Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Dec 2005, 20:21 (Ref:1475960)   #1
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australian motor sport awards

Quote:
CAMS President Colin Osborne made the presentation of the CAMS Membership of Honour to Tony Cochrane.

"The CAMS Membership of Honour is awarded to those who have contributed long and valuable service to motor sport in Australia, not necessarily within the ranks of CAMS. There is no doubt that Tony has fulfilled this criteria over the past decade with the development of the V8 Supercar category, not only in Australia but the rest of the world, and it's appropriate that we recognise him tonight for his achievements."
And presented in front of a huge crowd of 'almost 200' people.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 21:33 (Ref:1475993)   #2
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please, don't,

Now I feel Ill.

Old 2 Dec 2005, 22:00 (Ref:1476003)   #3
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
I'm sure the CEO of CAMS, being a doctor, will be available to alleviate your ill-feelings!
Old 2 Dec 2005, 23:16 (Ref:1476041)   #4
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Storyline, instead of flaming the forum, and making me feel ill with the TC news, why did you choose to leave out the happy bits from the CAMS press release........

Australia's Fastest Weatherman © ® ™ (Cranker Enterprises), Grant Denyer has been named the CAMS Motor Sport Personality of the Year

Quote:
Voted on by the Australian motor sport public, the Personality of the Year award recognises competitors who, through their actions both during and outside of competition, are good ambassadors for Australian motor sport.

Denyer, who competes in the HPDC V8 Supercar Series, is recognised throughout the land as the man who tours the country and brings the weather to thousands of Australians each morning on Channel Seven's 'Sunrise' program, and admits he was flattered to receive the award.

"It was an absolute honour to be nominated alongside the likes of Ingall, Lowndes, McConville, Kelly, Crocker and Evans. There's some serious driving talent there and they all represent the sport so well.
It's gratifying to be able to bring the sport to those who are unable to get to the track, and fortunately through 'Sunrise' I can do that from time to time," said Denyer.
Quote:
The awards presentation was held in the recently refurbished 'Carousel'
at Albert Park Lake in front of almost 200 people from the Australian motor sport community.
And a special mention to the Australian Motor Sport Official of the Year - Bill Crouch.

Well done 'Grouch' keep on making peoples lives a misery on race weekends.
Now you have a trophy to prove how good you are.......
Old 3 Dec 2005, 01:32 (Ref:1476092)   #5
Spunky
Racer

Spunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey go Grouchy, well done mate.
Old 3 Dec 2005, 02:01 (Ref:1476101)   #6
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
I wasn't flaming the forum - however - as you brought this up.

When I saw the release, the first I thought was 'Is that all?'

In CAMS words - 'almost 200 people' attended - maybe I am being naive, but this is not many for what SHOULD have been the gala presentation evening of the motor sport year.

And then there is the substance (or rather lack of) to the release - four awards mentioned and, in the list provided, apart from Paul's, Grants and TC's - the only other awards mentioned were about karting.

Now something tells me that either a) CAMS have lost the plot in reporting the awards, b) they really didn't give too many awards out or c) the whole thing is a sham.

As for not mentioning the other awards in this thread - I was certain someone else would pick them up but to give the award to Cochrane and with the wording they used - I can think of many others who deserve the award well before he does.
Old 3 Dec 2005, 02:28 (Ref:1476109)   #7
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyline
And then there is the substance (or rather lack of) to the release - four awards mentioned and, in the list provided, apart from Paul's, Grants and TC's - the only other awards mentioned were about karting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS Press Release
2005 AUSTRALIAN CHAMPIONS
Superkart Champion 250cc International - Warren McIlveen
Motorkhana Champion - David Collier
Hillclimb Champion - Peter Gumley
Off Road Champion Driver - Shannon Rentsch
Off Road Champion Navigator - Ian Rentsch
Off Road Class Champion Driver - Geoff Pickering
Off Road Class Champion Navigator - Glenn Watson
Rally Champion Driver - Cody Crocker
Rally Champion Co-Driver - Dale Moscatt
F16 Rally Champion Driver - Leigh Garrioch
F16 Rally Champion Co-Driver - Ken Garrioch
Rally Manufacturers' Champion - Subaru Australia
Formula Ford Champion - Daniel Elliott
Formula 4000 Champion - Peter Hackett
Formula 3 Champion - Aaron Caratti
Carrera Cup Champion - Fabian Coulthard
Performance Car Champion - Peter Floyd
GT Champion - Bryce Washington
Production Car Champion - TBA [who gives a toss?]
Touring Car Champion - Russell Ingall
Australian Drivers' Champion & CAMS Gold Star - Aaron Caratti

