Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Sep 2018, 13:33 (Ref:3849389)   #301
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You don't see this often... or at all.

Petition to keep Kimi in red.

https://www.change.org/p/maurizio-ar...r-another-year
Old 11 Sep 2018, 13:35 (Ref:3849390)   #302
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see it now, SV starts off the back of the grid...

Pit to Kimi: Kimi you need to move over for Vettel he is coming up behind you and he is faster and needs to get past.

Kimi: Go away and leave me alone.

It is going to be awesome!!!
Old 11 Sep 2018, 14:11 (Ref:3849396)   #303
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
You don't see this often... or at all.

Petition to keep Kimi in red.

https://www.change.org/p/maurizio-ar...r-another-year
I would be inclined to support a crowd funding effort to buy Kimi his own team! Note, Kimi would be required to be run the team as well. I would love to see his decisions as a team manager. Car would show up unpainted as he just didn't care enough to select a color.

Richard
Old 11 Sep 2018, 14:18 (Ref:3849397)   #304
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
OK, I’m going to say this to get it off my chest, and I don’t expect people to agree with me: I don’t get the veneration of Räikkönen. He’s a fast driver, and used to be faster still, but the man is a personality vacuum, monosyllabic to the point of making Mike Häkkinen look like Joan Rivers, and he seems to have absolutely no passion for racing, or for motorsport. Never seems excited by anything, never enthuses about a new car, doesn’t even have Spaniard-like tantrums about bad equipment. Just... nothing. I’m glad Ferrari have plumped for Leclerc, and I don’t *think* they’ll regret it.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 14:26 (Ref:3849401)   #305
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Leclerc to Ferrari, great news. Let's hope he can match Vettel and give us more competition at the front

Hope Kimi's Sauber move goes well enough
Old 11 Sep 2018, 14:44 (Ref:3849405)   #306
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
OK, I’m going to say this to get it off my chest, and I don’t expect people to agree with me: I don’t get the veneration of Räikkönen.
the man is a personality vacuum - F1 is hardly awash with personalities - Raikkonen is no worse than any others. In fact - how many others have fallen off a yacht in Monaco whilst drunk, or fallen out of a nightclub holding an inflatable dolphin? The ice cream incident? The reason he gave for missing Schumachers presentation? Come on!

monosyllabic to the point of making Mike Häkkinen look like Joan Rivers -He just doesn't go along with all the ******** PR speak that the others churn out - how much of what the other drivers say actually means anything?

he seems to have absolutely no passion for racing, or for motorsport. Really? Went and did WRC when he was out of F1, raced ski mobiles (under the name "James Hunt" whilst wearing a gorilla suit). Had a go in a NASCAR. If anything he's only interested in the racing - none of the other stuff that drivers have to do.

Never seems excited by anything,never enthuses about a new car The others do - but again it's just PR balls - the McLaren drivers were giving it all the "Ooh this car is ace" guff before the season started. Why bother with all that when it's clearly rubbish?

doesn’t even have Spaniard-like tantrums about bad equipment. But does if they don't give him his steering wheel!

Quote:
Just... nothing. I’m glad Ferrari have plumped for Leclerc, and I don’t *think* they’ll regret it.
I'm glad Kimi will be around for another couple of years. But all the same I hope LeClerc does well at Ferrari.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 14:59 (Ref:3849407)   #307
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
By the time Kimi retires, given his Sauber deal goes for the planned 2 years, he will comfortably have become the most GPs started driver in F1 history. Currently Rubens is in that position on I think 323 GP starts.

Kimi will end up in two years on 330+ GP starts dependant on the 2019/2020 F1 calendars. He will end this season on 292 starts.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 15:08 (Ref:3849413)   #308
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
just a different kind of 'cool' for me. i wont go so far as anti-hero but he's close in that the trappings of fame dont define him. not flamboyant, not outspoken...really the opposite of every modern day athlete.

time will tell of course but despite my leanings, time is not on Kimi's side so this is probably the best long term move for Ferrari.

and honestly, i look forward to advancing my 'F1 agenda' next season by banging on about how bad it is that a living legend has to spend his time in a weak car. no doubt i'll spin some pro budget cap and anti big team speak in there as well!
Old 11 Sep 2018, 15:15 (Ref:3849415)   #309
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Paddy View Post
I'm glad Raikkonen has decided to stay in F1, albeit with a fledgling team. He has said himself that he feels like he's no slower than his pace of 10 years ago and his recent race-craft has shown he can still fight at the sharp end. So, in that respect, it'll be interesting to see if that fire is still there in 2019 and if he can haul in some good points for Sauber. It would be a shame if it was a flop decision and he ends his career in lacklustre fashion but I've confidence in him.

Congrats to LeClerc for getting the Scuderia seat. It's always a tough job going into a front-running team for the first time but Charles must be feeling the pressure doubly considering how unpopular a move it was for some in the paddock. He'll have to pull all of his talent out of the bag.
I'd hardly call them fledgling, as they made their F1 debut at the 1993 South Africa GP. However, they've never really got off the ground, despite Red Bull giving one wings and being sponsored by them from 1995-2004. There best season was in 2008, finishing 3rd in the WCC and Robert Kubica finishing 4th in the WDC.

Very glad to see Kimi's not gone.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 15:15 (Ref:3849416)   #310
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
OK, I’m going to say this to get it off my chest, and I don’t expect people to agree with me: I don’t get the veneration of Räikkönen. He’s a fast driver, and used to be faster still, but the man is a personality vacuum, monosyllabic to the point of making Mike Häkkinen look like Joan Rivers, and he seems to have absolutely no passion for racing, or for motorsport. Never seems excited by anything, never enthuses about a new car, doesn’t even have Spaniard-like tantrums about bad equipment. Just... nothing. I’m glad Ferrari have plumped for Leclerc, and I don’t *think* they’ll regret it.
Putting aside the Leclerc to Ferrari issue...

I think the description you provide of Kimi is exactly why people like him. He is not absent of personality, but rather his personality is contrary to others. I actually think he is passionate about racing, but he is just so different than everyone else. If everyone was like Kimi he wouldn't stand out.

Someone posted this the other day and I think it sums up Kimi...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ3qSe9nhk8

I am not a fan at all of crass or boorish behavior, but I don't think that is what his intent was. He was just being honest and straight to the point. Comments from other drivers seems too calculated, manufactured and guarded. Even when they are celebrating.

Richard
Old 11 Sep 2018, 15:25 (Ref:3849419)   #311
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see Kimi as giving the establishment a one finger salute and like Hamilton's thing is his flamboyance Kimi's is his lack of cooperation that everyone expects of an F1 driver.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 15:43 (Ref:3849423)   #312
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
has anything been mentioned about Kimi's retainer and who will be paying it?

i suspect he didnt come back for less money so im thinking that Ferrari/Fiat/Philip Morris would be the ones paying it?

i guess im also curious as to why he took this option. obviously not a lot of available seats but does this mean that Mclaren (if Kimi had an option to go there that is) have also made their decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I would be inclined to support a crowd funding effort to buy Kimi his own team! Note, Kimi would be required to be run the team as well. I would love to see his decisions as a team manager. Car would show up unpainted as he just didn't care enough to select a color.

Richard
said in jest but i would really like to see him involved in some capacity as a team owner.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 16:25 (Ref:3849430)   #313
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
has anything been mentioned about Kimi's retainer and who will be paying it?

i suspect he didnt come back for less money so im thinking that Ferrari/Fiat/Philip Morris would be the ones paying it?

i guess im also curious as to why he took this option. obviously not a lot of available seats but does this mean that Mclaren (if Kimi had an option to go there that is) have also made their decision?

said in jest but i would really like to see him involved in some capacity as a team owner.
According to some reports his return to Sauber is linked to a small stake in the team. I would FCA will be paying his retainer.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 11 Sep 2018, 16:39 (Ref:3849435)   #314
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
obviously not a lot of available seats but does this mean that Mclaren (if Kimi had an option to go there that is) have also made their decision?
They have Sainz and Norris confirmed quite some time ago now.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 16:53 (Ref:3849437)   #315
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I predicted Kimi would re-sign and am not surprised he is staying in F1 for two more years. I did read somewhere some time ago he had signed a two year contract. I am surprised it was with another team.

