Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Feb 2011, 09:42 (Ref:2825549)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
RaceCam..

Aussies Taking On The World

I wonder if the RaceCam technology is still patented and used at the international races. We kinda take for granted that bikes, cars and just about everything else has a camera sticking out of somewhere or other, but its interesting to see that the original concept and execution refinement is an Australian innovation

These were the days when Mr Raymond seemed to have a rather healthy development budget for the touring car coverage.. and stuff like this just blew people away.. then as now..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 4 Feb 2011, 13:14 (Ref:2825655)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I remember when we first got coverage of Bathurst on the Saturday afternoon 'Grandstand' programme. How amazed we were at onboard coverage, moving cameras and then chat's with the driver during the race. It made the coverage we had seem prehistoric.
Old 4 Feb 2011, 22:47 (Ref:2825950)   #3
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
CBS did debut their Raceview in-car camera system in February 1979 at the Daytona 500, ie 8 months before Channel 7 did.

But the Channel 7 system was far superior then the CBS system, and although CBS persisted with their Raceview system for 1980, by 1981 they were using the Channel 7 system, but only from '82 did CBS start using the Racecam name.
Old 4 Feb 2011, 23:47 (Ref:2825977)   #4
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
-
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 5 Feb 2011, 04:22 (Ref:2826003)   #5
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I always thought RaceCam gave better views and picture quality than some of the crappy lipstick cameras they use now. Some of the set ups in the cars give a security camera like view of vagueness and also often the set up really shows nothing of value.

The cameras they use for drivers footwork or the suspension are great, but they could probably work on some better in car setups. Also wouldn't mind cameras being back on the outside of vehicles a bit more or down low on the front fender area.
Old 5 Feb 2011, 05:35 (Ref:2826013)   #6
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
agree with mountain star, the lippy cams don't give to full view, prefer the in car ones that traverse, also, didn't Bob J introduce some stuff at Tunder Dome that is now standard in NASCAR?
Old 5 Feb 2011, 06:30 (Ref:2826022)   #7
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 'Perkins bar' spoilt the in-car camera views in many ways

During CBS's last Daytona 500 coverage in 2000, they give mention to the RaceCam help they received off 7 back in the early 80s
Old 6 Feb 2011, 08:21 (Ref:2826399)   #8
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The 1979 CBS RaceView system. They don't build 'em like that anymore.

Old 9 Feb 2011, 06:38 (Ref:2828165)   #9
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I always thought RaceCam gave better views and picture quality than some of the crappy lipstick cameras they use now. Some of the set ups in the cars give a security camera like view of vagueness and also often the set up really shows nothing of value.

The cameras they use for drivers footwork or the suspension are great, but they could probably work on some better in car setups. Also wouldn't mind cameras being back on the outside of vehicles a bit more or down low on the front fender area.
It's not as much the quality of the cameras but the way in which the signal is now sent. The signal used to be microwaved to a chopper but now receivers are placed around the track and are much more susceptible to interference, also the digital signal is heavily compressed so that also means the picture is not as stable as analogue.
The compression means that more cameras can be used per race.
Old 11 Feb 2011, 04:12 (Ref:2829465)   #10
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was certain V8TV still use analogue broadcast for their onboard cameras... the quality and the way it breaks up during interference points to it being analogue technology.

The only time I have seen digital used was in one particular car during last years Bathurst 1000 - all other cars during the race were still analogue. The difference was huge.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 11 Feb 2011, 06:31 (Ref:2829487)   #11
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan View Post
The only time I have seen digital used was in one particular car during last years Bathurst 1000 - all other cars during the race were still analogue. The difference was huge.

I think that was a twin camera setup for testing 3d TV at Bathurst IIRC...

Last edited by St00ge; 11 Feb 2011 at 06:38.
Old 11 Feb 2011, 09:08 (Ref:2829529)   #12
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
The 'Perkins bar' spoilt the in-car camera views in many ways

During CBS's last Daytona 500 coverage in 2000, they give mention to the RaceCam help they received off 7 back in the early 80s
While watching the ESPN coverage of the '87 Winston 500 (yes, I am living in the past) I noticed that ESPN's onscreen graphics referred to the their on-board cameras as Racecam.

I had assumed that only 7 and CBS officially used the "Racecam" name.
Old 12 Feb 2011, 10:52 (Ref:2830043)   #13
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
I liked the "tilt and pan" that the old racecams had. On the other hand,
sensationalist 7 did go a lot over board with technology in the '80's

Remember the "live cross" so the Daisy Hill serial whinger could talk to
some America's Cup yachtsman during one B'hurst? WTF was that about?