2005 AUSTRALIAN SERIES WINNERS
Sprintkart CIK Series Winner Intercontinental A Junior - Joshua Scott
Sprintkart CIK Series Winner Intercontinental C - Bart Price
Sprintkart CIK Series Manufacturers' Cup - Arrow Karts
HPDC V8 Supercar Series Winner - Dean Canto

SPECIAL AWARDS
2005 Australian Motor Sport Official of the Year - Bill Crouch
2005 CAMS Motor Sport Personality of the Year - Grant Denyer
CAMS Member of Honour - Tony Cochrane
Most Outstanding CAMS Rising Star in 2005 - Paul Laskazeski
Well yes Kating does get a mention, but the good burghers at CAMS have noted a fair spread of racing there too.....

No I'm not turning.

Or beginning to support CAMS either !

P.S a Damm shame the female Wayne Wakefield wasn't voted 'Motorsport Personality of the Year.

I mean not since Paula Elstrek have we seen such a source of untapped potential..........
Old 3 Dec 2005, 02:40 (Ref:1476111)   #8
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Interesting - the way I received it from CAMS the 2005 Australian Champions take up 3 lines - re-reading I now see why - all listed one after another without line breaks.

Still a poor effort on the part of the release and the night - the release only mentioning the 'Special Awards' (it does sort of make you realise that CAMS isn't that interested in main stream motor racing anymore, doesn't it?)
Old 3 Dec 2005, 02:43 (Ref:1476113)   #9
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Quote:
Production Car Champion - TBA [who gives a toss?]
One of the stories given to me a few weeks ago was the scheduling of the AMRS round this weekend which caused it to clash with the CAMS awards - especially as there was a fairly senior CAMS person who would need to be at both the awards and Eastern Creek. Depending on who you spoke to the problem was either:

a) having to get his car to Eastern Creek, then travel back to Melbourne for the awards and then fly back to the Creek Saturday morning in order to qualify

or

b) not being able to have a drink or two at the awards because he was qualifying the next morning.

Makes me wonder if the breathalyser was being used this morning or if the rumour gonf around on Wed afternoon was correct (that they couldn't locate it and, because the Police in NSW are now in their Christmas Blitz mode), they couldn't get hold of one to borrow....convenient if this is the case.
Old 3 Dec 2005, 03:10 (Ref:1476115)   #10
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyline
Interesting - the way I received it from CAMS the 2005 Australian Champions take up 3 lines - re-reading I now see why - all listed one after another without line breaks.

Still a poor effort on the part of the release and the night - the release only mentioning the 'Special Awards' (it does sort of make you realise that CAMS isn't that interested in main stream motor racing anymore, doesn't it?)

I didn't need that Press Release to realise that, and I'm sure you didn't either......
Old 3 Dec 2005, 06:55 (Ref:1476144)   #11
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So Aussie Bernie get an award for filling his wallet with the publics money,well the world has gone MAD.

And again CAMS bends over backwards for AVE$CO sorry v8 $upercar Australia

Yep the world has GONE MAD
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 6 Dec 2005, 01:18 (Ref:1477901)   #12
Scott F
Rookie

Scott F should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And presented in front of a huge crowd of 'almost 200' people.
An absolute disgrace that the man who has more to damage Australian Motorsport is honored by CAMS - it just shows were CAMS sees itself.

How can you give this man this award. A man who:

Shows total disregard for permanent circuits in Australia
Is doing this for one reason - money
Has no interest in any other category - only those which improve his show
Has no interest in the development of the sport as a whole but is only interested in the "moto-tainment" that is V8 supercars
Has NO interest in grass roots motorsport

Shame on CAMS
Old 6 Dec 2005, 02:26 (Ref:1477930)   #13
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And two extra awards should be given out.

