Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Andrew Jones or Paul Dumbrell?
Andrew Jones 9 56.25%
Paul Dumbrell 7 43.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 Sep 2008, 12:59 (Ref:2293726)   #1
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andrew Jones or Paul Dumbrell?

a mate raised this question to me today i didn't have an answer to really.

both have a development series tittle.
both have done SFA in the the main game.
both have their drives for either $$$ or family not on merrit.

so who would you chose?

it's a tough one i think i will go for Dumbrell as i think he has shown on the odd day that he can turn it on a little like at the end of 06 with JDR, he matched or bettered McConkin a couple of times in the PWR hacks, i still think it's a toss of a coin maybe Dumbrell's $ gets him over the line also.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 13:41 (Ref:2293747)   #2
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neither to be honest, but if given a choice Jones has shown more in the enduros which to me holds big currency.
Old 20 Sep 2008, 02:13 (Ref:2294053)   #3
Suttory
Racer

Australia
Too far away from a racetrack !
Suttory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andrew Jones any day

"You could call it Falcon Unbelievable!"
Old 20 Sep 2008, 04:51 (Ref:2294083)   #4
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
both have their drives for either $$$ or family not on merrit.

They are not the only two there due to mummy & daddy'd money. Were do you want me to start.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 20 Sep 2008, 12:40 (Ref:2294159)   #5
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR
They are not the only two there due to mummy & daddy'd money.
The difference is Rick can actually drive. Junior well he's a lost cause.

Oh and I'd take Andy Jones any day over Dumbrell.
Old 21 Sep 2008, 03:29 (Ref:2294478)   #6
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whoever pays the most for a seat in the second car.
Old 21 Sep 2008, 04:55 (Ref:2294483)   #7
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can't really compare the 2. I'm sure Jones would have more results to show if he was driving the HSVDT car.
Old 21 Sep 2008, 23:49 (Ref:2294840)   #8
JustASupporter
Racer

JustASupporter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
Whoever pays the most for a seat in the second car.
Likewise
Old 22 Sep 2008, 00:37 (Ref:2294848)   #9
Wood-duck
Racer

Wood-duck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY
You can't really compare the 2. I'm sure Jones would have more results to show if he was driving the HSVDT car.
They are both driving WP Commodores..... there shouldnt be that much difference anyway....
Old 22 Sep 2008, 00:56 (Ref:2294851)   #10
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As much as I'd love Dumbrell to be successful (because he seems like a thoroughly decent chap), he just hasn't been.

If I had to choose between the two, I would probably go with Jones.

However, if Brad Jones Racing was Mac Racing, my two regular drivers would be McConville and Wilson.
Old 11 Oct 2012, 11:30 (Ref:3149898)   #11
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
As much as I'd love Dumbrell to be successful (because he seems like a thoroughly decent chap),
Ahh, it makes sense now. He's a good bloke, so you're a fan of his. It's nothing to do with his driving.

Quote:
he just hasn't been.
Well, taking away the fact he won on Sunday and, as a result, his career is now validated. Did you ever consider, despite being a good bloke, that he is a terrible racing driver? I mean, he's had a few hours of competence, that have paid off spectacularly, but miserable results otherwise.

Think about it it? 4 top 3 finishes, 2 were as the support driver to Whincup. The other two were on the same weekend at Sandown, a couple of years ago. Those podiums at Sandown tell me that the car was working great (whatever the engineers happened to do) and he made good use of it. Along with that, 1 top 10 overall c'ship placing

So, taking into account how highly rated he seems to have been and looking at his stats on wiki. I'm going to say, in his full-time career, par would be 2 top 10 c'ship placings at Perkins, with a couple of race wins and 1 outright. 9th to 12th at Walkinshaw in '09, with a couple of podiums. Top 10 in the title, in both years with FPR, with 3 race wins. Maybe, 1/2 a dozen other podiums overall. That's a fair minimum to expect, just to make par. Yet, he's not even close to those results!

But since he's a good bloke, it doesn't matter, doesn't it?

