Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Jul 2015, 16:11 (Ref:3562192)   #1
jodi
Racer

United Kingdom
Northants
jodi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nurburgring Oldtimer Grand Prix

(Apologies if this is a dupe thread, I couldn't find one going back several pages!)

Had the entry list through today for the Jaguar Heritage race at Nurburgring.. Sad to see only 18 cars on the grid... 14 being E-types.

I'm unaware what other series are racing there, but anyone who has been before - thoughts on the event? One for the must-do list?
Old 29 Jul 2015, 16:47 (Ref:3562202)   #2
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm listed as an E-type, although hope to run the S as no way the E will be ready. S will be an invitation car as a few mods place it outside the regs and no time to change things.

I'm a Nurburg Newbie, previous 3 attempts to get there have all been thwarted so fingers crossed this time!
Old 29 Jul 2015, 17:09 (Ref:3562205)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodi View Post
(Apologies if this is a dupe thread, I couldn't find one going back several pages!)

I'm unaware what other series are racing there, but anyone who has been before - thoughts on the event? One for the must-do list?
As well as Jag race, there are Masters 2 FIA Champ series and GD, HGPCA, Lurani FJ (FIA champ). Also German races, DRM Revival for one, and on Nordshleife the 4hr marathon. This takes place on Friday and is usually well supported by UK racers.

Lots of car manufacturer displays and support.

Well worth a visit!
Old 31 Jul 2015, 19:29 (Ref:3562884)   #4
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring an umbrella....and waders. And a crow bar!

Last year was utterly miserable!
Old 31 Jul 2015, 22:07 (Ref:3562918)   #5
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
so was Silverstone last week.....

R.E.
Old 2 Aug 2015, 04:32 (Ref:3563159)   #6
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weather will be perfect this year Simon.Might even see you out there on track.Hows the petrol?
Old 2 Aug 2015, 15:23 (Ref:3563292)   #7
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Stand by. For pizza wed Tel
Old 2 Aug 2015, 17:17 (Ref:3563311)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Blimey, just checked weather forecast!

If they've got that right, then sun screen, more sun screen, souwester, and wellies......

Old 2 Aug 2015, 20:00 (Ref:3563348)   #9
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ha ha ha good one Terry!!!

Not there this year sadly, its just a bit too expensive for me to do every year. Maybe next year.

Always a lovely grid for the 4 hour race.
Old 3 Aug 2015, 02:56 (Ref:3563409)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Blimey, just checked weather forecast!

If they've got that right, then sun screen, more sun screen, souwester, and wellies......

See, what did I say. 28 yesterday and mid thirties today.
Old 3 Aug 2015, 02:58 (Ref:3563411)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Stand by. For pizza wed Tel

Bout time, Im starving.Looking forward Ian.
Old 3 Aug 2015, 09:21 (Ref:3563452)   #12
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Had the entry list through today for the Jaguar Heritage race at Nurburgring.. Sad to see only 18 cars on the grid... 14 being E-types.

sadly the current regs make it difficult for FIA spec cars to enter unless they are E Types. I would hope that next season they rein in the Mk1's and the XK Challenge cars and run it more along the lines of FIA. That way thye will get mk2's and FIA XK's coming out and it in turn will encourage C Types etc...

Its very frustrating as I am sure Jaguar Heritage would prefer a more diverse grid than a few Mk1 and XK hotrods and some E Types. Taking a more long term view this could develop into a real showcase series for Jaguar
Old 3 Aug 2015, 17:04 (Ref:3563544)   #13
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see your point Simon, but is it more an indication that the FIA cars aren't out there anymore? Perhaps it's just the cost that has put people off. Looking back, HSCC even struggled with the E type Challenge in Germany, the grids were very small.
Old 3 Aug 2015, 18:27 (Ref:3563551)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Although perfectly acceptable, IMHO the GP circuit doesn't excite like Spa, Dijon, Monza etc. Maybe that has a bearing on the grids. Jaguar Germany have previously had a strong presence at the meeting, I guess to match that of BMW, Porsche and Mercedes, their perceived rival manufacturers. I reckon this is why OldTimer has been chosen to feature the Jag races more than other possible reasons. Appealing to Jaguar perhaps, but not so much to Jaguar racers....

The 4hr Marathon around the Nordschleife, on the other hand, does appeal to a lot of UK racers.......

