Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 1 Feb 2014, 00:27 (Ref:3362768)   #1
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
SBF version 2014

January has been a busy time not least with my hitting a personal milestone birthday, which my manager decided I should celebrate by taking on more work.

Anyway 2 unfinished designs but you'll get the idea.

January 1

Running anti/counter clockwise
the GP circuit is 5.394 km or 3.37 miles
The South International is 3. 553km or 2.22 miles
and the Short North is 1.810km or 1.13 miles
Attached Thumbnails
Jan 1 dimensions.jpg   Jan 1  2 circuits.jpg  
Old 1 Feb 2014, 00:37 (Ref:3362771)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The second circuit is so full of layering issues I can't even give you an accurate measurement ...I'm sure I noted it somewhere but I've tidied the desk up.

Anyway here is what I have...
It runs clockwise
Attached Thumbnails
January 2 Dimensions.jpg  
Old 1 Feb 2014, 21:58 (Ref:3363028)   #3
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the long left of 12 a/b and 13 in the top of the first one, and the second one has a nice flow, though I have a mild concern over the runoff of the "T".
Old 20 Feb 2014, 22:10 (Ref:3370529)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Time for another ...

Running anti/counter clockwise the circuit comes in 3 variations.

Click image for larger version

Name:	February 1 Dims.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	42033

With the surrounds in place together with grandstands and some pit building the overall effect is that it looks like this.

Name:	February 1 Finished Top View.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	42034

Attached below are a few close ups.

as always comment criticisms and possible edits are welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails
February 1 Front Straight.jpg   February 1 Options.jpg   February 1 seats above the gravel.jpg  

February 1 Hairpin view.jpg  
Old 21 Feb 2014, 00:33 (Ref:3370566)   #5
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice as always. Great rythm and flow. As always

From my own experience I know damn well that runoff space - or, rather, the ampleness of it - is often very hard to judge from images - but how much runoff is there before the secton going under the bridge?
Old 24 Feb 2014, 23:59 (Ref:3371842)   #6
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Due to the nature of turns 2 and the curve of T3, I don't really see T4 before the bridge as a fast corner at all, more a tricky line. to that extent the gravel area isn't huge, but does extend all the way to the bridge.

Name:	February 1 bridge gravel.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	755.6 KB
ID:	42054

Given the close up that's now on display, I'll take this opportunity to apologise to civil engineers and bridge builders everywhere.
Old 25 Feb 2014, 22:20 (Ref:3372198)   #7
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like this one a lot, very clever use of the space indeed.

I agree with SBF, the runoff at the left turn under the bridge looks ok.

The grandstand over the gravel is pretty cool too, I must do this at some point!
Old 26 Feb 2014, 00:33 (Ref:3372232)   #8
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
The grandstand over the gravel is something I've done 2 or 3 times now, got the idea from Abu Dhabi, and to a lesser extent Assen.
Old 26 Feb 2014, 01:58 (Ref:3372245)   #9
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Due to the nature of turns 2 and the curve of T3, I don't really see T4 before the bridge as a fast corner at all, more a tricky line. to that extent the gravel area isn't huge, but does extend all the way to the bridge.

Attachment 42054

Given the close up that's now on display, I'll take this opportunity to apologise to civil engineers and bridge builders everywhere.
Completely my fault: I toyed with the idea of pulling your leg by advising reverse track direction - and then went on believing the track would actually go the other direction...

Yeah, a blond moment from a brown haired man
Old 18 Mar 2014, 00:27 (Ref:3381314)   #10
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
This was supposed to be a February design and I really wanted to finish it, but given it's now mid march and I have other ideas floating though my mind, I'll post it as is.

Name:	February 2 Top view.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	42190
Old 18 Mar 2014, 21:45 (Ref:3381655)   #11
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Great one.
Old 19 Mar 2014, 01:02 (Ref:3381720)   #12
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I've upgraded to Sketchup 2014

And this is the first circuit I've started with a clear screen as it were.

Name:	March 1 Top VIew.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	42191

It's if anything a bit retro in that the lines are drawn in really quite heavy and dark, but the on joining together or intersecting, the shape that's made changes to the lighter construction line that we are used to.

It makes it a lot easier to spot layering issues... those on the site when Sketch-up changed the light lines all the time will remember the consternation of layering issues that now couldn't be obviously seen.

As a result I find it quicker to use to get a design to the above stage, it mght even allow me to get further around the gravel traps before the next idea springs into my head and I loose interest.

A couple of grumbles, the tool box is floating, and I have worked out how to permanently nail it to the bottom or top of the screen.
Secondly while all the regular tools are there the have rebadged some of them.... remember I've jumped from Sketchup 8 to 2014 - there was a 2013 version so if you are or were using that, you might have seen some of the differences already.
Old 21 Mar 2014, 08:55 (Ref:3382568)   #13
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This was supposed to be a February design and I really wanted to finish it, but given it's now mid march and I have other ideas floating though my mind, I'll post it as is.

Attachment 42190
The blot shape of this one is beautiful and original. Yet, (ironically, in true SBF fashion) I wonder if it might be an even better driving experience run clockwise.

Either way, this track is one of the greats which I would love to see on a simulator.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 00:15 (Ref:3385383)   #14
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Ok here is another circuit

The sizes are shown along with the Dimensions in the first image, it runs anti-clockwise as shown in the top view, and there are a couple of other angles just to give a bit of perspective.
Attached Thumbnails
March 2 Dimensions.jpg   March 2 Top Flat.jpg   March 2 Pit complex.jpg  

March 2 haiprin view.jpg  
Old 31 Mar 2014, 19:21 (Ref:3387162)   #15
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
This next one is actually an evolution of the circuit above.