Kimi....driver of the races in 2019!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 Sep 2018, 18:27 (Ref:3849452)   #316
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
What’s the status of Double R Racing? Is Räikkönen still involved? And would any of that be affected by Kimi taking a stake in Sauber?
Old 11 Sep 2018, 18:55 (Ref:3849459)   #317
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Obvious move really isn't it? Kimi still wants to earn good money for a couple of years, so off to Sauber to "help out" a junior Ferrari Team. Bet he is being paid by Ferrari still.. Watch him help the Ferraris now against the Mercs with a slower Sauber.. Still taking the monthly pay check..and driving a nice personal motor I'm sure.. Bit like all of us would want from a nice job..
Old 11 Sep 2018, 19:55 (Ref:3849465)   #318
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
They have Sainz and Norris confirmed quite some time ago now.
must have missed that (or getting old)...question answered

thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
According to some reports his return to Sauber is linked to a small stake in the team.
very nice!
Old 11 Sep 2018, 20:35 (Ref:3849479)   #319
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I wonder if Räikkönen was ever under serious consideration by McLaren?
Old 11 Sep 2018, 21:37 (Ref:3849492)   #320
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I wonder if Räikkönen was ever under serious consideration by McLaren?
more the question is was McLaren ever under consideration with Kimi? Sauber are improving..... McLaren the opposite.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 22:10 (Ref:3849498)   #321
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
more the question is was McLaren ever under consideration with Kimi? Sauber are improving..... McLaren the opposite.
Hmmm, maybe. But somehow - I know neither scenario is likely - I can see McLaren beating Renault with the same engine than I can Sauber getting one over on Ferrari.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 10:36 (Ref:3849585)   #322
52Paddy
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
52Paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I'd hardly call them fledgling, as they made their F1 debut at the 1993 South Africa GP. However, they've never really got off the ground, despite Red Bull giving one wings and being sponsored by them from 1995-2004. There best season was in 2008, finishing 3rd in the WCC and Robert Kubica finishing 4th in the WDC.
If we take the term 'fledgling' to relate to 'inexperience' and 'underdeveloped' as in the google definition, then I'm well aware that they don't fit that bill given their history - although the Sauber team of late is vastly different from that of a number of years ago. You need to bear in mind how the BMW factory support era gave the team an entirely different dynamic.

However, that aside and pardon my mistake, but I should have used the term 'struggling' though felt it might be a little too harsh. Yet, it's not far from absolute truth. They have been struggling this season and, although LeClerc punched above his weight on some occasions, the team need to take a good few steps forward ahead of next season if Kimi is to be in strong midfield contention. And Kimi might be the boost the team need, in fact, so I'm happy with this move in some ways.

PS: I would have used the term 'fledgling' to refer to McLaren and Williams also but given their illustrious history I guess it doesn't relate. However, there is no doubt that this season has been one that made them seem like a fledgling team :-/
Old 12 Sep 2018, 10:41 (Ref:3849588)   #323
52Paddy
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
52Paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Obvious move really isn't it? Kimi still wants to earn good money for a couple of years, so off to Sauber to "help out" a junior Ferrari Team. Bet he is being paid by Ferrari still.. Watch him help the Ferraris now against the Mercs with a slower Sauber.. Still taking the monthly pay check..and driving a nice personal motor I'm sure.. Bit like all of us would want from a nice job..
I'd find that a very surprising racing attitude for Kimi to sign up for. But maybe I'll eat my words.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 11:10 (Ref:3849593)   #324
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Raikkonen to Sauber is a Ferrari insurance policy.

Ferrari need to find out if LeClerc really is "The One", but if he fails to meet expectations, they can always switch them back around.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 11:48 (Ref:3849601)   #325
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
Raikkonen to Sauber is a Ferrari insurance policy.

Ferrari need to find out if LeClerc really is "The One", but if he fails to meet expectations, they can always switch them back around.
You just can't see that happening though, can you.....?