Quote:
If I had to choose between the two, I would probably go with Jones.
What???
Old 11 Oct 2012, 13:11 (Ref:3149955)   #12
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Well, taking away the fact he won on Sunday and, as a result, his career is now validated. Did you ever consider, despite being a good bloke, that he is a terrible racing driver? I mean, he's had a few hours of competence, that have paid off spectacularly, but miserable results otherwise.
What about Percat? How does he compare to Dumbrell and Jones? Walkinshaw protege... Bathurst winner! Although not a Dev series champion after several attempts.
Old 11 Oct 2012, 18:57 (Ref:3150080)   #13
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what is with trolling all these old threads back up?
Old 11 Oct 2012, 19:42 (Ref:3150092)   #14
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Think about it it? 4 top 3 finishes, 2 were as the support driver to Whincup. The other two were on the same weekend at Sandown, a couple of years ago. Those podiums at Sandown tell me that the car was working great (whatever the engineers happened to do) and he made good use of it. Along with that, 1 top 10 overall c'ship placing
So, taking into account how highly rated he seems to have been and looking at his stats on wiki. I'm going to say, in his full-time career, par would be 2 top 10 c'ship placings at Perkins, with a couple of race wins and 1 outright. 9th to 12th at Walkinshaw in '09, with a couple of podiums. Top 10 in the title, in both years with FPR, with 3 race wins. Maybe, 1/2 a dozen other podiums overall. That's a fair minimum to expect, just to make par. Yet, he's not even close to those results!
But since he's a good bloke, it doesn't matter, doesn't it?
What???
As they say "you're only as good as your last race"... and PD's last race was a pretty solid affair.
I'm not saying he's the greatest driver ever to set foot in V8Supercars (he's also far from the worst), but he proved himself to be a very very solid enduro co-driver (maybe even best in class last weekend) and that sir, was what he was getting paid for.
Old 11 Oct 2012, 22:16 (Ref:3150152)   #15
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is this guy for real?

You refer to how I like Dumbrell because he's a good bloke, yet I chose Jones at the time... Which inherently defeats whatever point you are trying to make. You also conveniently ignore that I said I wouldn't take either of them.

That was four years ago... Back then, I was frustrated that Dumbrell was yet to deliver on the promise that so many saw in him. He has since grown up, figured out how to be consistent, and gone on to win races while spending a year or two running right near the front of the main game.

All you are doing is proving my (and everyone else's) point, by pointing out that I used to be a pretty solid critic of Dumbrell... But he got his stuff together and, with an open mind (you should try it some time), his performances over the past few years won me over.

He's just delivered two flawless drives in the enduros to continue that trend.

Four years pass, things change, Dumbrell figured stuff out... Maybe give it four more years and you might too.

I can't believe I responded...
Old 12 Oct 2012, 10:34 (Ref:3150349)   #16
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
What about Percat? How does he compare to Dumbrell and Jones? Walkinshaw protege... Bathurst winner! Although not a Dev series champion after several attempts.
Jones is not important in this comparison. This is a hard one to answer, because we're not comparing apples with apples. Unless, you can be a bit more specific? Do you mean that Dumbrell may have more credibilty than Percat because he has won a dev series and Percat hasn't? I don't rate Dumbrell's dev series anyway. It would need someone else to confirm, but with the car Dumbrell was racing, it'd be like a better than/mid range V8 team racing in the Kumho series.

Percat? I don't know how to answer I don't follow that series closely. I will say, I'm not a fan of teams "developing" drivers with their own programs. Long term, I think it stuffs up more drivers, more often, than improves them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
As they say "you're only as good as your last race"...
Graeme Bailey, Midge Bosworth > Mark Skaife?

Quote:
and PD's last race was a pretty solid affair.
I agree. In isolation, you're right. It was a solid drive. But that all it was.

Quote:
but he proved himself to be a very very solid enduro co-driver (maybe even best in class last weekend)
I would take it back a notch, say he's very solid no pressure. If the team was relying on him to juggle everything and win the race, he would've capitulated easily. After all the time he's spent "racing", you couldn't trust him to take the initiative. That makes him ****.

Quote:
and that sir, was what he was getting paid for.
He was getting paid???