I really liked the lower part, but realised that it would be even better running clockwise so with a little stretch here, and a tightening up there, with the gravel traps realigned

Here is a clockwise version...
Attached Thumbnails
March 3 Dims and Sizes.jpg   March 3 Top View.jpg   March 3 hairpin view.jpg  

March 3 last corner.jpg  
Old 2 Apr 2014, 20:03 (Ref:3388005)   #16
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Anti-clockwise with an outside pitlane this time,
Attached Thumbnails
April 1 Top View.jpg   April 1 Dims.jpg   April 1 pit entry.jpg  

April 1 options.jpg  
Old 23 Apr 2014, 07:17 (Ref:3397076)   #17
Yannick
Veteran

The blot shape of your most recent design looks very Hugenholtzy to me. Kudos.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 07:21 (Ref:3397078)   #18
Yannick
Veteran

Quote:
I've upgraded to Sketchup 2014

And this is the first circuit I've started with a clear screen as it were.

Attachment 42191
This reminds me of a hybrid of Yas Marina and Magny-Cours. And it also looks like the infield road circuit of an asymmetric tri-oval superspeedway. Would you be interested in giving a try to a tri-oval redesign of the circuit?
Old 6 May 2014, 00:00 (Ref:3402643)   #19
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
A couple of months ago I commented that SKGThunder's designs was reminicent of an old airfield style shape and I roughly added some runways t his design.
That got me thinking, I've done modern airfield designs before and tried to fit racing circuit into old airfields but this time I've decided to go the whole hog and actually design a WW2 style airfield.

The Circuit that never was...

The airfield was a fighter base rather than the bomber bases of Silverstone, Snetterton and Croft. Initially grass strip, it went on to get concrete runways and perimeter track laid as Britain moved into the Jet age. But the reality was that the runways were too short, even extending the Longest runway as far as possible still didn't bring it up to the larger airbases around the UK.

As a result it got sold off, and was bought by a motor racing enthusiast in the late 1950s, with the intention of running events around the perimeter using the hard standing at the maintenance hangers as a pit.

After a few years the circuit went out of use, but was resurrected in the late 80s by an ageing multimillionaire businessman who although seeing the promise of putting the Perimeter track back into use, decided to pick the best of the circuit and design his own race track. It was to be 5.2 km or 3.2 miles in Length in a "C" shape predominantly anti-clockwise.

Sadly the owner died and circuit was never built, and the airfield sold, as has gone the way of many others being torn up with nearby towns expanding over it, housing estates and streets named for the aircraft, engines and Hero's that flew from the site, that mean little or nothing to the current residents.

The only remnant of the proposal is this image of the racing circuit design

Name:	May 2 Airfield layout.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	42461
Old 6 May 2014, 01:50 (Ref:3402659)   #20
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi

I'm usually more of a 'lurker' in this forum (and the rest of 10 Tenths) but I feel the need to post now because I had almost the exact same idea very recently. I visited Thruxton for the BTCC meeting, and prior to that I've been looking in to modelling Thruxton to a standard fit for the 'new breed' of PC racing sims.
I hadn't noticed before the way that the complex (Campbell, Cobb, Seagrave) in the first segment aligns with the ends of the two crossed runways, and it made me want to design an airfield first, model that, and then start working on a few years' worth of track layout and alterations. I was thinking of several variants from different periods of the track's use, show a bit of evolutions, etc.

Anyway. I love the bit of backstory you've given, particularly the street names. Reminds me of the Brooklands circuit. I've very little track design experience, so I'm not going to offer any criticism of yours, but I do like the way it uses parts of all three runways.
Old 6 May 2014, 23:03 (Ref:3403123)   #21
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Thanks for the kind comments,

Feel free to start a thread of your own, you don't need to be graphics whizz, just take a look at some of the other threads, Yannick prefers to work on graph paper, we have had photos and scans of pencil drawing.

All are very welcome.
Old 17 May 2014, 19:29 (Ref:3407309)   #22
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Going to post a circuit that is gathering dust, since I've had no motivation to finish it due to being a bit unwell the last week or so...
Attached Thumbnails
May 1.jpg  
Old 22 May 2014, 19:38 (Ref:3409094)   #23
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
This is a complete design which is unusual for me these days

It's another multi layout design with so many different layouts it'll need 2 posts

So here the circuit from different angles ....
Attached Thumbnails
April 2 top view.jpg   April 2 Main Straight paddock.jpg   April 2 outer pit.jpg  

April 2 No pit loop.jpg  
Old 22 May 2014, 19:49 (Ref:3409102)   #24
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
And here are the different sizes and configurations

Name:	April 2 Full Circuit.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	42608

This circuit uses the Infield Pits with T1 at the upper left end of the straight.

Name:	April 2 Inner outer.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	363.4 KB
ID:	42609
The Inner and Outer circuits can run independently from their own pits, the Inner circuit runs anti/counter clockwise while the outer runs clockwise.

Name:	April 2 trio.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	379.6 KB
ID:	42613

There are 3 short circuits combinations that can run independently of each other, however one doesn't have a pit complex and would be used as a driving school only.

Name:	April 2 International.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	42610 Click image for larger version

Name:	April 2 Long North.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	330.1 KB
ID:	42611 Click image for larger version

Name:	April 2 Long South.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	42612

The Three short circuit can be combined into three National or International race circuits whilst still allowing one of the three to operate independently.
Old 9 Jun 2014, 16:10 (Ref:3417637)   #25
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
This one has some rudimentary elevation

Running 5.121 km or 3.20 miles clockwise

Name:	May 5 Top.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	42689
Attached Thumbnails
May 5 pit straight.jpg   May 5 back chicane.jpg   May 5 esses.jpg  

May 5 pit exit.jpg