Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Sep 2020, 15:15 (Ref:4001156)   #251
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I've been guilty of it myself already in this thread, but there is a difference between excuse as a verb and a noun.

As a noun, it is an explanation or justification for something. Nothing negative about it, although many see it as negative. To provide an excuse can be to accept blame as well.

As a verb, it is used to remove blame.

In the example from LH, he has provided an excuse in which he accepted blame. He hasn't attempted to excuse himself from blame.

Using the same word as a verb and noun seems to be the cause of disagreement here. Maybe we should accept the excuse from LH, excuse each other and move on?
Il go with that as common ground
Old 9 Sep 2020, 15:17 (Ref:4001157)   #252
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Anyway, what about Ferrari...
has there been any word as to what caused Vettee's brake failure?

i didnt have a chance to see any post race interviews, but what was the cause of Leclerc's off? was it just a mistake on his part?
Old 9 Sep 2020, 15:29 (Ref:4001160)   #253
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
LeClerc admitted the crash was his own mistake. I think both drivers struggled with handling problems all weekend, but the crash was not due to a problem with the car it seems.

I'm generally confused about Ferrari. They are getting worse each race. Maybe I'm just a hater though - someone check my post history.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 15:31 (Ref:4001161)   #254
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
has there been any word as to what caused Vettee's brake failure?

i didnt have a chance to see any post race interviews, but what was the cause of Leclerc's off? was it just a mistake on his part?
Vettee said his brake line exploded, though that sounds a little over dramatic.

https://youtu.be/9hEKaNzXOLk

As for Leclerc, iirc it was cold tyres.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 15:46 (Ref:4001171)   #255
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
has there been any word as to what caused Vettel's brake failure?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Vettel said his brake line exploded, though that sounds a little over dramatic.
Replays showed something at the lower left rear was on fire briefly (on the straight between Ascari and Parabolica or the one just before). I have no idea if that was a brake line or not.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 15:49 (Ref:4001173)   #256
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
For me the most emotional moment of the GP wasn’t Gasly’s win, but Russell and Latifi’s radio messages on the slowing down lap, paying tribute to the Williams family. Really a touching moment
Old 9 Sep 2020, 16:00 (Ref:4001175)   #257
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Lewis' radio comms following his pit lane entry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMDAV7jX4Vg
That is a good listen. Doesn’t change anything, but there are some little nuances which are of interest.

Doesn’t change that he just didn’t look at the marshal posts. As indicated before the race by the organisers with a diagram this is where pit lane info would be shown. He could have glanced at this as he knew he was coming into the pits.

Small titbit. Also the conversation confirms that the “risk it” was about doing 2 laps or 1 lap before stopping. Not an ignore the rule.

Interesting to hear. He seems quite down about it all.

But a good conversation. Like it. Thanks for the link wnut.

A mess up. A complete mess up by Lewis (and a bit the team). Not much more to say.

Quote:
Happens.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 16:05 (Ref:4001178)   #258
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Anyway, what about Ferrari...
There is a lot to talk about on this. One key moment that hasn’t been discussed and is unresolved is,

Vettel seemed to have a tape measure in his car during qualifying - he threw out of the car when he was eliminated.

Why did Vettel have a tape measure in his car in qualifying?

This is the big question.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 16:07 (Ref:4001179)   #259
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
There is a lot to talk about on this. One key moment that hasn’t been discussed and is unresolved is,

Vettel seemed to have a tape measure in his car during qualifying - he threw out of the car when he was eliminated.

Perhaps it was so he could accurately measure how far behind he was?
Old 9 Sep 2020, 16:15 (Ref:4001180)   #260
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Replays showed something at the lower left rear was on fire briefly (on the straight between Ascari and Parabolica or the one just before). I have no idea if that was a brake line or not.
I can't find any real mention of what happened. I did see the replay of the fire. I did see some mention that they knew something was up with the left rear and had asked him to shift brake bias to front as well as to run in clear air. I assume they were watching a temp sensor go up on the left rear brake.

Quote:

Was it for sure a tape measure? It sure did look like it was. I was wondering if he was out on track with a tape measure rattling around by his feet! Can you imagine the drama if he had a serious accident and it was found that something like that was blocking a brake pedal!

Richard
Old 9 Sep 2020, 16:19 (Ref:4001181)   #261
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Perhaps it was so he could accurately measure how far behind he was?

I missed qualifying. Is there a photo or footage of the tape measure? I tried Googling but found nothing.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 16:22 (Ref:4001182)   #262
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Slightly off topic, but I don't think there is much in it between Bottas and the last guy to sit in that seat, Nico Rosberg. Rosberg was the better race driver and they are pretty similar in terms of qualifying pace.

The main difference between the two is that Rosberg had an almost superhuman ability to bounce back from ritual humiliation. This kept him in the hunt when things went badly, weirdly wrong for Hamilton in 2014 and, spawny but successfully, in 2016.

Bottas, on the other hand, has a tendency to let his head drop.

They share much the same weaknesses I would say, but Bottas has been made to look significantly worse due to this generation of cars being much more difficult to overtake in when things go wrong and the fact that he has often not just had Lewis as opposition with everyone else miles behind.

A complaint I see a lot about Bottas is that he doesn't try hard enough to overtake Lewis like Nico did. But, really, how often was Rosberg successful in that quest? Most of the time he came off looking like a clumsy oaf, gaining nothing but souring the atmosphere at Mercedes. And it wasn't like he made that many attempt anyways.

On top of this, Lewis has simply got better and better. He is almost bullet proof.

Retiring at the end of 2016 was the best thing Rosberg did in his career. He has become an all time legend simply by not bothering to turn up to races anymore.
Its stuff like this sprinkled into so many posts that make it impossible to even slightly criticize hamilton without tedious pushback.

"Ritual humiliation" of Rosberg?
Things only can go wrong for hamilton "weirdly"?
Putting all blame for clumsiness of wheel to wheel to racing between Rosberg and hamilton down to Rosberg being an "oaf"
Hamilton "bullet-proof" (ok, add onto being the top driver in top car, he has a horseshoe firmly implanted, I concede this point)

Rosberg was good enough to beat hamilton. If you want to ascribe bad luck to hamilton to diminish Rosberg's win, then let's discount Hamilton's titles because of all his good luck. (Hes had lots of it). Even in this race, he has a problem, but sure enough, bottas had an ailing car (they were trying to repair it during red flag) and verstappen drops out through no fault of his own. Its stuff like that that needs to be used to discredit his championships if you're going to discredit Rosberg's due to Hamilton's bad luck or good luck for Rosberg.

When this is the prevailing view of hamilton, even saying he initially made an excuse before owning up to it (being human), becomes a pages long argument.

By the way, did giovanazi go scooting up to the stewards during the red flag to "discuss" his penalty, or was that only hamilton?
Old 9 Sep 2020, 16:25 (Ref:4001185)   #263
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Quote:
has there been any word as to what caused Vettel's brake failure?
Quote:
Vettel said his brake line exploded, though that sounds a little over dramatic.
agree to disagree on the proper way to spell his name!

and here are some more pictures:

what a difference a year makes.

although after their performance maybe for the best the Tifosi were not present?
Old 9 Sep 2020, 16:27 (Ref:4001186)   #264
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Happens.
i really wish i had wrote **** happens!
Old 9 Sep 2020, 16:30 (Ref:4001187)   #265
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Doesn’t change that he just didn’t look at the marshal posts. As indicated before the race by the organisers with a diagram this is where pit lane info would be shown. He could have glanced at this as he knew he was coming into the pits.
Agree with this. It was in the pre race notes, ones which the other teams and drivers seemed to pay attention to.

I don’t even think it was ‘unlucky’ as some have mentioned....that means Lewis wasn’t in control of his actions, which he clearly was. Luck had nothing to do with it, he just made a mistake and paid dearly for it.

Unfortunate, yes....unlucky, no.

