Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 9 Feb 2015, 12:27 (Ref:3503279)   #1
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where to visit in-town?

Hello all.
I thought since I have never been to Le Mans that some of you with experience could give me a few recommendations. Unfortunately, I won't be attending the race. I will be there about a week after. I plan on visiting the museum and the center of town. Are there any other places I should see?

I have followed Le Mans since childhood so this will be a very big deal for me. Not being able to attend the race is already enough to make a grown man cry. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 9 Feb 2015, 13:21 (Ref:3503292)   #2
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well there are plenty of places to see related to the race and also plenty of other places to visit.
I would recommend the cathedral the various bars in the city and as you walk around look out for the brass plates in the paved area's bearing the names and hand prints of all the famous drivers most are close to place de la republic.

If you venture outside the make sure you drive on the open road section of the track, down the mulsane straight and then indianapolis.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 13:38 (Ref:3503294)   #3
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thank you for the recommendations. I will sadly only have the day as I will be with non petrol heads (family). I had heard that if you are nice enough they will let you on the track when visiting the museum. I will definitely visit the cathedral and walk around to see the various brass plates. I'm hoping to see some vestiges of the race still intact.

Thanks again!
Old 9 Feb 2015, 15:17 (Ref:3503307)   #4
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
For a meal have a look at the Le Mans legends restaurant
Old 9 Feb 2015, 15:36 (Ref:3503312)   #5
porman
Veteran

That looks interesting. Can't complain about their motif.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 21:41 (Ref:3503434)   #6
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
For a meal have a look at the Le Mans legends restaurant
That was going to be my recommendation too, killing two birds with one stone and all that! If you go up to the cathedral, just have a walk around the surrounding area there too, some lovely old medieval architecture.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 21:55 (Ref:3503441)   #7
porman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetdave901 View Post
That was going to be my recommendation too, killing two birds with one stone and all that! If you go up to the cathedral, just have a walk around the surrounding area there too, some lovely old medieval architecture.
I have to account for my family members whom aren't totally warped by automobiles and racing. Although, I must confess to enjoying looking at what is by U.S. standards, historic architecture.

Cheers!
Old 9 Feb 2015, 22:10 (Ref:3503453)   #8
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
Although, I must confess to enjoying looking at what is by U.S. standards, historic architecture.

Cheers!
The buildings there are definitely more than 100 years old
Old 10 Feb 2015, 07:25 (Ref:3503546)   #9
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Le Mans old town is one of the best preserved medieval areas in Europe. Take a walk through the narrow streets and alleys and also along the river behind the old town to look at the amazing Roman wall. It is a beautiful area and one that I didn't discover for many years.
Old 10 Feb 2015, 13:05 (Ref:3503652)   #10
porman
Veteran

That sounds very nice. Perhaps I will be able to strike the right balance between cars and culture for everyone.

Thank you!
Old 10 Feb 2015, 13:50 (Ref:3503666)   #11
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Just make sure you find the real old town and not some the other streets which have fairly old buildings in. If you go up the steps to the left of the Cathedral from the Place des Jacobins. Once you get to the top and onto the small square adjacent to the Cathedral entrance, you are in the old town. The main street is to the left with several bars and restaurants. but you can just wander down any of the streets and alleys and in some places they are just quiet residential streets which other than the odd electric light, could have transported you back 300 years.
Old 10 Feb 2015, 13:51 (Ref:3503667)   #12
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Are you in that area of France for much longer? I'm sure we can all make recommendations further afield too.
Old 10 Feb 2015, 18:04 (Ref:3503708)   #13
porman
Veteran

It will mearly be a day stop-over en route to Normandy I'm afraid. The irony is that my wife is French and I have spent a lot of time there, but we can never make Le Mans happen. Cruel and unusual treatment, right!

I really appreciate your kindness. Will you have the pleasure of going to the race this year?
Old 10 Feb 2015, 18:40 (Ref:3503714)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Le Mans old town is one of the best preserved medieval areas in Europe. Take a walk through the narrow streets and alleys and also along the river behind the old town to look at the amazing Roman wall. It is a beautiful area and one that I didn't discover for many years.
Likewise, I hadn't visited it at all until I'd been to Le Mans over 20 times.....!
Old 10 Feb 2015, 19:19 (Ref:3503726)   #15
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Me too, on my 23rd visit I finally went to the old town, very nice over there. A must see for all of us pilgrims.
Old 15 Feb 2015, 17:27 (Ref:3505200)   #16
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Just make sure you find the real old town and not some the other streets which have fairly old buildings in. If you go up the steps to the left of the Cathedral from the Place des Jacobins. Once you get to the top and onto the small square adjacent to the Cathedral entrance, you are in the old town. The main street is to the left with several bars and restaurants. but you can just wander down any of the streets and alleys and in some places they are just quiet residential streets which other than the odd electric light, could have transported you back 300 years.
500 or 600 years for some of the buildings.

