing. Virtually everything can be dealt with, at a price.

We have a derelict blue circle cement works north of Shoreham, BC moved out and left the whole lot to the council, acres of asbestos. It's potentially a centre parcs site IMO, or something like, on the edge of the South Downs national park and river adur near Bramber, but clearly the profits/margins that big developers demand are not quite there once the clean up is factored in. Oh and dealing with the local twunt MP and council probably accounts for a chunk! We're used to the eye soar after 20+ years.
Yes I agree but the fact is we need to build on brownfield so costs for the solution will reduce, just don't fall into the trap that it's expensive. Expense is relative.

And as someone in the energy construction industry I wish we knew what we know now. But we didn't. Life is tough we can't blame the rules of the past for the failures of the future. We need to accept those failures and use the experience for our future.

Sorry to be serious here but I do get sick of people complaining when in a former life the people of Portland or Rugby grabbed the cement industry with both hands and anything else. Look to yourselves folks.
Old 19 Aug 2018, 06:35 (Ref:3844559)   #1637
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Spelling Baub! Should be 'idle' surely?
Now! Now, Viv, any more remarks like that and I may be disinclined to share the rest of my 3682 snaps of me interviewing famous people with you.
Attached Thumbnails
001 - Copy (2).jpg  
Old 19 Aug 2018, 07:07 (Ref:3844562)   #1638
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Now! Now, Viv, any more remarks like that and I may be disinclined to share the rest of my 3682 snaps of me interviewing famous people with you.

The perfect face, and attire of course, made for radio!
Old 19 Aug 2018, 08:00 (Ref:3844564)   #1639
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
There's no place like dome.
Attached Thumbnails
20180818_122518.jpg  
Old 19 Aug 2018, 11:39 (Ref:3844611)   #1640
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
The perfect face, and attire of course, made for radio!
I had been intending to offer a 5% discount to members on the price of my new book "The Legends Meet Bauble", but I am reconsidering my generosity following a less than flattering series of comments on my fame.
Shame on you both.
Old 19 Aug 2018, 13:24 (Ref:3844649)   #1641
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
I had been intending to offer a 5% discount to members on the price of my new book "The Legends Meet Bauble", but I am reconsidering my generosity following a less than flattering series of comments on my fame.
Shame on you both.
Don't be so mean baub. Being a member of the Bauble Appreciation Society has enough challenges as it is. For example, now that BT have reduced the number of telephone boxes we're having trouble finding venues for our regular meetings!
Old 19 Aug 2018, 13:36 (Ref:3844660)   #1642
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Don't be so mean baub. Being a member of the Bauble Appreciation Society has enough challenges as it is. For example, now that BT have reduced the number of telephone boxes we're having trouble finding venues for our regular meetings!
You could hardly move in the Albert Hall last year, Viv. ………. mind you I don't know what was on.
Attached Thumbnails
Ace Reporter.JPG  
Old 19 Aug 2018, 13:44 (Ref:3844664)   #1643
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
You could hardly move in the Albert Hall last year, Viv. ………. mind you I don't know what was on.
Yes, but Albert's house is tiny so his hall must be also...
Old 19 Aug 2018, 13:48 (Ref:3844666)   #1644
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Yes, but Albert's house is tiny so his hall must be also...
Would you like me to sign your copy of my book, I could write a dedication on the fly leaf, something really personal ……..
Old 19 Aug 2018, 15:03 (Ref:3844683)   #1645
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
And who are those people really happy to meet "our" Bob?
Old 19 Aug 2018, 17:40 (Ref:3844744)   #1646
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Don't all shout at once folks.
Old 19 Aug 2018, 18:19 (Ref:3844756)   #1647
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Last one is Ross Brawn, one before that could be Tarquini. Post 1633 obviously Senna, next one Schumacher?
Old 19 Aug 2018, 18:44 (Ref:3844768)   #1648
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Last one is Ross Brawn, one before that could be Tarquini. Post 1633 obviously Senna, next one Schumacher?
OK for Tarquini, Schumacher from Benetton era then? Not easy when spotted from behind. Bob?
Old 19 Aug 2018, 20:03 (Ref:3844818)   #1649
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
OK for Tarquini, Schumacher from Benetton era then? Not easy when spotted from behind. Bob?
None of them are French Gerard, so you may be excused for your lack of knowledge of the great and good.
Of course I once appeared on live TV chatting to Alain Prost.!!

Maybe you recognise these two?
Attached Thumbnails
Photographer to the stars.jpg  
Old 19 Aug 2018, 22:03 (Ref:3844840)   #1650
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If Wogan had his "TOGS", what are Bauble's followers called? Boobies?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk