Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 9 Oct 2019, 21:48 (Ref:3932993)   #5126
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
So, any more senior tenthers remember F1 driver Leslie Marr? Now 97 years old, and later in life a professional artist.....

Gather that there’s a docu in the making on F1 history, and he’s about the oldest living driver.

http://www.historicracing.com/driver...?driverID=7491
Funnily enough I was researching info about oldest surviving GP drivers only recently and (Sir) Leslie Marr is right up there, with only Kenneth McAlpine older. KM has just turned 99.

From my research (I should have asked Bob!) Sir Leslie had 2 (championship) Grand Prix to his name, firstly the 1954 British GP at Silverstone where he finished 13th in a Connaught A Lea Francis.

In 1955, Marr was driving the Connaught model B Aalta for the British Grand Prix at Aintree. He retired with brake failure.

These are his only two Formula One appearances. He also did 22 non championship GPs from 1952-1955

He continued to race in other categories, including third place at the Lady Wigram Trophy in Christchurch New Zealand..

I look forward to seeing the doco when it airs. I love stuff like that.

If anyone is interested the surviving Championship GP Nonagenarians:

1. Kenneth McAlpine, 99 y.o (British)
2. Sir Leslie Marr 97 years old (British)
3. Ken Kavanagh, 95 years old (Australian)
4. Hermano da Silva Ramos 92 years old (will be 93 this year) (French Brazilian.)
Old 9 Oct 2019, 22:29 (Ref:3933000)   #5127
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Born in the Midlands, made in the Royal Navy"

Ruined on Ten Tenths.
Old 10 Oct 2019, 02:04 (Ref:3933023)   #5128
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Another championship leaves the BRSCC. Last year it was the F1000 (Formula Jedi) championship that went to 750 mc.

Would interesting to know why rather than whats stated. Not sure what grids were like but they last year combined with the Porsche Championship I think on occassion.

I think it is pretty much what is generally known - 750 race prices are cheaper, membership of 750 is cheaper than BRSCC, and 750 are a well known and highly regarded organisation. Alfa races have been low on entries this year, but there were certainly issues about merging with a handful or so of Porsche entries, particularly when BRSCC insisted (as at Croft) on the Porsches being set off first - despite many of the Alfas being quicker in qualy.....
Old 10 Oct 2019, 04:36 (Ref:3933041)   #5129
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Sorry Mike Mis read later & car.
No prob!
Old 10 Oct 2019, 05:47 (Ref:3933046)   #5130
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
"Born in the Midlands, made in the Royal Navy"

Ruined on Ten Tenths.
Oh, I think I was ruined a long time before I joined here, Bob!
Old 10 Oct 2019, 05:55 (Ref:3933048)   #5131
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I think it is pretty much what is generally known - 750 race prices are cheaper, membership of 750 is cheaper than BRSCC, and 750 are a well known and highly regarded organisation. Alfa races have been low on entries this year, but there were certainly issues about merging with a handful or so of Porsche entries, particularly when BRSCC insisted (as at Croft) on the Porsches being set off first - despite many of the Alfas being quicker in qualy.....
Surprised that 750 has the room on its calendar, and at its meetings, for any more series! Good luck to them.
Old 10 Oct 2019, 06:23 (Ref:3933051)   #5132
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Not me , current situation is 30 miles away fromEstoril . Another McDonalds for me tonight . What a life 😀
Don’t they have any other food in Spain and Portugal?
Old 10 Oct 2019, 06:45 (Ref:3933056)   #5133
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Oh, I think I was ruined a long time before I joined here, Bob!
I feel the same Andy, in fact being on here has just furthered my ruination (aided considerably by certain individuals).
Old 10 Oct 2019, 06:47 (Ref:3933057)   #5134
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I remember a "restaurant ouvrier" serving vey good grilled cockerels located in Estoril. Affordable and enjoyable. No pizza unfortunately!
Old 10 Oct 2019, 06:50 (Ref:3933059)   #5135
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I remember a "restaurant ouvrier" serving vey good grilled cockerels located in Estoril. Affordable and enjoyable. No pizza unfortunately!
Some great eateries in Cascais just along from Estoril and IIRC not expensive.
Old 10 Oct 2019, 07:07 (Ref:3933061)   #5136
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Some great eateries in Cascais just along from Estoril and IIRC not expensive.
Hang on Chaps, we get quite enough cooking programs on BBC.
Old 10 Oct 2019, 07:19 (Ref:3933062)   #5137
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I feel the same Andy, in fact being on here has just furthered my ruination (aided considerably by certain individuals).
Far from being ruined here, I have found my life has blossomed since joining Tenths, well once I stopped posting on the F1 forum.

Without the Historic section I would never come across characters like Mike H, Viva, Lanky, Andy, Brands, Peter, etc., etc.

Imagine how dull life would be without their contributions, and the wisdom of Mike Bell, the travelogues of Delta, RBS's, knowledge of old things, and that is not even mentioning Gerry Mohammed and EB!

Maybe it is because I never joined the Navy.

Mick asked Paddy if it was him or his brother that was drowned at sea?
That must have been me brother, said Paddy, 'cos I was never I the Navy

Did I take my pills this morning ………..?
Old 10 Oct 2019, 07:33 (Ref:3933064)   #5138
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Right Peter, Cascais rather than Estoril which is a kind of Deauville or Brighton. Almost same location but ambiance and pricing are "slightly" different!
Old 10 Oct 2019, 07:44 (Ref:3933065)   #5139
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I recall the Portuguese GP of 1988 when we stayed in a hotel on the beach, well on the side of the rail line by the beach. There were tunnels from the hotel to get to said swimming area. It was full of journos and one evening in the bar, we got the scoop on Mansell's move to Ferrari, way before it appeared in the mags. I guess it was a bit like a live version of Twitter.
Old 10 Oct 2019, 10:30 (Ref:3933081)   #5140
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I thought Mansell’s move to Ferrari was announced at the 88 British GP?
Old 10 Oct 2019, 11:10 (Ref:3933090)   #5141
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Trying to think now. IIRC he said he was giving up not moving to Ferrari. He also did this in 1990 before moving back to Team Willy.
Old 10 Oct 2019, 11:17 (Ref:3933092)   #5142
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Trying to think now. IIRC he said he was giving up not moving to Ferrari. He also did this in 1990 before moving back to Team Willy.

So the way the scoops worked and were remembered were about as accurate, reliable and accountable then as Twitter is now?

Some things never change!
Old 10 Oct 2019, 11:19 (Ref:3933094)   #5143
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I think that was my point.
Old 10 Oct 2019, 11:30 (Ref:3933098)   #5144
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I see the suggestion from Prof Dame Sally Davies that eating should be banned on commuter trains and buses has been twisted by most of the media to ALL public transport. Surely there’s a difference between kids snacking on the school bus to a business person travelling from London to Edinburgh by train......

Ah, Jezza Vine has just back tracked. Give me strength.....
Old 10 Oct 2019, 11:49 (Ref:3933104)   #5145
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Surprised that 750 has the room on its calendar, and at its meetings, for any more series! Good luck to them.

They do seem to have a lot of activity around and about.

Maybe they have plans for further expansion that would be best funded by adding a few more series that are already up and running?

I noticed that several of their meetings this year had live streaming broadcasts and what looked like full length (in racing terms) recordings available on line. A sort of lower cost version of Goodwood media!

That could be attractive as a bait for whatever new series they wish to attract. (Assuming it continues in the future ...)
Old 10 Oct 2019, 12:21 (Ref:3933109)   #5146
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
They do seem to have a lot of activity around and about.
Maybe they have plans for further expansion that would be best funded by adding a few more series that are already up and running?
I noticed that several of their meetings this year had live streaming broadcasts and what looked like full length (in racing terms) recordings available on line. A sort of lower cost version of Goodwood media!
That could be attractive as a bait for whatever new series they wish to attract. (Assuming it continues in the future ...)
They run a lot of meetings and that requires time and resources. Not sure how many people they employ but when I have popped in to their office there are usually about 5 people about and i know there is a Committee behind that.
When i suggested to CSCC that we should expand the number of meetings to split the Mag 7 and Future Classic grids (full to busting) and help cover some of the guest series we have now had to put off such as the Porsche Club, Ferraris and Morgans i was told that we were at capacity for the staff and volunteer workload and didnt want to diminish quality of service to members. Fair enough.
Old 10 Oct 2019, 16:54 (Ref:3933149)   #5147
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Right Peter, Cascais rather than Estoril which is a kind of Deauville or Brighton. Almost same location but ambiance and pricing are "slightly" different!
I think you will find the ambience of just about anywhere is better than Brighton these days, Gerard!
Old 10 Oct 2019, 16:56 (Ref:3933150)   #5148
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Some things never change!
Well lets say many things are improved, digital grapevine works well. Just got this info from Chinese whispers… No worry, will keep you informed!
Old 10 Oct 2019, 17:43 (Ref:3933151)   #5149
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I recall the Portuguese GP of 1988 when we stayed in a hotel on the beach, well on the side of the rail line by the beach. There were tunnels from the hotel to get to said swimming area. It was full of journos and one evening in the bar, we got the scoop on Mansell's move to Ferrari, way before it appeared in the mags. I guess it was a bit like a live version of Twitter.
I was there in 1989 when Mansell reversed in the pit lane and later collided with Senna. We drove along the coast and stopped for a few days in the Algarve before continuing on the to Spanish GP at Jerez - OMG! seems like a lifetime away
Old 10 Oct 2019, 20:06 (Ref:3933180)   #5150
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
John, great to see you again! Hope life treats you well. Brighton no more snobby those days? Never mind! I do remember Herne bay and Ramsgate may be they've changed too…*