Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 6 Mar 2018, 12:50 (Ref:3806234)   #3126
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Who would fund this so called guest car?
Nic Hamilton's entry with AMD was a TOCA guest entry, his backing for it came from a major energy drink sponsor so it's not beyond the realms of possibility for TOCA to pull strings to put an attractive headline grabbing name in a car paid for by a big brand who would welcome the associated press coverage.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a competition minded celebrity in a car on the 60th weekend. Celeb chef maybe? Gets headlines and maybe swell the gate? A Mr Hollywood ticks those boxes.... He's driven a PMR Astra in 2017, holds the right licence and PMR are building a third chassis. (And they already have one Cook in the team!)

Last edited by medius; 6 Mar 2018 at 12:58.
Old 6 Mar 2018, 13:47 (Ref:3806239)   #3127
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
I wouldn't be shocked to see a competition minded celebrity in a car on the 60th weekend. Celeb chef maybe? Gets headlines and maybe swell the gate? A Mr Hollywood ticks those boxes.... He's driven a PMR Astra in 2017, holds the right licence and PMR are building a third chassis. (And they already have one Cook in the team!)
Talking of Celeb Chef's is Mr J Martin a friend of Mr Plato maybe he could drive one of the Subaru's?
Old 6 Mar 2018, 14:25 (Ref:3806254)   #3128
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Jack Sears (a steak for a living) Trophy!
Old 6 Mar 2018, 14:40 (Ref:3806263)   #3129
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
He was/is, though he was recently tests TCR UK cars.

Not sure what will happen now, Price was rumoured a while back, but don't think he has the funds for the season.
Price testing today in TCR UK - described as Ex-BTCC?

Old 6 Mar 2018, 20:04 (Ref:3806345)   #3130
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Price testing today in TCR UK - described as Ex-BTCC?

Driver, presumably, not car?!
Old 6 Mar 2018, 20:15 (Ref:3806346)   #3131
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Driver, presumably, not car?!
Yes - which if correct means he is not in the 3rd BMR (or any BTCC car for 2018). More fuel to the only 2 Subaru theory?
Old 6 Mar 2018, 22:47 (Ref:3806371)   #3132
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Sorry I'm a bit late, have only just got onto the internet properly today, but it's good that Motorbase have announced it, hopefully Cole can prove he doesn't just go well with RWD. People were saying his Rockingham win was just a one off, but he had actually run in the top ten at the three previous meetings and his drive in Snetterton R2 showed he has finally got to grips with tin tops
Old 6 Mar 2018, 22:56 (Ref:3806377)   #3133
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Yes - which if correct means he is not in the 3rd BMR (or any BTCC car for 2018). More fuel to the only 2 Subaru theory?
Looking more and more likely: who can we think of who has a pot of gold and does not have a BTCC seat? I'm struggling on that one.

Of course if Scottys fortunes have taken a turn for the better maybe he will drive again?
Old 7 Mar 2018, 00:18 (Ref:3806395)   #3134
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Looking more and more likely: who can we think of who has a pot of gold and does not have a BTCC seat? I'm struggling on that one.

Of course if Scottys fortunes have taken a turn for the better maybe he will drive again?
Even if they haven't, maybe we'll see him behind the wheel.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 06:42 (Ref:3806502)   #3135
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Are we sure it won't be MJ in a third Subaru? He must have a budget of sorts and now that Cole and apparently Price are out of the picture, who else this close to the season start will have a budget? Surely those that have will be signed up already.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
Old 7 Mar 2018, 07:30 (Ref:3806507)   #3136
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Are we sure it won't be MJ in a third Subaru? He must have a budget of sorts and now that Cole and apparently Price are out of the picture, who else this close to the season start will have a budget? Surely those that have will be signed up already.

Let's see, a Subaru works car driven by a ford dealer who is personally sponsored by Volvo... No reason why not, john cleland was in a similar position but it might be difficult getting his personal sponsors onto the car
Old 7 Mar 2018, 07:57 (Ref:3806511)   #3137
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Let's see, a Subaru works car driven by a ford dealer who is personally sponsored by Volvo... No reason why not, john cleland was in a similar position but it might be difficult getting his personal sponsors onto the car
MJ didn't promote the family dealership on the motorbase Ford and his family team entered a BMW dealer team car in the BTCC back in the S2000 days. He was/is sponsored by Volvo Trucks not cars. I doubt any of the above would matter to Subaru, who don't appear to fund the running budget of the cars.