Old 4 Aug 2015, 05:10 (Ref:3563664)   #15
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Two brits expecially. The two who won last years championship.
Old 4 Aug 2015, 20:21 (Ref:3563782)   #16
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I wouldn't go to the Nurburgring unless I was racing on the Nordschleife. Bit like going to Brands but racing on the Kart track whilst others play on the proper circuit.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 5 Aug 2015, 05:30 (Ref:3563863)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:

E Type owners club wanted to do Spa but the GT40 OC got in first .
Shame how the grids are shaping up in hysterics.
Old 5 Aug 2015, 06:22 (Ref:3563870)   #18
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Personally I wouldn't go to the Nurburgring unless I was racing on the Nordschleife. Bit like going to Brands but racing on the Kart track whilst others play on the proper circuit.
That about sums it up.
Old 5 Aug 2015, 09:05 (Ref:3563899)   #19
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
See you there guys, first weekend out as an official ! Currywurst and bitteburger, here we come !
Old 7 Aug 2015, 12:10 (Ref:3564356)   #20
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Although the Nordschleife is incomparable, the GP circuit at the Nurburgring is a great circuit with all sorts of challenging corners. Much better than most UK circuits for example
Old 7 Aug 2015, 19:27 (Ref:3564450)   #21
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I'm getting early night . Day started with bike ride round the track at 6.30 that's 5.30 your time with a tour of the track with Colin . The boy did well on his S Type . Then Compte first outing in Britannia FJ Head gasket so did that job . Then Elva 200 front suspension Mike sorted that job out . Then Elva 100 that hit the 200 sorted front frame . Then set carbs on lotus 18 . Then went for a couple of beers and looked at buying Lamborghini tractor in auction . Them BBQ with Colin and his mrs . Then I'm knackard and now fast asleep . Night all . Looking forward to a beer with my new FIA mate
Old 7 Aug 2015, 21:10 (Ref:3564477)   #22
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I'm getting early night . Day started with bike ride round the track at 6.30 that's 5.30 your time with a tour of the track with Colin . The boy did well on his S Type . Then Compte first outing in Britannia FJ Head gasket so did that job . Then Elva 200 front suspension Mike sorted that job out . Then Elva 100 that hit the 200 sorted front frame . Then set carbs on lotus 18 . Then went for a couple of beers and looked at buying Lamborghini tractor in auction . Them BBQ with Colin and his mrs . Then I'm knackard and now fast asleep . Night all . Looking forward to a beer with my new FIA mate
Sounds like a quiet day by your standards Iain. Long but quiet. Relatively speaking.

Why are your Elvas hitting each other? Tell them to stop it immediately!
Old 8 Aug 2015, 02:44 (Ref:3564521)   #23
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Iain, Im impressed, you actually wrote that while asleep? Who says men cant multitask!
Old 8 Aug 2015, 07:40 (Ref:3564542)   #24
Unit 2 Racing
Racer

United Kingdom
Ormesby St. Margaret, Norfolk UK
Unit 2 Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to hear you are keeping busy Oldtimer, and very nice to see they named the meeting after you.

There are people who drive racing cars and there are Racing Drivers. Gilles Villenuve
Old 11 Aug 2015, 06:39 (Ref:3565257)   #25
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISCracer View Post
Although the Nordschleife is incomparable, the GP circuit at the Nurburgring is a great circuit with all sorts of challenging corners. Much better than most UK circuits for example
Having been back, agree I was a bit harsh in my earlier post. The corner no-one likes is the chicane at end of start finish straight, but rest flows quite well.

So, arrived Wednesday in scorchio weather that hung around until Friday night. Then a mighty thunderstorm hit in early hours, with appropriate sound and light show, so Saturday we were in the cloud and fog, and wearing jackets to keep warm. More like Nurburgring...... Sunday started out very much the same, plus small shower during morning that had people tweaking damper settings and ARBs, but by time we were leaving at end of the day, sun was out again.

Good to spend a bit of time with Mr & Mrs McKay, and chuffed that Colin had a good run in the S Type, although not without incident. (Over to you, Colin ) Enjoyed helping with the FJs again, such a great bunch.

While getting used to new oil spillage measures and resultant fines at some circuits, here's a new one- Van turns up in paddock with 'ZOLLE' written on side and blue lights. Couple of uniformed bods then spend hours cruising paddock asking racers to see receipts for their race fuel. Those that couldn't prove fuel had been purchased in Germany get hit with a fine........ Needing high octane stuff, Iain had filled cans up with 102 just down the road from circuit!