Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Apr 2005, 06:08 (Ref:1280891)   #1
Matt H
Veteran

Matt H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Dumbrell charged with reckless driving

Gday.

Just heard on triple m radio in Victoria, that Paul Dumbrell has been charged with reckless driving, arising from the accident at Pukekoe (sp?) on the weekend.

Something is telling me that this is perhaps a police charge, not a stewards driving. Its a gut feeling, as the stewards werent mentioned in the report, and begs the question. If police are involved in a death in motorsport, and we know with rallying, that if a rally car breachs laws whilst driving to services etc, can police be involved with driving incidents on a racetrack such as perhaps alledged reckless driving by Dumbrell ??

Lets Ponder...
Old 18 Apr 2005, 06:09 (Ref:1280892)   #2
Spunky
Racer

Spunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is what they are talking about, this was posted in another thread.

Following an investigation by the IPO, car #24, Paul Dumbrell, was
charged with a breach of the rules, reckless driving (B6.7.3), involving
an incident with car #8, Craig Baird. Paul Dumbrell entered a plea of
not guilty and requested a Steward's Hearing. The hearing was opened. Mr
Dumbrell sought an adjournment to obtain a witness and collate evidence.
The hearing has been adjourned to a date yet to be set, but not before
26 April 2005. The hearing will conclude prior to the next V8 Supercar
Championship Series round in Western Australia.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 06:24 (Ref:1280900)   #3
Also a Believer
Veteran

Also a Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look its all pi** and wind, Baird even apologised for christ sake it was a racing incident as a direct result of wincups off. If the steweards take this any further then they need a flogging for bending to the rants and raves of an irate owner.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 06:45 (Ref:1280906)   #4
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm - Gore vs Perkins. Two men enter, one man leaves.

I'd like to see that!

Kramer
Old 18 Apr 2005, 06:47 (Ref:1280908)   #5
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dumbrell faces reckless charge
April 18, 2005

V8 SUPERCAR driver Paul Dumbrell has been charged with reckless driving over a high-speed, three-car crash in the New Zealand round of the championship yesterday.

Stewards have charged Dumbrell over the incident in which he, Craig Baird and Cameron McConville crashed at an estimated 225km/h.

Baird's Holden was virtually torn in two by the impact of the accident midway through race three of the round, won by Holden driver Greg Murphy.

Dumbrell has pleaded not guilty and will face a stewards' hearing at a date to be fixed.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 18 Apr 2005, 07:01 (Ref:1280922)   #6
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
James63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro
Baird's Holden was virtually torn in two
Old 18 Apr 2005, 07:16 (Ref:1280931)   #7
Matt H
Veteran

Matt H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
unusual that a news report would omit the words "stewards hearing" from a v8 report as such.

i do remember a release from gore saying he would seek legal redress.

i think gore has more money than perkins
Old 18 Apr 2005, 08:18 (Ref:1280958)   #8
Scott75
Veteran

Scott75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't think there was anything in it, very surprised with the charge. I've seen worse.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 08:33 (Ref:1280967)   #9
Bedford
Racer

Bedford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WOW!
The way I saw it, Baird drove into Dumbrell and put him into the wall.
Not anyones fault... just plain old racing incident I would have thought.

Dumbrell has caused his fair share of incidents, but I don't think they should be pointing the finger at him for this one.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 08:40 (Ref:1280970)   #10
fordo
Racer

fordo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is Bulls..t. Baird would have instinctively moved to the right a bit and lifted his foot when the other car came back on to the track from the left. Any driver would have. The slightly earlier shot showed Dumbrell clearly behind by a car length or 2 and if the above is true where else is he meant to have gone considering the conditions.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 08:41 (Ref:1280972)   #11
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
Well...in someone's incar shot (not sure who it was) you clearly saw Baird's brake lights come on when Whincup rejoined the circuit...Now..to me, it would seem Dumbrell's gone "oh fiddlesticks" and swerved to the right as Baird was slowing...Bairds also gone to the right as a reaction to whincup coming back on the track, his attention is on what Whincup is doing, not what Dumbrell is doing coming up the inside...He's continued to go right, Dumbrell is there, in the wall bang bang etc etc...In my opinion I would say clear cut racing incident...I'm not sure why either driver would have the entire blame placed on them.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 08:55 (Ref:1280981)   #12
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The people making this decision to charge Dumbrell over this incident need removing from their position. They are incompetant at the very least.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 08:57 (Ref:1280983)   #13
dumbrell_fan
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Victoria
dumbrell_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by James63
Well...in someone's incar shot (not sure who it was) you clearly saw Baird's brake lights come on when Whincup rejoined the circuit...Now..to me, it would seem Dumbrell's gone "oh fiddlesticks" and swerved to the right as Baird was slowing...Bairds also gone to the right as a reaction to whincup coming back on the track, his attention is on what Whincup is doing, not what Dumbrell is doing coming up the inside...He's continued to go right, Dumbrell is there, in the wall bang bang etc etc...In my opinion I would say clear cut racing incident...I'm not sure why either driver would have the entire blame placed on them.
Have to say, your very right there
Old 18 Apr 2005, 09:34 (Ref:1281012)   #14
Sol
Racer