Still, as Mercedes have said post race, they learn from these things and will make sure it doesn’t happen again.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 16:33 (Ref:4001188)   #266
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
agree to disagree on the proper way to spell his name!

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/f1-seb...ese-grand-prix
Old 9 Sep 2020, 16:38 (Ref:4001189)   #267
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Its stuff like this sprinkled into so many posts that make it impossible to even slightly criticize hamilton without tedious pushback.
'Twas ever thus. There's always one, sometimes two, rarely three untouchables for whose fans any form of criticism is seen as a declaration of war.

I might not have been here, specifically, at the time but Schumacher's reign in the Ferrari era saw some utterly appalling abuse thrown around - in both directions. Same with Vettel in the days where RBR dominated.

Nowadays, largely, Tenths is better than that; and we all need to remember that. We all contribute to the good, and we all contribute to the bad. Let's try to keep it the former.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 16:54 (Ref:4001195)   #268
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I missed qualifying. Is there a photo or footage of the tape measure? I tried Googling but found nothing.
I heard someone describe it as a buckle?

Actually, I understand it was his MP3 player. He'd been listening to Chris Rea's 'La Passione' during his qualifying runs.....

Last edited by Aysedasi; 9 Sep 2020 at 17:09.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 17:07 (Ref:4001196)   #269
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post

"Ritual humiliation" of Rosberg?
Things only can go wrong for hamilton "weirdly"?
Putting all blame for clumsiness of wheel to wheel to racing between Rosberg and hamilton down to Rosberg being an "oaf"
Hamilton "bullet-proof" (ok, add onto being the top driver in top car, he has a horseshoe firmly implanted, I concede this point)

Rosberg was good enough to beat hamilton. If you want to ascribe bad luck to hamilton to diminish Rosberg's win, then let's discount Hamilton's titles because of all his good luck. (Hes had lots of it). Even in this race, he has a problem, but sure enough, bottas had an ailing car (they were trying to repair it during red flag) and verstappen drops out through no fault of his own. Its stuff like that that needs to be used to discredit his championships if you're going to discredit Rosberg's due to Hamilton's bad luck or good luck for Rosberg.

When this is the prevailing view of hamilton, even saying he initially made an excuse before owning up to it (being human), becomes a pages long argument.

By the way, did giovanazi go scooting up to the stewards during the red flag to "discuss" his penalty, or was that only hamilton?
Unfortunately when you construct posts like this, and your previous ones, you become part of the problem at which people ‘push back’

Maybe a less confrontational tone might be more conducive to less ‘push back’.

As Greem said we are all responsible For keeping this one happy family....I know I am no angel either but it works both ways
Old 9 Sep 2020, 17:10 (Ref:4001197)   #270
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So, what happened it the Grand Prix then, I'm beginning to feel as though I must have completely missed it.......
Old 9 Sep 2020, 17:19 (Ref:4001201)   #271
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post

Actually, I understand it was his MP3 player. He'd been listening to Chris Rea's 'La Passione' during his qualifying runs.....
The Road To Hell, would have been more appropriate.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 17:21 (Ref:4001202)   #272
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

I heard the buckle explanation from DC on the Channel 4 coverage.As for what is wrong at Ferrari,so-so car,down on power and not being run very proficiently.In spite of the largest budget in the business.I do wonder whether Gene Has might be asking himself if buying permitted parts from Alpha Tauri might be the way forward.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 17:24 (Ref:4001203)   #273
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
The Road To Hell, would have been more appropriate.
Ah yes, quite so!
Old 9 Sep 2020, 17:37 (Ref:4001204)   #274
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Ah yes, quite so!
Add Money for Nothing to that playlist......
Old 9 Sep 2020, 18:06 (Ref:4001205)   #275
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
So, what happened it the Grand Prix then, I'm beginning to feel as though I must have completely missed it.......
To be fair, no one took me up on the question of whether the dnf's were better for ferrari than actually finishing in 12th or 14th or wherever, completing the race

Or the cool tifosi storyline of their new driver finishing 2and.

But "that" part of my post generated lots of conversation, haha.