Here some pictures : http://www.vos-photos.eu/jeanmichel61/galerie_698.htm
Old 18 Feb 2015, 12:22 (Ref:3506157)   #17
porman
Veteran

Here I thought that I was only going to be interested in racing related areas. Amazing pictures. Merci beaucoup!
Old 18 Feb 2015, 17:46 (Ref:3506230)   #18
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
I can tell you one place not to go to in Le Mans. I'm usually one for the old saying that my mom taught me, about not saying anything if you don't have something nice to say. However, my experience at a particular restaurant in Le Mans was so terrible, so atrocious, so downright rude and uncalled for that I have taken it as my personal mission to disparage them in any possible venue. Do not go to the restaurant La Chamade! They ruined my Friday night last year!
Old 19 Feb 2015, 18:38 (Ref:3506739)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not heard of that one.....

Largely good reviews - but not entirely....

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaur..._la_Loire.html
Old 19 Feb 2015, 19:33 (Ref:3506757)   #20
Michel Vaillant
Racer

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Michel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMichel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi

First, be welcome in Le Mans gentlemen

You can go to the city centre by tram ("Ligne T1 Université") from the track (Antares Station, near the Houx campsite).
In centre, the "cité Plantagenêt" is a must. Beautiful old buildings and very pretty atmosphere. See the beautiful roman wall near the Sarthe River. You can eat in a typical restaurant (lot of restaurants in the centre).

So, you can go to the cinéma in Place des Jacobins or drink a beer on a terrace. And Le Mans is a good place to shopping (Galeries Lafayette etc.).

Near Le Mans, you can see "châteaux de la Loire" near Tours, at the south (about 1 hour by speedway or 1h30 by national free road). Or, more away, the city of Rennes or Nantes at west (brittany).
And the towns of Sablé sur Sarthe (south of department) , Château du Loire, are pretty.

And don't skip the huge party in Republic Place (city centre) after the drivers parade

See you !
Old 19 Feb 2015, 19:56 (Ref:3506766)   #21
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
And a welcome to the forum for you! Thank you for the helpful information from a local. I always enjoy seeing what the local people from Le Mans have to suggest to us visitors.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 20:17 (Ref:3506774)   #22
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Welcome to the forum Michel, it is always good to welcome more locals those of us that have visited your wonderful city for many years are always aware just how friendly the local population can be to those that visit once a year please keep an eye on the forum as we approach June and remember you will be very welcome to come along to the meeting on the Saturday and meet the forum in person,
Old 19 Feb 2015, 20:31 (Ref:3506781)   #23
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel Vaillant View Post
Hi

First, be welcome in Le Mans gentlemen

You can go to the city centre by tram ("Ligne T1 Université") from the track (Antares Station, near the Houx campsite).
In centre, the "cité Plantagenêt" is a must. Beautiful old buildings and very pretty atmosphere. See the beautiful roman wall near the Sarthe River. You can eat in a typical restaurant (lot of restaurants in the centre).

So, you can go to the cinéma in Place des Jacobins or drink a beer on a terrace. And Le Mans is a good place to shopping (Galeries Lafayette etc.).

Near Le Mans, you can see "châteaux de la Loire" near Tours, at the south (about 1 hour by speedway or 1h30 by national free road). Or, more away, the city of Rennes or Nantes at west (brittany).
And the towns of Sablé sur Sarthe (south of department) , Château du Loire, are pretty.

And don't skip the huge party in Republic Place (city centre) after the drivers parade

See you !
Hey another local! Welcome to you!
Old 20 Feb 2015, 11:03 (Ref:3506985)   #24
Michel Vaillant
Racer

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Michel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMichel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi guys, thanks for your welcome

If you want see a nice castle in Sarthe, you can visit the "château du Lude", in the village of Le Lude, at southern of department.

Near Le Mans, the Abbaye of l'Epeau :

And don't forget to eat "Rillettes of Le Mans" on french bread

Old 20 Feb 2015, 14:40 (Ref:3507062)   #25
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
We went their last year, had a guided tour around the castle and even with a disabled friend they were very good and tried hard to translate and explain in english as we slowly went around, a very enjoyable way to spend a and back in plenty of time for evening practice