Sol should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing incident, nothing more. End of story.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 09:47 (Ref:1281027)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its hard when a driver gets a reputation.. every incident involving them suddenly becomes their fault, guilty or not...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 18 Apr 2005, 09:57 (Ref:1281037)   #16
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Those who have read the ravings of the deekmeister will KNOW that he is NOT a fan of Competitor Punt Racing, Larry Perkings, BPR Richards (who, incidentally was at it again on the weekend - will he ever learn how to pass?) or the notorious Mr Dumb-Bell...
However, on this occaision, he is CLEARLY NOT AT FAULT, in any way known...
Car exits circuit, car looks to swerve back on circuit, car in front swerves in anticipation of aforementioned swerve, car behind (Dumbell) thinks "shyte, what is he doing, moves right then righter...crunch...wrong place wrong time but FOR ONCE he is not at fault.
There...don't call me biased anymore!

Now for BPB on Ambrose...grrrrr
Old 18 Apr 2005, 09:58 (Ref:1281038)   #17
TerryK
Racer

TerryK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
have to agree James that's spot on but perhaps Dumbrell could have backed off...this may have been enough.

There is no way WPS should be allowed to either take this to court or rant & rave to have Dumbrell charged.....next he will charge the track owners for damages...LOL
Old 18 Apr 2005, 10:19 (Ref:1281060)   #18
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol
Racing incident, nothing more. End of story.
Agree 100%.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 18 Apr 2005, 10:21 (Ref:1281063)   #19
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I am sure that "fiddlesticks" is exactly what dumbrell said, if not then, he must have said it when their hatchbacks came to rest.

All said and done, racing incident.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 10:28 (Ref:1281071)   #20
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK
have to agree James that's spot on but perhaps Dumbrell could have backed off...this may have been enough.
Well for us sitting watching the TV it's easy enough to say. But considering how fast these things go and how quickly the incident happened, Dumbrell would have had to make a rather quick decision on what to do...he couldn't have anticpated Baird coming so far over to the right, he probably didnt even see Whincup at all he was that close behind Baird. When you're in a position like that with a car slowing in front of you, poor visibility, wet track etc. your natural instinct would be to swerve around the car slowing rather than rear end them, in this case Paul has gone to the right. He is travelling faster than Baird at this point due to Baird braking, so naturally he is going to be along side Baird rather quickly, Baird has come over so Dumbrell is trying to move over aswell, runs out of room and they contact. You don't get a lot of time to "think" or plan what to do, so I can't see the outcome been any different whether it was Dumbrell or a more experienced driver, lets say Skaife.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 10:30 (Ref:1281073)   #21
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd like to see all the angles and telemetry before coming to any conclusions on fault, but at the moment the only thing the officials have decided is that Dumbrell has a case to answer, they HAVEN'T found anyone guilty, so I'm not sure why anyone should be sacked?

Last edited by mayhem; 18 Apr 2005 at 10:32.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 10:49 (Ref:1281090)   #22
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
They must think he is in the wrong to have "charged" him.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 10:53 (Ref:1281093)   #23
v8man
Racer

v8man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem
I'd like to see all the angles and telemetry before coming to any conclusions on fault, but at the moment the only thing the officials have decided is that Dumbrell has a case to answer, they HAVEN'T found anyone guilty, so I'm not sure why anyone should be sacked?

Sorry Mayhem but according to this quote
'Following an investigation by the IPO, car #24, Paul Dumbrell, was
charged with a breach of the rules, reckless driving (B6.7.3), involving
an incident with car #8, Craig Baird. Paul Dumbrell entered a plea of
not guilty and requested a Steward's Hearing. The hearing was opened. Mr
Dumbrell sought an adjournment to obtain a witness and collate evidence.
The hearing has been adjourned to a date yet to be set, but not before
26 April 2005. The hearing will conclude prior to the next V8 Supercar
Championship Series round in Western Australia.'
it appears to me the the IPO has charged Paul Dumbrell with Reckless driving so that is more than a case to answer.
The way the IPO is set up is that he reviews all incidents and if he charges a driver the driver then has the option of accepting the charge or requesting a Steward's Hearing.
If the IPO is going to charge P Dumbrell with this why was T Kelly not changed with driving into the back of P Morris . No, I think that was a racing incident as well but if you blame P Dumbrell for one accident then you must say that T Kelly had a lot more time to react to the cars in front slowing and the safety car board had already been displayed in T Kelly's case and he admitted on TV that he knew it was out
Just read on another forum that T Kelly was charged with reckless driving and charged $5000 plus a equivalent to a 10 second stop/time/go (45 seconds total)

Last edited by v8man; 18 Apr 2005 at 11:00.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 11:01 (Ref:1281107)   #24
carbontub
Racer

carbontub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing Incident i feel, the bumpy front straight didnt help bairds cause either, the car got out of shape due to the bumps. Dumbrell wrong place wrong time.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 11:22 (Ref:1281126)   #25
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It looked to me like Bairdo got on the brakes when Whincup went off, Dumbrell then moved to the inside to avoid hitting Baird up the backside, then when Whincup rejoined the track Baird moved over and accidentally squeezed PD into the wall turning them both around. It was a racing incident nothing more, all be it an expensive one.