Old 7 Mar 2018, 08:28 (Ref:3806514)   #3138
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

That's if there is a 3rd Scooby. Nothing official has been announced that is the case.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 10:58 (Ref:3806551)   #3139
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
If there is a third Subaru - the driver may already have been signed a while ago, and just not announced yet.

Mat Jackson said that the timing of his departure from Motorbase meant he would probably be missing this season. If he'd had discussions with Team Dynamics, he may already have spoken to other teams too (including BMR) and found out that the seat was already taken, or doesn't exist.

Unless that is the reason he wasn't interested in the AmD seat?!?!
Old 7 Mar 2018, 11:30 (Ref:3806563)   #3140
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have thought the MG seat was a better proposition than the Subaru one given how successful the MG has been over the years.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 13:02 (Ref:3806605)   #3141
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
I would have thought the MG seat was a better proposition than the Subaru one given how successful the MG has been over the years.
I would have loved to see Jackson in the MG, I really think its a decent car, decent environment for him and we could have seen it fly up the field, unfortunately i think it will be going to a random pay driver who can be described by Shaun as "promising"

shame but thats the way it is these days
Old 7 Mar 2018, 13:53 (Ref:3806617)   #3142
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It remains to be seen if the MG has any life in the old dog yet, it’s been around since 2012, which is a long time
Old 7 Mar 2018, 14:01 (Ref:3806619)   #3143
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It remains to be seen if the MG has any life in the old dog yet, it’s been around since 2012, which is a long time
Its not been looked after for the last couple of years tho, I understand its been on a diet this winter, and they have been completely rebuilt.
Would be a real shame not to have a top line driver see what it can do as seems a waste to rely on "also rans" too busy getting used to the car and series

Last edited by btccbloke; 7 Mar 2018 at 14:10.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 14:02 (Ref:3806620)   #3144
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think I've ever looked forward to BTCC media day as much as I am this year... if only because it'll put a stop to the ever-decreasing circles of who will be driving for whom in what!
Old 7 Mar 2018, 14:50 (Ref:3806633)   #3145
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Does the age of the car really matter that much given how the cars are built? The cars have been on the jigs at Pooles haven't they so I'd expect them to be every bit as "tight" as a new shell.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 15:42 (Ref:3806645)   #3146
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Does the age of the car really matter that much given how the cars are built? The cars have been on the jigs at Pooles haven't they so I'd expect them to be every bit as "tight" as a new shell.
I think it depends on if any of the BoP measures are carried over from previous seasons.

If they are continuing a development race vs TOCA's 'hampering', then the MG's may have been developed as far as possible. If the slate is wiped clean each season, then no reason why it can't be as good as any other car in the right hands.

The Avensis is still developing each year, as seen on the 2018 aero update....
Old 7 Mar 2018, 18:27 (Ref:3806679)   #3147
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I don't think I've ever looked forward to BTCC media day as much as I am this year... if only because it'll put a stop to the ever-decreasing circles of who will be driving for whom in what!
Is the media day open to the public? Is there an admission charge?
Old 7 Mar 2018, 18:43 (Ref:3806680)   #3148
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Is the media day open to the public? Is there an admission charge?
Usually free admission with gates open about 12.00-12.30
Old 7 Mar 2018, 18:48 (Ref:3806682)   #3149
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I think it depends on if any of the BoP measures are carried over from previous seasons.

If they are continuing a development race vs TOCA's 'hampering', then the MG's may have been developed as far as possible. If the slate is wiped clean each season, then no reason why it can't be as good as any other car in the right hands.

The Avensis is still developing each year, as seen on the 2018 aero update....
I think the general consensus is that under Shaun's stewardship the cars will be better ran and possible better engineered than when they were a second string afterthought out of Warren's workshops.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 19:05 (Ref:3806683)   #3150
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
I think the general consensus is that under Shaun's stewardship the cars will be better ran and possible better engineered than when they were a second string afterthought out of Warren's workshops.
I really hope so. With the grid even better this year they're going to be in trouble if they haven't improved since '17. At least we know there'll be an improvement on the livery... don't think you could get much more boring than last year's!