Bryce Washington - Luckiest Champion of the year.
After trailing Hackett all season, Washington lucks out when the mighty Lambo finally runs out of spare parts at the last round.

Aaron Caratti - Most Conceited Champion of 2005
Didn't even bother turning up to the last round of the championship.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 02:26 (Ref:1477931)   #14
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Nearly 200 people". Is that a record crowd? Did AVESCO have to approve that figure before it was released?

BTW, Colin Osborne won the GT-Prod championship.

No comment on the Cochrane award - it's just too infuriating. What next? Will the Sydney Morning Herald give him one?

Kramer
Old 8 Dec 2005, 18:51 (Ref:1479919)   #15
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
Matthew Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott F
How can you give this man this award. A man who:

Shows total disregard for permanent circuits in Australia
Is doing this for one reason - money

Here is something that would give Tony Cold sweats at night. From the latest Nascar TV deal rights.

from http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/in...nes_2005_12_08

Quote:
USA TODAY reports that of the national TV money, which will total at least $4.4 billion over eight years, about 65 per cent will go to tracks, with teams splitting about 25 per cent and NASCAR itself getting 10 per cent.
Does anyone know the break up for V8 Supercar TV rights to Teams. Tracks get 0% in Australia.
Old 9 Dec 2005, 00:04 (Ref:1480105)   #16
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So someone gets an award for making Millions out of the small motorsport market in this country while people like me who volunteer our time to the sport get.................

Oh, tell a lie. I've got 5, 10 & 20 year service medallions for the F1GP and a lot of caps & badges for the tens of thousands of dollars I've put into motorsport over the last 20 years.

I still haven't been able to find anyone who voted for him yet either just like I cant find anyone who voted for John Howard or Jeff Kennett either and after making and receiving many many calls I'm not the only person wondering either.
Old 9 Dec 2005, 00:19 (Ref:1480108)   #17
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Stop wondering - Howard over Beazley any day (especially after yesterdays outburst by 'the fat one'). And seeing how labor screws any liberal area in Vic, bring Kennet back and he'll shoe it in.
Old 9 Dec 2005, 01:35 (Ref:1480144)   #18
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I once nearly killed a driver when we discovered I actually spent more on motorsport in a given year (to volunteer) than he did as a competitor, but sadly the offer to swap was declined...
Old 9 Dec 2005, 06:41 (Ref:1480223)   #19
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Stop wondering - Howard over Beazley any day (especially after yesterdays outburst by 'the fat one'). And seeing how labor screws any liberal area in Vic, bring Kennet back and he'll shoe it in.
Off topic, what did the member for Fremantle say yesterday?
Old 9 Dec 2005, 07:05 (Ref:1480228)   #20
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
When he was getting stuck into Costello again (and again and again and again...)

Instead of concentrating on proper issues he decided to have a go because Costello has said eh wont challenge for the leadership.
Old 9 Dec 2005, 08:51 (Ref:1480263)   #21
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ahh, just the usual then...
Old 9 Dec 2005, 14:22 (Ref:1480495)   #22
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ronke
Here is something that would give Tony Cold sweats at night. From the latest Nascar TV deal rights.

from http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/in...nes_2005_12_08

Does anyone know the break up for V8 Supercar TV rights to Teams. Tracks get 0% in Australia.
Don't the France family own NASCAR and most of the tracks NASCAR run on?

Which makes it 75% France family and 25% teams.

Old 9 Dec 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1480847)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Teams get nothing of the television money directly... it gets funnelled thru the V8SA/TEGA empires...
Old 11 Dec 2005, 11:52 (Ref:1481611)   #24
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
News Fash People!

When I finish Photo-shopping my blank CAMS Membership of Honour certificate, I'm planning on putting it up onto E-Bay......

Wanna be as famous as Aussie Bernie, now you can........

Cranker Enterprises, helping the little man achieve, in Australian Motorsports......
Old 12 Dec 2005, 03:38 (Ref:1482038)   #25
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully in awarding T.Cochrane the Citizenship Prize,the Headmaster of CAMS HIGH is following the old wisdom " I Hold my friends close and my enemies even closer..."