Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 23 Feb 2015, 15:19 (Ref:3508040)   #26
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was that Chateau du Lude GT6?

We call it Chateau allude. As it took us three attempts to get there when it was open for tours (although we did go around the grounds on one of those attempts).

Absolutely stunning place, we were lucky and explained that we had been a number of times but the signage for opening was poor. So the chap tagged us on to the back of a school tour; which turned out to be being led by an English girl there for the summer as she was a languages student.

It turned out that the chap who had arranged that, and who we spoke to was the Count himself. I think he's a Le Mans-er as there was a huge 'history of Le Mans' books in one of the lounges. Well worth a visit.

And Rillettes du Mans is definitely the way forward!!!
Old 23 Feb 2015, 18:11 (Ref:3508088)   #27
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Yes it was, Insynge, kevin and I spent a good couple of hours there and it was well worth it, a real classic moated chateau.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 19:19 (Ref:3508105)   #28
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Tour of du Lude is, as GT6 says, well worthwhile - some really interesting bits to the inside of the chateau, and the laid back guide added a lot to the experience.

That said, even when the chateau itself isn't receiving visitors (it's still actively occupied as a house, so fair enough) the gardens are absolutely superb and well worth wandering about, especially when you get to the more remote bits. Given the general hubub of Le Mans week finding some time when you can locate a bit of peace and quiet can be appreciated, and sitting in the gardens by the lazy river in the late afternoon is really very nice indeed.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 22:48 (Ref:3508181)   #29
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's a bit like the wander James and I sometimes have down to the river with a baguette from the local baker at Arnage....
Old 24 Feb 2015, 10:34 (Ref:3508341)   #30
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Given the general hubub of Le Mans week finding some time when you can locate a bit of peace and quiet can be appreciated, and sitting in the gardens by the lazy river in the late afternoon is really very nice indeed.
I know this probably makes me sound old and miserable, but that's why I like camping where we do away from the circuit. I like going along and being a part of it all. But I equally like getting away from the masses for a quiet time, nice drink, bit of a read or a walk (there's a huge lake by out campsite) and just switching off. And getting a shower with no queue and always piping hot water for as long as I like
Old 24 Feb 2015, 21:07 (Ref:3508546)   #31
Djcomix
Racer

European Union
Le mans
Djcomix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Friends !
In the old town of Le mans you have a good restaurant called 'La maison d'Elise' it's good and looks like a romantic restaurant.
http://www.restaurant-lamaisondelise.fr/
in the center you have also 'la Réserve'
http://www.restaurantlareserve.fr/

If you want a really good restaurant there is 'Le Beaulieu'
http://www.restaurantlebeaulieu.com/

And my favorite but at Arnage 'Les Matfeux' , if you like wine you'll be in heaven !
you can have some really good wine glasses like 'Chateau Yquem' or others.
http://www.aubergedesmatfeux.fr/

On the circuit you can go at the restaurant le casque which is at the technoparc. I don't like the food there but you can have fresh beer, wine or champagne ;-)
Old 26 Feb 2015, 11:49 (Ref:3509211)   #32
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
'Les Matfeux' looks lovely! Will see if we can get in there.

A little bit further afield, but has anyone been to Le Moulin des Quatre saisons in La Fleche? Keep meaning to go...

Last edited by Muppetdave901; 26 Feb 2015 at 11:58.
Old 26 Feb 2015, 14:03 (Ref:3509277)   #33
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see the reference to Matfeux above (which is a bit rich for us - in both senses of the word), but as we are planning to go to Arnage Friday afternoon/ evening can anyone recommend a good bar (or 2) and perhaps more importantly a decent (and hopefully reasonably priced) restaurant?
We'll walk to the bar by the level crossing closest to Bleu Nord as usual, but then need some direction from there rather than just hit the main drag.
Old 26 Feb 2015, 14:37 (Ref:3509287)   #34
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrimage View Post
I see the reference to Matfeux above (which is a bit rich for us - in both senses of the word), but as we are planning to go to Arnage Friday afternoon/ evening can anyone recommend a good bar (or 2) and perhaps more importantly a decent (and hopefully reasonably priced) restaurant?
We'll walk to the bar by the level crossing closest to Bleu Nord as usual, but then need some direction from there rather than just hit the main drag.
The big red and white bar on the left (probably the next one on from the bar you mentioned, as you walk in to town) is probably the 'nicest' of the bunch in race week from recollection. Other than that I've only done the usual crowd to be honest.

Unsurprisingly, the other year we went to (going towards the level crossing from the roundabout) the one on the right literally next to the stream where it goes under the road on the Monday after the race. For less money we had a way better meal!
Old 26 Feb 2015, 16:51 (Ref:3509319)   #35
Michel Vaillant
Racer

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Michel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMichel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrimage View Post
In the main street of Arnage, you have many bars but it's not very quiet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BamDRY3Tia4
Old 26 Feb 2015, 21:23 (Ref:3509388)   #36
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For those who don't want to just drink 100% of the time, there's a great little boulangerie/patissiere there too....
Old 26 Feb 2015, 23:55 (Ref:3509469)   #37
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a wealth of information. I will be visiting a few castles in the area and plan on making the most of my day in Le Mans. I greatly appreciate everyone's advice. I may not be able to go during the greatest race on earth, but I'm confident in that I will have a good time.

Thanks to everyone!

Merci beaucoup!
Old 27 Feb 2015, 00:10 (Ref:3509472)   #38
Michel Vaillant
Racer

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Michel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMichel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The website of the Tourist office of Le Mans :

http://www.lemans-tourisme.com/fr/

And the website of Sarthe département :

http://www.tourism.sarthe.com/

"Vallée du Loir" (south of Sarthe département) website :

http://www.vallee-du-loir.com/voir-f...rcs-et-jardins

Old 27 Feb 2015, 14:33 (Ref:3509677)   #39
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel Vaillant View Post
The website of the Tourist office of Le Mans :

http://www.lemans-tourisme.com/fr/

And the website of Sarthe département :

http://www.tourism.sarthe.com/

"Vallée du Loir" (south of Sarthe département) website :

http://www.vallee-du-loir.com/voir-f...rcs-et-jardins

Old 2 Mar 2015, 14:00 (Ref:3510746)   #40
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England